These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

The empire can kill capsuleers? :|

Author
Hal Morsh
Doomheim
#1 - 2014-09-24 22:32:22 UTC
I was doing this mission and actually read the text. The guy said this.

"I want you to go out there, meet Taphos, and kill him in combat. We've shut off access to his clones, so he won't be coming back."

So they CAN kill capsuleers. I might think they would have some trouble accomplishing it entirely though.

Oh, I perfectly understand, Hal Morsh — a mission like this requires courage, skill, and heroism… qualities you are clearly lacking. Have you forgotten you're one of the bloody immortals!?

Crumplecorn
Eve Cluster Explorations
#2 - 2014-09-24 22:35:41 UTC
Hal Morsh wrote:
I was doing this mission and actually read the text.
There's your first and second mistake.

Witty Image - Stream

Not Liking this post hurts my RL feelings and will be considered harassment

Yang Aurilen
The Mjolnir Bloc
Templis CALSF
#3 - 2014-09-24 22:45:11 UTC
EVE has text?

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#4 - 2014-09-24 22:51:24 UTC
OP should read Jita 4-4, my favourite chronicle.

Quote:
Which brings us to the second thing that eventually dawns, and on an diminishing scale now, down to the thousands. The second realization is that capsuleers can die. They are not immortal.

Many of my kind refuse to acknowledge this, but it is quite obvious. Standard capsuleer re-cloning relies on the use of mind-state transfer technology, which transfers consciousness from one highly controlled environment to another; Body A inside a capsule (an “egg”) and Body B (for Plan B) in a cloning facility.

The important phrase here is highly controlled environment. You can't say it is anything else. A scanner pores over your brain, capturing every last thought, every memory, every personality defect, and it does this why? Because your capsule was breached.

Because someone just proved how fragile that egg really is.

And that cloning facility you wake up in?

That cloning facility is surrounded by some of the most high-clearance people in the field - these invisible caretakers who oversee the rebirth of the universe's elite. They have a job with an importance like no other in our world, and with it, surveillance and monitoring you won't see anywhere else either. They are the real bodyguards. If a corporate CEO is waking up in one of these facilities, his contingent on the ground have already failed, and this, the most sacred of contingency plans, now depends on the people in the white suits. Obviously, not everyone is comfortable with that, least of all us capsuleers who won't often admit how tenuous our grip on everything really is.

Why? Because these people in white suits could make things go horribly wrong for you and me.

I think the reason we've started installing cloning vats on our largest, most powerful ships has less to do with logistics and more to do with trust issues.
Lady Naween
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2014-09-24 23:09:04 UTC
also if you read the empyrian age several capsuleers are killed permanently when their clone vats are sabotaged. so yeah we can still die permanently it is just rare
Jur Tissant
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2014-09-24 23:55:40 UTC
This is the SoE epic arc, which can be redone every few months, so it would seem our old buddy Taphos has found a way back anyways.
stoicfaux
#7 - 2014-09-25 00:45:04 UTC
You can also wake up in your new clone to find yourself in prison as per the Templar One novel.

We're immortal only as long as the spice clone vat flows.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Dorian Wylde
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2014-09-25 00:47:02 UTC
The novels tend to have this as a plot point. Templar One (I believe) has a Gallente Navy capsuleer disobey orders and leave a battle, and spends the rest of the novel on run. If he gets podded, he wakes up in a clone and will be immediately arrested and put in prison.

We may be the closest thing to gods in the known universe, but we're still mortal.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#9 - 2014-09-25 03:44:11 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:

that was pretty cool to read thanks for posting it. I mean it is one of those things that is cool to think about, but I think it would be a bit disastrous for say CCP or someone to actually implement. if your character could just be gone on a whim on the next podding, well I don't think I'd play the game.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2014-09-25 03:56:38 UTC
Dorian Wylde wrote:
The novels tend to have this as a plot point. Templar One (I believe) has a Gallente Navy capsuleer disobey orders and leave a battle, and spends the rest of the novel on run. If he gets podded, he wakes up in a clone and will be immediately arrested and put in prison.

We may be the closest thing to gods in the known universe, but we're still mortal.

yeah, they should probably fix that. really need to go full on infomorph, ya know, ressurrect into the 12 foot body of a dread killbot with dual tachyon lasers for arms and shoulder mounted nuclear warheads, maybe with a cylon raider facemask with built in laserbeam.

yeah, like to see them arrest that
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2014-09-25 03:57:52 UTC
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:

that was pretty cool to read thanks for posting it. I mean it is one of those things that is cool to think about, but I think it would be a bit disastrous for say CCP or someone to actually implement. if your character could just be gone on a whim on the next podding, well I don't think I'd play the game.

to be fair, alot of capsuleers also employ backup clones outside an empires space, or empire space altogether, which when combined with soft clones makes it VERY difficult for a single empire/entity to completely kill of a capsuleer, without alot of coordinated assistance and pre positioning
Lady Areola Fappington
#12 - 2014-09-25 04:33:47 UTC
It's not so much the clone per se, as the data link going from pod to new body.

If I recall my lore correctly, the Empires won't cut that link willy-nilly because they don't want capsuleers going crazy and taking over. On the flipside of that, the capsuleers follow Empire rules in Empire space (via CONCORD), in order to keep from giving the governments reason to cut the line.

It's all very grimdarky and Catch-22. We break the rules, Empires can pull the plug, but if the Empires flex their might too much, we'll whip out our superior tech and spaceship fightin' skills to attempt a mass takeover.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Harrison Tato
Yamato Holdings
#13 - 2014-09-25 05:03:52 UTC
You are fine as long as the socket on your clone vat doesn't close at the wrong time.
Solette Cheli
Doomheim
#14 - 2014-09-25 06:24:52 UTC
They can also forcibly move your clone (assuming it is in a station they have durisdiction), because players can, so it makes sense for theme to be able to as well.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#15 - 2014-09-25 06:58:00 UTC
Empyrean Age and the present lore have a conflict.

The present lore is that new capsuleers get euthanized and then go into a new clone. EA has a line regarding one of the main characters making a reference to "losing the body he was born with".

Also, I read in the past that the action of the pod electronics on breach actually killed the pilot before the pod breach. So I don't know where that choking sound is coming from now.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Vyl Vit
#16 - 2014-09-25 07:35:29 UTC
Did I stumble onto the role playing section of the forum?
Let me know when you have to roll another toon, 'cause
your main is gone - but you didn't de-rez it.

Paradise is like where you are right now, only much, much better.

Jacob Holland
Weyland-Vulcan Industries
#17 - 2014-09-25 07:39:07 UTC
Hal Morsh wrote:
I was doing this mission and actually read the text. The guy said this.

"I want you to go out there, meet Taphos, and kill him in combat. We've shut off access to his clones, so he won't be coming back."

So they CAN kill capsuleers. I might think they would have some trouble accomplishing it entirely though.

While it may be possible to shut down capsuleer cloning lines... it is also possible (and likely in this case, given that the mission is carried out by hundreds of capsuleers each day) that agents lie.
Consider that many of the cloning facilities around New Eden are controlled by non-empire corporations; SoE is probably the most visible but there are Impro and SoCT (Jovian Corporations) facilities to consider too. If Tiberius Heth has a fit of pique he might have the power to shut off your access to Caldari owned (and operated) facilities but...

Quote:
yeah, they should probably fix that. really need to go full on infomorph, ya know, ressurrect into the 12 foot body of a dread killbot with dual tachyon lasers for arms and shoulder mounted nuclear warheads, maybe with a cylon raider facemask with built in laserbeam.

yeah, like to see them arrest that

Yeah, because that's really going to get the chicks flocking round Blink
Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#18 - 2014-09-25 09:13:35 UTC
You can run from empire agents, but you will only die tired. Blink
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#19 - 2014-09-25 12:02:37 UTC
Jur Tissant wrote:
This is the SoE epic arc, which can be redone every few months, so it would seem our old buddy Taphos has found a way back anyways.

It's his evil twins. They have a big family extended family, so, yeah...

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Xuixien
Critical Horizon
Beyond the Breach
#20 - 2014-09-25 12:44:23 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Empyrean Age and the present lore have a conflict.

The present lore is that new capsuleers get euthanized and then go into a new clone. EA has a line regarding one of the main characters making a reference to "losing the body he was born with".

Also, I read in the past that the action of the pod electronics on breach actually killed the pilot before the pod breach. So I don't know where that choking sound is coming from now.

when yo make a fresh toon, check the wallet. when i started playing it was listed as an inheretence.

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

12Next page