These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why EvE subscription is low (A newbro perspective)

Author
Varesk
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#81 - 2014-09-25 15:14:59 UTC
Hanz Hrible wrote:
I have no way to defend myself from rudes that have been playing the game for years and enjoy picking on people who've barely started.

I am sorry, I must have missed that special newbro flair that is on your avatar or next to your name when you show up in local. Point is, people dont really look at how old your character is, they will see a ship and if they are not blue, you will get shot. As far as the warp bubble, that seems to be lack of experience than some dude picking on you. Never warp directly to an out gate in Null.
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#82 - 2014-09-25 15:15:01 UTC
embrel wrote:
J'Poll wrote:
Hanz Hrible wrote:
Kousaka Otsu Shigure wrote:
Sorry but a month into the game will give you a really superficial insight of what eve is. So your OP is kinda not fair for the rest of us.

Try to give it at least a year.

But that's the issue, at most a player can only get 21 days before deciding to sub or not, and it's extremely difficult for a new player to circumvent those issues in that time- they get frustrated.. they leave.

It isn't.

If you know where to looks. Plenty of GOOD new player friendly corps around, plenty of new player friendly community channels around that can help you.

If you know how, most things are easy. Issue with newbs is, they don't know how.

hahahaha

Even my 6 year old niece knows how to use Google.

If you can't find something on the internet and you are playing an MMO, sorry but a chimp has more braincells then you in that case.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

J'Poll
Caldari State
#83 - 2014-09-25 15:20:35 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Crumplecorn wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
The old "if you can't use your brain you can't play eve snarf snarf" stuff that get's spouted all the time is complete nonsense. At some point you have to look at the system and ask yourself if it's really working well enough. If so many people have trouble gaining traction in EVE, it seems to me the likely problem is EVE, not the players.
"A game is broken if it's hard". Bollocks.
Actually it's: If a game aims to attract new players but it's lack of guidance prevent new players from being able to enjoy playing the game, then it is broken.

No, it means they target a very specific type of gamer, not the dime in a dozen type of gamer.

Which is exactly what CCP is doing, they don't want to be "WoW-in-space". They want to supply a game to a "special" type of gamer, one that doesn't mind using his brain, isn't afraid of some hard challenges and above all doesn't mind doing "1 step forward, 2 steps back" occasionally.

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

J'Poll
Caldari State
#84 - 2014-09-25 15:24:43 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:

The problem isn't that EVE is hard (which it isn't by the way). The problem is that EVE is not played in the same way as other games, yet doesn't explain how it is played well enough to someone who hasn't played it. The tutorials have way too much focus on mining, missioning and NPCs, and almost no focus on explaining how and why to join a good group, and the general player attitude is "if you don't know how to play EVE, go away". It's great that there are some of us who fight on through and continue to play, and if the idea is to keep the market tiny, then it's working as is. If the intention is to attract more new players (which fanfest seemed to imply is the case), serious work needs to be done.

Fun part, when I started there was hardly any tutorial to speak off.

I had NO trouble getting into the game..why?

Because whenever I start a new game, I start it with a clear mindset of not comparing it with other games.
That's they issue with a bunch of people, they try EVE (usually after it makes the news on some website or it comes on sale on steam) and expect it to be like "Game X". When it doesn't, they quit and blame EVE for not being correct.

About the tutorial, you do know there is an entire tutorial mission that focuses on fleet warfare?

Josef Djugashvilis
#85 - 2014-09-25 15:29:08 UTC
If CCP could come up with a set of tutorials which made explicit of aspects of the game, it would mean that Eve had been dumbed down to the point where most of us would quit.

The whole point of Eve is that it is very complex and that there is always something new to learn.

When I started, I used to look at virtually everything on my game screen, laugh because it meant absolutely nothing to me, then have great fun trying to work out what it all meant.

This is not a signature.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#86 - 2014-09-25 15:35:48 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Crumplecorn wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
The old "if you can't use your brain you can't play eve snarf snarf" stuff that get's spouted all the time is complete nonsense. At some point you have to look at the system and ask yourself if it's really working well enough. If so many people have trouble gaining traction in EVE, it seems to me the likely problem is EVE, not the players.
"A game is broken if it's hard". Bollocks.
Actually it's: If a game aims to attract new players but it's lack of guidance prevent new players from being able to enjoy playing the game, then it is broken.

Nope, it's a sandbox that relies of player creativity.

Quote:

The problem isn't that EVE is hard (which it isn't by the way). The problem is that EVE is not played in the same way as other games, yet doesn't explain how it is played well enough to someone who hasn't played it. The tutorials have way too much focus on mining, missioning and NPCs, and almost no focus on explaining how and why to join a good group, and the general player attitude is "if you don't know how to play EVE, go away". It's great that there are some of us who fight on through and continue to play, and if the idea is to keep the market tiny, then it's working as is. If the intention is to attract more new players (which fanfest seemed to imply is the case), serious work needs to be done.

Yes, that serious work being "delete all Tutorials".
RoAnnon
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#87 - 2014-09-25 15:38:58 UTC
It always strikes me as odd when a "new player" will take the time to post about problems other new players may have, though he himself seems to be overcoming them. Why is there so much concern about what other new players are experiencing, or what might drive them away? Go play the game, stop worrying about other newbies and their experience, learn the game, have fun. Play with the people that choose to stay.

Such things make me certain this is all a big troll...

So, you're a bounty hunter. No, that ain't it at all. Then what are you? I'm a bounty hunter.

Broadcast4Reps

Eve Vegas 2015 Pub Crawl Group 9

Houston EVE Meet

flakeys
Doomheim
#88 - 2014-09-25 15:40:44 UTC
embrel wrote:
J'Poll wrote:
Hanz Hrible wrote:
Kousaka Otsu Shigure wrote:
Sorry but a month into the game will give you a really superficial insight of what eve is. So your OP is kinda not fair for the rest of us.

Try to give it at least a year.

But that's the issue, at most a player can only get 21 days before deciding to sub or not, and it's extremely difficult for a new player to circumvent those issues in that time- they get frustrated.. they leave.

It isn't.

If you know where to looks. Plenty of GOOD new player friendly corps around, plenty of new player friendly community channels around that can help you.

If you know how, most things are easy. Issue with newbs is, they don't know how.

As with everything in life , it's called learning through mistakes .

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Crumplecorn
Eve Cluster Explorations
#89 - 2014-09-25 16:18:16 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
The problem isn't that EVE is hard (which it isn't by the way). The problem is that EVE is not played in the same way as other games, yet doesn't explain how it is played well enough to someone who hasn't played it.
This could be said of any game if it a player's first time in the genre. If you aren't prepared to spend some time figuring new things out, you're gonna have a bad time with new things.

Lucas Kell wrote:
There is no lack of guidance in EVE. None whatsoever. Pick a topic, any topic, in EVE that could be remotely relevant to a new player and you'll find guides and videos and chats and more than you could ever need. At this point the tutorial really needs to say little more than "Google it" to cover just about everything.

EVE may not be hard, on that we agree, but it is the kind of game which requires a bit of research and figuring out to play, and in these sorts of games there is simply no substitiute for self-motivated learning (or at least the willingness to ask someone more knowledgeable than you) - even if the tutorial could somehow get every person who tries EVE through their first month without fail, that's just gonna be a lot of people having a bad time in their second month.

The devs seem to have the right idea going forward - ditch the explicit tutorial, and just put helpful signposts on the buttons and actions available.

Witty Image - Stream

Not Liking this post hurts my RL feelings and will be considered harassment

Xuixien
Solar Winds Security Solutions
#90 - 2014-09-25 16:48:56 UTC
Prince Kobol wrote:
Xuixien wrote:
eve has a higher wash out rate than special forces yet continues to grow. it had a few hiccups recently, but most of the lost subs were part of the "boomers" we saw an influx of around 2011ish.

Continues to grow.. you sure about that one?

yes, after controlling for the boomer population, im sure eve is stll growing.

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#91 - 2014-09-25 16:51:23 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Right, And no one is saying that. But at a certain point, a person has to have at least SOME thinking abilities to play EVE, and some will to overcome challenges. I will never understand the folks like Lucas who seem to WANT to play with legions of gamers who can't be bother to figure out something as simple as EVE
I think you've misread something at some point as you seem to have no clue what I think about the game. Primarily, I don't think we should cater to "the legions", but we've pretty much reached the limit of what we will have with the current status quo. Now if CCP were happy with that, it would be fine, nothing needs to change, but they aren't, and they made it clear they'd like to work on new player retention. Whichever way you beat it, something needs to change for that to happen.

J'Poll wrote:
No, it means they target a very specific type of gamer, not the dime in a dozen type of gamer.

Which is exactly what CCP is doing, they don't want to be "WoW-in-space". They want to supply a game to a "special" type of gamer, one that doesn't mind using his brain, isn't afraid of some hard challenges and above all doesn't mind doing "1 step forward, 2 steps back" occasionally.
And that;s fine, but the current experience isn't just chucking away gamers that refuse to use their brains. People that could very well become great EVE players are being lost because they don't stumbling into a conversation with any of the 1% that can give them guidance, and the system itself is utterly useless in providing them information. You can't expect everyone to just inherently know how to play EVE.

J'Poll wrote:
Fun part, when I started there was hardly any tutorial to speak off.

I had NO trouble getting into the game..why?

Because whenever I start a new game, I start it with a clear mindset of not comparing it with other games.
That's they issue with a bunch of people, they try EVE (usually after it makes the news on some website or it comes on sale on steam) and expect it to be like "Game X". When it doesn't, they quit and blame EVE for not being correct.
Well done you. I'm sure you stating that will really help in retaining many new players.
See this is the problem. People are happy to chirp on about how they did it, but that doesn't resolve the actual issue that new player retention is crap.

J'Poll wrote:
About the tutorial, you do know there is an entire tutorial mission that focuses on fleet warfare?
I wasn't, so either it's new or it's carefully disguised as a "shoot red crosses" tutorial. I'll endeavor to rerun them ans take a gander.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#92 - 2014-09-25 16:52:19 UTC
Xuixien wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:
Xuixien wrote:
eve has a higher wash out rate than special forces yet continues to grow. it had a few hiccups recently, but most of the lost subs were part of the "boomers" we saw an influx of around 2011ish.

I'm sure we can expect CCP to push out their usual yearly "our subscriber numbers have grown to X!" announcement soon then, yes?

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#93 - 2014-09-25 16:56:38 UTC
Crumplecorn wrote:
This could be said of any game if it a player's first time in the genre. If you aren't prepared to spend some time figuring new things out, you're gonna have a bad time with new things.
Absolutely, but it works both ways. If you aren't prepared to spend some time showing people the ropes, you can't expect them to get it.

Crumplecorn wrote:
There is no lack of guidance in EVE. None whatsoever. Pick a topic, any topic, in EVE that could be remotely relevant to a new player and you'll find guides and videos and chats and more than you could ever need. At this point the tutorial really needs to say little more than "Google it" to cover just about everything.
If your method of teaching new players the basics involves going to third party websites, you're doing it wrong.

Crumplecorn wrote:
EVE may not be hard, on that we agree, but it is the kind of game which requires a bit of research and figuring out to play, and in these sorts of games there is simply no substitiute for self-motivated learning (or at least the willingness to ask someone more knowledgeable than you) - even if the tutorial could somehow get every person who tries EVE through their first month without fail, that's just gonna be a lot of people having a bad time in their second month.

The devs seem to have the right idea going forward - ditch the explicit tutorial, and just put helpful signposts on the buttons and actions available.
Sure, I agree, but why not show people more in game? Why not explain things to them more in depth, push people to do more than missioning to begin with. They get dumped in highsec with tutorials showing them how to shoot red crosses, surrounded by people waiting for them to click a button wrong and then blow them out of the sky, and people are surprised that many of them turn into risk averse carebears then quit after a few months?

Prince Kobol
#94 - 2014-09-25 17:04:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Prince Kobol
Xuixien wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:
Xuixien wrote:

So let me get this straight, what you are saying is that after load of people join Eve but have now left, it is growing..

Also proof please because unless CCP have recently announced subs none of us know either way
Paranoid Loyd
#95 - 2014-09-25 17:05:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
Prince Kobol wrote:
Xuixien wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:
Xuixien wrote:

So let me get this straight, what you are saying is that after load of people have left Eve, it is growing.. yeah that makes lots of sense lol

Alts =/= people

Unless CCP gives us numbers your assumption is as good as mine.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#96 - 2014-09-25 17:16:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Lucas Kell wrote:
I think you've misread something at some point as you seem to have no clue what I think about the game. Primarily, I don't think we should cater to "the legions", but we've pretty much reached the limit of what we will have with the current status quo. Now if CCP were happy with that, it would be fine, nothing needs to change, but they aren't, and they made it clear they'd like to work on new player retention. Whichever way you beat it, something needs to change for that to happen.

The bolded part is an assumption with no supporting evidence. a million folks could discover EVE tomorrow and be all like "wow, if I'd know, i'd have started 12 years ago"!

And yea, CCP said they want to work on player retention. That are a for profit company. That has zero to do with us (customers). When you post you aren't talking about what CCP wants, you are talking about what YOU want.
RenoIdo
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#97 - 2014-09-25 17:37:23 UTC

The facts:

1) No real expansion since 2010

2) Game has lost subs and average concurrent players every year since 2010

3) CCP is being so poorly managed they can't see the correlation between facts 1 and 2.
Charax Bouclier
Silvershield Universal
#98 - 2014-09-25 17:45:10 UTC
I can't speak for my fellow new players, but I am a masochist that really likes starting as a useless tool that slowly claws out of the muck. In fact, I took the 21 day trial and someone flipped me a good portion of the ISK for recruiting me (over 600M ISK), and I actually think that cheapened my experience by having that fallback stash.

It's not about competing against established players. It's about accomplishing very modest goals for yourself initially, and then getting incrementally better at things.

But I suspect that this is a minority mindset.

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#99 - 2014-09-25 17:49:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Benny Ohu
i like what lucas says (e: i only read the last page so if you said something really dumb before that lucas i will be very upset)

how do i put this? i want to see an instruction manual that'll tell players what a shovel is and how to use the shovel to dig holes. but it won't tell you you can use the holes to trip people over, or how to push them into holes

Quote:
The facts:

1) No real expansion since 2010

where's our new pve zone, race, boss fight, tradable hats and dual pistol powerset ccp X
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#100 - 2014-09-25 17:52:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Charax Bouclier wrote:
It's not about competing against established players. It's about accomplishing very modest goals for yourself initially, and then getting incrementally better at things.

But I suspect that this is a minority mindset.

It's a good way to approach Eve, you learn from your mistakes, and the player skills you pick up along the way are just as, if not more, important than your characters skills.

Benny Ohu wrote:
how do i put this? i want to see an instruction manual that'll tell players what a shovel is and how to use the shovel to dig holes. but it won't tell you you can use the holes to trip people over, or how to push them into holes
Or how to boobytrap the holes with Punji Sticks.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack