These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Do I understand this correctly?

Author
Vernn
Winnguard
#1 - 2011-12-13 02:21:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Vernn
If I go into an ice belt in a barge to mine, I can get ganked repeatedly by someone with a -10 security status?

Someone who is supposed to be insta killed by concord can somehow warp to me and kill me over and over again in practically free ships?

I have no problem whatsoever with being ganked, so long as they take the security hit, and after several times concord instagibs them. Keeps the game fun having to pay attention for stuff like that.

However are you seriously telling me that this game has come to the point where I can lose multimillion isk ships in high sec to someone who has -10 sec rating over and over again?

Really?

*stunned*
Zions Child
Higashikata Industries
#2 - 2011-12-13 02:23:44 UTC
I'm sorry, but as far as I can tell a huik is about 200 million isk, which is about half a PLEX, or about 8-9 dollars. Hardly multimillion, good sir. Unless, of course, you have been royally scammed.
Myxx
The Scope
#3 - 2011-12-13 02:24:57 UTC
You learn something every day. Learn about aggro mechanics and how to tank a mining ship.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#4 - 2011-12-13 02:25:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Vernn wrote:
If I go into an ice belt in a barge to mine, I can get ganked repeatedly by someone with a -10 security status?

Someone who is supposed to be insta killed by concord can somehow warp to me and kill me over and over again in practically free ships?
No, they are not supposed to be insta-killed by CONCORD.

Partly because nothing is insta-killed by CONCORD, partly because CONCORD has nothing to do with being an outlaw.
Quote:
However are you seriously telling me that this game has come to the point where I can lose multimillion dollar ships in high sec to someone who has -10 sec rating over and over again?
Multi-million dollar ship? That's what… 20 trillion ISK? Anyway, yes, that can happen, but no it has not “come to this point” — it has never left that point, nor is there any reason why it should.

So to answer your question: no, you haven't understood it correctly.
Vernn
Winnguard
#5 - 2011-12-13 02:27:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Vernn
Such a wonderful community. So much heart. So much love and warmth.

Dollars edited to isk for the overly literal. lol

So in essence what you're saying is that in this game you are paying to get griefed anytime anywhere?

Well, my return to eve will be short then.
mkint
#6 - 2011-12-13 02:30:34 UTC
People saw this coming when the Orca was first introduced. I'm kinda surprised it's taken this long to reach "crisis" levels.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Michael Turate
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2011-12-13 02:36:25 UTC
You are bad - that's why you keep getting blowed up. Work on being less bad and you'll be OK.
MeestaPenni
Mercantile and Stuff
#8 - 2011-12-13 02:37:07 UTC
Good job folks....jump all over the mistaken "dollars" for "isk".

Makes me proud to be a pod pilot.

I am not Prencleeve Grothsmore.

Vernn
Winnguard
#9 - 2011-12-13 02:37:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Vernn
Just to be clear I'm not a baby about getting blown up. It keeps the game exciting.

If I get caught with my pants down and blown up then hey, more power to the guy, I hope he enjoys my stuff.

But this is just flat out griefing. This isn't piracy, or playing a bad guy.

Whats the purpose of a security rating then if stuff like this can go on?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#10 - 2011-12-13 02:40:44 UTC
mkint wrote:
People saw this coming when the Orca was first introduced. I'm kinda surprised it's taken this long to reach "crisis" levels.

The effect of the Orca is psychological at best — mechanics-wise it makes absolutely no difference. Any ship that can be stored in an Orca and be used for ganks can already trivially evade the faction police forces. At most, it keeps the pirates safe from players, but no-one seems to bother with attacking outlaw ships anyway, so again, the difference is negligible.
Vernn wrote:
JBut this is just flat out griefing. This isn't piracy, or playing a bad guy.

Whats the purpose of a security rating then if stuff like this can go on?
It's not griefing — it's just standard suicide ganking.
The purpose of a security rating is to make things a bit more difficult for the pirates, and make them legal targets for anyone to attack.
Vernn
Winnguard
#11 - 2011-12-13 02:47:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Vernn
Tippia wrote:

The purpose of a security rating is to make things a bit more difficult for the pirates, and make them legal targets for anyone to attack.

So suicide ganking isn't griefing? Lets be honest, we are splitting hairs at this point.

Make things a bit more difficult for pirates? They don't seem to be having any difficulties. In fact it doesn't seem to have slowed them down at all.

Make them legal targets to attack? Why would anyone attack them when they are flying around throw away ships? There is no motivation.
Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2011-12-13 02:51:27 UTC
griefing, ganking, gameplay, bad guys, care bears, pirates, null overlords who are bored to death

See that many times, nothing will change. You hold into your opinion and let others have their own.
Vernn
Winnguard
#13 - 2011-12-13 02:51:39 UTC
Vernn wrote:
Tippia wrote:

So repeated suicide ganking isn't griefing? Lets be honest, we are splitting hairs at this point.

Make things a bit more difficult for pirates? They don't seem to be having any difficulties. In fact it doesn't seem to have slowed them down at all.

Make them legal targets to attack? Why would anyone attack them when they are flying around throw away ships? There is no motivation.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#14 - 2011-12-13 02:55:23 UTC
Quote:
So suicide ganking isn't griefing? Lets be honest, we are splitting hairs at this point.
No, we're not splitting hairs. Suicide ganking is just standard non-consensual PvP where the attacker is willing to pay with his ship for a chance to kill the target. Griefing isn't allowed in EVE and will get you banned.
Quote:

Why attack them? Because that makes things more difficult for them and because, even in throw-away ships, you're taking things away from them (in particular, you're robbing them of the thing that really hurts: the kill). It's not the game's fault if you give them carte blanche to do what they want.

Oh, and it does indeed slow them down, because the logistics of the whole thing becomes a bit more complicated and because they no longer have a free choice of ships to use.
Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2011-12-13 02:58:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaroslav Unwanted
Both Tipia and Andski...

You failed at following.

It is un-fair. But life is not fair nor the EVE is. Thats how it is. You gonna get screwed and asking for fairness never worked in this game or in life.

You wont get what you deserve. Thats how it is.

Things going on, time passing by, in the end we all die.
First Lieutenant Dan
Doomheim
#16 - 2011-12-13 02:59:34 UTC
Vernn
Winnguard
#17 - 2011-12-13 02:59:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Vernn
TippiaWhy wrote:
Because that makes things more difficult for them and because, even in throw-away ships, you're taking things away from them (in particular, you're robbing them of the thing that really hurts: the kill). It's not the game's fault if you give them carte blanche to do what they want.

Oh, and it does indeed slow them down, because the logistics of the whole thing becomes a bit more complicated and because they no longer have a free choice of ships to use.

Are -10 not allowed to trade in stations? Because if they can then your argument is weak. Any alt could bring them any ship they wanted in as great a supply as they wanted.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#18 - 2011-12-13 03:00:19 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Both Tipia and Andski...

You failed at following.

It is un-fair. But life is not fair nor the EVE is. Thats how it is. You gonna get screwed and asking for fairness never worked in this game or in life.

I guess I worded it wrong, but yeah, crying about unfairness in EVE Online, a game centered in a hyper-capitalistic dog-eat-dog universe, is silly.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#19 - 2011-12-13 03:02:42 UTC
Vernn wrote:
Are -10 not allowed to trade in stations? Because if they can then your argument is weak. Any alt could bring them any ship they wanted in as great a supply as they wanted.
…which makes the logistics a bit more complicated and limits their choice in ships.
Vernn
Winnguard
#20 - 2011-12-13 03:06:40 UTC
Andski wrote:
I guess I worded it wrong, but yeah, crying about unfairness in EVE Online, a game centered in a hyper-capitalistic dog-eat-dog universe, is silly.

No, i'm not crying about general unfairness in all of eve. I am commenting on a very specific situation that defies logic.

Follow me here.

I get the fact that eve is not a carebear game. I do. I am not crying about being blown up. It happens. I am not complaining about the fact that people can suicide gank. If someone wrongs you bad enough you should be able to suicide gank, with a real consequence.

My argument simply is that someone with a -10 rating should not be allowed to kill the same person over and over again in the same spot in high sec.

Yes, I get it. The very nature of eve dictates that you're never truly safe anywhere, and I appreciate the heart pounding moments that can bring to the game. I am not against suicide ganking.

I am against a player with a -10 security rating killing the same people in the same spot over and over again in high sec without any penalty other than losing a ship with almost no value.

I think its a pretty narrow and reasonable complaint.
123Next pageLast page