These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Ways E.v.E. Has Helped You IRL

Author
Priscilla Project
Doomheim
#41 - 2014-09-27 19:26:31 UTC
Jim Era wrote:
Priscilla Project wrote:
Woah, Jim Era!
Haven't seen you in a while!

You just didn't know where to look.

Cool

lol wat :D
  • All incoming connection attempts are being blocked. If you want to speak to me you will find me either in Hek local, you can create a contract or make a thread about it in General Discussions. I will call you back. -
Really Hot Guy
Doomheim
#42 - 2014-09-27 19:31:19 UTC
Currently it's helping me to be patient, and refrain from rage filled outbursts concerning frequent, unscheduled game outages.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#43 - 2014-09-27 22:25:38 UTC
There is that analogy about time management, where first you fill a jar with rocks, then sand, then water. EVE has been that water, but it can scale to act as the sand.

The notable thing about EVE is the game client and the forums are interchangeable as content generators.

By always being there for me, it has also kept me from countless bad ideas. So I guess it is a neutral idea.

Please do something about client drops, CCP. I hate being without a reason to not do homework.
Hiply Rustic
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2014-09-27 23:53:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Hiply Rustic
Thomas Hurt wrote:
I've always wondered if there were E.v.E. Capsuleers who have taken lessons learned in the game and applied them successfully to their real lives in some way or another. I personally haven't done such a thing, but I have an interesting story of a guy I played with who did. Manu Bennet (yes, like the actor) was in a short-lived FW corp I ran, and wanted to teach his kid about E.v.E. This kid was probably 6 or 7, and honestly had no place flying with the intellectual titans and tactical minds that dominate the game. My buddy disagreed, and set this kid up with a decently-skilled character and a Rattlesnake to run missions with.

The kid seemed to enjoy it, and my friend ended up inviting his son to his corp to run missions with him. In one such mission, my friend AWOXed his own child and destroyed his officer-fit Rattlesnake. Immediately after he podded him, Manu told him "This is what the world is like. Never forget this feeling." The kid quit E.v.E. immediately after that, but I'm guessing he'll enter the 4th grade with a new skepticism that will better allow him to navigate the perils of this world.

Anyways, regale us with your own stories!

This is likely a father who will, on his deathbed, wonder why ...

"When ya comin' home, son?"

"I don't know when...but we'll get together then, dad. We're gonna have a good time then."

...happened.

Ralph King-Griffin wrote: "Eve deliberately excludes the stupid and the weak willied." EvE: Only the strong-willied need apply.

Hiply Rustic
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2014-09-27 23:58:38 UTC
Jim Era wrote:
Ursula Thrace wrote:

wow, what a crappy thing to do to your own child. i'm not a parent, but i can think of a thousand other ways to teach your child the way the world (and i mean people) really works.

this person is what we call a psychopath and deserves nothing less than....well, ya know. yes, i mean that exactly.

Why would you label someone as a psychopath just because they are playing a game and lured someone to their death according to the games design?

You need to take a few steps back and realize that reality isn't inside a screen :I

And you need to realize that this was a father doing this to his pre-teen son to "teach him a lesson" after he set the kid up in the game to begin with. If you think this was a good way to go about doing that, I feel sorry for whatever children you may bring into the world.

I'm betting the kid did learn a couple of things though:

"My dad, what an asshat"

"Never trust my dad"

Ralph King-Griffin wrote: "Eve deliberately excludes the stupid and the weak willied." EvE: Only the strong-willied need apply.

Jean Luc Lemmont
Carebears on Fire
Viral Society
#46 - 2014-09-28 00:27:14 UTC
What have I learned from Eve?

1. It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.
2. Read contracts at least three times.
3. Read contracts again after that.
4. People will take advantage of stupidity.
5. Darwinism doesn't just apply to genetics.
6. The creativity of people when it comes to naming characters seems pretty limited in most cases. I weep for any children that DARTH_XXX_13456_XXX might have.

But I think the greatest lesson I have learned is this:

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Will I get banned for boxing!?!?!

This thread has degenerated to the point it's become like two bald men fighting over a comb. -- Doc Fury

It's bonuses, not boni, you cretins.

Mike Adoulin
Happys Happy Hamster Hunting Club
#47 - 2014-09-28 09:08:51 UTC
Jean Luc Lemmont wrote:
What have I learned from Eve?
Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Have a like.

What has EVE taught me?

It taught me........

THIS.

Bear

Everything in EVE is a trap.

And if it isn't, it's your job to make it a trap...:)

You want to know what immorality in EVE Online looks like? Look no further than Ripard "Jester" Teg.

Chribba is the Chuck Norris of EVE.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#48 - 2014-09-28 09:19:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
eve has also taught me how to pick up girls at the supermarket,

what i do is approach them quietly,
them when they are getting a little nervous,
i reach over and take something out of their basket and place it in my own,
i then circle them slowly waiting for them to react.

(o7 dorien, i had this in my bio for a while and wondered why no bears were biting)
Previous page123