These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Things you'd like to see changed in mining.

First post
Author
Sister Bertrille
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#41 - 2014-09-19 15:54:49 UTC
More hedbergite and hemorphite anomolies in high sec.
Add a small percentage of megacyte to one or both.

A second turret on the skiff.

Eliminate the broken mechanic of getting stuck on a rock.

Gabber359
0.0 Massive Dynamic
Pandemic Horde
#42 - 2014-09-19 17:37:56 UTC
Part of me likes reading these threads, always hoping CCP take notice....

...but they never do.

They need to step up and deliver the Rorq redevelopment promised for 1.1. That would be a great start. Already overdue, so much for their vaunted 6-week cycle.

-As previously mentioned, lack of low ends in nullsec and an overabundance of high ends. (Wtb a Veld rock the size of a moon).
-Not getting stuck on rocks +
-Fix Mining drones. When I started out (Halada's guide) I used to sit no further then 1000m from a rock and unleash drones. This upped my isk/hr quite nicely. Now, with the removal of grav sites and changes to inties there's no chance in hell I'll risk getting stuck.

-Capital mining ship (capital strip miners!). Look at Chribba (Veldnought, Veldbus), take note. Mining is really, really, really boring and a poor way of making money. Eg, a well fitted Marauder or Mach can pump out 100mil/hr+ doing sanctums and such, while you barely break that mark running a maxed out Rorqual booster + 4 maxed out miners + implants. Even lvl4s/Incurions are better and at least less boring.
-T3 mining ship, customisable.

Rorq update first though please.Ugh

The only thing I fear, is running out of beer !

Davinthan
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#43 - 2014-10-19 21:55:47 UTC
One change would increase mining yeld and improve safety would be auto targeting roids so lasers never go offline.

Several miners could clear a belt fasters exposing themselves less.
Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#44 - 2014-10-20 05:10:13 UTC
Tenchi Sal wrote:
CCP's Mineral Welfare Program should probably go away already. The current asteroid spawning system highly benefits Russians/Europeans while leaving players from other time zones with the scraps. There should be some balance on roid spawning mechanics. Same with Ice spawning, I've seen European players go nuts just before down time trying to mine out that last bit of Ice so they can have themselves a fresh new belt without waiting out the 4 hour timer like everyone else does.

Here's a workaround: move to Europe.
Aurelius Valentius
Valentius Corporation
#45 - 2014-10-20 07:06:53 UTC
I would like to see the T1 and T2 ammo being used respectively.... T1 mining = T1 crystals, T2 = T1/2 use.

This should be done to make the mining lasers in line with any other system using ammo in the game, and could be done very simply by adjusting the base mining amounts on the T1 units - if you look at them and the numbers and T2 you see this is very easy to accomplish... it would then with a repass on the skills be something that would be very good for mining... LvL 1 for entry to that T1 ore ammo and reprocessing level with it, etc...

Anyway, I don't want to post a wall here, and the math is right in the game, wiki and such - so here is to a logical and rational iteration of mining that makes real sense for people.
Rosira
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#46 - 2014-10-20 17:15:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Rosira
Ore and Ice sites going back to needing to be scanned down.

A more fanciful idea involved being able to break the larger rocks into smaller chunks and maneuver them into a rorq for processing ~ Ore Excavation Laser (on the scale of a DD but only for rocks/ice) The rorq does the breaking and receiving but another ship akin to a noctis does the manuvering
Thanatos Marathon
Moira.
#47 - 2014-10-20 17:25:27 UTC
I would like to see at least a small amount of all rocks available in all types of space to promote regionalization of industry.

The downside would be the reduced need/risk of long range logistics for dedicated regional producers who aren't building in massive volume.
Monja Diste
Upde Harris Industries
#48 - 2014-10-21 00:27:04 UTC
Sister Bertrille wrote:
More hedbergite and hemorphite anomolies in high sec.
Add a small percentage of megacyte to one or both.

A second turret on the skiff.

Eliminate the broken mechanic of getting stuck on a rock.

As an industrialist myself I have to disagree with adding mega to those 2 rock types. If people want Mega either go to null or place a buy order. Adding high end mins to anom spawn rocks in Hi is not a fix, it just adds one more reason to not do industry in null.

Ice needs to change. Having ice anoms spawn like clockwork is no different from having a fixed belt. Move Ice to cosmic sigs like gas clouds and at least make people work to get it rather than set an alarm clock

Skiff is fine as is. Serves its purpose of lowish yield with better tank. If you crank up the yield on a skiff then you are technbiclly asking for more reward with less risk.

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#49 - 2014-10-21 01:38:35 UTC
I posted something on this a fair time ago Smile

Short form:
The basic process of mining works. There are many people who mine, because they don't want to do something that's at all actiony. Just get to a roid, and mine it for a few hours to relax.

I don't particularly see that change (only thing to do at that point would be to add something more active, but that's time limited in some fashion.

Where I would like to see changes is with the meta around mining. Static respawning asteroid belts offend me. What I'd prefer is the ability to prospect for your own sites to mine, and one you have them, you can stake a claim on it (at least in high and low) where if anyone else 'claimjumps' you can, umm, interact with them. More than a suspect flag, something longer term, and more targeted. (Kill right style)

I'd prefer claims were at corporation level (So NPC corp members can't claim them. An actual, mechanics based, reason for miners to join a PC corp. As there really isn't one right now) and possibly able to be set open.

The act of prospecting would create the site (so no 'I claim all the sites in a system), and it would be able to support a reasonable number of characters mining, for a reasonable length of time. Big corps would have a reason to have dedicated prospectors, so they can keep their miners actually mining, rather than every so often, a player has to go scan their own site.

Claims could also be sold, allowing freelancers to have a market.

I'd also like to see mining missions updated, to have actual ore in them as well. Which would allow for people who don't want to mess with that side, to be able to make an income.

The lore has ORE finding a huge asteroid with lots of nocxium, which led to their current preeminence in mining. I don't want to see it go quite that far. But something similar.

Yes, it would then be harder to find miners to gank. But it's not like people don't gank mission runners. Just takes a little more effort.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Tij Lamor
Doomheim
#50 - 2014-10-21 15:39:35 UTC
I really like the idea of prospecting - particularly more valuable ores and ices. A mobile depot would allow a barge/exhumer to fit for prospecting and then refit for ore/ice depending on what they found.

Discoveries should be similar to current small anomalies with a mix of good quality ores suited for solo or small group mining.

Conventional belts of Veldspar and Scordite will best suit fleet mining and new players who haven't trained prospecting skills.

This past weekend I mined several ore anomalies and noticed that a barge full of Pyroxeres is currently worth more than the same barge full of Jaspet, Hermorphite, or Hedbergite so where is the incentive to mine in lowsec or nulsec? A few will go for the adventure but most people are risk adverse - "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush".

It's understood that ganking is an honorable profession in Eve but there are a couple of pain points. First, the gank squad can use bumping to tackle their prey with no consequences. I'm not objecting to the tackle but the fact that it is not considered an act of aggression seems unbalanced! Second, an entire squad of gank Catalysts can be controlled by a single player using tools like ISBoxer. I don't object to multiboxing as long as each instance is controlled separately but I believe CCP should follow the lead of other MMO's and ban tools that allow a command to be sent to all instances simultaneously - yes I realize that miners also abuse these tools - it will be a better game without them.
Black Pedro
Mine.
#51 - 2014-10-21 17:36:13 UTC
Davinthan wrote:
One change would increase mining yeld and improve safety would be auto targeting roids so lasers never go offline.

Holy God, could you be more bot-aspirant? Maybe you would like a 'remote mining bot' that strips the belts for you with no work and no risk while you remain safely in a station as well?
Barbara Nichole
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#52 - 2014-10-21 19:52:55 UTC
Black Pedro wrote:
Davinthan wrote:

Holy God, could you be more bot-aspirant? Maybe you would like a 'remote mining bot' that strips the belts for you with no work and no risk while you remain safely in a station as well?

"bot-aspirant?" could you be more of a code sycophant? or maybe you're just a code alt. I'm not fond of his idea but code roll play terminology sucks wads.

- remove the cloaked from local; free intel is the real problem, not  "afk" cloaking -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/DawnFrostbringer/consultsig.jpg[/IMG]

Vincenzo Arbosa
Locust Assets
#53 - 2014-10-21 20:55:00 UTC
I love this entire idea. The inclusion of scanning/exploration into the mining scheme seems like the way to go, and allowing claims (and claim jumpers) would make things a bit more strategic and interactive.

Good stuff.

Steve Ronuken wrote:
I posted something on this a fair time ago Smile

Short form:
The basic process of mining works. There are many people who mine, because they don't want to do something that's at all actiony. Just get to a roid, and mine it for a few hours to relax.

I don't particularly see that change (only thing to do at that point would be to add something more active, but that's time limited in some fashion.

Where I would like to see changes is with the meta around mining. Static respawning asteroid belts offend me. What I'd prefer is the ability to prospect for your own sites to mine, and one you have them, you can stake a claim on it (at least in high and low) where if anyone else 'claimjumps' you can, umm, interact with them. More than a suspect flag, something longer term, and more targeted. (Kill right style)

I'd prefer claims were at corporation level (So NPC corp members can't claim them. An actual, mechanics based, reason for miners to join a PC corp. As there really isn't one right now) and possibly able to be set open.

The act of prospecting would create the site (so no 'I claim all the sites in a system), and it would be able to support a reasonable number of characters mining, for a reasonable length of time. Big corps would have a reason to have dedicated prospectors, so they can keep their miners actually mining, rather than every so often, a player has to go scan their own site.

Claims could also be sold, allowing freelancers to have a market.

I'd also like to see mining missions updated, to have actual ore in them as well. Which would allow for people who don't want to mess with that side, to be able to make an income.

The lore has ORE finding a huge asteroid with lots of nocxium, which led to their current preeminence in mining. I don't want to see it go quite that far. But something similar.

Yes, it would then be harder to find miners to gank. But it's not like people don't gank mission runners. Just takes a little more effort.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." 
Barbara Nichole
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#54 - 2014-10-21 22:25:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Barbara Nichole
Not interested in changing anything about current rock mining...except adding a lot more mineral types and uses for them. I would like to see metalurgy adding something like alloy production and see alloy useful in it's own right instead of treating it like a by-product. I would like a new class of production items "fasteners" - nuts and bolt, glues and ties, screws and caulking necessary for construction with the purpose of giving young manufacturers a way to be further inolved in larger construction projects. Yes, this would add to bp manufacturing.

Comet mining - either as outlined earlier or something else. Whatever it is it needs to add pve danger to mining... and I'd like to see a more complicated comet mining meta game to add value to the operation. A High speed and adrenaline producing activity would be appreciated. I liked the idea posted some time back of requiring some type of cooperative comet mining between players to increase value as long as its tough (read difficult for a single player to pull off with many accounts.

Advanced Gas Harvesting - requiring new or modified ships and modules. Do not change anything about the current gas mining.. instead add solar plasma harvesting that requires advanced heat management, avoidance of flares, and possibly managing gravity and solar wind. Add weird and dangerous harvesting of dark matter.

Create new uses for these mining types so as not to flood markets with existing material and to give us new skills to train.

Would like a better range of mining rigs..and mining implants that would allow better fine tuning for different situations.

Bring back some of the value to high sec at least for things that really have little value or place in null sec areas. High sec should not be low sec or null sec lite. It should be it's own thing with equality in play to other areas. Yes, high sec can be more dangerous than other areas. Accept that, recognize the risk and return commensurate value for that risk. (no, I don't want to hear how you made 3 billion on the market without hearing what you spent and how long it took and how many people were involved) in fairness trade is not just a high sec activity; you can engage in the high sec market without living in high sec or even traveling into high sec.

to be continued...

I would like the ability to create a mining camp in a belt. It would use asteroids as part of the camp the way they are used in some mission plexes. They could not be build in null sec or high sec.. low sec only. They would be temporary and would include no shield but they would not be made out of paper mache the way some POSes are. ...no taking out of a mining camp with a few cruisers sorry. The camp would have sentries, give a small boost to mining, and have a storage locker. When the belt empties the camp would disappear.

- remove the cloaked from local; free intel is the real problem, not  "afk" cloaking -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/DawnFrostbringer/consultsig.jpg[/IMG]

Ms Forum Alt
Doomheim
#55 - 2014-10-21 23:15:40 UTC
Not sure why you need a shield rep/buff ship. We have loads that can do the job already. Your standard T2 barge should be able to handle spawns no problem if you fit them properly (i.e. not 3 x Mining Upgrade II) and train up skills. If you want protection it's going to cost you a character and an RR Domi or similar. That seems entirely fair to me.

If in doubt, GTFO. Lol
Khun SP
Paramite Factories
#56 - 2014-10-22 22:12:14 UTC
I like the idea about comet mining.

Tinu Moorhsum wrote:
Tenchi Sal wrote:
Wanted to start a list of things miners wanted to see changed in hopes that it may catch some of the devs attention.

I'm not going to make myself popular here.

I mine irregularly. I mine in high sec. I have a very busy job in real life and I like to mine BECAUSE it's slow. I use it to relax and to take the time to get my head out of the tornado.

I mine because it allows me to chat with friends and contacts within and outside EVE while I'm doing something that contributes to my manufacturing.

I've been doing this since 2005 in this way.

and I think it's perfect

working

as

intended

If I were to change one thing about mining, it would be this: to make high sec asteroid belts have about the same size rocks as null sec belts but fewer of them. I don't need to be kept entertained while I'm mining. I entertain myself. CCP's idea that miners need entertainment by constantly moving aroudn and locking new rocks is the wrong paradigm. What miners are after is not action... it's the exact oposite of action. It's rest.

Adjujst the size of the rocks. The isk per hour can remain the same.

T-

What about ice mining for your relax? There's nothing more... quiet... than that. You want to be a cactus, then go ice mining.

IMHO the ore mining is boring and needs a revamp, something that makes it more challenging or entertaining. At the moment the only "fun" about it is calculating the roids size and guess what % of your miner cycle is enough before de-activating your module at the precise moment the roid pops so you waste less time. And you sir are proposing to get rid of this only entertaining part of nowadays mining.

You still can relax and chat/afk while ore mining you are just going to earn less iskies, that's fair IMO as active players should earn more, that's the incentive.

Arronicus
State War Academy
Caldari State
#57 - 2014-10-23 02:56:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Arronicus
Tenchi Sal wrote:

#1 on everyone's list I'm sure is how incredibly boring mining is. .

Not at all.

Mining is relaxing, its something a lot of us can do while doing something else at the same time, like watch tv, work on homework, or just talk to others without having to focus quite as much with other pve activities. There are often cries to make mining 'more exciting' or more 'action intensive', and they never come from the large scale mining operations for good reason: Mining is not boring, when you get a good size gig going.

Making mining more action intensive would serve to nerf the abilities of players who don't want to be completely focused to mine, would nerf much of large scale nullsec mining, while incentivizing it for players who don't mine much as is. I think you would see a huge drop in nullsec mineral production, with highsec mineral production being harder to predict, probably going up in the short term, then dropping off. I don't think it would be good for the game.

Now, IF they were to add different mining activities, like ring mining, comet mining, whatever, that in themselves required more activity, more of a minigame, or even active attention, say, directing miners through a shifting contrail, I think that would satisfy both groups, the current minerbase, and players who think they'd like to mine if it were more engaging.
Gorr Shakor
No Country for Old Nerds
Brave United
#58 - 2014-10-23 10:11:38 UTC
Cidanel Afuran wrote:
Comet Mining.

A comet spawns randomly in a system, it has ice as an outer layer, once the ice is gone, it has minerals as a second layer, and when that is gone, a little moon goo as the core. There is a trail of gas that can be mined as well.

The trick is, it moves at 1000 m/s (unless you web it), and particles fall off (so you take damage from the comet itself while mining).

It has to be scanned down to be found.

Oh, I like this idea!
Ms Forum Alt
Doomheim
#59 - 2014-10-23 11:10:15 UTC
Gorr Shakor wrote:
Cidanel Afuran wrote:
Comet Mining.

A comet spawns randomly in a system, it has ice as an outer layer, once the ice is gone, it has minerals as a second layer, and when that is gone, a little moon goo as the core. There is a trail of gas that can be mined as well.

The trick is, it moves at 1000 m/s (unless you web it), and particles fall off (so you take damage from the comet itself while mining).

Oh, I like this idea!

I remember posting this idea back in late 2003, so don't get your hopes up! Lol
Gorr Shakor
No Country for Old Nerds
Brave United
#60 - 2014-10-23 11:43:27 UTC
Ms Forum Alt wrote:
Gorr Shakor wrote:
Cidanel Afuran wrote:
Comet Mining.

Oh, I like this idea!

I remember posting this idea back in late 2003, so don't get your hopes up! Lol

But...but...

That's like approaching a someone in 1998, holding a brand-spanking-new Nokia 6110, proclaiming "Let's take a selfie!". It would leave said person completely baffled!

Now is a more appropriate time for such shenanigans! Cool

*crosses fingers*