These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Missioners: What is your goal?

Author
IceBergSlim
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#81 - 2011-12-11 13:00:58 UTC
Caellach Marellus wrote:
I mission for a few various reasons....

TL:DR - Different strokes for different folks.

QFT
El Boracho
State War Academy
Caldari State
#82 - 2011-12-11 16:29:02 UTC
Ahh did the mean missioners cause you to cry? I am sure they like your tears.

When you ask a question with as much personal bias that you have let leak through it shows your true intent and immediately pisses people off.

Missions are fun for me in small doses, trade is fun for me in small doses, pvp is fun for me in small doses, etc, etc. Its part of the game and provides some variety.

Doriana Grey
Doomheim
#83 - 2011-12-11 19:02:13 UTC
I run missions during the week so I can wear my +5 implants while I farm isk. Lol On the weekend I jumpclone back to my corp's station in nullsec and pvp it up with no implants to loose.

I used to run havens and all that during the week, but it got hectic around our region and I don't log enough hours mon-fri to wait out station camps and still turn enough profit to pay for my weekend pvp habits. It does feel a little dirty being in empire so much these days, but the alternative is to go back to flying rifters.
I Accidentally YourShip
Ronin ONE
Ronin Reloaded
#84 - 2011-12-11 21:56:39 UTC
El Boracho wrote:
Ahh did the mean missioners cause you to cry? I am sure they like your tears.

When you ask a question with as much personal bias that you have let leak through it shows your true intent and immediately pisses people off.

Missions are fun for me in small doses, trade is fun for me in small doses, pvp is fun for me in small doses, etc, etc. Its part of the game and provides some variety.

I find it amusing that I'm API verified on battleclinic (last I checked, might not be with the new API system if the old key is no longer valid) so you can tell exactly what I do with this character. It's clearly not pvp and lol mining. Yet you still think I hate missioners and missioning.
Nullbeard Rager
Doomheim
#85 - 2011-12-11 22:52:39 UTC
I Accidentally YourShip wrote:
SECOND EDIT: Thank you for all the replies from the people who do not qualify under the criteria below. Your replies have not been helpful. To the people who feel that they need to analyse the motive behind my creation of said thread, you are equally useless to the point of the topic, but entertaining nonetheless. To any mission runners who actually replied to the thread with a good answer that I missed, I apologise, the general replies to this thread have killed my interest, which was a fleeting and spontaneous one to begin with.

Why do you mission endlessly? I'm not talking to the people who fuel their expensive pvp habits with missioning, I'm talking about the people who mission and mission to get more ISK, to get a bigger ship so you can get more ISK faster.

Why? I'm curious. Is mission running therapeutic? Is it fun to you? Do you enjoy getting the same small pool of missions over and over again, dominating the same NPCs with a small amount of risk and no artificial path of progression? Unlike most other treadmill games that attach effort to progress EVE does not do that. Ships are disposable, even expensive ships with expensive modules can eventually be replaced. The illusion of progress in this game is skill points which are static in gain. No effort you make improves your character itself in any way, only time does that. Where is the carrot to actively chase?

This is not a flame / troll / bait post, I am a former EVE player who is interested in the viewpoints of missioners who continue to do something that I burned out on due to lack of direction and goal a long time ago.

This is a game and thus 99% utterly pointless and silly.

Other than learning some business skills and some teamwork and fleet command skills, (most of which are far more applicable to EVE than to real life, yet not entirely without merit), it's a time sink.

If you are asking people why they spend time here, then ask that.

If you are NOT a troll and really just want a pep talk to keep you in the game then next time say "missions feel pointless to me now" and save everyone the reading of your VERY trollish looking post, okay?

Field of Trolls:  "If you chum it, they will come."

Flurk Hellbron
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#86 - 2011-12-11 23:17:22 UTC
I Just guess that there are no players in EVE that do only missioning.
But, for most players it is one way amongst many others to make ISK, fill in play time etc.

So maybe find the lonely only missioners first.

Och, and yes I mission too, amongst all other activity's in EVE.
I Accidentally YourShip
Ronin ONE
Ronin Reloaded
#87 - 2011-12-11 23:21:31 UTC
Nullbeard Rager wrote:
SECOND EDIT: Thank you for all the replies from the people who do not qualify under the criteria below. Your replies have not been helpful. To the people who feel that they need to analyse the motive behind my creation of said thread, you are equally useless to the point of the topic, but entertaining nonetheless. To any mission runners who actually replied to the thread with a good answer that I missed, I apologise, the general replies to this thread have killed my interest, which was a fleeting and spontaneous one to begin with.

Why do you mission endlessly? I'm not talking to the people who fuel their expensive pvp habits with missioning, I'm talking about the people who mission and mission to get more ISK, to get a bigger ship so you can get more ISK faster.

Why? I'm curious. Is mission running therapeutic? Is it fun to you? Do you enjoy getting the same small pool of missions over and over again, dominating the same NPCs with a small amount of risk and no artificial path of progression? Unlike most other treadmill games that attach effort to progress EVE does not do that. Ships are disposable, even expensive ships with expensive modules can eventually be replaced. The illusion of progress in this game is skill points which are static in gain. No effort you make improves your character itself in any way, only time does that. Where is the carrot to actively chase?

This is not a flame / troll / bait post, I am a former EVE player who is interested in the viewpoints of missioners who continue to do something that I burned out on due to lack of direction and goal a long time ago.

Other than learning some business skills and some teamwork and fleet command skills, (most of which are far more applicable to EVE than to real life, yet not entirely without merit), it's a time sink.

If you are NOT a troll and really just want a pep talk to keep you in the game then next time say "missions feel pointless to me now" and save everyone the reading of your VERY trollish looking post, okay?

Read the thread before responding, it makes you look inept.
Flurk Hellbron
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#88 - 2011-12-11 23:23:13 UTC
OP seems to be trolling coz in another topic he claims to play mission lvl IV's???????????

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=44197&find=unread
I Accidentally YourShip
Ronin ONE
Ronin Reloaded
#89 - 2011-12-11 23:23:48 UTC
Flurk Hellbron wrote:
I Just guess that there are no players in EVE that do only missioning.
But, for most players it is one way amongst many others to make ISK, fill in play time etc.

So maybe find the lonely only missioners first.

Och, and yes I mission too, amongst all other activity's in EVE.

That's the conclusion that the thread had come to but since I started playing again that has not been my experience. I have met multiple hard core mission bears who mission all day just to get more isk to pimp out their already ludicrously fit ship or get a more pimp ship to fly more missions, so they are out there. They are not the majority for sure, and they clearly are not forum readers.
I Accidentally YourShip
Ronin ONE
Ronin Reloaded
#90 - 2011-12-11 23:25:04 UTC
Flurk Hellbron wrote:
OP seems to be trolling coz in another topic he claims to play mission lvl IV's???????????

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=44197&find=unread

I had burned out on EVE months ago when this topic was started. I have since come back and while I still do not enjoy running the missions themselves, the easy ISK they supply me with to fund my other characters is desirable.
Aargolos
Estrale Frontiers
#91 - 2011-12-11 23:43:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Aargolos
For me, it's a time-sink and provides isk for pvp.

Within the last few weeks, I've grown more and more tired of running missions. That being said, I'm still working on skills to be able to eventually do some lowsec exploration and other, more dangerous ways to play in the sandbox.

I'll probably look into WH stuff again, and at some point would like to play around in null.

I do enjoy violencing people with fire, and certainly am not afraid to die horribly in the processP Lost two ships earlier on a small gang lowsec roam and had a fine time explodingBig smile
Nullbeard Rager
Doomheim
#92 - 2011-12-12 00:48:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Nullbeard Rager
Nullbeard Rager wrote:

Based on the fact that you don't know me and reading what you have written so far makes it unlikely that you have either the experience, education or the intelligence to make such a judgement about me...either way your opinion of me makes me giggle.RollPLol

Insults like your above response are the very essence of trolling as is your original post. If you genuinely do not realize this, then YOU are inept and incompetent at this sort of conversation. You are either a VERY good troll, as unlikely as that seems, or quite obtuse and unaware of how you sound which seems much more likely. Your forum rhetoric is weak and, based on another post of yours I saw, makes one feel that you are trying hard to get people to think you are smarter and better educated than you are.

Good luck with that...here's a cookie!Big smile

Field of Trolls:  "If you chum it, they will come."

I Accidentally YourShip
Ronin ONE
Ronin Reloaded
#93 - 2011-12-12 00:58:48 UTC
Nullbeard Rager wrote:
Nullbeard Rager wrote:

Based on the fact that you don't know me and reading what you have written so far makes it unlikely that you have either the experience, education or the intelligence to make such a judgement about me...either way your opinion of me makes me giggle.RollPLol

Insults like your above response are the very essence of trolling as is your original post. If you genuinely do not realize this, then YOU are inept and incompetent at this sort of conversation. You are either a VERY good troll, as unlikely as that seems, or quite obtuse and unaware of how you sound which seems much more likely. Your forum rhetoric is weak and, based on another post of yours I saw, makes one feel that you are trying hard to get people to think you are smarter and better educated than you are.

You responded to the original post without reading the entire thread. My observation was that it made you look inept, which is does. I did not state that you are inept or uneducated or an idiot, just that your failure to read the entire thread and subsequent post made you look as such. This second post also suggests that not only are you inept but you are easily insulted and a passion driven person. This pleases me in ways that would be inappropriate to describe on a forum board.
Jordanna Bauer
Taylor Swift Fanclub
#94 - 2011-12-12 01:02:26 UTC
Nullbeard Rager wrote:
Nullbeard Rager wrote:

MAD
Thredd Necro
Doomheim
#95 - 2011-12-12 01:06:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Thredd Necro
D'oh wrong thread...

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams

I Accidentally YourShip
Ronin ONE
Ronin Reloaded
#96 - 2011-12-12 01:15:11 UTC
Thredd Necro wrote:
BTW who does your translations? They are very good but clearly english is not your first language.

Yo u caught me dawg. ebonix iz muh motha fuckin first language, ah use uh little chinese boy ta transmalate ta cracker ass english otay buh-weet

Edit: Aw I put effort into that too! Sad
Nor Tzestu
Dos Pollos Hermanos
#97 - 2011-12-12 01:18:35 UTC
Why do I mission?

Well, It fits my playtime best of all Eve activities. I have kids/wife etc. Full time job all that hub lub. I can log on, make a little isk and log off. No worries about being on someone's schedule but my own. Ships and stuff? I don't know I guess there is a bit of carrot on a stick about them. I do personally really like the ships in this game. Being able to afford a nice well fitted boat is certainly a worthy goal in my opinion. Not the end all be all of the game, but something you should look forward to. I know people who PVP and they love finally being able to fly "x" ship or fit "x" module. I don't think mission runners have the market cornered on gear hounds.

Missions do have some valuable lessons in them for those willing to learn and adapt. Learning how to maximize your isk outlay, how to effectively work in the markets are all goal's a serious mission runner needs to undertake. Mission runners are the lifeblood of the faction module economy and being able to leverage your LP is a more or less necessary skill at this point in Eve to realize any real profits. Most mission runners also end up developing very good PVP skills ( t2 weapons and tanks) and don't realize it. Getting the use of the best modules in the game to minimize mission times is on every mission runners to do list. Those same skills allow you to have a very solid base for starting PVP down the road.

I know lots of people think of mission runners as morons. That's cool. No skin off my nose. What they don't realize is a efficient mission runner has lots of skills built up and a solid knowledge of most facets of Eve. Sure they aren't gods in a fight, or maybe even very good. There is a lot more to Eve than just shooting people though. And I think if there was a way to get people out in small cheap ships without being instantly roasted by a 10 man gate camp you'd see more people out there. As it is with huge powerblocs, constant hotdrops and general asshattery by the "PVP" public lots of people have better things to do with their hour or two of playtime a night.
I Accidentally YourShip
Ronin ONE
Ronin Reloaded
#98 - 2011-12-12 01:20:33 UTC
Nor Tzestu wrote:
Why do I mission?

Well, It fits my playtime best of all Eve activities. I have kids/wife etc. Full time job all that hub lub. I can log on, make a little isk and log off. No worries about being on someone's schedule but my own. Ships and stuff? I don't know I guess there is a bit of carrot on a stick about them. I do personally really like the ships in this game. Being able to afford a nice well fitted boat is certainly a worthy goal in my opinion. Not the end all be all of the game, but something you should look forward to. I know people who PVP and they love finally being able to fly "x" ship or fit "x" module. I don't think mission runners have the market cornered on gear hounds.

Missions do have some valuable lessons in them for those willing to learn and adapt. Learning how to maximize your isk outlay, how to effectively work in the markets are all goal's a serious mission runner needs to undertake. Mission runners are the lifeblood of the faction module economy and being able to leverage your LP is a more or less necessary skill at this point in Eve to realize any real profits. Most mission runners also end up developing very good PVP skills ( t2 weapons and tanks) and don't realize it. Getting the use of the best modules in the game to minimize mission times is on every mission runners to do list. Those same skills allow you to have a very solid base for starting PVP down the road.

I know lots of people think of mission runners as morons. That's cool. No skin off my nose. What they don't realize is a efficient mission runner has lots of skills built up and a solid knowledge of most facets of Eve. Sure they aren't gods in a fight, or maybe even very good. There is a lot more to Eve than just shooting people though. And I think if there was a way to get people out in small cheap ships without being instantly roasted by a 10 man gate camp you'd see more people out there. As it is with huge powerblocs, constant hotdrops and general asshattery by the "PVP" public lots of people have better things to do with their hour or two of playtime a night.

Holy crap! A real mission bear! Get it!

Just kidding, glad to see there are some mission bears who actually read the forums. It's your 15 per month, play how you want.
Aggressive Nutmeg
#99 - 2011-12-12 02:01:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Aggressive Nutmeg
This whole thread is a troll, surely? There is no such thing as just a Missioner.

I don't believe any player does just one thing in this game - unless they're less than a month old or a bot.

I run L4 missions in a BC, Salvage in a Noctis, PVP in cheap T1 frigs, Manufacture (mostly to replace my own ships!) and Hulk Mine (although not for months - reprocessing loot now gives me more than enough for manufacture).

I'm not Elite at anything just yet, but I enjoy seeing the incremental improvements as my experience and skills improve.

And the plans I have for next year will see me doing a range of new tasks.

If PVP was the only option in EVE, I would definitely have quit from boredom in the first week.

Never make eye contact with someone while eating a banana.

Thredd Necro
Doomheim
#100 - 2011-12-12 04:12:10 UTC
Thredd Necro wrote:
BTW who does your translations? They are very good but clearly english is not your first language.

Yo u caught me dawg. ebonix iz muh motha fuckin first language, ah use uh little chinese boy ta transmalate ta cracker ass english otay buh-weet

Edit: Aw I put effort into that too! Sad

I appreciate your consideration and effort.Big smile

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams