These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

What can you kill with 100 DPS

Author
Race Rocket
Doomheim
#1 - 2014-10-11 15:12:36 UTC
Regarding NPC's only (I understand the PVP is all over the place)

So as I learn the game and venture off looking around in Low, Null and WH to kill the question is
what can I hope to kill with 100 DPS in a frigate?



ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#2 - 2014-10-11 16:51:03 UTC
Vague question gets a vague answer.

You can kill most things... except NPC battlecruisers and bigger. And "special NPCs." And definitely not Sleepers (found in wormholes).
Syrias Bizniz
some random local shitlords
#3 - 2014-10-11 17:34:18 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Vague question gets a vague answer.

You can kill most things... except NPC battlecruisers and bigger. And "special NPCs." And definitely not Sleepers (found in wormholes).




Actually, depending on damagetype, it should work for BC rats, and maybe even the lower BS rats. I remember killing those in a rifter a few years ago.


So basically, 100 dps will bring you through almost everything in low-sec belts, if you have the time and ammo to do so. Stay away from [Faction] Clone Soldier rats.
Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#4 - 2014-10-11 18:15:09 UTC
Should easily chew up some of the smaller CONCORD rats
Race Rocket
Doomheim
#5 - 2014-10-12 05:06:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Race Rocket
Vague sure, but not entirely.

"You answered about what I was looking to know"

I'm flying a skill path that is limiting me to around 100 DPS for the next couple of months. So with that, is the goal of killing something.

ATM I have less than 40 DPS and can only kill .4 and .5 small ships.
I would like to kill BS in Low and Null (maybe something in a WH), even though it will take time once I get to around 100.

That's why I ask, for when I grow up.
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#6 - 2014-10-12 09:28:31 UTC
what are you flying?
what wepons systems do you currently have the use of .
i take it this is an alt yes?
if not, why so specialised so soon?
Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#7 - 2014-10-12 10:57:09 UTC
With a 100dps frig, you can

- rat in belts and kill anything but battleships
- run 2/10 comfortably
- run lvl 3 missions

- fit a hacker/analyzer and run datas/relcis :p
Syrias Bizniz
some random local shitlords
#8 - 2014-10-12 11:30:54 UTC
Race Rocket wrote:
Vague sure, but not entirely.

"You answered about what I was looking to know"

I'm flying a skill path that is limiting me to around 100 DPS for the next couple of months. So with that, is the goal of killing something.

ATM I have less than 40 DPS and can only kill .4 and .5 small ships.
I would like to kill BS in Low and Null (maybe something in a WH), even though it will take time once I get to around 100.

That's why I ask, for when I grow up.



I wonder about your skill-goal if you get stuck with max 100 dps for several months.
But anyways, your best bet then is probably staying in highsec and cycle anomalies.
Tinu Moorhsum
Random Events
#9 - 2014-10-12 12:41:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Tinu Moorhsum
Race Rocket wrote:
Regarding NPC's only (I understand the PVP is all over the place)

So as I learn the game and venture off looking around in Low, Null and WH to kill the question is
what can I hope to kill with 100 DPS in a frigate?



In the big picture you have to account for

- how much dps you can generate
- how much damage your enemy can tank
- how much dps your enemy can generate
- how much dps you can tank
- how much time you have

There are some websites around (I don't have a list off the top of my head because I seldom rat) where the dps and tanking ability of various rats are listed. You can just look it up. With ratting dps is fairly constant so you can easiliy work out how long it will take you to break a rat vs. how long you can hold on and tank his dps.

That's the big picture.

On a practical level you can usually kill frigate and cruiser sized rats in a frigate. You can try larger rats but even if you find one that you can kill with 100dps you'll probably spend so long getting the job done that you'll want to poke out your eyes with a pencil from boredom before it goes down. For killing BS sized rats in nullsec, for example, most people who do this regularly will go for +/- 1000dps (possibly multi-boxing).

None of this applies to a wormhole, however, because wormhole rats are nasty. I would be surprised if you could kill anything in a wormhole using a frigate.

T-
Race Rocket
Doomheim
#10 - 2014-10-12 19:01:26 UTC
Thanks guy, that's really good information and I'm sure will help others who are just starting out like me.
I've read a bit about the game and have friends that have played, so it's sort of familiar.

My skill path limits me to a T1 frigate since I'm training all the core stuff as my primary goal while I work my way to
an Assault Frigate for what I think will be my end game goal for PVP and such.

I plan to use range to help with the NPC DPS.

:o)
Tinu Moorhsum
Random Events
#11 - 2014-10-12 19:47:59 UTC
Race Rocket wrote:
Thanks guy, that's really good information and I'm sure will help others who are just starting out like me.
I've read a bit about the game and have friends that have played, so it's sort of familiar.

My skill path limits me to a T1 frigate since I'm training all the core stuff as my primary goal while I work my way to
an Assault Frigate for what I think will be my end game goal for PVP and such.

I plan to use range to help with the NPC DPS.

:o)


If your end game includes ratting, missions or plexing then you're going to eventually need to train into bigger ships.

What is feasible in the frigate is to make a hobby of running data and relic sites. This can pay surprisingly well depending on where you do it in EVE and it's a short skill-chain.

T-
Balshem Rozenzweig
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2014-10-13 07:05:02 UTC
You will prolly be able to do FW novice plexes, but only them, and even them with a bit of pain.

I cannot imagine going the same way as you do. I sure do hope you know what you're doing. Getting past that 100dps should be super duper trivial regardless of your current remap.

"NUTS!!!" - general McAuliffe

greg01
T.R.I.A.D
Ushra'Khan
#13 - 2014-10-13 13:43:43 UTC
You could possibly catch and kill Crosi if you get within his 50km 10k+ Garmur.........
Christopher Mabata
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#14 - 2014-10-14 14:22:04 UTC
pods
shuttles
unarmed transports with no tank fitted
titans

♣ Small Gang PVP, Large Fleet PVP, Black Ops, Incursions, Trade, and Industry ♣ 70% Lethal / 30% Super-Snuggly / 110% No idea what im doing ♣

This Message Brought to you by a sweet and sour bittervet

Skelee VI
Wraithguard.
The Wraithguard.
#15 - 2014-10-14 19:55:38 UTC
someone with 99 or under dps
Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#16 - 2014-10-17 17:54:31 UTC
100 dps might be enough to kill me. I'm pretty bad in a fight.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Praise James, Supreme Protector of High Sec.

Bastion Arzi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2014-10-24 12:48:00 UTC
me 2
Aladar Dangerface
It is really us
Beyond the Breach
#18 - 2014-10-27 16:10:34 UTC
Seriously, do not restrict yourself to this skill plan. It will litterally take a few days, maybe a week to train into basic detroyer or even cruiser skills.

Eve is about making your own path sure, but i would recommend trying out different things while you are new, exploration, FW or even joining a newbie friendly corp such as brave newbies or red vs blue.

Do get stuck doing the same boring **** for months, you will quit the game before you have learned the skills you are training.

I don't need twitter. I'm already following you.