These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

S.O.E. as pirate faction? <-- The HORROR

First post
Author
Airdorn
Tempest Vector
#1 - 2014-10-22 03:44:33 UTC
It hurts me to my heart that CCP categorizes SOE as a 'pirate faction'. This altruistic bunch deserve so much more.

That is all.
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#2 - 2014-10-22 03:51:18 UTC
Nuns with guns.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Sal Landry
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#3 - 2014-10-22 03:54:12 UTC
Airdorn wrote:
It hurts me to my heart that CCP categorizes SOE as a 'pirate faction'. This altruistic bunch deserve so much more.

That is all.

Why do you think they're altruistic?

Every day they hire capsuleers to murder millions of innocent NPCs on their behalf.

The Sisters of Eve are a terrorist organization.
Airdorn
Tempest Vector
#4 - 2014-10-22 04:19:41 UTC
None of those murdered NPCs look like me, and I'm cool with that.
Kharamete
Royal Assent
#5 - 2014-10-22 04:21:09 UTC
The Bene Gesserit of the Dune-books was an altruistic organisation too. That didn't stop them from initiating a selective breeding program, without regard for individuals or tribes or whole planets, in order to create their own deity, the Kwizats Haderach. The Sisters of our little universe aren't less ambitious, or more generous with compassion, when it comes to furthering their own ends.

I like to think of them as Mother Theresas with guns. And everyone knows that Mother Theresa was far from benign.

CCP FoxFour: "... the what button... oh god I didn't even know that existed. BRB."

My little youtube videos can be found here

Airdorn
Tempest Vector
#6 - 2014-10-22 04:32:36 UTC
Kharamete wrote:
The Bene Gesserit of the Dune-books was an altruistic organisation too. That didn't stop them from initiating a selective breeding program, without regard for individuals or tribes or whole planets, in order to create their own deity, the Kwizats Haderach. The Sisters of our little universe aren't less ambitious, or more generous with compassion, when it comes to furthering their own ends.

I like to think of them as Mother Theresas with guns. And everyone knows that Mother Theresa was far from benign.

Well, Dune is science fiction, right out of Herbert's drug-induced twisted mind.

Eve is real.
Trey Kutoi
SergalJerk
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#7 - 2014-10-22 04:41:29 UTC
Airdorn wrote:
Kharamete wrote:

Well, Dune is science fiction, right out of Herbert's drug-induced twisted mind.

Eve is real.

"It was so real, it was like.... like I was there"

To be honest, one man's pirate is another man's privateer. While the Servant Sisters of Eve have an altruistic side, I don't think the entirety of it can be judged either way. There's a mission to kill bounty hunters from Mordu's legion, that was apparently contracted from within the SoE to your mission agent, and another to destroy a humanitarian convoy, so its not all rosey.

It's easier to list its vessels in ISIS as a pirate vessel/faction because the groundwork already exists, as ORE is the only other faction that produces vessels, and none of theirs are explicitly combat vessels, whereas the SoE ones have a strong emphasis on combat or 'pre-emptive self defense'
MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#8 - 2014-10-22 05:00:00 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:

Fyp

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2014-10-22 06:07:30 UTC
Not only that they do not have beards, eye patches, parrots, hooks, peg legs or punctuate every sentence with "Ahrrrrr".

They are "Pirates" because their ships use design features from more than one faction and that breaks EVE fair copyright use agreements and hence they are "Pirates".

That does not mean they are evil. In Australia for example 10's of 1000's of people subscribe to and buy content from overseas companies like netflix in the US. Because purchasing movies and music overseas is bypassing an Australian government established monopoly that allows a couple of media millionaires to make a killing on media content in Australia they are deemed "pirates" but that does not make them evil or malicious.
Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#10 - 2014-10-22 06:13:08 UTC
Didn't you read The Burning Life?
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#11 - 2014-10-22 08:01:44 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
Nuns with guns.

They are indeed pirates. They got some really bad habits.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#12 - 2014-10-22 11:14:13 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
Nuns with guns.

They are indeed pirates. They got some really bad habits.

I see what you did there...

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Wendrika Hydreiga
#13 - 2014-10-22 14:15:34 UTC
Any faction that holds sovereignty outside of Empire Space is considered a Pirate faction by tecnicality, since they can opperate outside of empire influence. The Sisters hold a small constellation of systems in Pure Blind, and therefor, are pirates.

Plus, SOE is not exactly on friendly terms with the Amarr and the Caldari, so it wouldn't be a stretch if they considered them to be pirates. I often get asked to shoot Amarr Navy ships non-chalantely by SOE, so it is justifiable.
Arronicus
State War Academy
Caldari State
#14 - 2014-10-22 14:21:00 UTC
Wendrika Hydreiga wrote:
Any faction that holds sovereignty outside of Empire Space is considered a Pirate faction by tecnicality, since they can opperate outside of empire influence. The Sisters hold a small constellation of systems in Pure Blind, and therefor, are pirates.

Plus, SOE is not exactly on friendly terms with the Amarr and the Caldari, so it wouldn't be a stretch if they considered them to be pirates. I often get asked to shoot Amarr Navy ships non-chalantely by SOE, so it is justifiable.

The whole 'pirate faction' category is a little inconsistent. I believe in the case you are referring to, ship classifications, it is for any non tech 2, non tech 1, non faction navy ship. But then look at ORE, ORE holds nullsec sov, and isn't a pirate faction, so Wendrika's definition falls through. Consulting with the Eve wiki, SoE is not listed as a pirate faction, but then neither is Mordu's legion, so there you go.
Wendrika Hydreiga
#15 - 2014-10-22 14:42:32 UTC
ORE is another beast in itself. They are well organized enough to be considered an empire faction of their own like the Jove. Not to mention their neutrality, since we all know just how well their ships perform in combat situations. If not for their Gallente background they would be considered absolute neutral like CONCORD and InterBus.

Plus, citing EVE Wiki as a source. EVE Wiki is vastly imcomplete in terms of the information it provides. Their information regarding SOE is bare-bones at best.

If your idea of a pirate is a rum-drinking rapscallion smugler, as opposed to a free agent outside of empire influence, then yes, SOE is not a pirate faction.
ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#16 - 2014-10-22 14:42:41 UTC
Well, actually... SoE can be pretty sketchy.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Jean Luc Lemmont
Carebears on Fire
#17 - 2014-10-22 15:00:53 UTC
Trey Kutoi wrote:
'pre-emptive self defense'

I really like this way of putting it.

Will I get banned for boxing!?!?!

This thread has degenerated to the point it's become like two bald men fighting over a comb. -- Doc Fury

It's bonuses, not boni, you cretins.

WhyYouHeffToBeMad IsOnlyGame
#18 - 2014-10-22 15:02:54 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
Nuns with guns.

ONOES

Everything's a game if you make it one - Uriel Paradisi Anteovnuecci

CCP: Continously Crying Playerbase - Frostys Virpio

Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#19 - 2014-10-22 15:05:01 UTC
Wendrika Hydreiga wrote:

As with many things in the eve backstory it does not make sense. For instance why are they in Pure Blind close to Caldari space when they are so interested in the Eve Gate, or whatever it is, which is over in Amarr lowsec, or wherever. Shows you how much I, and I suspect many others, follow this stuff since it seems so incoherent. Yeah, I know I'm in FW.Big smile

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

Jace Sarice
#20 - 2014-10-22 15:06:07 UTC
That's because they are a pirate faction.

This is EVE. Nobody is altruistic.
123Next page