These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page
 

The state of CAOD, a plea to CCP and ISD

First post
Author
Solecist Project
#21 - 2014-10-09 11:20:34 UTC
Maeltstome wrote:
Flaming, Trolling and, above all, STUPIDITY fuel this game.

When everyone acts sensibly and agree's about everything it gets boring and no one undocks.

you have 2-options: Role play to motivate content (yuck) or insult people so they actually hate you enough to attack you in a video game.

Let me repeat that the actual issue is that too many people do not actually PLAY assholes ....

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

ArmyOfMe
Teddybears.
Dead Terrorists
#22 - 2014-10-09 12:16:36 UTC
Maeltstome wrote:
Flaming, Trolling and, above all, STUPIDITY fuel this game.

When everyone acts sensibly and agree's about everything it gets boring and no one undocks.

you have 2-options: Role play to motivate content (yuck) or insult people so they actually hate you enough to attack you in a video game.

This man has at least gotten the reason for having CAOD

GM Guard > I must ask you not to use the petition option like this again but i personally would finish the chicken sandwich first so it won´t go to waste. The spaghetti will keep and you can use it the next time you get hungry. Best regards.

ArmyOfMe
Teddybears.
Dead Terrorists
#23 - 2014-10-09 12:40:11 UTC
Solecist Project wrote:

Let me repeat that the actual issue is that too many people do not actually PLAY assholes ....

And what happens when two many assholes comes toghter? they get in each others throats, they start wars, they create content.

Eve has now gone without any proper wars for a while, and the only thing happening in this game is 1) someone got banned for the bonus room (not complaining) 2) high sec ganks are at an all time high due to bored 0,0 alliances having nothing to do. 3) you get stuff like "the code" or whatever its called. 4) gallente has won FW (not related, but i just felt like pointing it out Lol )

Caod was "the" place to go for every ******* in this game, and it did help create content, or at least it did until two 0,0 alliances (not gonna mention names, but yes im talking about goons and test) desided to see if they could actually destroy CAOD, and they did it.

GM Guard > I must ask you not to use the petition option like this again but i personally would finish the chicken sandwich first so it won´t go to waste. The spaghetti will keep and you can use it the next time you get hungry. Best regards.

KuroVolt
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#24 - 2014-10-09 13:58:14 UTC
Now that everyone thinks CAOD is **** and nobody wants to use it anymore, I shall claim it in the name of Providence!
Works every time!

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

Solecist Project
#25 - 2014-10-09 15:37:28 UTC
KuroVolt wrote:
Now that everyone thinks CAOD is **** and nobody wants to use it anymore, I shall claim it in the name of Providence!
Works every time!

You forgot to respond in the other thread.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#26 - 2014-10-09 16:02:18 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
ArmyOfMe wrote:
However with the way CAOD is run, mostly in due of overzealous ISD and DEV moderators, that single subforum is now the least used subforum in here.
Right. Against my better judgement, as I should actually close this thread for discussing forum moderation, I will give you some facts.

The CCL division of ISD that is tasked with moderating the forum was founded in April 2012. So it exists for about 2.5 years.
In the 4 to 5 years before that moderation was often scarce and erratic.
The rule change regarding who can post in CAOD and who can not, was made long before CCL ever came to be, somewhere in the beginning of 2009 (rule 21).

And now for the interesting part: In the entire existence of ISD's CCL division, all members of the team combined posted just over 20000 times on the entire forum. Of which 67 times in CAOD or about 0.34%......Shocked
That is including posts such as 'this thread has been moved to CAOD' etcetera which constitute to about one third of them.
Keep in mind, each moderator intervention in a thread leads to one of our team posting in it that he/she has done so. So counting ISD posts is a pretty good indication on how many times CCL had to come into action to moderate a thread.

In essence it boils down to this: CAOD has had 40 to 45 moderator interventions in the past two and a half years combined.
That's can hardly be called over moderation now can it. If anything, it shows a lack of activity there by the posters themselves, actually leaving us very, very little to do there.

I mean come on, apart from four CCL closed threads (2 cross-post duplicates and two blatant troll ones) in the past three months there are only 29 open player created threads there, the rest was automatically closed by the forum software for total lack of activity in the last 90 days......

You want to see the place more active and interesting? Do it yourself, but don't blame us for the current state.
We didn't do it, we weren't there! Well, hardly....Cool

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#27 - 2014-10-09 16:37:38 UTC
Thanks for the numbers! Any responding post is gonna be on thin ice for discussing moderation. Hopefully it's clear I'd like to discuss math in this post, not the act of forum moderation.

So basicly, true moderation began after the 2009 restrictions came to be? So doesn't that mean that any numbers you have can only represent a time period after said restrictions were in place? Aka, you started to take it's pulse when the horse was already dead? Or am I missing something? Well, so far we're still talking about numbers. I'm not even touching on the reasons why that place is dead, because... well you know why. Blink
DNSBLACK
Dirt Nap Squad
#28 - 2014-10-09 16:42:03 UTC
I support this thread 100%. The long distance travel thread is a clear example of ISD letting it roll. It did bring back the fay of COAD gone wild.

It was fun reading the threads and the trolls. I hated having to go to Kugu and fail heap. COAD should be a smack talking war room.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#29 - 2014-10-09 17:00:27 UTC
DNSBLACK wrote:
COAD should be a smack talking war room.
And it would get the same leeway Crime & Punishment has, where we do our best to remove only the most vile personal attacks (among which RL threats) and leave the rest.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#30 - 2014-10-09 17:17:51 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:
So basicly, true moderation began after the 2009 restrictions came to be? So doesn't that mean that any numbers you have can only represent a time period after said restrictions were in place? Aka, you started to take it's pulse when the horse was already dead? Or am I missing something? Well, so far we're still talking about numbers. I'm not even touching on the reasons why that place is dead, because... well you know why. Blink
The forum was moderated prior to CCL, but not by a dedicated volunteer team created for that purpose. Talking about figures, I have none on the old forum, but from the start of the new one in September 2011 CCP Dev's have also closed about 50 threads in total. And yes, when this new forum and half a year later CCL started, COAD was already pretty slow.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#31 - 2014-10-09 17:24:01 UTC
ISD strikes for:
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░ CRITICAL █▬█ █ ▀█▀ ░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

ArmyOfMe
Teddybears.
Dead Terrorists
#32 - 2014-10-09 17:25:00 UTC  |  Edited by: ArmyOfMe
ISD Ezwal wrote:
ArmyOfMe wrote:
However with the way CAOD is run, mostly in due of overzealous ISD and DEV moderators, that single subforum is now the least used subforum in here.
Right. Against my better judgement, as I should actually close this thread for discussing forum moderation, I will give you some facts.

The CCL division of ISD that is tasked with moderating the forum was founded in April 2012. So it exists for about 2.5 years.
In the 4 to 5 years before that moderation was often scarce and erratic.
The rule change regarding who can post in CAOD and who can not, was made long before CCL ever came to be, somewhere in the beginning of 2009 (rule 21).
I mean come on, apart from four CCL closed threads (2 cross-post duplicates and two blatant troll ones) in the past three months there are only 29 open player created threads there, the rest was automatically closed by the forum software for total lack of activity in the last 90 days......

You want to see the place more active and interesting? Do it yourself, but don't blame us for the current state.
We didn't do it, we weren't there! Well, hardly....Cool


First of, thanks for the reply and for not locking this thread as i knew it was in a way breaking one of the rules.
And i did in fact state that the massive decay of CAOD began with the changes to who could post there. In fact eve forums went rapidly downhill after the change to these new forums ( not sure if you have numbers for that, but im quite sure the old forums were a lot more active then these new ones, even though the playerbase is/was at one time double what it was during the days of the old forums).

Thanks for posting those stats, as it goes to prove both your point and mine i guess, that CAOD is simply dead.
And yes please, if the caod forums will be moderated like C&P, then at least I will start using them again, as I guess I quite simply expected that section to be moderated just the same way as the other sections.

So again, thank you for your reply as it was most helpfull Big smile

oh, and you actually cost me isk, as i had a bet the CAOD thread would get locked :(

GM Guard > I must ask you not to use the petition option like this again but i personally would finish the chicken sandwich first so it won´t go to waste. The spaghetti will keep and you can use it the next time you get hungry. Best regards.

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#33 - 2014-10-09 17:28:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Epeen
Ezwal, you might as well bang your head against a wall.

Because no matter how many times players in this sandbox (forums included) are given rope to hang themselves with, it'll be CCP's fault when they screw themselves.

So just tuck your facts away and lock the thread. It's a waste of time to try and convince people they have done it to themselves.

Mr Epeen Cool
ArmyOfMe
Teddybears.
Dead Terrorists
#34 - 2014-10-09 17:30:56 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Ezwal, you might as well bang your head against a wall.

Because no matter how many times players in this sandbox (forums included) are given rope to hang themselves with, it'll be CCP's fault when they screw themselves.

So just tuck your facts away and lock the thread. It's a waste of time to try and convince people they have done it to themselves.

Mr Epeen Cool

Bummer, and here i even thanked the man, and then you come here and say he should lock the thread What?

GM Guard > I must ask you not to use the petition option like this again but i personally would finish the chicken sandwich first so it won´t go to waste. The spaghetti will keep and you can use it the next time you get hungry. Best regards.

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#35 - 2014-10-09 17:34:34 UTC
ArmyOfMe wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Ezwal, you might as well bang your head against a wall.

Because no matter how many times players in this sandbox (forums included) are given rope to hang themselves with, it'll be CCP's fault when they screw themselves.

So just tuck your facts away and lock the thread. It's a waste of time to try and convince people they have done it to themselves.

Mr Epeen Cool

Bummer, and here i even thanked the man, and then you come here and say he should lock the thread What?


I type slow. My response started when the thread was at post #30.

Mr Epeen Cool
Marsha Mallow
#36 - 2014-10-09 17:42:28 UTC
DNSBLACK wrote:
I support this thread 100%. The long distance travel thread is a clear example of ISD letting it roll. It did bring back the fay of COAD gone wild.

It was fun reading the threads and the trolls. I hated having to go to Kugu and fail heap. COAD should be a smack talking war room.

Removal of alt posters killed CAOD, not moderation. And as AoM mentioned, the new forums didn't help (I stopped posting for a couple of years because of posts being persistently gobbled). Didn't agree with the altposting change at the time because some of the biggest smacktalking posters were hilarious, and they were bypassing their alliance posting policy most of the time rather than trolling purely to get threads locked. It was normally fairly obvious who they were anyway.

It's always amusing when people argue that CCP killed CAOD considering player run forum mods are a hell of a lot harsher than ISDs, with good reason. There was a noticeable shift towards contentless posting when Test formed and started spamming every forum with 4chan crap.

The only real way to revive CAOD is to start posting in there again and try encourage others to do the same. I can't see it happening though as there are likely quite a lot of people with forumbans on eve-o. Plus there's bugger all really happening in null anyway, and until that changes there's not much to smack about - look at the decline on kugu, or how quiet zugu is. Fair enough FHC and reddit are pretty active, but there's not much in the way of quality posting. Part of the reason for the popularity of the player sites is likely the ability to post even when unsubbed. Makes me wonder if the eve-forums should be accessible to the unsubbed on the offchance it might get people back ingame, but there are obvious problems with allowing bittervets access.

In a way it's not a bad thing that propaganda has shifted from forum based to news/blogsites because it allows people to write a hell of a lot more than they would in a regular forum post. The comments sections are at least as entertaining as CAOD used to be. It's annoying sometimes trying to keep up with so many different sites (although people tend to link the best ones ingame) but the variety isn't entirely a bad thing.

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

KuroVolt
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#37 - 2014-10-09 17:53:11 UTC
I am now in love with this thread.

We shall have the wedding at dawn!

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

flakeys
Doomheim
#38 - 2014-10-12 14:18:12 UTC  |  Edited by: flakeys
ArmyOfMe wrote:
As one of many veterans in this game, ive seen a lot of changes, both ingame and on the forums.
There was a time when the CAOD section of these very forums were filled with life (flames, trolls, a few battlereports and so on), however over the past few years things have changed.

.



There was also a time when nullsec was filled with a variation of life , however over the past years things have changed .I'm more inclined to believe that the low posting has more to do with only a handfull of blocks left and as such not much to discuss/troll about then to look at ISD or the inability to post with characters in a corp with less then X members.

The only times you see the posting go up again is when a new big war starts , and as we know over the last 4+ years big wars are becoming bigger BUT also a LOT more scarce.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Erin Crawford
#39 - 2014-10-12 14:55:56 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Ezwal, you might as well bang your head against a wall.

Because no matter how many times players in this sandbox (forums included) are given rope to hang themselves with, it'll be CCP's fault when they screw themselves.

So just tuck your facts away and lock the thread. It's a waste of time to try and convince people they have done it to themselves.

Mr Epeen Cool

Also, banging your head against the wall will either give you a headache or a headache.

"Those who talk don’t know. Those who know don’t talk. "

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#40 - 2014-10-12 15:08:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria Fera
Marsha Mallow wrote:
There was a noticeable shift towards contentless posting when Test formed and started spamming every forum with 4chan crap.

Good to have a historical perspective. They spammed local and even fleetchat too...


Also, this should probably be moved to CAOD.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Previous page123Next page