These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Can you recover a biomassed toon?

First post
Author
Karn Dulake
Doomheim
#21 - 2011-12-12 01:02:29 UTC
Ive talked to a lot of people in this game who have thought about deleting their toons.

its mainly because this game is a time sink that needs a lot of investment.

You can run a few missions a week or you can be an active part of a corp trying to create something and that cannot be done without a big investment of time as there is always a lot going on.

Ive seen this game take over peoples lives and although it does not affect the majority of players it can pull people in without them realising it. This is especially true of New CEOS

I dont normally troll, but when i do i do it on General Discussion.
AkJon Ferguson
JC Ferguson and Son Ltd
Ferguson Alliance
#22 - 2011-12-12 01:46:47 UTC
It's pathetic that CCP restores biomassed characters for people who whine loudly enough. Further proof that they just don't understand the game at all.
Ai Shun
#23 - 2011-12-12 02:04:40 UTC
Karn Dulake wrote:

Which makes even less sense, if you think about it. Your friend just created something that required the time sink investment to train 25 million skill points. And then deleted it for what reason?

• Because he/she did not have the mental fortitude to quit and unsubscribe, but need the added re-affirmation of a deleted character?
  • Because he/she did not consider the possibility of actually coming back one day when circumstances change?
  • Other? _______________________

Could you ask him why he deleted it, please? I'm plain curious now.
Taiwanistan
#24 - 2011-12-12 02:10:51 UTC
Karn Dulake wrote:
A friend of mine biomassed his 25 million SP character when he realised that as a successful hard working man with a wife, children and an active social life he was spending his free time with the worlds basement dwellers and had started to hate himself.

He now realises that it was a mistake and he wants back into the game so he can interact with people less fortunate than him so that he never rests on his laurals or takes his life for granted.

Is it gone forever or can CCP get it back for him

the bold parts to show you are so edgy

TA on wis: "when we have a feature that is its own functional ecosystem of gameplay then hooks into the greater ecosystem of EVE as a whole, and it provides good replayability."

Karn Dulake
Doomheim
#25 - 2011-12-12 02:11:24 UTC
Ai Shun wrote:
Karn Dulake wrote:

Which makes even less sense, if you think about it. Your friend just created something that required the time sink investment to train 25 million skill points. And then deleted it for what reason?

• Because he/she did not have the mental fortitude to quit and unsubscribe, but need the added re-affirmation of a deleted character?
  • Because he/she did not consider the possibility of actually coming back one day when circumstances change?
  • Other? _______________________

Could you ask him why he deleted it, please? I'm plain curious now.

game took over his life and he could not quit
Karn Dulake
Doomheim
#26 - 2011-12-12 02:12:53 UTC
Taiwanistan wrote:
Karn Dulake wrote:
A friend of mine biomassed his 25 million SP character when he realised that as a successful hard working man with a wife, children and an active social life he was spending his free time with the worlds basement dwellers and had started to hate himself.

He now realises that it was a mistake and he wants back into the game so he can interact with people less fortunate than him so that he never rests on his laurals or takes his life for granted.

the bold parts to show you are so edgy

LOLS thats funny. i just realised that i only needed about 6 words in that whole post for it to be affective
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#27 - 2011-12-12 03:33:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Ai Shun wrote:
Karn Dulake wrote:

Why do some players somehow think that deleting characters when quitting an online, subscription based game is a good idea?

Hopefully one day an MMO developer will create a system where they simply flag the character and hide it from the system as if it never existed and then charge double the character transfer fee to recover it. Where a player could do it themselves from account management.

Call it a tax on foolish impulses.

The problem with that is that some people would throw violent fits if they could not eradicate their character and associated information completely.

If you don't believe me, harken back to when the attempts were made to hack CCP. Even though the attack was thwarted successfully, some people panicked and closed their accounts... and then went so far as to DEMAND that all traces of their transactions with CCP be eradicated from the CCP data base. Which, of course, didn't happen.

So although you are correct it would seem to be a sensible thing to do, if the sheep really insist on running off the cliff it's best to just get out of the way.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

GM Homonoia
Game Master Retirement Home
#28 - 2011-12-12 03:46:00 UTC
In theory biomassed character can be recovered (we rarely truly delete any game data, but when something has to go, biomassed stuff is high on the list), but the process can cause issues. A character is more then a set of skills and stuff, there are other things that tie into it as well.

The short of it is that we sometimes (NOTE: not always) can and will recover a character if there is good reason to do so. However, the character will then be returned as is; if anything is broken, missing, behaving weird, etc, we cannot help in fixing the situation as too much information has been purged.

The real lesson is what others in this thread have already said; if there is no good reason to delete a character, you are advised to simply not do so. You do it at your own risk.

Senior GM Homonoia | Info Group | Senior Game Master

Myxx
The Scope
#29 - 2011-12-12 04:48:13 UTC
GM Homonoia wrote:

The real lesson is what others in this thread have already said; if there is no good reason to delete a character, you are advised to simply not do so. You do it at your own risk.

And THIS is why I'll never delete or sell my main, here.
Taak Coram
Outdated Host Productions
#30 - 2011-12-12 05:31:18 UTC
Dr Karsun wrote:
I don't get why people delete their toons when leaving an mmo...

I haven't even deleted my character I used to play with in my achaea.com times... I may wanna play that game one day again, but wait... What was my password there? D:

Haha, good ol' Achaea. I jumped that ship when Imperian started up, but cool to see another Iron Realms gamer about.

Also, to keep this post relevant, I also don't see a point in deleting a character when quitting. I burn out quite a bit from Eve, but I'd never let go of this character.
Ai Shun
#31 - 2011-12-12 21:33:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Ai Shun
Ranger 1 wrote:
The problem with that is that some people would throw violent fits if they could not eradicate their character and associated information completely.

If you don't believe me, harken back to when the attempts were made to hack CCP. Even though the attack was thwarted successfully, some people panicked and closed their accounts... and then went so far as to DEMAND that all traces of their transactions with CCP be eradicated from the CCP data base. Which, of course, didn't happen.

So although you are correct it would seem to be a sensible thing to do, if the sheep really insist on running off the cliff it's best to just get out of the way.

I understand where you are going. NZ has strong privacy principles and security of your information, etc. is very important. But keep in mind that your characters, your assets and so forth are all owned by CCP. The only information they are obligated to remove is your account information.

Of course, a biomassed character would release the name back into the pool as well and with an ever decreasing namespace that has value all by itself.

Consider the suggestion retracted Lol
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#32 - 2011-12-12 22:09:26 UTC
Karn Dulake wrote:
A friend of mine

I stopped reading there. If you're going to post a stupid question, at least take the credit for it.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
#33 - 2011-12-12 22:20:53 UTC
Delete Skydell....

You might as well ask me to shoot one of my kids.

Call MMO characters Service!! Take away that mans Internet!
IGNATIUS HOOD
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#34 - 2011-12-12 23:25:31 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:

So his wife left him, hu ?

Nice to know I'm not the only one who expiriences wife aggro occasionally. I Wish CONCORD made house visits becuase I swear my home is in HS and all this aggro is borderline greifer behavior. I tell her she spends more time watchign TV then I do on EVE and that only seems to make things worse... Twisted

We all need a hobby don't we? I mean I guess I could take up model railroading.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."   --H.L. Mencken
IGNATIUS HOOD
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#35 - 2011-12-12 23:25:39 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:

Nice to know I'm not the only one who expiriences wife aggro occasionally. I Wish CONCORD made house visits becuase I swear my home is in HS and all this aggro is borderline greifer behavior. I tell her she spends more time watching TV then I do on EVE and that only seems to make things worse... Twisted

We all need a hobby don't we? I mean I guess I could take up model railroading instead.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."   --H.L. Mencken
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#36 - 2011-12-12 23:30:21 UTC
IGNATIUS HOOD wrote:
Solstice Project wrote:

Nice to know I'm not the only one who expiriences wife aggro occasionally. I Wish CONCORD made house visits becuase I swear my home is in HS and all this aggro is borderline greifer behavior. I tell her she spends more time watching TV then I do on EVE and that only seems to make things worse... Twisted

We all need a hobby don't we? I mean I guess I could take up model railroading instead.

Or you could try English classes.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Spyres
Falsify Holdings
#37 - 2011-12-12 23:47:56 UTC
Dr Karsun wrote:
I don't get why people delete their toons when leaving an mmo...

I haven't even deleted my character I used to play with in my achaea.com times... I may wanna play that game one day again, but wait... What was my password there? D:

They become addicted/obsessed and feel that only by taking the most drastic actions, can they kick the habit. Problem is with a bit of hindsight, gained from being unable to login, they realise that it was not the game that was not at fault, but their inability to moderate the way they played it. Finally, they come to see the problem was their own creation and swear they can do better next time, so come back grovelling for their character to be re-instated....
Spyres
Falsify Holdings
#38 - 2011-12-12 23:50:52 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Karn Dulake wrote:
A friend of mine

I stopped reading there. If you're going to post a stupid question, at least take the credit for it.

Stupid is stupid. If he bio-massed his char he wouldn't be able to post here would he?
Nullbeard Rager
Doomheim
#39 - 2011-12-13 00:29:04 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
HURR DURR HURR

Fixt.Pirate

Field of Trolls:  "If you chum it, they will come."

Pesky LaRue
Mercatoris
#40 - 2011-12-13 00:53:21 UTC
Spyres wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Karn Dulake wrote:
A friend of mine

Stupid is stupid. If he bio-massed his char he wouldn't be able to post here would he?

You might want to sit and consider that for a second.

a) no one said this was the char he was trying to have reconstituted
b) there are 3 character slots on each account, so he could have biomassed a char and STILL make a post
c) he could be the proud owner of multiple accounts. I know that's not very common in EvE, but I have heard that it happens from time to time.

Previous page123Next page