These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Miners: Why do you mine?

Author
I Accidentally YourShip
How Now Brown Cow
#161 - 2011-12-07 02:12:59 UTC
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=25764

Here, read Suki Okiwana's posts. They outline the efficiency of many contentious topics for miners, including convincing me that jetcan mining is indeed the smarter option than GSCs or using a hauling alt that just sits there.
Jack Traynor
Doomheim
#162 - 2011-12-07 02:27:23 UTC
Until people realize that not everyone gets a nut over blowing up other people's ships I think the OP's question is moot.

Sitting on a gate or station for hours on end doing nothing is the height of boredom to me. Low-sec runs hunting for targets only to run when faced with a blob is a complete waste of time to me. Firing up the lazors on a mining boat with fleeties on TS, talking **** about anything that makes me forget my crap day is worth it to me.

Until you understand that you'll never "get it".
I Accidentally YourShip
How Now Brown Cow
#163 - 2011-12-07 02:36:17 UTC  |  Edited by: I Accidentally YourShip
Jack Traynor wrote:
Until people realize that not everyone gets a nut over blowing up other people's ships I think the OP's question is moot.

Sitting on a gate or station for hours on end doing nothing is the height of boredom to me. Low-sec runs hunting for targets only to run when faced with a blob is a complete waste of time to me. Firing up the lazors on a mining boat with fleeties on TS, talking **** about anything that makes me forget my crap day is worth it to me.

Why does this post seem familiar?

Edit: Also my favourite forum of stress relief is filling a mining barge with hybrid charges, preferably of the heated plasma through a cyclotron variety. There just isn't any explosion quite like an exhumer explosion.
Anshio Tamark
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#164 - 2011-12-07 09:03:40 UTC
I Accidentally YourShip wrote:
Industrialists who mine their own minerals "because it's free" need not reply. Incompetence is not a viewpoint.

I don't think you think Incompetence means what I know it means. Being incompetent has nothing to do with whether you go and get pick up some rocks yourself or buy them on the market. Being incompetent means that you simply can't do something properly. If you're asked to fly an Interceptor, but don't have any racial frigate-skills at level 5, then you are an incompetent Interceptor-pilot, but not necessarily a bad PVP'er when flying other ship-types. That is how incompetence works. It's not just "I don't want to pay excessive prices for some rocks, so I just go mine them myself". That's just being reasonable. Why waste own ISK on some rocks, if you can go get the amount you need in almost no time anyway? Personally, I only ever buy Zydrine and Megacyte, and that's only if I have no drone compounds I can refine for that.

So... It seems you're just trying to critizise those manufacturers who don't want to buy your ore.
I Accidentally YourShip
How Now Brown Cow
#165 - 2011-12-07 09:15:45 UTC  |  Edited by: I Accidentally YourShip
Anshio Tamark wrote:
Industrialists who mine their own minerals "because it's free" need not reply. Incompetence is not a viewpoint.

I don't think you think Incompetence means what I know it means. Being incompetent has nothing to do with whether you go and get pick up some rocks yourself or buy them on the market. Being incompetent means that you simply can't do something properly. If you're asked to fly an Interceptor, but don't have any racial frigate-skills at level 5, then you are an incompetent Interceptor-pilot, but not necessarily a bad PVP'er when flying other ship-types. That is how incompetence works. It's not just "I don't want to pay excessive prices for some rocks, so I just go mine them myself". That's just being reasonable. Why waste own ISK on some rocks, if you can go get the amount you need in almost no time anyway? Personally, I only ever buy Zydrine and Megacyte, and that's only if I have no drone compounds I can refine for that.

So... It seems you're just trying to critizise those manufacturers who don't want to buy your ore.

I'm fully aware of the definition of incompetence but it seems that you are not and with your limited information have felt the need to correct me.

1. not competent; lacking qualification or ability; incapable: an incompetent candidate.
2. characterized by or showing incompetence: His incompetent acting ruined the play.
3. Law .
a. being unable or legally unqualified to perform specified acts or to be held legally responsible for such acts.
b. inadmissible, as evidence.
4. an incompetent person; a mentally deficient person.
5. Law . a person lacking power to act with legal effectiveness.

As the definition demonstrates, the inability to do something properly is only a small part of the definition of incompetent. It ranges from specific inabilities to general inability, such as intellect. The people whom I refer to are incompetent, they lack the required ability comprehend that the minerals they mine aren't free.

The people who understand this fact but still mine because they feel like it are not incompetent, they are a myriad of other things which includes headstrong, stupid and bored, though not all apply to every person in this category.

So please, spare me your convoluted attempt to define incompetence. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Edit: Lacking a contraction.
Berluth Luthian
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#166 - 2011-12-07 13:07:35 UTC
I'm curious how many people mine the roids in missions? This would kind of bring together the missioners and the miners at least.
Tasiv Deka
End-of-Line
#167 - 2011-12-11 10:07:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Tasiv Deka
Berluth Luthian wrote:
I'm curious how many people mine the roids in missions? This would kind of bring together the missioners and the miners at least.

if its a decent field or im waiting for the rats to respawn (farming a decent misson) i usually fill up a can or two

back when a couple of my friends and i were actually serious about starting our own corp i was considering doing that as a good way to safely can mine ( we were based in a busy system at first) but then well we all became burnt out on our respective activities (i started doing lvl 1s in a frig just as entertainment)

now to answer the OP i mine now mostly when waiting for friends to log on, when i notice that a particular mineral is rising in value or as i noted above waiting to refarm a misson site( now that i think about it that misson site cleanup rokh fit i worked out wasnt half bad)

Edit: realized that didnt say why i "liked" it well it is fun to warp into a busy belt in a combat ship( Battleship or even a "Gank" ship) Scream in local "IMGONNASTOPYOUALLFROMGETTINGTHESEMINERALS" and then when people start panicking,whining,whatever just start mining and then go "what you thought i was going to blow you up"

Oh, Do go on... no seriously ive got nothing better to do then listen to all the petty arguments and feeble trolling attempts... 

The sad thing is i'm not sure if i'm telling the truth.

Boris Ginnungagap
Doomheim
#168 - 2011-12-11 12:12:09 UTC
Jack Traynor wrote:
Firing up the lazors on a mining boat with fleeties on TS, talking **** about anything that makes me forget my crap day is worth it to me.

This is pretty much why I play EVE.
Nullbeard Rager
Doomheim
#169 - 2011-12-12 03:19:59 UTC
servalaan wrote:

My motivation, you small-minded fool, blah blah blah more self satisfying inane drivel to once again appear superior to others

Thank you, I can now pigeon hole you in a box marked f'kin moron.
-1 for being a ****

This.

Field of Trolls:  "If you chum it, they will come."

Gumby Ambraelle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#170 - 2011-12-12 12:26:09 UTC
As a sister post to my Missioners: What is your goal? , miners, why do you do what you do? The people who actually sit and mine, not botters. I dabbled with mining myself but it was usually a spur of the moment thing for a period of 3-4 hours early morning due to lack of sleep.

What makes mining interesting enough to you that you do it days and weeks on end? Large scale miners who operate multiple accounts feel free to chime in as well. Even operating 6 hulks and an orca, you are still doing the same tedious task of scan rocks, target rocks, shoot rocks, just more of it to the point where this once low attention task requires more attention due to the volume of work that needs to be done. Is this something you enjoy doing concurrently while watching a movie, or reading a book? If so, why not just enjoy the movie or book and drop EVE from the equation? Saves you 15 bucks a month. What is the draw in doing this menial task even if it is at the same time as something more interesting?

Again, as stated in the Missioners post, this is not a flame / troll / bait of miners. Even though my viewpoint is that it is a waste of time, this is not someone else's viewpoint, this is not someone else's opinion. I am curious as to why this entertains you, the miner.

I mine for a couple of reasons, the first is i enjoy the process of flying what I built. I want ot go thru the process of collecting the ore, refining it, acquiring the BPC, making the ship...repeatin the process for the next bigger ship....
My primary mining alt started in a newb ship, got an iteron running intro missions, built an iteron III from mining proceeds and has just completed the process and built a retreiver. Proceeds from this ship will go into building a hulk and that into building an ORCA... and he will build backups for each as he goes along because they will go BOOM at some point. (those silly mining gankers...P

I could mission and buy all this but I enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that I did the work and completed the tasks to be able to fly that pretty ship that some one one day is going to blow up Smile

The second reason is I can do alot of hi-sec mining mostly afk or while engaging in PVE/PVP with an alt. so while I am earning isk from a mission I am also earning ISK from mining...which supports my one alt the keeps getting his ships blown up.. Oops
(It is what happens to PVP noobs, I will get better at this PVP stuff with more experience)

In eve there is no right or wrong answer...I enjoy industry and mining as well as mission and PVP, and with a couple of alts I can be doing almost all of this at the same time...

Velicitia
XS Tech
#171 - 2011-12-12 14:14:46 UTC
Tasiv Deka wrote:

Edit: realized that didnt say why i "liked" it well it is fun to warp into a busy belt in a combat ship( Battleship or even a "Gank" ship) Scream in local "IMGONNASTOPYOUALLFROMGETTINGTHESEMINERALS" and then when people start panicking,whining,whatever just start mining and then go "what you thought i was going to blow you up"

Shocked
Lol
+1 to you sir

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Tasiv Deka
End-of-Line
#172 - 2011-12-12 14:25:11 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
Tasiv Deka wrote:

Shocked
Lol
+1 to you sir

see everyone thinks ganking is the best way to get tears personally i prefer messing with their heads and this upcoming Hulkageddon i full on plan to mine in a Brutix atleast once

Oh, Do go on... no seriously ive got nothing better to do then listen to all the petty arguments and feeble trolling attempts... 

The sad thing is i'm not sure if i'm telling the truth.

Usurpine
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#173 - 2011-12-12 15:53:24 UTC
In our system we have lots of arkonor and hidden belts full with mercoxit and abc ore, its miners wet dream. We most of the time have a roqual burning heavy water and now tech II links to give maximum boosts with expensive implants in my head.

So having 5 hulks plus a roqual going mining is never boring to me and every evening i am mining i make quite good isk. Also we are a good team in our corp helping each other and mining gives us lots of time to talk about every aspect of eve.

All this is not possible with roamings or big fleet CTAs. I personally dont like killboards or shoot noobs at gates, this is boring to me.

Then we take the ore, refine it in our own station and we start building capital ships from it and sell the overspill of zydrine and morphite in jita.

So imho mining rocks, its the base of the chain of production, making ships and other items. I like it. Not always and every day, but often. Its fun. Someone has to build and we are doing it.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#174 - 2011-12-12 22:21:21 UTC
General Trajan wrote:
if nobody or no bot ever mined in this game, then were would ships come from?

in fact you should do a protest to never fly another ship that was made by either a miner, missioner or a botter. that will show those carebears!

because mining is the only significant source of minerals in the game lol

pond scum

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Henry Haphorn
Killer Yankee
#175 - 2011-12-13 00:11:42 UTC
I tried missioning at first, but then decided to go for mining for several reasons.

1. Unlike missions, mining ops don't pump in ISK into the economy. Sure, they make up for it by pumping minerals into the market, but minerals can be lost just as quick as ISK when more ships are destroyed. Which takes me to my next point.

2. I love Hulkageddon. It makes mining all the more fun because I have to be on constant alert. Even before/after the event, career gankers are always on the prowl and therefore I keep a close eye out... always.

3. I like making things, so manufacturing ships and modules using minerals I mined for makes it feel that much more satisfying.

4. I like putting up competing sell orders of ships and mods that I built because I know there are other players doing the same thing and we are competing for the ISK of potential buyers.

5. I like the scenery.

Adapt or Die

Farrina
Doomheim
#176 - 2011-12-13 17:29:51 UTC
I enjoy it more than PvP.
Kyle Valentine
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#177 - 2011-12-13 22:11:13 UTC
All the time you spent in a video game is lost. In what activity you spent it is only a detail.
But i'm more a scavenger than a miner. And I make only weapons, because I love the idea of people killing each others with my tools.
Intar Medris
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#178 - 2011-12-14 02:22:21 UTC
I mine as means to make ISK. Right now I am in High sec. In few months I will be camped out in a WH makin in a hour what I do in 2 days. I have a Hauling/Booster alt with me at all times when mining. In 20 mins his cargo hold is full and he warps back to the station with 2 million ISK worth of ore. I just started fly my Retriver today, and have already started turning a profit. Sure it's only 15 mil a day, but when I take the trip to Jita on sunday that amounts to 105 mil a week. I mine only one ore type too. With my alt I stay in belt constantly mining for 4-5 hours before I cherry picked the belt. In 30 days when I am flying a Hulk those numbers will increase. I will be able to cherry pick a whole system in a few hours. In your average system with 4 belts that 60 mil a day. Then throw in the Orca my alt will be flying in a couple months I will be able to clear a belt belt by myself in 2-3 hours. Mining simply is the most profitable activity in EVE. Traders can lose money and need a decent chunk of ISK to make it work right and tap into differnt areas of the market. The only way you money as a miner is if some asshat blows up your ship. If it is a cheap barge no problem, but if it is a properly fit Hulk it will cost you easily 300 mil to replace. People say this game could make without miners, but they wroung. Sure you reprocess drone poop, and mission loot but it will take much more time to aquire the minerals.

I try to be nice and mind my business just shooting lasers at rocks. There is just way too many asshats in New Eden for that to happen.

Rico Lah
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#179 - 2011-12-23 09:07:47 UTC
I'm one of those weirdos who like to hang out in "HELP" and answer questions. Mining is a fairly(Not as much any more...) relaxing way to earn iskies and still be active on that channel.
Jarnis McPieksu
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#180 - 2011-12-23 09:20:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Jarnis McPieksu
I don't care why you mine. Just please mine more. Trit, Mex, Pyer... all going up far too fast, cutting into my manufacturing profits and forcing me to switch between products as some become outright unviable to manufacture... Cry

I mean... look at this

http://ore.cerlestes.de/index.html#site:trend

I like when those graphs are like Zydrine. I don't like what I see at the low ends.