These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

5 advices every new guy should follow.

First post
Author
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#41 - 2014-09-28 05:30:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Veers Belvar
1. Trust no one until such trust is earned. 99% of the people you will meet are out to scam/kill you.

2. Always be aware of your surroundings and be checking local chat regularly.

3. Never listen to the jokers who tell you "you can't fly ship X until you have Y SP."

4. Learn to be self sufficient and not need to rely on others.

5. Never let the nasty insults get you down. Always remember that it's just a game and the goal is to have fun.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#42 - 2014-09-28 07:09:04 UTC
1) DESTROY!
2) EXPLOSIONS!
3) I forgot where I was going with this
4) Be Cool
5) just a game dude

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Kalishka Ashkulf
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#43 - 2014-09-28 08:44:13 UTC
1) Try everything at least once, even if it sounds boring before you try it
2) Use the Rookie Channel and listen to the advice given
3) Despite 2) don't listen to people who say "don't go into low/null, you'll die in seconds". Jump in the deep end! If you do get blown up in seconds, you're already ahead of the curve.
4) Do the tutorials. Honestly, they give a bite size overview of what the game offers, as well as a heap of free stuff.
5) Have fun and make friends (that you can trust). If someone blows you up, ask them politely for advice on how you could do better next time.

Why, thank you, Thing!

Valkin Mordirc
#44 - 2014-09-28 08:52:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Valkin Mordirc
Quote:
3. Never listen to the jokers who tell you "you can't fly ship X until you have Y SP."

Horrible advice, Sure I can fly a Tempest, but a Blaster fitted Tempest is not going to live to expections.

Also the actual advice is, there a difference between be able to fly a ship, and a difference when you can pilot a ship.

IE, the meaning being, A lv 2 Gal Battleship, with lvl 3 support skills, with meta 4 guns and meta 4 reps. Will be destroyed regularly and with no remorse.

Where as you will live for longer if you train your skills to get 85-100% effectiveness from a ship. You don't need to be perfect but you need skills to make it work effectively.

1. Only put complete trust people you know irl,

2. SP doesn't really matter if you have friends, 100 Skiffs make for a hell of a fleet.

3. Learn to defend yourself in EVE, if you can't you will lose it. If you put all your time into mining, don't complain when you can't fight back.

4. EvE is a political game, friends are useful, and when you make friends you will naturally make enemies.

5. If you are bored, make the content rather than waiting for it to come to you,
#DeleteTheWeak
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#45 - 2014-09-28 09:34:39 UTC
Valkin Mordirc wrote:
Quote:

Horrible advice, Sure I can fly a Tempest, but a Blaster fitted Tempest is not going to live to expections.

Also the actual advice is, there a difference between be able to fly a ship, and a difference when you can pilot a ship.

IE, the meaning being, A lv 2 Gal Battleship, with lvl 3 support skills, with meta 4 guns and meta 4 reps. Will be destroyed regularly and with no remorse.

Where as you will live for longer if you train your skills to get 85-100% effectiveness from a ship. You don't need to be perfect but you need skills to make it work effectively.

1. Only put complete trust people you know irl,

2. SP doesn't really matter if you have friends, 100 Skiffs make for a hell of a fleet.

3. Learn to defend yourself in EVE, if you can't you will lose it. If you put all your time into mining, don't complain when you can't fight back.

4. EvE is a political game, friends are useful, and when you make friends you will naturally make enemies.

5. If you are bored, make the content rather than waiting for it to come to you,

Well, I'm sorry you don't like my advice....not that I really care....the most enjoyable time I had in the game as a new player was trying to do Blockade L3 as a week old player in a Cane and messing up all the triggers. It was hellish, and I lost loads of isk on frequent repairs, but that's how you learn to play the game. Not by hiding in a cocoon until you are at 85% effectiveness.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#46 - 2014-09-28 09:39:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Veers Belvar wrote:

Well, I'm sorry you don't like my advice....not that I really care....the most enjoyable time I had in the game as a new player was trying to do Blockade L3 as a week old player in a Cane and messing up all the triggers. It was hellish, and I lost loads of isk on frequent repairs, but that's how you learn to play the game. Not by hiding in a cocoon until you are at 85% effectiveness.

actually thers a good point there, i did the same with the blocade L4 (gurristas) in a terribly fit apocalypse

dont get me wrong now , it was a bad idea and terrible advice but i had fun at the time.
Valkin Mordirc
#47 - 2014-09-28 10:10:59 UTC
I'm not saying don't fly something you can't use at 100%. I also like to fly around in ships I can't really use. Nor did I suggest for you not to hid in a cocoon. However don't expect to succeed with them. Nor does the advice I gave say not to fly a ship you want to fly. Just that you won't be able to use a ship to it's full potential you should throw it into a grind unnecessarily.

All I'm saying to you don't train the skills you need for a ship, you're going to lose it people who have, or in situations you shouldn't have if you had taken to the time to tech 2 your guns, rather than jumping all over the skillboard.
#DeleteTheWeak
Marsha Mallow
#48 - 2014-09-28 10:50:38 UTC
Valkin Mordirc wrote:

This depends largely on what you are doing and how competent you are. Level 2 BS might be unwise for mission running or solo/small gang PVP, but the difference isn't that great from level 4 to level 5.

If you're doing large scale combat, unless the enemy FC takes the time to go through and look at the age of everyone on field before they start calling primaries, whether you have t2 guns is largely irrelevant. You may do slightly less damage with slightly less range and not be able to catch enough reps to stay alive if you are primaried. So what? Losing ships early on is more about player error than skills/fittings, and teaches people the basics of gameplay.

Valkin Mordirc wrote:
Just that you won't be able to use a ship to it's full potential you should throw it into a grind unnecessarily.

All I'm saying to you don't train the skills you need for a ship, you're going to lose it people who have, or in situations you shouldn't have if you had taken to the time to tech 2 your guns, rather than jumping all over the skillboard.

It's a fair point, and obviously a bit of common sense should be applied. Just don't forget this argument is also made by people who refuse to engage in PVP because they see the skilltraining as an obstacle, or argue they are never going to be able to compete with older players.

'Throwing ships into the grind' is necessary for some of us, whether we can use them to their full potential or not.

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Jace Sarice
#49 - 2014-09-28 13:04:04 UTC
What is this 'having fun' nonsense? You are all fired.
KnowUsByTheDead
Sunlight...Through The Blight.
#50 - 2014-09-28 16:22:27 UTC  |  Edited by: KnowUsByTheDead
1. Don't trust anyone but me. I merely require full faith for my loyalty. Blink

*Side note: While "don't trust anyone" is an axiom that goes back to the beginning...it should be replaced with...don't trust anyone with your isk, assets, and skillpoints. Trust is necessary for not only empires to grow (and crumble), but also for fleets, and believe it or not...for the health of the game and discourse. Don't listen to naysayers above me.

2. Gonna mine in highsec? Buy a permit. And tank your barge. And align to your dump spot. And have off-grid safespots in-line with your alignment. And tank your Orca. And do not take your Orca to the belt. Or your freighter. All of these things will increase "little newbie worker bee" survivability. And if you do choose to do the exact opposite, take your loss like a man, so you don't end up a "lolmail" or on Minerbumping. Wouldn't want you to be the next "victim" of "harassment" because some people don't understand...........

3. It's just space pixels. No matter how much time you put into it. Or effort. It's is just lines of code. Do not let it jar you. Only once was I "shaken" by having non-consensual PvP thrown in my face. And I was merely shocked, left floating in my pod in space.

15 minutes of shock and a mistake learned = Alright, Alright, Alright. (100m given by the "ganker," words of encouragement, and knowledge.)

Local sperge and the same mistake repeated 30 times in a row = tears to sustain someone like myself.

4. Do not log into Teamspeak. If you do, make sure to stealth record with at least Audacity. Never know these days whether you will get shown the door for logging into TS.

5. Have fun. While the cornerstones of this game are spaceship violence, political and financial intrigue, and imperialism........please, please, please.........do not fall into the trap that isk somehow equates to fun per hour. Sure it lubricates the process of getting to the "fun," it is no means the "cornerstone" of EVE.

Have a nice day.

Big smileCoolPirate

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#51 - 2014-09-28 22:10:28 UTC
I have removed some rule breaking posts and those quoting them. As always I let some edge cases stay.
Please people, keep it on topic and above all civil!

The Rules:
5. Trolling is prohibited.

Trolling is a defined as a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting other players in an attempt to incite retaliation or an emotional response. Posts of this nature are disruptive, often abusive and do not contribute to the sense of community that CCP promote.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Trevor Dalech
Nobody in Local
Deepwater Hooligans
#52 - 2014-09-29 05:06:16 UTC
1) do all the tutorials / career missions, even if you think that career is nothing for you.
2) buy every skill book under 100k that you are able to train, train this skill to 1 (later to 2 or 3) this will allow you to fit most mods and experiment.
3) know the rules of EVE:
a) don't fly what you can't afford to lose
b) bigger is not better
c) trust no one
d) if it sounds to good to be true, it's a scam
etc...
4) in a game where you can trust no one, having people you can trust is invaluable. Find them, join their corp.
5) don't get stuck in a single role. Experiment, blow something up, get blown up, make something, talk to people, mine (just so you know to never do that again...) but most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!
The Honest Abe
Rocket-Propelled Laser Sharks
#53 - 2014-09-29 09:48:49 UTC
Kalishka Ashkulf wrote:
3) Despite 2) don't listen to people who say "don't go into low/null, you'll die in seconds". Jump in the deep end! If you do get blown up in seconds, you're already ahead of the curve.

Well, I dived in the null after small talk with one guy who explained to me that i've literally got nothing to lose. Blew up 3 impairors with pods, learned 5 things out of that
1)Null is mostly empty
2)Even when it's not empty, many people might be afk, scared and cloaked or on stations should there be any.
3)Players being "not quite good" as their ships in catching people.
4)Sane people in null use the cheapest stuff that do things right.
5)If you want to go far enough, use the faction ammo.
That way, it was 5 advices inside this one for me.
Vyl Vit
#54 - 2014-09-29 09:54:58 UTC
I would, but I don't know what "advices" are. You see. There is really no such word. I know you meant to say something here, but I'm not about to imagine what that might be. Perhaps if you rephrased your question in English this time, there could be an answer.

Paradise is like where you are right now, only much, much better.

Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#55 - 2014-09-29 10:31:31 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Play against the character not the person sitting at the keyboard.

Grrr GOONS

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Aiyshimin
Shiva Furnace
#56 - 2014-09-29 11:55:43 UTC
1) leave the NPC corp
2) leave hisec
3) learn solo pvp
4) never use battleclinic fits
5) if it moves, shoot it until it stops moving

Tamazaki
Doomheim
#57 - 2014-09-29 12:55:02 UTC
1) Don't bother trying to earn enough for a PLEX before your trial runs out. I see newbies asking about this all the time. It's technically possible but not worth the time invested if you're completely new to the game.

2) Do whatever you enjoy, and ignore people who tell you you have to play the game a certain way in order to have the most fun.

3) Ignore the fact my last two advices are slightly contradictory.

4) Don't accept any contracts posted in local chat.

5) Only use legitimate ISK doubling services.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#58 - 2014-09-29 13:04:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
1. Don't feed your Fedos after midnight, don't expose them to bright lights and whatever you do, never ever get them wet.

2. Exoctic dancers are not 'those kinds of women'.

3. 'The Big Red Button' is not a real nuclear deterrent.

4. Announcing your presence in local with all caps and a tomato reference is a great way to make friends

5. That door will never open, no matter how hard you try.

BONUS ROUND

6. Don't listen to Veers. Learning from Veers about EVE is the intellectual equivalent of letting a chimpanzee refuel race cars.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Austrene Kanenald
Doomheim
#59 - 2014-09-29 17:03:58 UTC
Tippia wrote:
If someone says “don't do X before you have Y”, punch them in the throat so they stop saying things — it's far kinder than they deserve, but hey, sometimes you just have to be generous.

Also, see sig.

Don't fly Executioners before you have amarr frigate I. Come on, punch me!
Also, I like your skill plan.
Toshiro Hasegawa
A Blessed Bean
Pandemic Horde
#60 - 2014-09-29 17:39:13 UTC
dont fly what you cant afford to lose

join a corp

dont trust anyone you dont already know in RL 100%, yet, do not fall into the self made trap of trusting no one at all.

dont let anyone else tell you want you should and should not want to do. (you want to mine .. then mine)

have fun its a game

History is the study of change.