These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Lowsec gates don't shoot frigs/destroyers

Author
Syrias Bizniz
some random local shitlords
#21 - 2014-09-30 08:06:53 UTC
shocking revelation:

A Frigate, that has *some* buffer tank, will NOT get insta popped at a gate.
Also, Crime-Watch mechanics already did a lot for frigates in lowsec. If you can't do it, then it is because you lack the player-skill required to pull it off. And maybe a friend.
Jur Tissant
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2014-09-30 12:53:19 UTC
It's low-sec, not null-sec. Hence there is still some residual "sec" and this takes the form of gate guns.

Only NPC pirates are immune to gate guns. Probably because the factions feel bad for them.
Tabyll Altol
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2014-09-30 13:10:42 UTC
Ines Tegator wrote:
So, make lowsec like nullsec.

No. Just go to nullsec.

/sign
Iain Cariaba
#24 - 2014-09-30 13:18:09 UTC
God's Apples wrote:
This is possibly the worst idea ever proposed.

You should re-read pretty much any of DrysonBennington's ideas, though this does rank up there.
Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2014-09-30 13:31:34 UTC
So 5 cruisers on gate is bad, but 50 frigates is okay? Is that what your saying?
Nalha Saldana
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2014-09-30 13:38:29 UTC
I'd rather see super dangerous gate guns, that would move the pvp to space where actual activities are run.
Ofc you can still use wardecs to camp specific people or shoot pirates at gates all day but I find it really silly that the empires cant protect their own damn gates.
Steppa Musana
Doomheim
#27 - 2014-09-30 13:47:41 UTC
Absofuckinglutely not. Lowsec gates being harder to get through would only decrease PVE activity. Lowsec needs more incentives to PVE, not loss.

Hey guys.

Leoric Firesword
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#28 - 2014-09-30 14:10:55 UTC
Seraph IX Basarab wrote:
Suggest that a solo frig can camp a lowsec gate and everyone loses their mind...Roll

Didn't know the industrialist union was so strong here.

nope, bad idea is just bad.
Seraph IX Basarab
Outer Path
Seraphim Division
#29 - 2014-09-30 14:25:22 UTC
so bad idea because someone's going to put 100+ frigs on lowsec gates now...as opposed to 100 AHACS? You can put 100 anything, what difference it makes to the discussion i'm not sure.

The idea provides variation for the gate camp. Right now you have AHAC gangs for the most part. If other ships became viable you would see different set ups rather than gate clear or impassable AHAC gang.
Lich Reaper
Baba Yagas
The Initiative.
#30 - 2014-09-30 15:01:48 UTC
Seraph,

Not sure why you feel that frigates and destroyers need immunity from gate guns in low sec, when there are no gate guns in nullsec already. People are succesfully solo/small-ganging with frigates and destroyers in nullsec (moreso NPC than sov-null, however). You also have the option of doing that in FW space, where you can find relatively good fights against same-size hulls.

So imagine being in lowsec in a frig/destroyer gang, immune to gate guns... why fly any other ship at all then, if you want nullsec mechanics without being in nullsec?

I don't feel this is a useful change in any way. But I've been victim to gatecamping frigate gangs who use logi as well and survive quite handily. As for solo, nullsec or FW space is your best bet!
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#31 - 2014-09-30 15:25:15 UTC
Throwaway insta trasher alt gatecamp would be such a great addition to this game...
Austrene Kanenald
Doomheim
#32 - 2014-09-30 15:31:32 UTC
Lich Reaper wrote:
Seraph,

Not sure why you feel that frigates and destroyers need immunity from gate guns in low sec, when there are no gate guns in nullsec already. People are succesfully solo/small-ganging with frigates and destroyers in nullsec (moreso NPC than sov-null, however). You also have the option of doing that in FW space, where you can find relatively good fights against same-size hulls.

So imagine being in lowsec in a frig/destroyer gang, immune to gate guns... why fly any other ship at all then, if you want nullsec mechanics without being in nullsec?

I don't feel this is a useful change in any way. But I've been victim to gatecamping frigate gangs who use logi as well and survive quite handily. As for solo, nullsec or FW space is your best bet!

I live in nullsec and see gate amps all the fkin time. Ranging from 1 dictor and a ceptor to full blown 50 man gate camps with full logi, ewar and DPS.
Seraph IX Basarab
Outer Path
Seraphim Division
#33 - 2014-09-30 16:47:06 UTC
Lich Reaper wrote:
Seraph,

I know what one can do in 0.0. It's not even really about "camping" it's more about flying through lowsec with a frig, seeing a Moa or Zealot fly through and not being able to engage it. The gate gun mechanics encourage me to up my ship, up the number of people I camp with and gives zero chance for the lone ship jumping through to win any fight. At least of frigs had gate gun immunity, the defending party could have a chance to actually win.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#34 - 2014-09-30 16:53:12 UTC
I'm a pirate and even I do not agree with this idea.

At the moment if you wish to use ceptors etc at a gate, it requires team work, choices and forethought. It should remain this way and limit their use at gates.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Seraph IX Basarab
Outer Path
Seraphim Division
#35 - 2014-09-30 17:58:18 UTC
I don't even really care for gate camping. I roam through ls in a frig and I run across bigger ships that refuse to engage and only travel gate to gate. And I sit there and ask myself why is this allowed? This isn't content.
Toriessian
Helion Production Labs
Independent Operators Consortium
#36 - 2014-09-30 18:05:17 UTC
Seraph IX Basarab wrote:

I know what one can do in 0.0. It's not even really about "camping" it's more about flying through lowsec with a frig, seeing a Moa or Zealot fly through and not being able to engage it. The gate gun mechanics encourage me to up my ship, up the number of people I camp with and gives zero chance for the lone ship jumping through to win any fight. At least of frigs had gate gun immunity, the defending party could have a chance to actually win.

The reason I actually don't support immunity is because you indirectly make travel much more dangerous for ships such as cloaky haulers. Right now there is little (smart camps still have them) threat from interceptors on gates. Immune to gate gun interceptors on gates would be overpowered in LS IMO.

Fairer would be adjusting the gate guns so speed/transversal/sig matter

Every day I'm wafflin!

Omega Crendraven
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#37 - 2014-09-30 18:11:10 UTC
You have developed worse autism levels than GevlonGoblin and Jestertrek combined
Duchess Starbuckington
Doomheim
#38 - 2014-09-30 18:24:09 UTC
The only people who'd truly benefit from this are the ones who park 50 ships on a gate and pad their killboards.

No.
Seraph IX Basarab
Outer Path
Seraphim Division
#39 - 2014-09-30 18:26:00 UTC
Duchess Starbuckington wrote:
The only people who'd truly benefit from this are the ones who park 50 ships on a gate and pad their killboards.

No.

Because doing that in frigs would be worse than putting 50 AHACS on gate is now.
Patty Loveless
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#40 - 2014-09-30 18:35:00 UTC
God's Apples wrote:
This is possibly the worst idea ever proposed.

Did you see this? https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=376332