These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Author
Jeami
Doomheim
#1 - 2011-12-12 19:17:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Jeami
Leemi Sobo
#2 - 2011-12-12 19:22:32 UTC
Jeami wrote:
But can I turn a profit?

Yes, you can Smile
Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2011-12-12 19:24:13 UTC
This is EvE...you need an army of alts for everything.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Whiteknight03
Trilon Industries and Exploration
#4 - 2011-12-12 19:25:52 UTC
Of course you can turn a profit. However, it will be somewhat hard to use all of the slots a POS is capable of alone, I believe. If you do construction and research there, you might be able to max out a small with one character.
Castor II
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2011-12-12 19:25:54 UTC
Not really but it helps, especially with T2 production. You can easily pay for the fuel and turn in a decent profit with a single character though.

Avid Bumhumper
Beekeepers Anonymous
#6 - 2011-12-12 19:28:12 UTC
2 research alts for copying and material research will help you use the pos more efficiently. Otherwise you will never keep all your slots busy...

My Tinfoil hat has been sugically implanted, so no,it is not for sale.....

LordSwift
Wrabble Wrousers
#7 - 2011-12-12 19:33:23 UTC
If you can sacrifice the time. Create and train up the two empty slots you might have on this account. not sure how long it might take to get them good enough. not to long if i remember.
Bingo two spare alts

Mal: "If anyone gets nosy, just...you know... shoot 'em. "

Zoe: "Shoot 'em?"

Mal: "Politely."

Pesky LaRue
Mercatoris
#8 - 2011-12-12 20:08:35 UTC
Castor II wrote:
Not really but it helps, especially with T2 production. You can easily pay for the fuel and turn in a decent profit with a single character though.

this - I had an alt with a highsec POS and managed to make a very, very good living a single char inventing and manufacturing - I then trained up a couple of my alts and put them to work (copying, inventing, etc) and my profits increased exponentially. What I did find, however, was that it went from being a fun little distraction/endeavor to a lot of work and so I finally closed down my POS and moved on to other things.
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#9 - 2011-12-12 20:09:55 UTC
Short answer. No

Long Answer Yes.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
#10 - 2011-12-12 20:16:35 UTC
Datacores is the only thing that benefits from multiples. It accumulates in real time and if you have 12 chars with datacore accumulation it can only be better.

Most everything on the POS per say is manageable by a single char. The bulk of the SP on this char are R&D and production POS gunner 5. I can manufacture everything up to Golem and Paladin. Can make Titans and can make alliances and Sov a system. Of course obtaining all the resources and ISK for much of that to happen? Go find that Army or make it.
Grukni
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#11 - 2011-12-12 20:27:32 UTC
Skydell wrote:
Datacores is the only thing that benefits from multiples. It accumulates in real time and if you have 12 chars with datacore accumulation it can only be better.

I find it quite time consuming at first getting standings high enough to get access to lvl4 R&D agents.
Grukni
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#12 - 2011-12-12 20:28:35 UTC
Skydell wrote:

I find it quite consuming at first, getting the standings high enough to get access to lvl4 R&D agents.
Whiteknight03
Trilon Industries and Exploration
#13 - 2011-12-13 05:27:41 UTC
Grukni wrote:

I find it quite consuming at first, getting the standings high enough to get access to lvl4 R&D agents.

Level 4 agents aren't all that difficult to get. I brought an Orca with a Gila loaded to SOE and some Caldari Corp, and I had the standings for level 4's in less than 2 days of casual missioning.
Mistress Motion
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2011-12-13 07:36:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Mistress Motion
Avid Bumhumper wrote:
2 research alts for copying and material research will help you use the pos more efficiently. Otherwise you will never keep all your slots busy...

Words of truth. Copying alts don't need much skills, if there's empty slots in account. And invention doesn't really take too much time, at least compared to mat research and copying. So if you do all yourself, you end up always having 3-5 of the max11 jobs occupied. (Or max 10, because there's so much else to learn than that crappy adv lab lvl5...)

But then again, if you do invention, you don't need to material research them, since original ME doesn't matter and you get more free slots for inventing.

Anyway, you can really make decent money with just one char, but you need to know what to manufacture, since you can't mass produce huge quantities.
Klandi
Consortium of stella Technologies
#15 - 2011-12-13 09:15:47 UTC
At least 3, and more if you go into carrier production ... and then you might need more than that if you wish to move the carriers ... (cyno alts)

I am aware of my own ignorance and have checked my emotional quotient - thanks for asking

Sturmwolke
#16 - 2011-12-13 09:36:54 UTC
Jeami wrote:

I've decided to get into science production, but I want to do it with only one character, I've decided to put up a POS. So is there a middle ground possible? Can I run a POS with 1 account? I'm not looking to absolutely maximize profit. Theoretically that would just lead you to 10 accounts and 30 characters. But can I turn a profit?

You can run a medium Caldari POS with 1 account nicely with 52 slots total (14 copy/14ME/6PE/18 invention) "general" configuration.
Assuming you've got every character trained, you'll have 30/52 active slots at any one time doing various things.
Profits depend on what you do with those slots, but it's not too difficult to achieve break-even.

Hardcore S & I with multiple accounts and hundreds of alts is just a matter specializing and scaling (up) that basic business model.
If you're not into that sort of thing, 1 account is perfectly fine .. though to be honest, I find a minimum 2 accounts necessary to get around most things.

The only major bottleneck requiring more than 1 account is manufacturing .. though, keeping in mind the cost of maintaining a 30 slot manufacturing account against the returns that it brings, I doubt it'd be very atttractive for smallish schemes. Always measure it to how much time and effort you're willing to commit. The bottleneck shouldn't be an issue for your particular case.
Mirime Nolwe
Mantra of Pain
#17 - 2011-12-13 11:29:16 UTC
I had a second account with a invention/Production char and it was quite easy to manage POS stuff and get a good profit in the end.

And it's not that time consuming, at least i didn't spent a lot of time in game with that char. The result in 6 months was 8 Bil Profit but that was 1 year ago, i dont know if POS manage is harder now.. (dont play much these days)
Jagga Spikes
Spikes Chop Shop
#18 - 2011-12-13 12:06:46 UTC
no, you don't need an army of alts to maximize profits. you only need to identify which step is most profitable and do that step.
Phosphorus Palladium
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#19 - 2011-12-13 12:16:35 UTC
Quote:
this - I had an alt with a highsec POS and managed to make a very, very good living a single char inventing and manufacturing - I then trained up a couple of my alts and put them to work (copying, inventing, etc) and my profits increased exponentially. What I did find, however, was that it went from being a fun little distraction/endeavor to a lot of work and so I finally closed down my POS and moved on to other things.

Pretty much this. Had a POS as well and was running it myself. Was fun at first and always profitable, but it is a lot of effort for one person to keep it going smoothly. Closed mine down as well because it felt like real life work to keep it going.
Skippermonkey
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#20 - 2011-12-13 12:26:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Skippermonkey
running a POS you always have this nagging feeling that you have to be busy 200% of the time to make the POS earn its keep.

Which can turn an 'alt' into a 'main' if you arent paying attention.

also... managing buy and sell orders is a pain in the butt

COME AT ME BRO

I'LL JUST BE DOCKED IN THIS STATION