These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Factional Warfare PVP for Newbies?

Author
Lai-Mi Shih
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-10-09 00:33:06 UTC
Hey guys,

I'm quite new (under a month), a casual player, and would like some PVP. Questions:

1. Is Factional Warfare a good place to get some fun fights without too much pressure to deal with fleets?

2. What is the earliest ship I should be bringing? I can fly BCs, but not well enough to PVP in them, but I am fairly certain I can manage a tackle frigate.

3. I am currently flying Gallente ships. Is it worthwhile to crosstrain into Amarr?

Thanks all.

Also, I used to play back in 06-07 ish. So, I know roughly what I'm doing in terms of regular PVP, but it's been a while.
Aves Enderas
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2 - 2014-10-09 00:45:45 UTC
1) No one pressures you much to do anything in FW. If they do and you hate it, leave the corp. There are plenty to choose from in FW.

2) Leave anything above a cruiser docked up. Focus your training on frigs and dessies. Most of FW is dominated by these sized hulls.

3) You'll fit right in with the Gals if you can fly the derptron :P

Lastly, you may want to get in touch with some of the more established FW corps as a LOT has changed since you last played.
Civ Kado
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3 - 2014-10-09 03:00:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Civ Kado
basically pretty much what Aves said. FW is about as casual as you can get. Most fights are in frigates or destroyers, but of course once you skill up to BC and BS you are free to take them out as well.

Fleets depend on corporation you are in, but militia fleets are entirely optional, you don't need to join anything.

Again, frigates are 70% of the warzone, so a day old character is easely able to fit right in.

as for what ships to train to, this is all about tastes. The one thing I want to say tho, is that even if you pick one race or all of them, make sure you specialize the hell out of them, otherwise you're just gonna be a jack of all trades, master of none. You want to be good at one thing, rather than mediocre on all. So pick whichever race's ships you like the most, specialize in them, and if you want to train any other race do so at your own will, but again, specialize the hell out of them. Know their weaknesses and strength and use them to your advantage. To know these two things require time, experience and looking things up on google.

If you have a question on a specific race, feel free to ask and I will answer to the best of my knowledge. But pretty much any race is worth training to as long are you are sure you want to commit the time to specialize in them.
Lai-Mi Shih
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2014-10-09 05:26:25 UTC
Well, ultimately, my goal is to fly most of one race's T2 frigates. Are Amarr AFs and Interceptors fairly good compared to the other races? I'm rather tired of NPCs shooting out my drones, and I know it will be worse in PVP.

Good news on the lack of required skill and time commitment to FW, though. Thanks!
Darth Terona
Horde Vanguard.
Pandemic Horde
#5 - 2014-10-09 06:14:22 UTC
Vengeance is really good. Good luck getting fights though
Retribution is underwhelming. But unexpected

I don't fly the ceptors
Yan JTL
#6 - 2014-10-09 06:29:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Yan JTL
interceptors keep getting "Re-Balanced" Roll, they are quite hard to fly in early sp stages, assult frigs and other t2 frigs cannot enter novice plexes (which are where a lot of fighting happens) which means they will be up against cruisers aswell. for fw t1 frigs do really well as they are very cheap, are in abundance and great to learn in. once you get really good skills in t1 its just a small jump to a t2 and you will learn the niche each ship falls into
Luwc
State War Academy
Caldari State
#7 - 2014-10-09 07:13:36 UTC
FW can be done in T1 frigs.

other than that.

if you can fly a stealth bomber with a cov ops cloak hit me up ingame.

http://hugelolcdn.com/i/267520.gif

flaming phantom
Unlimited LTD
#8 - 2014-10-09 11:28:28 UTC
Yan JTL wrote:
assult frigs and other t2 frigs cannot enter novice plexes (which are where a lot of fighting happens) which means they will be up against cruisers aswell.

wrong, assualt frigs can't go into novice plexes, yes. But they can go into small plexes, which cruisers can't. You will not be fighting cruisers unless you go into a medium sized plex, but you could do that in a t1 frig as well.

Otherwsie, to answer the OP's question, yes FW is a great place to do casual PVP, that's what I am doing now. Any t1 frig is welcome in most FW fleet. As far as cross training, cross train to what interestes you. I can fly most minmatar, gallente, and caldari ships.

If you are gallente the other races have different bonuses to cross training into. Amarr usually armor tank, so your armor skills will carry over to amarr, but they use lasers instead, so you will need to train lasers.
Caldari mostly use missiles, but they also use railguns sometimes, so rail skills will help there. They however usually shield tankk, so you would need to train up some shield skills.
Minmatar are kind of that jack of al trades, sometimes armor, sometimes shields, and usually autocannons, so you might need to o a bit of training for them (i personaly love the minmatar, and only don't fly amarr due to RP reasons).
Lai-Mi Shih
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2014-10-09 22:44:52 UTC
Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to train up Amarr Frigate I, realized I like mid slots, and stuck to Gallente. I'll start in FW as soon as my skills are adequate.

PS -- Flaming phantom: I flew with PXIN in a previous life. Had some good fights against you guys.
Baron' Soontir Fel
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#10 - 2014-10-10 01:07:07 UTC
If you like mid-slots, I'd go Caldari.

They have at least 4 mids on all of their ships.

You also don't have to pick the faction that corresponds to your ship type.
Skurja Volpar
T.R.I.A.D
Ushra'Khan
#11 - 2014-10-10 23:52:48 UTC
Waiting for some imaginary sp barrier will do you no favors, if you can identify/exploit/avoid hard counters you can outplay your sp from day one, but learning those lessons just might involve getting blown up.

Also gallante are very much fotm at the moment, and in FW almost no one flies anything bigger than a cruiser.
Plato Forko
123 Fake Street
#12 - 2014-10-11 19:07:49 UTC
Welcome to FW, now leave your AF at home and bring a useful ship.
greg01
T.R.I.A.D
Ushra'Khan
#13 - 2014-10-11 19:15:38 UTC
I'd recommend training for Gallente ships. The comet, Algos and Navy Vexor are great for FW and pvp.

As for which faction? You'll get fights wherever you go! Just enjoy the game.

FW Comedy Central rages on and on.
Fret Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2014-10-14 21:26:16 UTC
Lai-Mi Shih wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm quite new (under a month), a casual player, and would like some PVP. Questions:

1. Is Factional Warfare a good place to get some fun fights without too much pressure to deal with fleets?

2. What is the earliest ship I should be bringing? I can fly BCs, but not well enough to PVP in them, but I am fairly certain I can manage a tackle frigate.

3. I am currently flying Gallente ships. Is it worthwhile to crosstrain into Amarr?

Thanks all.

Also, I used to play back in 06-07 ish. So, I know roughly what I'm doing in terms of regular PVP, but it's been a while.

1. Yes

2. Get 10 solo frigs and 10 fleet tackle frigs

3. Sure if you want. Though assuming you've already small t2 hybrid training Cal frig 5 and Dessie 5 give you the merlin (awesome) and corm (awesome) in very short order. Oh and if you've missile skills then you can fly that OP stupid Worm which pretty much decimates all other frigs in fw.
Flash Thomson
Crimson Serpent Syndicate
#15 - 2014-10-15 13:10:54 UTC
Hi Lai-Mi Shih,

I am pretty new to faction warfare my self.
I am on the Caldari side of things. Cool

One thing that some people have mentioned but I feel needs to be clearyfied:

1. You will get blown up a lot, as you need to learn which fights to take and which not.
(I am still learning that part P)
2. Bring a lot of ISK I have blown through 600 Mill easy in 3 or 4 weeks.
(Have done many mistakes, getting expensive implants was just one)

I have started a blog where I collected some useful information and write about my experience.
Go check it out.
www.caldarinews.wordpress.com

I hope you like it and it helps you.

Best Regards

Flash Thomson

PS: Lets have a duel P

Tanking since 1982

Reporting Caldari Faction Warfare news on www.caldarinews.wordpress.com

Crimson Draufgange
The Seven Shadows
Scotch And Tea.
#16 - 2014-10-16 01:41:21 UTC
Lai-Mi Shih wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks all.

1 - Yes.
2 - Start with T1 frigates, work your way up as you learn and become better at PvP.
3 - Train all the things!

My Velator is overpowered.

"I use my hairgel to tackle my targets because it has a long lasting firm hold." - Me.