These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Tactical Overlay custom transparency option

Author
Sir Livingston
Doomheim
#1 - 2014-10-21 03:52:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Sir Livingston
I have a dilemma.

I very much like the art style of eve online, but I also cannot stand flying without the Tactical Overlay on due to my lack of ship spatial awareness when zoomed out.

So here is the problem...

The brightness of the Tactical Overlay greatly diminishes the beauty of the surrounding space because it washes out the color of nebula, planets, ships, stations, asteroids...pretty much everything. So either I have to turn off the Tactical Overlay to enjoy visuals of New Eden, but suffer from the lack of spatial awareness or keep the Tactical Overlay turned on and view the beauty of New Eden through a slightly transparent bubble.

Please consider adding an option somewhere in the 'Esc' menu that modifies the transparency of the Tactical Overlay.

I'm not the only one suffering from this dilemma and I know many people who play eve with the Tactical Overlay on (probably due to the same 'ship spatial awareness when zoomed out' problem), but haven't realized the washed out visual experience they're enduring.

Sci-fi games as played by an earthbound human in the 21st century http://www.youtube.com/JonnyPew

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#2 - 2014-10-21 04:32:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Bienator II
would be a nice improvement for sure. (but i think it will need some more work since it aged a lot)

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Tedd Haggard
Banana Co.
#3 - 2014-10-21 05:07:07 UTC
Agreed.

Also, another gripe I have about the overlay is that it does not show your own ship. When I zoom out lots, I need to know what direction I'm going and how fast. I'd like a big 3d arrow right in the middle - bonus points if it could change colour relative to my ships speed.

Extending that further, it would be cool to see 3d arrows for other ships within the tactical overlay.
big miker
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2014-10-21 08:36:06 UTC
Agreed! I'm a heavy user of the tactical overlay aswell.
It does take alot of beauty away in it's currunt state.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#5 - 2014-10-21 08:37:29 UTC
Tedd Haggard wrote:
Agreed.

Also, another gripe I have about the overlay is that it does not show your own ship. When I zoom out lots, I need to know what direction I'm going and how fast. I'd like a big 3d arrow right in the middle - bonus points if it could change colour relative to my ships speed.

Extending that further, it would be cool to see 3d arrows for other ships within the tactical overlay.

well it shows where you are (the middle) you can always see your speed and the direction is only a problem if you aren't moving

as for the OP would be nice
Tedd Haggard
Banana Co.
#6 - 2014-10-21 08:56:28 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

direction is only a problem if you aren't moving

Do you PvP much? Knowing your direction and speed relative to others is important when you're trying to slingshot or reduce angular velocity. Being able to see 3d arrows (or cones) of your ship and others nearby would really help in visually showing the movement of your ship relative to others.
King Fu Hostile
Yamagata Syndicate
Shadow Cartel
#7 - 2014-10-21 11:17:24 UTC
+1001

I want this really bad, Tac Overview is almost mandatory to have on, but it messes up the awesome beauty of New Eden.
Meizu Kho
Kho Incorporated
The Lone Space Wolves
#8 - 2014-10-21 16:43:27 UTC
I fully agree, i don't play with the overlay because of how much it overwhelms everything.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
Transgress
#9 - 2014-10-21 16:51:52 UTC
Sir Livingston
Doomheim
#10 - 2014-10-22 19:52:58 UTC
I hope a developer sees this and gives it serious thought in implementing. It would greatly improve the visual experience of every capsuleer who uses the Tactical Overlay.

Sci-fi games as played by an earthbound human in the 21st century http://www.youtube.com/JonnyPew

Wolf Incaelum
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2014-10-22 20:04:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Wolf Incaelum
+1. Would be nice to be able to dim the tactical overlay, so long as the distance marker rings can be left as they are. The space between the lines should be able to be dimmed, though.

Also, as an extension to the proposal, something i have been thinking of for a while is that it would be nice to have an option to have a grid overlay, rather than a circular overlay. Or perhaps a stationary grid that can be turned on. It would bring a new meaning to "on grid". Idk if that would be a good idea or not. I figured it would be a waste of time to put it up on the forums, but since someone else opened a similar topic, I decided to throw it out there! Smile

ANARCHYFOREVAAARRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
SLYCE Pirates
#12 - 2014-10-22 20:07:43 UTC
Great idea.

The bright white around our ship right after undocking because of the tactical overlay and the station being right above the ship needs to go.

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

Kyle Meshuggah
A N T H E M
#13 - 2014-10-23 04:32:26 UTC
I concur. Just a slider for opacity in the Esc menu would suffice.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon." - Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson