These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

50000? What happens when we have 60k, 70k or 80k players on at one time?

Author
Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
#21 - 2011-12-12 19:57:10 UTC
If EVE hits 100K there will be 10,000 wives pissed at thier husband for buying a 10th EVE account.
Pesky LaRue
Mercatoris
#22 - 2011-12-12 20:00:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Pesky LaRue
Vertisce Soritenshi wrote:
lol..."spiraling into decline".

ex·ag·ger·ate
   [ig-zaj-uh-reyt] Show IPA verb, -at·ed, -at·ing.
verb (used with object)
to magnify beyond the limits of truth; overstate; represent disproportionately: to exaggerate the difficulties of a situation.
to increase or enlarge abnormally: Those shoes exaggerate the size of my feet.

how is that exaggeration, given what had happened in the 6 months leading up to Crucible? Are you completely unaware of the massive downturn in logged in players there had been during that time frame? If so, here's a definition for you to work with:

ig·no·ra·mus   [ig-nuh-rey-muhs, -ram-uhs]
noun, plural -mus·es.
an extremely ignorant person.

and, before you come back with any more ill-informed definitions, take a look at the server stats over the last three, six or twelve months and then tell me that there wasn't a serious drop in the number of players logged in.

Either way, the 50k two weekends in a row IS an indicator that things may be moving in the right direction again.
Hainnz
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2011-12-12 20:04:26 UTC
Some of those lost subs might have been simply people burning out or experiencing MMO fatigue (with Incarna, Nex, whatever being just the ostensible reason). 5+ years is a long time to play an MMO and EVE is a fair bit older than that. Other games about the same age like WoW seem to be losing subs too.
Dragon Outlaw
Rogue Fleet
#24 - 2011-12-12 20:21:23 UTC
Skydell wrote:
If EVE hits 100K there will be 10,000 wives pissed at thier husband for buying a 10th EVE account.

I am at two accounts and my wife is already pissed! Big smile
Dragon Outlaw
Rogue Fleet
#25 - 2011-12-12 20:35:09 UTC
Renan Ruivo wrote:
Doesn't really matter how many players you have online on the server as a whole, since they are always divided in nodes. If it gets above 100k players online then i'm pretty sure CCP can just as easelly add more hardware power, since the whole thing is quite modular.

The problem is having over 1k players online in a single node doing high lag thing like activating modules, shooting at each other, firing missiles, etc...

Hmmm...sounds like Herzog Wolfhammer is gona have to wait before CCP makes traveling between systems without using regular gates, a reality.
Mortaliton
Industrialist and Manufacturers Directorate
#26 - 2011-12-12 20:51:33 UTC
Personal Preference for one. As much as i hate WoW i do feel everyone should play it for a little. It is a good game, levvel to max and quit. But what keeps Eve far separate from WoW is it isnt necessarily the same thing every expansion.

WoW- lvl and raid for gear. another expansion rinse and repeat. Your kinda in the same cycle no matter what with pvp as your only other option. 40 vs 40 and no one seems to work together. With 2 main factions with one making up at least 60% of server pop its completely unfair to the other side (90% of the time). Personalty I dont see WoW being this big in a few more years. People do eventually open there eyes.

Eve - With each new expansion comes something new most of the time. New ships, new systems, or even worm holes. A whole new set of rules and new parameters affecting your ship. from 1 vs 1 to 1000 vs 1000. or even 1 vs 20 ( I was the 1 and i pissed off the wrong person many years back lmao) . But what im trying to say is almosty everything even if its the same thing is different. every single time. Even missions with the ninja salvager. Even if odds are unfair it was probably your fault for not studying your enemy more.

From what i see although MMo fatigue will occur Eve will have it at a slower pace and just needs to keep drawing newer players in to off balance the tired vets. Also keep us older players playing as well.

Back on topic.

It hasnt been that long since we had dual core and now were above 8. terabytes from gigabytes. When they need it the tech will be there and for the same price as what were paying now for current. Just remember we arnt limited to what we have now. And currently we can still handle alot.

Fly Safe.

Mort
Steveir
Hagukure
#27 - 2011-12-12 21:05:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Steveir
I have two accounts and my lovely wife just bought me a mac to play eve our 50 inch plasma :)
Phosphorus Palladium
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#28 - 2011-12-12 21:25:46 UTC
David Grogan wrote:
... during the height of the 80k ish pcu...

According to EvE Offline the current record is 63,170.
Qalix
Long Jump.
#29 - 2011-12-12 21:48:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Qalix
If TQ hit 80k people online, Hilmar would sh!t a brick and crack open a bottle of champagne.
Duvida
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2011-12-13 19:57:14 UTC
Akita T wrote:
Edit : partial ninja'd ! Heh.

There was a dev reply not that long ago (can't find it, but it's there on the old forums) where this exact issue was discussed.
If memory serves right, the current architecture can support somewhere up to 190k (or was it 192k? 196k?) simultaneous users (although the performance won't be pretty) as far as the "interface" nodes are concerned, and if for some reason they get enough subscribers to make that a somewhat less than freak occurrence, they can easily upgrade the hardware to handle more.
The problem right now is users per node, or better said, users per single CPU core (at the extreme, one node handles just one solar system, like, say, the Jita node), and increasing that is an ongoing concern, achievable both via software upgrades/tweaks (plenty of data about that in various blogs) and occasional hardware upgrades.
The long-term goal is to have a node be able to use more than just a single CPU core...

P.S. Found it : http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1446750

Thanks for that link.
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#31 - 2011-12-13 21:16:54 UTC
Astrid Stjerna wrote:

Quote:
Will the empires discover new systems for null, low and high sec space?

Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Highly unlikely.

There are hundreds of inaccessible systems in the database. The chances of more opening up are greater than you think. :)

Hay... where did you get that? Hundreds? Got a link?

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Opertone
State War Academy
Caldari State
#32 - 2011-12-13 21:21:13 UTC
Me thinks that somewhere between 60 k and 100 k we get EVE 2.0 - new game engine. Space and physics upgrade.

This post sums up why the 'best' work with DCM inc.

WARP DRIVE makes eve boring

really - add warping align time 300% on gun aggression and eve becomes great again

Scrapyard Bob
EVE University
Ivy League
#33 - 2011-12-13 22:18:31 UTC
Gogela wrote:

Probably talking about the (3) Jove regions up in the north part of the map. (Also known as the CCP/Dev regions.)

Personally, I think it would be interesting to add a few more regions around the edges (blow the edges of the map out another 20-30 LY), then sprinkle in another few regions closer in, and add another 1500 w-space systems. We're a bit overdue for another expansion of space (drone regions back around 2007, w-space back around 2009, nothing since then).
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#34 - 2011-12-13 23:36:37 UTC
Scrapyard Bob wrote:
Gogela wrote:

Probably talking about the (3) Jove regions up in the north part of the map. (Also known as the CCP/Dev regions.)

Personally, I think it would be interesting to add a few more regions around the edges (blow the edges of the map out another 20-30 LY), then sprinkle in another few regions closer in, and add another 1500 w-space systems. We're a bit overdue for another expansion of space (drone regions back around 2007, w-space back around 2009, nothing since then).

I'm not sure I agree. I think the amount of space out there will be somewhat proportional to the number of people on the server. Since our numbers still haven't recovered from monoclegate, I don't forsee new systems in our near future. Moreover, CCP still needs to get around to fixing existing space and making resource distribution less conformal and slowing teleportfleets/logistics, and... you get the idea.

There aren't hundreds of systems in the jove regions though, are there?

Scrapyard Bob
EVE University
Ivy League
#35 - 2011-12-14 00:36:44 UTC
http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/Verite/influence.png

See the regions: A821-A, J7HZ-F, UUA-F4.

(Too lazy to count the dots or query the database dump tonight though.)
mkint
#36 - 2011-12-14 00:42:56 UTC
Gogela wrote:
Scrapyard Bob wrote:
Gogela wrote:

I'm not sure I agree. I think the amount of space out there will be somewhat proportional to the number of people on the server. Since our numbers still haven't recovered from monoclegate, I don't forsee new systems in our near future. Moreover, CCP still needs to get around to fixing existing space and making resource distribution less conformal and slowing teleportfleets/logistics, and... you get the idea.

There aren't hundreds of systems in the jove regions though, are there?

Fixing existing space? I'm not sure CCP even has the balls to admit what's actually wrong with it.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#37 - 2011-12-14 00:56:34 UTC
mkint wrote:

Fixing existing space? I'm not sure CCP even has the balls to admit what's actually wrong with it.

Actually they already have, and conformal resource distribution was on the tip of their tounges as I recall. The old forums has a bunch of threads on the topic in ideas and features, all started by CCP. I actually strongly suspect they plan to get to all of that for the next expansion. I know it might sound crazy given their track record, but they do know what the problems are (pretty much) and have already admitted they need work. I'm for one giving them the benefit of the doubt, because I think they want the game to rock too. I'd have thought Crucible would at least get you to give them a chance!

Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#38 - 2011-12-14 01:03:25 UTC
Scrapyard Bob wrote:
http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/Verite/influence.png
See the regions: A821-A, J7HZ-F, UUA-F4.
(Too lazy to count the dots or query the database dump tonight though.)

230, if memory serves well.
1-Up Mushroom
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#39 - 2011-12-14 01:23:35 UTC
Nothing, nothing ever happens
5 Senses In A Person... 4 Seasons In A Year... 3 Colors In A Stoplight... 2 Poles On The Earth... ONLY 1-UP MUSHROOM!!!  If You Like My Sig, Like Me!   Remember EVE is EVErything!
DelBoy Trades
Trotter Independent Traders.
#40 - 2011-12-14 01:30:53 UTC
There's plenty of room for growth, dozens of barely inhabited nullsec systems that could be filled if people were forced out of empire, WH space, Jove space. It's just High-Sec that'd get even more overcrowded.

Damn nature, you scary!