These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

I have paid enough

First post
Author
Eight Bit
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2014-10-20 20:43:45 UTC
Dear CCP,

Recently you've lured me back to the game with a cheesy cheap sales pitch offering me 10 days of free game time. I hadn't played for a while but I still love the game so here I am, with the ability to post on the forum and with 8 days play time to go.

I've played Eve for years, since may 2004 and I have always paid my monthly fee by credit card, a large portion of the time with 2 accounts and at one time even 3. Back in the days I had plenty of time to play and one could find me online almost always. The money was well worth it for me, right up to the point when I got children, a decent job and a lot less time.

Of course my Eve habit didn't stop at once, gradually I had less and less time and eventually I was logging on only once or twice per month but as I was always lagging behind the rest of the corp with my low log-on rate, I usually ended up chatting and spinning my ship for an hour before logging off again. In the end this made me decide that paying 18 euro subscription money per month was not justifiable anymore, as any sane person would.

In the time after that I bought 2 or 3 plex and tried that for a while but as I was still lagging behind my corp and not making enough isk at all to buy a new plex each month, that stopped soon too.

So there came the end of my eve career, the game that I had played for over 10 years and loved the most. The game I met so many great people in, made friends in who I went to fanfest with etc.
I actually felt kind of sad because I had to leave.
Eve can only be played by people with loads of time or loads of money (isk or €/$) they don't care about.

Then when I was thinking about all this, I came to the conclusion that over the years I had paid CCP well over 1500 euro, more than I ever paid for any game and it felt like that after paying so much money it should entitle me to play for free. Knowing that CCP would never give me a free pass as there's probably plenty people who paid the same or even more money and CCP wouldn't want to blow up the dam, I came up with the following idea.

Let people log on for free, chat, blow up stuff, spend isk etc. but skills train at a very low rate, say 1/10th of normal speed.
This gives people the opportunity to make isk for a plex over a longer period of time. With that plex activated their training speed will be normal.
This would increase the server population a lot I think and CCP would have plex income they would otherwise not have.

I for one, and I know for a fact that many other ex-eve players would too, would log on and start to play again if that money border would not be there.

My plead for a solution like this is probably in vain but please discuss this anyway.

imho CCP needs to re-think their income strategy

Kind regards,

Adira Nictor
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2014-10-20 20:51:24 UTC
So you want CCP to let you play for free.

How are they supposed to keep making money if everyone plays free?

I don't care if I train at 1/500 the speed if its free then I pony up $300 worth of plex buy a 20 to 30 mil sp "main" and never pay ccp again.

I honestly hope this is a joke.
Eight Bit
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2014-10-20 21:04:03 UTC
Adira Nictor wrote:

I don't care if I train at 1/500 the speed if its free then I pony up $300 worth of plex buy a 20 to 30 mil sp "main" and never pay ccp again.

No joke, but in your example you will have paid CCP $300, or almost 2 years of subscription equiv.
You think you will last 2 years with your 20 mil sp char?

In those 2 years you will have made enough isk to buy yourself more plex for which someone else paid $

Jack Carrigan
Order of the Shadow
#4 - 2014-10-20 21:22:00 UTC
Not only no but **** no.

I am the One who exists in Shadow. I am the Devil your parents warned you about.

||CEO: Order of the Shadow||Executor: The Revenant Order||Creator: Bowhead||

Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#5 - 2014-10-20 21:29:44 UTC
Eight Bit wrote:
it felt like that after paying so much money it should entitle me to play for free
thats not how subscription agreements work. You want a service, you pay for it.
Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#6 - 2014-10-20 21:36:46 UTC
One regular game (new) : 60 bucks == 4 months subscription

Now check how long you play on a regular game and check how many games you're playing per year and add that up to the time you have played EVE. Now ask Gamestop to give you any future games for free and report your results.
Vas Vadum
Draconian Empire
#7 - 2014-10-20 22:00:45 UTC
If you're leaving, can I have all your ISK and stuff? I'll put it to good use, I promise!
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#8 - 2014-10-20 22:03:23 UTC
Abrazzar wrote:
One regular game (new) : 60 bucks == 4 months subscription

Now check how long you play on a regular game and check how many games you're playing per year and add that up to the time you have played EVE. Now ask Gamestop to give you any future games for free and report your results.

This. They could go back to wow, or to wow if maybe they never played even. New expansion out soon if I hear my work friend right. If missing an intermediate expansion.....well he could pay for them too to be up to patch level. And next year he could pay for that expansion....and the next one, and so on.

Don't see the points to these threads really. I don't play enough to plex regularly. So I cc/paypal it via ETC (ccp has billing based on my ip and nexus in japan is crap imo). Like the game enough and have the resources to do this. I have spent more than 15 on alcohol that after the next morning's **** I literally have nothing to show for it besides a hangover worst case lol. Worse diversions to spend 15 on the take away.

Rayzilla Zaraki
Yin Jian Enterprises
#9 - 2014-10-20 22:05:28 UTC
No...not April 1st.

BSGO is thataway --->

Gate campers are just Carebears with anger issues.

Adira Nictor
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2014-10-20 22:12:07 UTC
Eight Bit wrote:
Adira Nictor wrote:

No joke, but in your example you will have paid CCP $300, or almost 2 years of subscription equiv.
You think you will last 2 years with your 20 mil sp char?

In those 2 years you will have made enough isk to buy yourself more plex for which someone else paid $

Except by your system I'm earning 1/10 the sp, so I have 30 mil sp instead of 20 mil by then.

20 to 30 mil sp is plenty of sp to do quite a few things in eve, and once I get a small army of 30 mil sp alts, I wont need more sp, because through the use of alts ill be able to do anything in game. free, every month.
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2014-10-20 22:19:05 UTC
A pretty bad idea, tbh.

If anything, CCP could consider lowering sub costs for everyone, if they thought the current price isn't the best 'sweetspot' balancing # of subs vs. unit revenue.

F2P inevitably and automatically entails some form of P2W for the paying dudes, and nobody wants that in a sandbox game.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Gwailar
Doomheim
#12 - 2014-10-20 22:20:12 UTC
Eight Bit wrote:
I have paid enough

Then don't pay any more.

"Mmmmm. PoonWaffles."   --Mittens the Cat

Gadget Helmsdottir
Gadget's Workshop
#13 - 2014-10-20 22:20:43 UTC
I'm not too keen on playing the playing for free thing; however, access to the forums under my avatar would be a nice thing.

Why do I need an active account to log in to the forums?

--Gadget

Work smarter, not harder. --Scrooge McDuck, an eminent old-Earth economist

Given an hour to save New Eden, how would respected scientist, Albertus Eisenstein compose his thoughts? "Fifty-five minutes to define the problem; save the galaxy in five."

shimiku
Zircron Industries
#14 - 2014-10-20 22:54:01 UTC
well the thing you want is free cyno alt and giant fleet of free multiboxer because you only have to pay for the acc till they can fly a mining ship after that you only have to pay for ship loses you dont need to farm for plex or any thing your plan is a but broken
ISD Cyberdyne
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#15 - 2014-10-20 23:19:05 UTC
Thread closed (/rant). If you'd like to speak with CCP directly, I'd recommend you file a petition. Please adhere to the forum rules. Thanks.

Quote:
3. Ranting is prohibited.

A rant is a post that is often filled with angry and counterproductive comments. A free exchange of ideas is essential to building a strong sense of community and is helpful in development of the game and community. Rants are disruptive, and incite flaming and trolling. Please post your thoughts in a concise and clear manner while avoiding going off on rambling tangents.

ISD Cyberdyne

Lieutenant Commander

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department