These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Do I understand this correctly?

Author
M5 Tuttle
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#61 - 2011-12-13 03:48:00 UTC
Corina Jarr wrote:
Vernn wrote:
Corina Jarr wrote:
Vernn wrote:

I'm still out roughly 20 million and by your plan 20 hours of game time. Even if I did kill him he would be out what? A kestrel?

Who's getting the short end of that deal?

Where the hell do you buy ammo?

Even using the most expensive ammo I can find on the local market, I could fire over 1000 volleys before reaching 20M. And that is a lot of dead Kestrals.

It was a metaphor. The point is that no matter what goes down the griefer is the one coming out ahead. WAY WAY WAY ahead. The game gives him the power.

Not a metaphor. maybe you meant hyperbole... but it was a bad one at that as it was terribly invalid.

And he isn't bloody griefing!

they don't make EE majors take writing classes.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#62 - 2011-12-13 03:48:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
well griefing as an term is really "new-age MMORPG" abbreviation for PK.
It's not so much a “new age” term as a generalisation to cover all kinds of behaviours that aren't allowed in the game. It was required since games started to allow PK, making it silly to try to paint the two in the same light.

EVE lives and dies by the existence of player-killing, so it can't be equated to griefing without some rather specific qualifications.

Vernn wrote:
It was a metaphor. The point is that no matter what goes down the griefer ganker is the one coming out ahead. WAY WAY WAY ahead. The game gives him the power.
He loses more stuff than you do and (with a bit of luck) makes him go away. How does that make him come out ahead? Ugh
Quote:
From wikipedia....
…which is relevant to the topic how, exactly? The ganker most certainly gets something tangible: a kill mail; ganker cred; possibly ISK. Again, griefing isn't allowed in EVE and will get you banned. However, non-consensual PvP isn't griefing. You need to stop foolishly equating the two because it just ruins your argument.
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#63 - 2011-12-13 03:52:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Corina Jarr
Vernn wrote:
From wikipedia....

Quote:
A griefer is a player who does things in a game to deliberately cause annoyance ("grief" in the sense of "giving someone grief") for the griefer's own enjoyment. Such a player is a particular nuisance in online gaming communities, since griefers often cannot be deterred by penalties related to in-game goals.

We are talking about griefing, plain and simple. The ganker gets nothing tangible from what he does. And ironically we can see that in eve there really are no "penalties related to in-game goals" for the gankers.

That is a general (and in this case invalid) description of griefing.

In EVE (as per the devs) suiciding is not ganking. Until you take some measure to avoid it, it is perfecting legitimate.

Now, if he followed you around to many systems hunting you (and even then its grey) it could be considered griefing. But as you won't move, or take any measures to make him move, it isn't griefing. Just you being a moron.

God... you make me want to go gank miners... and I'm a pacifist.

EDIT: and there are penalties, you try it for months on end, see how much ISK you end up with.
Vernn
Winnguard
#64 - 2011-12-13 03:53:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Vernn
Corina Jarr wrote:
Vernn wrote:
From wikipedia....

Quote:
A griefer is a player who does things in a game to deliberately cause annoyance ("grief" in the sense of "giving someone grief") for the griefer's own enjoyment. Such a player is a particular nuisance in online gaming communities, since griefers often cannot be deterred by penalties related to in-game goals.

We are talking about griefing, plain and simple. The ganker gets nothing tangible from what he does. And ironically we can see that in eve there really are no "penalties related to in-game goals" for the gankers.

In EVE (as per the devs) suiciding is not ganking. Until you take some measure to avoid it, it is perfecting legitimate.

Now, if he followed you around to many systems hunting you (and even then its grey) it could be considered griefing. But as you won't move, or take any measures to make him move, it isn't griefing. Just you being a moron.

EDIT: and there are penalties, you try it for months on end, see how much ISK you end up with.

So why is the ganker ganking then? Why does he do it? If its not griefing then that means he has some good reason. If not then its griefing. Why can't you see that?
Pesky LaRue
Mercatoris
#65 - 2011-12-13 03:55:27 UTC
Vernn wrote:
From wikipedia....

Quote:

so, no matter how many times YOU say it's griefing, if CCP don't agree then - within the universe they created, maintain and run - it is NOT griefing.

You may feel it is, but that doesn't make it so. But you have come to the right conclusion, this game isn't for you and you should find one that better suits your play style.
Vernn
Winnguard
#66 - 2011-12-13 03:55:33 UTC
M5 Tuttle wrote:
Corina Jarr wrote:
Vernn wrote:
Corina Jarr wrote:
Vernn wrote:

I'm still out roughly 20 million and by your plan 20 hours of game time. Even if I did kill him he would be out what? A kestrel?

Who's getting the short end of that deal?

Where the hell do you buy ammo?

Even using the most expensive ammo I can find on the local market, I could fire over 1000 volleys before reaching 20M. And that is a lot of dead Kestrals.

It was a metaphor. The point is that no matter what goes down the griefer is the one coming out ahead. WAY WAY WAY ahead. The game gives him the power.

Not a metaphor. maybe you meant hyperbole... but it was a bad one at that as it was terribly invalid.

And he isn't bloody griefing!

they don't make EE majors take writing classes.

Technical writing. But it was pretty much a blowoff class. lol
M5 Tuttle
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#67 - 2011-12-13 03:56:20 UTC
Vernn wrote:

So why is the ganker ganking then? Why does he do it? If its not griefing then that means he has some good reason. If not then its griefing. Why can't you see that?

tippia answered this
Pesky LaRue
Mercatoris
#68 - 2011-12-13 03:57:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Pesky LaRue
Vernn wrote:

You're pre-supposing we all have the same values with that statement.

I find this thread to be ill-conceieved and pointless, but saying "Why can't you see that?" to you is pointless in itself.

Just because you don't understand the motivations doesn't make this griefing. It really doesn't.
Vernn
Winnguard
#69 - 2011-12-13 03:57:42 UTC
Pesky LaRue wrote:
Vernn wrote:
From wikipedia....

Quote:

so, no matter how many times YOU say it's griefing, if CCP don't agree then - within the universe they created, maintain and run - it is NOT griefing.

You may feel it is, but that doesn't make it so. But you have come to the right conclusion, this game isn't for you and you should find one that better suits your play style.

So if CCP says calling people names based on their race isn't racism, then according to you it wouldn't be racism?

Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#70 - 2011-12-13 03:58:09 UTC
You can think whatever you want about the OP, you can think whatever you want about how "harsh" New Eden should or should not be. But what the game will have to face continually is people unsubscribing over being harassed for as long as it is tolerated.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#71 - 2011-12-13 03:58:36 UTC
Vernn wrote:
So why is the ganker ganking then? Why does he do it?
Did you miss that part of “campaign against ice miners”?
Have you noticed the existence of kill mails?
Have you seen the Crime & Punishment subforum?
Have you seen the ice market recently?
Have you had a look at your own fittings and drops?

There are roughly eighty bajillion reasons.

…and your choice to offer yourself as a dependable and easy target for any and all of the above doesn't help.
First Lieutenant Dan
Doomheim
#72 - 2011-12-13 03:59:40 UTC
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#73 - 2011-12-13 03:59:58 UTC
Vernn wrote:
Corina Jarr wrote:
Vernn wrote:
From wikipedia....

Quote:

Because some people find blowing **** up fun. Maybe that is a hard concept for you to grasp, but some people can't stand sitting in front of a screen mining all day. They prefer explosions.

Some also do it for the KBs... don't see a purpose in them myself.
Others do it for financial benefit (either scooping lot/salvage or in the case of ice, raising prices).
And others do it because they can. They can destroy, rather than build, and that is what they want to do.
Pesky LaRue
Mercatoris
#74 - 2011-12-13 04:00:04 UTC
Vernn wrote:
Pesky LaRue wrote:
Vernn wrote:
From wikipedia....

Quote:

So if CCP says calling people names based on their race isn't racism, then according to you it wouldn't be racism?

The day you're mining in the real world and someone comes and blows up your hulk, come back and let's compare the real world with a game, shall we?

Using a true racist insult remains racism, calling someone "a gallente pedo" isn't racism as this is a game, and that insult - like your hulk - doesn't really exist.

Get over it, grow up, move on.
Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#75 - 2011-12-13 04:01:02 UTC
When your security status gets low enough and you enter a system too high in security rating compared to your negative security status, TWO things of note happen :
(1) the NAVY of the sovereign faction will attack you (same as it happens with enemy militia players)
*** in the SPECIAL CASE EXCEPTION when you do that in a system where CONCORD has sov, then you WILL get CONCORDOKKENED, but otherwise it's just navy ships - annoying but avoidable, killable, tankable
and
(2) OTHER PLAYERS CAN SHOOT AT YOU WHENEVER THEY DAMN WELL PLEASE without getting CONCORDOKKENED themselves.

Some other noteworthy thing happens when you hit a low enough security rating, namely, somebody assisting you will get punished for doing so, but that's a different story. Still somewhat relevant though.

And yes, all of those things are fully intentional, and they *DO* make highsec quite safe, actually, since it means you don't just have to sit and watch for some guy to engage you first, you can engage "the bad guy" at any moment you damn well please.

It's a HUGE step between looking at a few slightly yellow fellows on a gate going "oh, yeah, somebody will get suicide-ganked", or looking at a bunch of flashy reds and going "I'd better get into a PvP ship and come shoot at these guys, fast".
The fact more people don't bother to go hunting for -5s or lower in highsec it's what's the REAL problem.
And it's completely a PLAYER problem.
First Lieutenant Dan
Doomheim
#76 - 2011-12-13 04:01:04 UTC
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#77 - 2011-12-13 04:03:16 UTC
Vernn wrote:
Pesky LaRue wrote:
Vernn wrote:
From wikipedia....

Quote:

What is said in chat usually is not covered under gameplay.

Ganking is gameplay, (griefing too, but its illegal) and CCP has say over what their gameplay is and isn't.
Vernn
Winnguard
#78 - 2011-12-13 04:04:51 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Vernn wrote:

…and your choice to offer yourself as a dependable and easy target for any and all of the above doesn't help.

And how are any of those tangible benefits to them?

THEY ARE GRIEFERS!

Look me and you are just going to have to agree to disagree ok. Nuff said.
Pesky LaRue
Mercatoris
#79 - 2011-12-13 04:06:33 UTC
Vernn wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Vernn wrote:

And how are any of those tangible benefits to them?

THEY ARE GRIEFERS!

Look me and you are just going to have to agree to disagree ok. Nuff said.

Fair enough, but you DO realise you're agreeing to disagree with CCP, right? Tippia is simply relaying what they have previously said, not making these rules up.

So....now what?
Herr Wilkus
Aggressive Salvage Services LLC
#80 - 2011-12-13 04:06:38 UTC

Mainly, it gives me pleasure to know that you have to buy a new Hulk or Mackinaw.

Also,
I build Hulks and Mackinaws.

So when I pop yours, it forces you to buy another one, sometimes from me and I get ISK.

Also: Intact Armor Plates are nice, and Exhumers drop them.

Hulks look nice on the KB too.

But mainly, I get pleasure from the fact that I wrecked your 200M toy for peanuts, and there isn't anything you can do about it.

But no, that doesn't make it griefing. Because I'd have been kicked out of Eve, oh, like 120 Exhumers ago.