These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Dwarf star systems...

Author
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#21 - 2014-10-12 15:59:10 UTC
Saberlily Whyteshadow wrote:
Jack Carrigan wrote:
Amber Lana wrote:

Think about it, wouldn't it be cool to "Fly-by instrument" only??

We already fly by instruments.

This.

Of course we do.. but have you ever flown with using just shadows as your point of reference?? Would you have known if there was really anything there if you didn't have your overview set to show everything??

Uhh...who doesn't have a 'show everything' overview tab as standard even without something like this?
Tappits
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion
#22 - 2014-10-12 16:03:26 UTC
How about some solar systems with a dead star?

Think about it, wouldn't it be cool to "Fly-by instrument" only?? Solar systems with no light except a little glow from the far away nebulas??

This could open the door to "Night Fighting" in the world of EVE..

Just fly around with the solar system map open. fixed....
Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2014-10-12 17:00:38 UTC
Oh look, another person who doesn't read EVE lore.

We don't see systems with "dead stars", black holes or Neutron stars because the stargate network have been carefully directed around these.
Saberlily Whyteshadow
Perkone
Caldari State
#24 - 2014-10-12 19:05:18 UTC
Just because its not currently in EVE lore doesn't mean that there couldn't be a missing chapter that tells of these once connected systems. But since the system died it was just removed from the EVE map data.

I see new content that doesn't try to break the core of EVE a good thing.

Well at least my view on this idea isn't trying to break EVE.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#25 - 2014-10-12 19:34:41 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
While we know that in real life there are many different stars and star behaviors, for the simple sake of EVE why cant we have some of the systems where we just turn off the light?

Then it isn't a star system at all. It's empty space. When a star "dies," it EJECTS or VAPORIZES everything in a violent eruption. And even after that, there is still a stellar core giving off heat and light (however small) for the next 1+ quadrillion years (yes, this is an actual estimate).

Re-read the articles I linked.

Or systems that have imploded but remain mostly intact with no more light source to go exploring in.

If a star "implodes" then everything in the surrounding area pretty much ceases to exist (because it is now a black hole).

Yes, it is THAT "black and white" of a situation.

A "dead star" either results in a stellar core that takes longer than the universe is hypothetically slated to exist to finally "burn out"... or it becomes an anomaly of epic proportions where time and space bend you over and and twist your ability to perceive the world better than that grade-school bully giving your swirlies in the bathroom

Interesting fact: if you stand in front of the event horizon of a black hole and turn your head to the side, you will SEE the back of your head as if it is right there in front of you (because space is warped due to the immense gravity)... of course... this is assuming that you can move at all because time has come to a near standstill and you are literally stuck at the moment of your death long after your body has been destroyed (because time is "relative" and the heavier something is or faster you move, the slower time will tick).

I'm not trying to mesh real life and EVE here, just trying to get more diversity in playing this game.

Which is understandable and an admirable thing. But there is a difference between "plausible," "completely implausible," and "game mechanics need to be this way."

A star system with no light whatsoever falls squarely into the middle category.

I personally would not mind seeing "white dwarf" systems... though... there would be no planets or moons in such a system. Just gas and maybe some dust/rocks.
Kaerakh
Obscure Joke Implied
#26 - 2014-10-12 19:41:52 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
-snip-

I'd like to point out that all of this was covered on the first page. The fact that he needed to repost the first page is cringe worthy.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#27 - 2014-10-13 00:52:21 UTC
Don't stangle me if it's not exaclty on topic but close enough:

The Universe documentary

After watching this there is also a link to 'The Universe - Death Stars' which is worth watching. Both very interesiting documentaries.

Sure there are others but I like the narrator's voice.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#28 - 2014-10-13 01:56:46 UTC
Kaerakh wrote:

In which case it's not a system if there isn't a star. It's just space.

Also, someone mentioned the binary star system thing being required for gates. I don't think anyone on the development staff has ever taken that bit seriously.

Actually they have. Just the second star is beyond the outer planets by a massive amount, so not put into the game as a physical object. Same as in WH's the secondary star which provides the actual WH effects is just a place holder image. You can't actually warp to the Neutron star or anything.
They are still all double star systems including all the WH systems.
Tikitina
Doomheim
#29 - 2014-10-13 02:41:57 UTC
The idea of adding brown dwarf systems and actual binary solar systems that you can warp between the stars would be cool.

I realize this wasn't done initially to programing issues, but shouldn't be too hard to change.

To be honest, since all Eve solar systems are supposed to be binary, which allows gate travel, it would be cool if all systems became binary, and brown dwarfs could be part of that, and more.

They could expand the even universe by expanding all the solar systems themselves.

Tikitina
Doomheim
#30 - 2014-10-13 04:03:48 UTC
They could also expand upon the Wormhole Space idea as Wormholes systems being single star systems,
or system's where the binaries are so far apart it wouldn't allow gates to be placed.

Saberlily Whyteshadow
Perkone
Caldari State
#31 - 2014-10-13 04:06:06 UTC
Well fist off I would like to change the thread title to Dwarf star systems, since using Dead Star is the wrong term and causing confusion. But I'm no forum expert so im not sure how to go about this..

I'm still pitching this idea because no matter what system you jump into in EVE be it W-space, Null, Low, or High; all the systems will be "Day" setting. Currently we cant get a "Night" setting because you can always see the sun, even if you're in the shadow next to a planet. Only way to get "night" in space is to turn off the sun. Problem to this is it might be easier said than done.

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#32 - 2014-10-13 04:13:22 UTC
Well fist off I would like to change the thread title to Dwarf star systems, since using Dead Star is the wrong term and causing confusion. But I'm no forum expert so im not sure how to go about this.

Just edit your first post and change the title. Blink
Kaerakh
Obscure Joke Implied
#33 - 2014-10-13 05:01:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaerakh
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Kaerakh wrote:

In which case it's not a system if there isn't a star. It's just space.

Also, someone mentioned the binary star system thing being required for gates. I don't think anyone on the development staff has ever taken that bit seriously.

Actually they have. Just the second star is beyond the outer planets by a massive amount, so not put into the game as a physical object. Same as in WH's the secondary star which provides the actual WH effects is just a place holder image. You can't actually warp to the Neutron star or anything.
They are still all double star systems including all the WH systems.

I sincerely doubt that that had anything to do with the obscure binary system star gate lore bit as that's some pretty thin ice. Considering a large portion of those are without an effect and there's still 5,500 or so other systems to consider that don't have an additional star. I think it's pretty clear that it's just a happy coincidence that all the dual star effects are present for your point. Blink

On an additional note I'm well aware that the effects are represented by glorified skybox art. Roll And since you seem to be in a combative mood I'll ask you what lore says I can't warp my ship straight into a neutron star if I found one?(putting aside that it's incredibly daft).
Tedd Haggard
Banana Co.
#34 - 2014-10-13 06:09:45 UTC

Think about it, wouldn't it be cool to "Fly-by instrument" only?? Solar systems with no light except a little glow from the far away nebulas??

Regardless of the science or lore, this would not make for interesting gameplay.
FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#35 - 2014-10-13 14:01:46 UTC
Hell i started playing eve because i want to LOOK AT AWESOME SPACESHIPS (and cause them to explode) this seems like a collosal step backwards

(And a completely ******** idea)
Yogsoloth
Fliet Pizza Delivery
Of Essence
#36 - 2014-10-13 15:50:59 UTC
Oooh... what about black holes that pull in afkers slowly over time. Maybe the need to be going a certain speed so they dont get pulled in or whatever. Maybe be certain distances away to be unaffected. Have them suck in all the crappy abandoned lag causing unused deployables out there too :P
Phaade
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#37 - 2014-10-13 15:59:22 UTC
Kaerakh wrote:
Kaerakh wrote:
Kaerakh wrote:

Could not gather any info from the link provided.. other than is a wormhole..

Look harder then.

Black Holes, It still has a sun that gives off light.. totally different from that I'm proposing. I'm talking about systems with a dead sun, where it gives off zero light..

You know that makes zero sense, right? Stars give off light. That's why they're called stars. And a 'dead star' is usually referred to as a black hole(for obvious reasons). Also, a black hole is not a 'sun' as it has wholly different characteristics. If you're referring to what happens to a star if it does not collapse into a black hole then usually you're talking about dust clouds.

So getting back to my point. We already have dead stars.

Most stars that die do not turn into black holes. And they certainly don't turn into just dust clouds either. Pretty basic astronomy.

+1 to the OP for being in a system with a neutron star / white or black dwarf.
Kaerakh
Obscure Joke Implied
#38 - 2014-10-13 17:42:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaerakh
Phaade wrote:
Kaerakh wrote:

Black Holes, It still has a sun that gives off light.. totally different from that I'm proposing. I'm talking about systems with a dead sun, where it gives off zero light..

You know that makes zero sense, right? Stars give off light. That's why they're called stars. And a 'dead star' is usually referred to as a black hole(for obvious reasons). Also, a black hole is not a 'sun' as it has wholly different characteristics. If you're referring to what happens to a star if it does not collapse into a black hole then usually you're talking about dust clouds.

So getting back to my point. We already have dead stars.

Most stars that die do not turn into black holes. And they certainly don't turn into just dust clouds either. Pretty basic astronomy.

+1 to the OP for being in a system with a neutron star / white or black dwarf.

... Just... I don't even know where to start.

Ok, so nice job skipping the two pages of discussion explaining and linking to scientific organizations explaining all of this.

You're right most stars don't turn into black holes. Did I even say that? Upon cursory examination of the quoted material we arrive at the conclusion, no I did not! Do stars turn into dust clouds? Well it is a gross over simplification of the process, but what do you even know:

NASA wrote:
From the Remains, New Stars Arise
The dust and debris left behind by novae and supernovae eventually blend with the surrounding interstellar gas and dust, enriching it with the heavy elements and chemical compounds produced during stellar death. Eventually, those materials are recycled, providing the building blocks for a new generation of stars and accompanying planetary systems.

Well shucks, that 2 seconds of clicking a link and reading tells us, why yes, stars do become clouds of dust. That's how we have other stars and planets.

Pretty
basic
astronomy.
Wolf Incaelum
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#39 - 2014-10-13 18:45:22 UTC

You could just fly around with your map open. I know it isn't the zero-light effect that you're going for, but it would yield the same results: A complete lack of visual references causing you to have to fly by OV entirely. Besides, flying a spaceship relies very little on visual references anyway.

If you're the captain of a spaceship, you don't have a steering wheel, gas pedal and a brake. You have an officer at a navigation console that monitors vectors, distances, velocities, etc. The navigator calculates coordinates, specified by the captain, and sends an order to engineering, where the engineers do what they need to do to with the propulsion system to make the ship move to the designated coordinates. The closest thing to "driving the ship" that would be done from the bridge would be the helmsman using maneuvering thrusters for things like docking and undocking (which is all done automatically anyway). Granted, we don't actually have ship crews in Eve. Everything is controlled by one person who is encased in a capsule full of goo, but the processes are all the same.

That being said, making a system that is pitch black would be kind of...boring. It would basically be as if you had turned your monitor off, only you would still be able to see your neocom, OV, chat windows, action window, and the light emitted by thrusters. Other than that, it would just be a black screen.

ANARCHYFOREVAAARRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Previous page12