These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Bastion Module I Still Unanswered

First post
Author
Queen Elarik
Doomheim
#1 - 2014-09-24 14:31:47 UTC
I read the old threads an no one answered the question adequately.

Why is there an aggression timer for the Bastion Module I?

I see it as a defensive module...not offensive.

Clean it up, close it out and stick it where the sun don't shine!

Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#2 - 2014-09-24 14:36:56 UTC
It's like PCP, nobody takes it to sleep peacefully.

Invalid signature format

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#3 - 2014-09-24 14:39:40 UTC
Sentenced 1989
#4 - 2014-09-24 14:41:23 UTC
Queen Elarik wrote:

Because CCP wants to make sure it's not abused.
For example, you undock from station or hug the gate, you enter bastion and get more range, better tank, after 45 seconds you realize it's not going to go well for you since they have neuts, you cancel your cycle and you dock or jump.

Hence the timer, which forces you to stay on that station or gate for one more minute.
Vyl Vit
#5 - 2014-09-24 14:45:04 UTC
Destination SkillQueue wrote:
Now. Why didn't I think of that?

Paradise is like where you are right now, only much, much better.

Dave Stark
#6 - 2014-09-24 14:54:36 UTC
better question, why does it give you a 1 min timer when you DEACTIVATE the goddamn thing.
Queen Elarik
Doomheim
#7 - 2014-09-24 15:11:16 UTC
Honestly I don't agree with any of the reasons stated.

As far as docking games go, if you actually shoot someone you'll get an aggression timer. If you undock or hug a gate and activate it, you have to wait a minute to dock or jump anyway.

So essentially you're making it a 2 minute process. Because even if you double-click the mod you have to let it run its 60 second cycle and then wait an additional minute for the aggression timer to run out.

It's not fair and it doesn't make sense. CCP needs to rethink this!

Absolutely Not Analt
Carebears on Fire
Viral Society
#8 - 2014-09-24 15:14:53 UTC
Queen Elarik wrote:

Fair != Eve Online.

That said, why should they change it? They expressly designed it that way to prevent abuse. Why would they make a change to add in the possibility of abuse? That's what doesn't make sense.

Eve is a multi player game. And you are the content. - Ralph King-Griffin Being meh at two things is not better than being great at one. - Lugh Crow-Slave

Aiyshimin
Shiva Furnace
#9 - 2014-09-24 15:15:01 UTC
Queen Elarik wrote:

Why is it a problem for you? Would you like to use it for station games?
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#10 - 2014-09-24 15:15:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Queen Elarik wrote:

As far as docking games go, if you actually shoot someone you'll get an aggression timer. If you undock or hug a gate and activate it, you have to wait a minute to dock or jump anyway.

So essentially you're making it a 2 minute process. Because even if you double-click the mod you have to let it run its 60 second cycle and then wait an additional minute for the aggression timer to run out.

what could possibly be op about being able to tank jesus christ himself and then go "lol" and dock up....

hmmm that's a toughey.
Queen Elarik
Doomheim
#11 - 2014-09-24 15:26:05 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
what could possibly be op about being able to tank jesus christ himself and then go "lol" and dock up....

hmmm that's a toughey.

You don't know what you're talking about.

1) Undock
2) Activate Module
3) Deactivate Module
4) Tank Jesus Christ
5) Wait 60 seconds
6) Dock Up

That's the scenario "WITHOUT" a 60-second aggression timer.

Why make it a 2-minute process???

Do you even use one?

Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#12 - 2014-09-24 15:26:47 UTC
Queen Elarik wrote:

because i could blap people all day and when they finally show up with something to kill me:

Activate bastion
Survive duration of aggro timer
dock
Lol at all the angry people outside
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#13 - 2014-09-24 15:35:19 UTC
Queen Elarik wrote:
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:

hmmm that's a toughey.

You don't know what you're talking about.

1) Undock
2) Activate Module
3) Deactivate Module
4) Tank Jesus Christ
5) Wait 60 seconds
6) Dock Up

That's the scenario "WITHOUT" a 60-second aggression timer.

Why make it a 2-minute process???

Do you even use one?

extensively, and Rowells nails it
ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#14 - 2014-09-24 15:40:29 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD LackOfFaith
Quote:
2. Be respectful toward others at all times.

The purpose of the EVE Online forums is to provide a platform for exchange of ideas, and a venue for the discussion of EVE Online. Occasionally there will be conflicts that arise when people voice opinions. Forum users are expected to be courteous when disagreeing with others.

4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not conductive to the community spirit that CCP promotes. As such, this kind of behavior will not be tolerated.

5. Trolling is prohibited.

Trolling is a defined as a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting other players in an attempt to incite retaliation or an emotional response. Posts of this nature are disruptive, often abusive, and do not contribute to the sense of community that CCP promote.

23. Post constructively.

Negative feedback can be very useful to further improve EVE Online provided that it is presented in a civil and factual manner. All users are encouraged to honestly express their feelings regarding EVE Online and how it can be improved. Posts that are non-constructive, insulting or in breach of the rules will be deleted regardless of how valid the ideas behind them may be. Users are also reminded that posting with a lack of content also constitutes non-constructive posting.

27. Off-topic posting is prohibited.

Off-topic posting is permitted within reason, as sometimes a single comment may color or lighten the tone of discussion. However, excessive posting of off-topic remarks in an attempt to derail a thread may result in the thread being locked, or a forum warning being issued to the off-topic poster.

Thread cleaned up as per the above rules. Remember: ad-hominems do not a good argument make, no matter how strongly you disagree. Please stay civil, constructive, and on-topic.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#15 - 2014-09-24 15:52:35 UTC
Speaking of on-topic:

My understanding is that, in concept, activating your weapons is supposed to confer a minute of "vulnerability", in which you can theoretically be made to face consequences. Hence, the weapons timer. If the bastion module did not cause any sort of timer, the time after activating your weapons would have much, much reduced "vulnerability", hence CCP Fozzie's comment on powerful docking games. To prevent this and preserve the "minute of vulnerability", the bastion module was instead changed to itself cause a weapons timer, counting down from its deactivation. This comes at the cost of penalizing those who would like to use the bastion module purely defensively by not letting them use it in a situation where they are waiting to dock or jump. That's a known consequence, intended by CCP Fozzie (as per his post) to prevent powerful docking games.

Does that answer the question?

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Queen Elarik
Doomheim
#16 - 2014-09-24 15:53:27 UTC
Rowells wrote:
[quote=Queen Elarik]because i could blap people all day and when they finally show up with something to kill me:

Activate bastion
Survive duration of aggro timer
dock
Lol at all the angry people outside

So you think they should get 1 minute to shoot you with the module active and then another full minute to shoot you without it active?

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#17 - 2014-09-24 15:54:46 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
better question, why does it give you a 1 min timer when you DEACTIVATE the goddamn thing.

To stop people like me from docking the second it deactivatesBlink
Mobbel Ernaga
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#18 - 2014-09-24 15:56:31 UTC
Queen Elarik wrote:

Ignoring the case that the ship doesn't warp off when bastion runs out if you have an aggression timer is unfair...
Queen Elarik
Doomheim
#19 - 2014-09-24 15:58:56 UTC
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:
Speaking of on-topic:

My understanding is that, in concept, activating your weapons is supposed to confer a minute of "vulnerability", in which you can theoretically be made to face consequences. Hence, the weapons timer. If the bastion module did not cause any sort of timer, the time after activating your weapons would have much, much reduced "vulnerability", hence CCP Fozzie's comment on powerful docking games. To prevent this and preserve the "minute of vulnerability", the bastion module was instead changed to itself cause a weapons timer, counting down from its deactivation. This comes at the cost of penalizing those who would like to use the bastion module purely defensively by not letting them use it in a situation where they are waiting to dock or jump. That's a known consequence, intended by CCP Fozzie (as per his post) to prevent powerful docking games.

Does that answer the question?

Somewhat, but why not make the timer start when you deactivate the BM? IMO 119 seconds is too long for someone that chooses to disengage and dock or jump. Assuming they will be webbed and scrammed the second it goes offline they will have no other choice.

FYI: I hate docking games and only use it for running level IV's.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#20 - 2014-09-24 16:06:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Queen Elarik wrote:

So you think they should get 1 minute to shoot you with the module active and then another full minute to shoot you without it active?

exactly this yes

and as per the above comment its a 60s timer,
the module has a 60s cycle time regardless of how many times you click it
12Next page