These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Plex Trade!

Author
Hairpins Blueprint
The Northerners
Northern Coalition.
#1 - 2014-09-15 09:06:36 UTC
I think the plex is not like any other item in game, so it should not be traded like other items.


The awsome option to donate time was added to plex. So now it should be Imposible to trade or sell the plex on the market after you purchase it from other player on the market.


Soo, some on get plex from CCP, than put it on the market, other player buy's it and the plex belogins to him.
But he can't trade it, or sell it on the market any more. He can only donate the time.

this will make imposible for people to manipulate the prize of plex and use it as investment. it will be used as it was intended to be. Pirate

and it will be easier to target RMT plex reselers? no idea

Tabyll Altol
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2014-09-15 09:16:19 UTC
Nice idea, so now you give a player money and he will donate the time to you.

Am I the only one which have high doubts about this ?


The manipulation of the market is one key aspect of eve, so a big no.

As long as people pay this prices the prices are okay, as soon as they getting to high then they will fall. But so many player want to play the game over the plex, so prices rise.
Darth Gustav
Sith Interstellar Tech Harvesting
#3 - 2014-09-15 09:18:00 UTC
Hairpins Blueprint wrote:
I think the plex is not like any other item in game, so it should not be traded like other items.


The awsome option to donate time was added to plex. So now it should be Imposible to trade or sell the plex on the market after you purchase it from other player on the market.


Soo, some on get plex from CCP, than put it on the market, other player buy's it and the plex belogins to him.
But he can't trade it, or sell it on the market any more. He can only donate the time.

this will make imposible for people to manipulate the prize of plex and use it as investment. it will be used as it was intended to be. Pirate

and it will be easier to target RMT plex reselers? no idea


Arbitrage of PLEX drives up its value, which reduces the usefulness of RMT. Free-market pressures drive demand for new PLEX to be injected into the game via RL transactions between CCP (a business) and us (their customer). So, to make people want to buy new PLEX more, they allow the price to be manipulated through arbitrage. That's good for their bottom-line, which is inevitably good for everyone who plays the game.

Though high PLEX prices on the market may seem detrimental to players trying to play-to-pay, as it were, it's actually also a benefit to them. That's because to some extent the floors of pricing for just about everything in Eve are tied to the price of PLEX. So when PLEX prices are high, any virtual goods the player sells will be worth more ISK. This relationship may seem counter intuitive, but it's at play every day in Eve's (pretty healthy) market.

What possible benefits besides price regulation would CCP gain from artificially restricting the market value of PLEX? How would those benefits weigh in comparison with the supposed benefits to players?

He who trolls trolls best when he who is trolled trolls the troller. -Darth Gustav's Axiom

Iain Cariaba
#4 - 2014-09-15 10:20:11 UTC
Heh, why not just go back to the old gtc method where you sold the code over the forum
Hairpins Blueprint
The Northerners
Northern Coalition.
#5 - 2014-09-15 19:49:23 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Heh, why not just go back to the old gtc method where you sold the code over the forum

would make it to slow, etc. etc it's cool to have it on the market
Hairpins Blueprint
The Northerners
Northern Coalition.
#6 - 2014-09-15 19:55:44 UTC
Darth Gustav wrote:

Arbitrage of PLEX drives up its value, which reduces the usefulness of RMT. Free-market pressures drive demand for new PLEX to be injected into the game via RL transactions between CCP (a business) and us (their customer). So, to make people want to buy new PLEX more, they allow the price to be manipulated through arbitrage. That's good for their bottom-line, which is inevitably good for everyone who plays the game.

Though high PLEX prices on the market may seem detrimental to players trying to play-to-pay, as it were, it's actually also a benefit to them. That's because to some extent the floors of pricing for just about everything in Eve are tied to the price of PLEX. So when PLEX prices are high, any virtual goods the player sells will be worth more ISK. This relationship may seem counter intuitive, but it's at play every day in Eve's (pretty healthy) market.

What possible benefits besides price regulation would CCP gain from artificially restricting the market value of PLEX? How would those benefits weigh in comparison with the supposed benefits to players?



but can you see the way it would hurt the economy? there is no proof that prize will go down, but it will kill market manipulation.

i can't see how it will hurt, after the option to donate time was added now.

But my knowlage of economics is bad ... so elight me. would it destroy the market and make bad influence on it? i don't think so.

It would return the plex to the state it was intended to be, to get ISK for real money, and game time for isk, nothing more nothing less.
voetius
Grundrisse
#7 - 2014-09-15 21:19:53 UTC

Darth's point is that trading plex on the market must exert upward pressure on plex prices and it's obvious that higher plex prices are bad for RMTers. High plex prices are also good for CCP as they are an incenticve to people to buy them if they need isk quick.

So although your suggestion would stop speculation it would be good for RMTers and bad for CCP plex sales. So no real benefit to CCP.
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#8 - 2014-09-15 21:38:30 UTC
Hairpins Blueprint wrote:
this will make imposible for people to manipulate the prize of plex and use it as investment. it will be used as it was intended to be.
i believe it was intended to be traded. That's why they put it on market. To trade. With isk.
Jur Tissant
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2014-09-15 23:10:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Jur Tissant
EVE is all about emergent gameplay and using PLEX to backup/invest your ISK is a prime example of that. The argument that something was "meant to be" some way carries little weight in a game like EVE.

Nor do I see any solid evidence to suggest that CCP didn't intend for PLEX to become a trading tool in addition to its other uses.
Angeal MacNova
LankTech
#10 - 2014-09-16 02:10:00 UTC
The thing is that a market's vulnerability to manipulation is connected to the number of people involved in it. The more competitive the market is, the harder it is to manipulate.

Allowing people to set up buy orders in order to turn around and put the PLEX they buy up for sale increases the competitiveness of the market.

It helps to bring sell prices down and bring buy prices up. Narrowing the gap between them.

The bottom line for the price of PLEX still comes down to supply and demand. The equilibrium price really wouldn't change with what the OP suggests, but the gap between buy and sell orders would widen.

This means that those who want to sell their PLEX for isk now will get less for it than they do now while those who need a PLEX now to sub their account will have to pay more than they do now.

This is bad for both of these people.

On the flip side, those who can wait to get their PLEX will get it for cheaper than they do now while those who can wait to get the isk from their PLEX will get more isk than they do now.

This is good for both of these people.

However, the current situation of a more competitive market is more fair for everyone.

http://www.projectvaulderie.com/goodnight-sweet-prince/

http://www.projectvaulderie.com/the-untold-story/

CCP's true, butthurt, colors.

Because those who can't do themselves keep others from doing too.

Sigras
Conglomo
#11 - 2014-09-16 02:37:30 UTC
Hairpins Blueprint wrote:
It would return the plex to the state it was intended to be, to get ISK for real money, and game time for isk, nothing more nothing less.

You're making a pretty serious assumption here... I know this is what you think PLEX are intended for, but is that actually accurate? I know that I use PLEX as a gold standard of Eve...

You're making an interesting claim, can you back it up? and if you can, can you tell us why it should only be used for what you believe it should be used for?