These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Should I buy a character +Bonus rambling newbie questions

Author
Periox Osseaw
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2014-10-21 13:05:29 UTC
So a couple months ago I moved out to Nullsec after an amicable parting with my previous highsec based corporation and fun but not particularly profitable stint flying Punishers around lowsec. I've been enjoying myself.... but I have noticed what feels like a problem to me.

My current alliance (and most of the alliances I have seen) do not have newbie-friendly content. That's not to say they're rude or mean to newbies- I've grown to quite like many of them. The difficulty is that roams and most other events are heavily standardized, and varied- IE, aimed at 5+ year-old characters who have had time to train skills in multiple popular fleet doctrines. For me, on the other hand, training any of the doctrines put forward would take several months, and I'd have to wait for another roam to occur with that particular doctrine to get use out of those skills.

So the gist of it is this: It feels like PvP content is optimized for older characters, likely because they make up more/most of the Nullsec population. With that in mind:

Do I need to spend money on enough PLEX to buy a character to meaningfully and REGULARLY participate in PvP within the next six months or so? If I don't buy a character, how long might it take to become skilled in sufficiently many areas that I can participate in many roams? Or is this quasi-problem specific to my corp?

I just finished training for Covops craft and stealth bomber related skills, so stealth bombers are the one thing I can fly effectively in PvP. Presently, I'm moving on to my corp's Omen doctrine.

As a final note: I feel like my personal knowledge of the game and it's mechanics is advancing faster than my skills allow me to take advantage of, which, as you might guess, is very frustrating. Am I
a)Probably fooling myself about how much I know and can handle
b)Undergoing a normal experiences that afflicts many new players
c)Something else entirely

Bit of a rambling post, but no advice that's even vaguely related to the post contents will upset me.

Chemma Chi
Quantum Fusion
#2 - 2014-10-21 13:14:25 UTC
Do your friends not need tacklers all the time?

Just off the top of my brain, that's what I would do/was doing when I was new in 0.0. It's useful, you fly cheap fits, you get used to distance keeping and travelling around battlefields. You should also get used to surviving this way. I didn't.

Anyway, do ask them! If they do - you will be always welcome. You will gain experience. You will have time to train up other skills for shooting etc.

I hope I'm not too far off here, I haven't played much. :>
L'ouris
Have Naught Subsidiaries
#3 - 2014-10-21 13:19:00 UTC
i had a similiar experience when I wanted to focus on flying t1 ships but all the corp doctrines wanted Tengus and HACs and capital ships.

My solution was to go bum around low sec more so I could focus on what I wanted to fly.

Given that you sound like you like the idea of working with a team of corp mates, I would suggest that you find a corp that lives in low sec and flys with a little less discipline. That would give you the group you would enjoy while you skill up to the fancier boats.

Others I know simply sucked it up until they could fly the fancy doctrines, so there is always that option I guess :)
J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#4 - 2014-10-21 13:51:33 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Periox Osseaw wrote:
So a couple months ago I moved out to Nullsec after an amicable parting with my previous highsec based corporation and fun but not particularly profitable stint flying Punishers around lowsec. I've been enjoying myself.... but I have noticed what feels like a problem to me.

My current alliance (and most of the alliances I have seen) do not have newbie-friendly content. That's not to say they're rude or mean to newbies- I've grown to quite like many of them. The difficulty is that roams and most other events are heavily standardized, and varied- IE, aimed at 5+ year-old characters who have had time to train skills in multiple popular fleet doctrines. For me, on the other hand, training any of the doctrines put forward would take several months, and I'd have to wait for another roam to occur with that particular doctrine to get use out of those skills.

So the gist of it is this: It feels like PvP content is optimized for older characters, likely because they make up more/most of the Nullsec population. With that in mind:

Do I need to spend money on enough PLEX to buy a character to meaningfully and REGULARLY participate in PvP within the next six months or so? If I don't buy a character, how long might it take to become skilled in sufficiently many areas that I can participate in many roams? Or is this quasi-problem specific to my corp?

I just finished training for Covops craft and stealth bomber related skills, so stealth bombers are the one thing I can fly effectively in PvP. Presently, I'm moving on to my corp's Omen doctrine.

As a final note: I feel like my personal knowledge of the game and it's mechanics is advancing faster than my skills allow me to take advantage of, which, as you might guess, is very frustrating. Am I

Bit of a rambling post, but no advice that's even vaguely related to the post contents will upset me.

Uhm, any roam will always need an extra tackle frigate.

As long as you can:

A. Fly a frigate
B. Fit a prop mod
C. Fit a warp disruptor / warp scrambler.

Any proper fleet will take you along. Sure, you won't be the top DPS guy and you will likely die often, but you can join them.
With the purple fleets I joined (Ganked and RR) I've seen 2 day old characters fly with us, barely able to fit a ship...but they could join, were useful (never bad to have a couple of back up points etc.)

Sure, being able to fit and fly the exact doctrine is nice and makes it easier to feel useful, but not being able should not stop you from doing so.

I used to be a full Drake pilot (as anybody else at that time, cause Drakes were everywhere), then we switched to an AHAC setup. Being a 0 armor trained pilot, while training for the Zealot, I just jumped into support ships (be it tackle, damp, web, ECM) and joined with my frigates / cruisers to assist as best as possible.

Now, with the T1 logi cruisers, it's even easier to still fly with a doctrine if you can't fly the exact fits as we all know, everybody loves the Logi-bros...

Of course, you could also ask your alliance FA what you could/should use if you can't fly the exact doctrine. A proper alliance will understand that some people just don't have "max skills" and might need a temporary replacement option till they can suit the alliance doctrine.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Petre en Thielles
Doomheim
#5 - 2014-10-21 15:05:39 UTC
Periox Osseaw wrote:

Don't spend real money buying plex, but buying a character isn't a bad idea. Personally, I did something similar when I started out. I moved to null and did nothing but mindlessly grind out ice mining until I made a few billion ISK. I then bought a character and started doing PvP. It doesn't take that long to grind out the 5-6 billion ISK needed to buy a character by doing mining/industry in null.
Jessica Duranin
Doomheim
#6 - 2014-10-21 15:41:03 UTC
Periox Osseaw wrote:
As a final note: I feel like my personal knowledge of the game and it's mechanics is advancing faster than my skills allow me to take advantage of, which, as you might guess, is very frustrating.

I know how you feel - it was the same thing for me.
It's one of the big downside of EvEs skill system that while it takes months to skill e.g. for a Guardian it doesn't take months to learn how to fly one. Especially if you are interested in the topic and do a lot of research on it.

Yes, you can get into frigs or T1 cruisers very quickly but personally I would often run into situations where a "smaller" ship just wouldn't do the job.

E.g. the corp I was in at the time had an incursion group. I had already done a ton of research on the subject of flying logistics in incursions and felt like I was ready to start doing it, but I couldn't because my character didn't have the skills for the required ship.

It's not that you can't do anything with low SP - I was already flying T1 logi in our occasional lowsec roams and had a lot of fun doing it - but I found running into those situations where I felt like the only thing holding me back was my lack of skills for the right ship very frustrating as a new player.

However it's something you learn to get used to. You start to focus more on the stuff you can do instead of focusing at the things you want to do but can't yet do.
E.g. in my case I shifted my focus towards lowsec and flew T1 Logis there. Later when I had the skills for T2 logi I started flying incursions and trained for T3s. Eventually I went to w-space, which was sort of my end goal from the beginning.

Personally I wouldn't buy a character, because (unless you buy one with insane amounts of SP) you will still run into the same "problem" later, where you want to do something specific, know how to do it, but just can't due to missing skills.
Brink Albosa
Black Rebel Rifter Club
The Devil's Tattoo
#7 - 2014-10-21 17:22:59 UTC
Periox Osseaw wrote:

You pay the subscription. Why limit yourself to what they wanna fly?

If Stealth Bombers are what you like to fly, you should look into corporations that are more tailored for that. Check out the chat channel Bombers Bar and get in public fleets. Maybe you will find a corp that way that's more your style.

I had a similar experience about 8-10 months ago when I applied for a nullsec pvp corp.

I consider myself a competent frigate pilot and a great scout. Above average at the very least. This corporation required a TeamSpeak interview, and the first recruiter I talked to told me more about the corp and it sounded better and better. He had also told me to kiss high sec goodbye.

What? Did you look at my sec status?

Which later in the week warranted a second interview after my api check. The next interviewer mulled over my skills, complaining how I don't have logi 5, so there are not many fleets I could go on. I'm pretty confident in my ability to generate content on my own and he didn't seem to really care.. I didn't have any trouble training things they asked; sure. But I was hoping my knowledge, experience and where my SP was would help right away.

Sounds to me like you just need to find the right match.
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#8 - 2014-10-21 18:06:30 UTC
Last time our corp got out in it's battleship doctrine, the only guys having a fight were the support ships. Sadly the new guy lost point else he'd have scored his first solo kill. Just sayin'. Lots of groups fly with a dumbass standard that doesn't incorporate low SP options. Others see losing a few of them during a fight as a learning experience and couldn't care less about a few red lines on their killboard. Look for a group doing the latter, you'll have more fun as a new player. It's just dumb to completely ignore additional tackle, ECM, or drone-killing capacity.
Fret Thiesant
Kiwis In Space
Black Rise Matters
#9 - 2014-10-22 12:10:15 UTC
Could be wrong corp for you at this time. Ask yourself if these guys are realllly worth X amount of money to fly with. If the answer is no just look for a good low sec corp. Or look for a null corp that need someone with t1 ship skills.
J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#10 - 2014-10-22 12:36:37 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Fret Thiesant wrote:
Could be wrong corp for you at this time. Ask yourself if these guys are realllly worth X amount of money to fly with. If the answer is no just look for a good low sec corp. Or look for a null corp that need someone with t1 ship skills.

Best advice ever

Say that 1 PLEX = 800 mil.

You will need about 8 - 10 PLEX for a good competent PvP pilot from the bazaar.

For ease of calculation, let's take 8.

6 PLEX = 105 Euro when bought from CCP.
2 PLEX = 35 Euro when bought from CCP

Is staying with that corp, just so you can fly a doctrine tomorrow (10h waiting time on transfer), worth 140 Euro.....

Now, let's take that 140 Euro, it will add more then 1 year of game time to your account (1 year subscription = 131.40 Euro).
In that time you can train for ships, learn how to use them in situations and have fun.

Not to forget, you buy a character specialized in your doctrine "x" and then suddenly FotM changes...and doctrine "y" is there, which your newly bought character can't fly either.

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Rogue Aspire
Redemption Road
Affirmative.
#11 - 2014-10-22 12:38:22 UTC
I believe a lot of players go through that stage. Corps and alliances all do things differently and some change it up so often it is mind boggling.

Not sure what everyone else did but I ended up setting little goals and flew with NPSI fleets. Agony would do their pvp classes and after graduation you could actually go on future class roams as an Alumni. You also have Bomber Bar (someone confirm they are active... last I heard they closed up), Redemption Road, and RvB Ganked. These are just a few NPSI groups that will take in people to roam with.

When your not roaming grind some isk for your ships. If your not happy with your current situation then fix it. Have your friends in a contact list or a friends channel so you can keep in touch. Being a hero tackle or scout isn't a bad thing. While I am skilled to decently fly most subcaps I rather enjoy my ceptor. I have a small stockpile of them and I already consider them lost to the cause.
J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#12 - 2014-10-22 12:41:12 UTC
Rogue Aspire wrote:
I believe a lot of players go through that stage. Corps and alliances all do things differently and some change it up so often it is mind boggling.

Not sure what everyone else did but I ended up setting little goals and flew with NPSI fleets. Agony would do their pvp classes and after graduation you could actually go on future class roams as an Alumni. You also have Bomber Bar (someone confirm they are active... last I heard they closed up), Redemption Road, and RvB Ganked. These are just a few NPSI groups that will take in people to roam with.

When your not roaming grind some isk for your ships. If your not happy with your current situation then fix it. Have your friends in a contact list or a friends channel so you can keep in touch. Being a hero tackle or scout isn't a bad thing. While I am skilled to decently fly most subcaps I rather enjoy my ceptor. I have a small stockpile of them and I already consider them lost to the cause.

BB is "active" again.

Petre en Thielles
Doomheim
#13 - 2014-10-22 19:34:18 UTC
J'Poll wrote:

Best advice ever

Say that 1 PLEX = 800 mil.

You will need about 8 - 10 PLEX for a good competent PvP pilot from the bazaar.

For ease of calculation, let's take 8.

6 PLEX = 105 Euro when bought from CCP.
2 PLEX = 35 Euro when bought from CCP

Is staying with that corp, just so you can fly a doctrine tomorrow (10h waiting time on transfer), worth 140 Euro.....

Now, let's take that 140 Euro, it will add more then 1 year of game time to your account (1 year subscription = 131.40 Euro).
In that time you can train for ships, learn how to use them in situations and have fun.

Not to forget, you buy a character specialized in your doctrine "x" and then suddenly FotM changes...and doctrine "y" is there, which your newly bought character can't fly either.

Why do we assume you have to pay real money to get the few bil ISK to purchase a character? Your numbers are completely wrong too. I can buy a character worth 5bil for 3bil on the character bazaar. There are deals to be made the same as any othe rmarket. Any new player can get 3 bil together in a month or two.

Guide for a newbie: spend two months heavy in industry/trading/scamming to get 3-4 bil. Buy a 8-9 mil SP industry character for 3-4 bil, train for two months, sell it for 6-7 bil. Turn around and buy a highly specialized 15 mil SP character for 5 bil (anyone can get a 15 mil SP purely dedicated tengu pilot for 5bil, since they are a dime a dozen). Now you are flying a tengu only less than five months into the game. Now go earn ISK and fleet up in null.

Absolutely no reason to actually spend real money, and absolutely no reason for a newbro to wait years to fly more than a t1.
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#14 - 2014-10-22 19:45:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Petrus Blackshell
Petre en Thielles wrote:

[...] and absolutely no reason for a newbro to wait years to fly more than a t1.

Other than now being stuck with a character they haven't trained and thus don't know what it can do, why certain skills are there, and what its time value is compared to others.

Other than being stuck farming endlessly to afford Tengu after Tengu, because Tengus will blow up when flown by an inexperienced pilot.

Other than subscribing to the false notion that there is something wrong with flying anything except the top-notch bittervet metagame, and shunning the huge variety in ships, mechanics, tactics, and stuff to do that the game does.

Other than spending months of effort to do literally nothing special -- fly a Tengu with the blob.

... Yeah, absolutely no reason other than those.

Ed: In case it was unclear from the above, my answer to the OP is no. Do not buy a character just to align to misplaced skill point expectations. Find a better corp that values your contribution as a new player (which is significant) and isn't stuck up on their high-SP uniformity. Your current corp/alliance will have to learn what it takes to keep newbies around. Here's a hint from a former CEO: it's not demanding them to either spend hundreds of dollars or months of effort to become mindless drones.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#15 - 2014-10-22 19:48:35 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Petre en Thielles wrote:
Why do we assume you have to pay real money to get the few bil ISK to purchase a character? Your numbers are completely wrong too. I can buy a character worth 5bil for 3bil on the character bazaar. There are deals to be made the same as any othe rmarket. Any new player can get 3 bil together in a month or two.

Guide for a newbie: spend two months heavy in industry/trading/scamming to get 3-4 bil. Buy a 8-9 mil SP industry character for 3-4 bil, train for two months, sell it for 6-7 bil. Turn around and buy a highly specialized 15 mil SP character for 5 bil (anyone can get a 15 mil SP purely dedicated tengu pilot for 5bil, since they are a dime a dozen). Now you are flying a tengu only less than five months into the game. Now go earn ISK and fleet up in null.

Absolutely no reason to actually spend real money, and absolutely no reason for a newbro to wait years to fly more than a t1.

A. Yeah, because a dedicated Tengu pilot can fly doctrines...oh wait...you fail here horribly. Please for the love of God, before you post, think. You have NO clue what you are talking about NOR about PvP obviously by your comments. You do know that loads of T1 and T2 stuff (easily trained in just 2 months if you specialize a bit and don't do crap like training 2 months in the stuff you mention - in 2 months you can be a very decent cruiser pilot) that will kick any Tengu pilot ass that followed your route...why....because that Tengu pilot has NO idea how to use his stuff...

B. Yeah, let's have a new player do boring grinding for 2 - 3 months when they start...sure will help to keep them in game.

C. That money you spent on a character, could just aswel be spent on actual game time and have fun.

So even if you grind 3 bil...it gets you 1 character or it gets you about 4 months of game time...

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#16 - 2014-10-22 19:54:33 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
So even if you grind 3 bil...it gets you 1 character or it gets you about 4 months of game time...

Or 1000 T1 frigates that will get more fights and fun right off the bat. No character or long training required.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Petre en Thielles
Doomheim
#17 - 2014-10-22 20:04:16 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Other than now being stuck with a character they haven't trained and thus don't know what it can do, why certain skills are there, and what its time value is compared to others.

Other than being stuck farming endlessly to afford Tengu after Tengu, because Tengus will blow up when flown by an inexperienced pilot.

Other than subscribing to the false notion that there is something wrong with flying anything except the top-notch bittervet metagame, and shunning the huge variety in ships, mechanics, tactics, and stuff to do that the game does.

Other than spending months of effort to do literally nothing special -- fly a Tengu with the blob.

... Yeah, absolutely no reason other than those.

Ed: In case it was unclear from the above, my answer to the OP is no. Do not buy a character just to align to misplaced skill point expectations. Find a better corp that values your contribution as a new player (which is significant) and isn't stuck up on their high-SP uniformity. Your current corp/alliance will have to learn what it takes to keep newbies around. Here's a hint from a former CEO: it's not demanding them to either spend hundreds of dollars or months of effort to become mindless drones.

Other than a tengu pilot can earn significantly more ISK than a t1 frigate. And can still be careful. You don't blindly go to a 10/10 ded site with what I said.

J'Poll wrote:

A. Yeah, because a dedicated Tengu pilot can fly doctrines...oh wait...you fail here horribly. Please for the love of God, STFU, biomass and unsub. You have NO clue what you are talking about NOR about PvP obviously by your comments. You do know that loads of T1 and T2 stuff (easily trained in just 2 months if you specialize a bit and don't do crap like training 2 months in the stuff you mention - in 2 months you can be a very decent cruiser pilot) that will kick any Tengu pilot ass that followed your route...why....because that Tengu pilot has NO idea how to use his stuff...

B. Yeah, let's have a new player do boring grinding for 2 - 3 months when they start...sure will help to keep them in game.

C. That money you spent on a character, could just aswel be spent on actual game time and have fun.

A. I can speak slower, since my point went completely over your head. Tengu was an example. Insert *alliance doctrine BS/HAC/T3 here* and have that as your goal with character trading. You obviously have no clue how character trading works, so why are you talking about a subject on which you are clearly clueless? Telling new players to "stick to tackling in t1 frigates" is the dumbest advice you can give them. That does nothing but handcuff a new player to not learning any real PvP for even longer. Get them a decent revenue stream (ratting/industry in null as an example), and have them lose more expensive ships. They will learn more, faster, than they ever would tackling in a blob. Hell, I buy the ships for my new players to help them out.

B. Most new players do nothing but grind high sec missions/mine in high sec anyway. Why not give them a plan to earn decent ISK?

C. Why would I spend ISK on game time when I could spend that on new toys in game, on helping players out, and on improving/upgrading my alliance's space? If you are so poor IRL that you can't afford to sub for this game, you need to log off and work on finding a better paying job.

Spending 800 mil on a plex is the dumbest thing you can do to get game time. I can earn $30 working for an hour IRL, and that gives me 2.5 months of gametime by paying a subscription. Find me an in game activity that makes 2 bil/hr and we can talk.
L'ouris
Have Naught Subsidiaries
#18 - 2014-10-22 20:18:12 UTC  |  Edited by: L'ouris
Maybe off topic ( I'll let ISD decide )Big smile

Is the problem of " not enough other new players flying t1 to be competitive in PvP in t1" a direct result of telling every new player they need to be in tengus or HACs to PvP?
voetius
Grundrisse
#19 - 2014-10-22 21:10:16 UTC

Unless you have loads of isk and can afford to buy a character I would say no. Even if you did have loads of isk I would suggest that it isn't necessary. Some things you could do :

* tackle, as mentioned above

* Interdictors. Don't take that long to train, Destroyers V (unless that changed) plus some other skills. Not a long train.

* Logi. When I was in Nulli, unless it was a strat op that was expected to be massively oversubscribed there were always T1 logi in the fleets. I thought that was kinda cool. So if you don't mind taking what appears to be a less combative role, but is really essential to the fleet, logi is very much worth doing. Even going for T2 logi, you need the racial Cruiser V and the logi skill and you probably have some of the racial cruiser(s) trained anyway. Ask in your corp or just look at fleet compositions to see if T1 logi cruisers are being used.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#20 - 2014-10-22 21:51:07 UTC
May have been mentioned already but I didn't read the thread.

Two things you need to consider when deciding to buy a character or not. Time vs money.

If you have lots of time to spend playing and not much rl income then don't buy a character. But if you have limited playtime and plenty of disposable income then go ahead and jump the queue with a nice character purchase.

Keep in mind that unlike most MMOs, buying a character does nothing for you except skipping the grind. You'll have a character with the ability to do more stuff, but not the skills to do it. You'll still need to put in the time to learn how to use the abilities of your new character. If, as you stated, you are actually getting a handle on things faster than you are acquiring skills then it shouldn't be much of a problem for you.

If you decide to buy one, now is a good time. The changes CCP has been making to the game recently have had the effect of seeing a lot of people dumping characters. I haven't seen them this cheap in a long time. You can buy a decent character for half of what it would cost to sub or PLEX to get that level of SP.

Mr Epeen Cool
12Next page