These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

50000? What happens when we have 60k, 70k or 80k players on at one time?

Author
Duvida
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2011-12-12 18:30:27 UTC
Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but with the recent change in game direction, EVE Online may be well on its way to the stated numbers online at the same time. Will the server handle it? Will space seem too crowded? Will the empires discover new systems for null, low and high sec space?

And on a 'not my business, but really wishing' note, will there be a place for those former CCP folks to become current CCP folks again if they so desire, if things continue to go well enough for these numbers to be seen?
Hauling Hal
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2011-12-12 18:32:11 UTC
Duvida wrote:
Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but with the recent change in game direction, EVE Online may be well on its way to the stated numbers online at the same time. Will the server handle it? Will space seem too crowded? Will the empires discover new systems for null, low and high sec space?

And on a 'not my business, but really wishing' note, will there be a place for those former CCP folks to become current CCP folks again if they so desire, if things continue to go well enough for these numbers to be seen?

Thought we'd had over 65k online before, but I can't remember.
Phoehnix
Fishstick Heavy Industries
#3 - 2011-12-12 18:32:36 UTC
You do know the numbers still havent returned to what they were pre-incarna, 50k is good but nothing we havent seen before
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#4 - 2011-12-12 18:33:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Fury
Duvida wrote:
What happens when we have 60k, 70k or 80k players on at one time?

We all lag out.. together, in a single persistent universe.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

David Grogan
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2011-12-12 18:39:46 UTC
there is still alot of improvements ccp needs to make before alot of the bitter vets return.

also during the height of the 80k ish pcu alot were bots which have now been banned or hunted out of the high sec ice belts by hulkageddon events and later goons & co.

Everytime you buy something that says "made in china" you are helping the rising unemployment in your own country unless you are from china, Buy locally produced goods and help create more jobs.

Commander Spurty
#6 - 2011-12-12 18:42:48 UTC
Worst case scenarios:

- throttling to log in returns (you are #291 in queue..)
- 10% of them are in Jita
- CCP gets more subs and forgets why, spending money on things that don't do anything for their existing customers (again)
- 9000 single alliances start to become the norm
- even -0.1 systems have people living in them

Ok the last one is a stretch :-)

EVE has enough systems to carry the load. Just doesn't have any hard caps on *sides* so will just be more of the same (just longer waits)

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2011-12-12 18:45:25 UTC
David Grogan wrote:
there is still alot of improvements ccp needs to make before alot of the bitter vets return.

also during the height of the 80k ish pcu alot were bots which have now been banned or hunted out of the high sec ice belts by hulkageddon events and later goons & co.

Bitter Vets can just stay gone if you ask me. I have been playing EvE since day one. You may call me Happy Vet.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#8 - 2011-12-12 18:45:48 UTC
Duvida wrote:
Will the server handle it?

One physical server actually only needs to handle everything going on in one solar system. So until 1000v1000 battles become a common occurence, all CCP needs to do is buy more servers using the increased revenue.

Quote:
Will space seem too crowded?

I would say, "space won't feel so empty".

Quote:
Will the empires discover new systems for null, low and high sec space?

Highly unlikely.
Pesky LaRue
Mercatoris
#9 - 2011-12-12 18:52:50 UTC
Phoehnix wrote:
You do know the numbers still havent returned to what they were pre-incarna, 50k is good but nothing we havent seen before

agreed, but given that the game had been spiraling into decline, a return to 50k+ players online for two weeks in a row indicates that the game - and CCP - are headed in the right direction again.
mkint
#10 - 2011-12-12 18:58:21 UTC
what happens when we have more?

CCP gets arrogant, drops the ball, and PCU drops back to 40k or less.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Brujo Loco
Brujeria Teologica
#11 - 2011-12-12 19:03:03 UTC
Vertisce Soritenshi wrote:
David Grogan wrote:

Bitter Vets can just stay gone if you ask me. I have been playing EvE since day one. You may call me Happy Vet.

I consider myself a neo-bitter vet, or better said a nitter vet, depositing eggs in the beaten old horse.

But I approve of your optimism, we need more of that around here, specially when hopes are beginning to dash upwards again. Big smile

Inner Sayings of BrujoLoco: http://eve-files.com/sig/brujoloco

Morganta
The Greater Goon
#12 - 2011-12-12 19:08:14 UTC
I'd be 8 years younger
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#13 - 2011-12-12 19:11:21 UTC
IIRC CCP said that the current TQ hardware should be good for at least 100k.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2011-12-12 19:13:27 UTC
lol..."spiraling into decline".

ex·ag·ger·ate
   [ig-zaj-uh-reyt] Show IPA verb, -at·ed, -at·ing.
verb (used with object)
to magnify beyond the limits of truth; overstate; represent disproportionately: to exaggerate the difficulties of a situation.
to increase or enlarge abnormally: Those shoes exaggerate the size of my feet.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Renan Ruivo
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#15 - 2011-12-12 19:21:12 UTC
Doesn't really matter how many players you have online on the server as a whole, since they are always divided in nodes. If it gets above 100k players online then i'm pretty sure CCP can just as easelly add more hardware power, since the whole thing is quite modular.

The problem is having over 1k players online in a single node doing high lag thing like activating modules, shooting at each other, firing missiles, etc...

The world is a community of idiots doing a series of things until it explodes and we all die.

ArmyOfMe
Teddybears.
#16 - 2011-12-12 19:27:14 UTC
David Grogan wrote:

Chances of seeing most bittervets return is close to 0.
what you need to remember is that a very large portion of us bitter vets miss the old days of eve, and we all know those wont come back(unless pcu keeps droppingLol)

A lot of us are also burned out when it comes to this game. Wich comes from having played this game for close to 10 years.

GM Guard > I must ask you not to use the petition option like this again but i personally would finish the chicken sandwich first so it won´t go to waste. The spaghetti will keep and you can use it the next time you get hungry. Best regards.

Dr Karsun
Coffee Lovers Brewing Club
#17 - 2011-12-12 19:28:30 UTC
Spurty wrote:
Worst case scenarios:

- 10% of them are in Jita

no matter how many capsuleers log in... 10% will always be in jita...

"Have you had your morning coffee?" -> the Coffee Lovers Brewing Club is recruiting! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=363976#post363976

Muad 'dib
State War Academy
Caldari State
#18 - 2011-12-12 19:43:18 UTC
im betting ccp buys more hardware tbh

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

Astrid Stjerna
Sebiestor Tribe
#19 - 2011-12-12 19:51:08 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Duvida wrote:
Will the server handle it?

One physical server actually only needs to handle everything going on in one solar system. So until 1000v1000 battles become a common occurence, all CCP needs to do is buy more servers using the increased revenue.

Actually, Tranquility can already handle a theoretical maximum of 1,585,800 players, assuming newish hardware and the right configuration.

Outline here: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Tranquility

Quote:
Will the empires discover new systems for null, low and high sec space?

Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Highly unlikely.

There are hundreds of inaccessible systems in the database. The chances of more opening up are greater than you think. :)

I can't get rid of my darn signature!  Oh, wait....

Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#20 - 2011-12-12 19:55:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Akita T
Edit : partial ninja'd ! Heh.

There was a dev reply not that long ago (can't find it, but it's there on the old forums) where this exact issue was discussed.
If memory serves right, the current architecture can support somewhere up to 190k (or was it 192k? 196k?) simultaneous users (although the performance won't be pretty) as far as the "interface" nodes are concerned, and if for some reason they get enough subscribers to make that a somewhat less than freak occurrence, they can easily upgrade the hardware to handle more.
The problem right now is users per node, or better said, users per single CPU core (at the extreme, one node handles just one solar system, like, say, the Jita node), and increasing that is an ongoing concern, achievable both via software upgrades/tweaks (plenty of data about that in various blogs) and occasional hardware upgrades.
The long-term goal is to have a node be able to use more than just a single CPU core...

P.S. Found it : http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1446750
123Next pageLast page