These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page
 

Are capsuleers slavers?

First post First post
Author
Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2014-09-13 19:19:31 UTC
Guttripper wrote:
Careful with how this thread is proceeding - CCP might revise their game into a further ISK sink by requiring "teams" to be a part of your ship before you can undock.

Of course, each team will have its various perks and there will be huge E-Bay type bidding wars for the best teams, but after thirty days, they abandon ship and you would need to begin again...


That has been suggested bafore, along with 'skilled crew' and trainign them for a few % more.

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2014-09-13 21:41:33 UTC

Sib's crew enlist out of loyalty and love.. though soon they find themselves trapped in probably the worst (and likely last) journey through space of their lives. Needless to say (accidental) mass murders of non-capsuleer crew is not a CONCORD punishable offense.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Vyl Vit
#23 - 2014-09-13 23:49:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Vyl Vit
Charax Bouclier wrote:
And, of course, slavery should be abolished and you should pay your crew a fair wage.
This is why I always jettison homeless people and Caldari Marines in a can when I need a stationary orbital point.
Don't leave home without one. I keep a stock on hand back at the station...in case I lose one.

As far as crewing requirements, supply costs, all that ancillary budgetary stuff? The cost of operating a ship per hour is sort of brushed under a floor mat here, no? Maybe a tad of honesty would put the kabosh on some of the goings on here if we had to pay these costs to operate. Maybe, having to refuel on those 24-jump journeys...stock food, medical....Hell, I play another game where the crew gets homesick and you have to sing to them or they'll riot and take over your ship
....toss you over the side.

Imagine if the actual energy costs for running a cyno or a jump portal (burn up the equivalent of a small planet in fuel) was imposed...that'd open up a lot of space. That'd also revamp the definition of who's actually l337 in these regions and who's just professional smack talkers hiding behind street mobs and PLEX resales.

Paradise is like where you are right now, only much, much better.

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#24 - 2014-09-14 00:00:05 UTC
Salah ad-Din al-Jawahiri wrote:
Charax Bouclier wrote:
Another disturbing thing to consider is the zealotry of suicide gankers. The capsuleer is not at mortal risk, but these savages apparently have no qualms about sacrificing 80 non-capsuleers for a dubious cause.


Even NPCs understand the importance of saving highsec, which is yet another proof that the Code always wins. As for the survival rate...

Stat. Avg. Survivor Rate is a notional average value for crew members and passengers combined, based on typical ship-to-ship scenarios. In cases where a ship gets one-shotted by a Titan super-weapon, for instance, there would most likely be no survivors at all; however, if a ship is slowly whittled down through armor and hull before blowing up, we can assume that maybe 80% or even 90% of its crew would get away in escape pods. (Source: https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/New_Eden_crew_guidelines)

As all of our gankers are higly qualified professionals who have mastered the ganking and CONCORD manipulation techniques to absolute perfection, our brave and muscular crews know exactly when to abandon their posts and flee the vessel in their escape pods, with the ship's functions that are used last (locking, tracking, and firing) assigned solely to the capsuleer.

I can't say the same thing about the slothful and cowardly crew members of carebears' mining barges, though.


Interesting point. Reminds me of when CCP talked about the art direction they went with the SoE ships. When I first started Eve, I had imagined a Pod was actually bigger and carried you and the crew during an ejection.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Hiply Rustic
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2014-09-14 02:26:21 UTC
Salah ad-Din al-Jawahiri wrote:
Ashlar Maidstone wrote:
Salah ad-Din al-Jawahiri wrote:
[quote=Charax Bouclier]Another disturbing thing to consider is the zealotry of suicide gankers. The capsuleer is not at mortal risk, but these savages apparently have no qualms about sacrificing 80 non-capsuleers for a dubious cause.


Even NPCs understand the importance of saving highsec, which is yet another proof that the Code always wins. As for the survival rate...

Code "always wins"??? Seems to me you and your kind are soooooooo misguided by the truth that not even the "LIGHT" will save ya.

Sorry OP, trying to get this back on topic...



Have I mentioned that the New Order crewmates also benchpress hundred kilos each?



That's not particularly impressive in space...

Ralph King-Griffin wrote: "Eve deliberately excludes the stupid and the weak willied." EvE: Only the strong-willied need apply.

Hiply Rustic
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2014-09-14 02:27:46 UTC
Crumplecorn wrote:
One angle I've read is that ISK is worth so much to non-capsuleers that even grand rewards for the crew of their ships would not make a noticable impact on their wallets, so they actually get paid very well if they survive.

In which case they are basically just risking everything they have in hopes of a big payout. Given the very good chances of never seeing that payout, you gotta wonder what kind of people would sign up for that, but it's their choice so whatever I guess. This sounds weirdly familiar.



Alternatively...press gangs.

Ralph King-Griffin wrote: "Eve deliberately excludes the stupid and the weak willied." EvE: Only the strong-willied need apply.

Miyammato Musashi
Freeport Exploration
Loosely Affiliated Pirates Alliance
#27 - 2014-09-14 02:31:09 UTC
Just posting to give props to the OP. I haven't seen a clever and "neat" post in the forums in quite some time. This put a smile on my face. It's a good idea.

+1

I am a meat popsicle. 

Yarda Black
The Black Redemption
#28 - 2014-09-14 07:32:51 UTC
I don't have a crew. Not a single ship of mine has anybody else on it but me.

Might be a personality clash. Don't care to be honest. Its MY ship.
Belt Scout
Thread Lockaholics Anonymous
#29 - 2014-09-14 08:02:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Belt Scout
Salah ad-Din al-Jawahiri wrote:
Ashlar Maidstone wrote:
Salah ad-Din al-Jawahiri wrote:
[quote=Charax Bouclier]Another disturbing thing to consider is the zealotry of suicide gankers. The capsuleer is not at mortal risk, but these savages apparently have no qualms about sacrificing 80 non-capsuleers for a dubious cause.


Even NPCs understand the importance of saving highsec, which is yet another proof that the Code always wins. As for the survival rate...

Code "always wins"??? Seems to me you and your kind are soooooooo misguided by the truth that not even the "LIGHT" will save ya.

Sorry OP, trying to get this back on topic...



Have I mentioned that the New Order crewmates also benchpress hundred kilos each?


Is this so they won't have any problems pushing the emergency logoff button?

Big smile

They say most of your brain shuts down on the EvE forums. All but the impatient side, and the sarcastic side. No wonder I'm still awake.

**This IS my main so STFU.

CCP Falcon
#30 - 2014-09-14 09:30:31 UTC
Crumplecorn wrote:
One angle I've read is that ISK is worth so much to non-capsuleers that even grand rewards for the crew of their ships would not make a noticable impact on their wallets, so they actually get paid very well if they survive.

In which case they are basically just risking everything they have in hopes of a big payout. Given the very good chances of never seeing that payout, you gotta wonder what kind of people would sign up for that, but it's their choice so whatever I guess. This sounds weirdly familiar.


This is pretty much it Smile

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

rofflesausage
State War Academy
Caldari State
#31 - 2014-09-14 10:10:41 UTC
Much like we pay for boosters, you should be able to overheat your staff, with the cost coming directly out of your wallet.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#32 - 2014-09-14 12:06:32 UTC
The Chronicle, "Hands of a Killer" covers the crew hiring process.
NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#33 - 2014-09-14 12:23:32 UTC
Why is it always flesh and blood with you guys?
Meat is faulty, has no parity checking and makes so many errors that it cant be trusted.
Far better to just upload your crew into some shells and then just real time stream the data over a fluid router
Sure its not as good as the whole being there, but seeing as they can now smell gamma rays they seem happy
Probably also because they ran off with all my Dust clones and are busy enjoying an immortality events when I am not needing them to telecommute
In fact perhaps my losses are due to them multitasking
Sure Ill blame it on that, keeps my ego happy and they are paid well enough to accept blame regardless.
Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#34 - 2014-09-14 12:27:49 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
The Chronicle, "Hands of a Killer" covers the crew hiring process.


I prefer this one....

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

mynnna
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#35 - 2014-09-14 18:23:09 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Crumplecorn wrote:
One angle I've read is that ISK is worth so much to non-capsuleers that even grand rewards for the crew of their ships would not make a noticable impact on their wallets, so they actually get paid very well if they survive.

In which case they are basically just risking everything they have in hopes of a big payout. Given the very good chances of never seeing that payout, you gotta wonder what kind of people would sign up for that, but it's their choice so whatever I guess. This sounds weirdly familiar.


This is pretty much it Smile



Yeah I vaguely recall reading a brief lore snippet about the crew of a surviving ship piloted by a member of a victorious alliance tournament team, and how one of them was going to retire to a resort planet on what the pilot had paid out...a whole 500,000 isk per crewmember.

Member of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal

Celeste Chang
Party Crashers
#36 - 2014-09-14 23:44:10 UTC
Think of all the people that died in all those battles....B-R5RB...Asakai...
NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#37 - 2014-09-15 00:15:14 UTC
Celeste Chang wrote:
Think of all the people that died in all those battles....B-R5RB...Asakai...

Meh its called department of human resources for a reason.
Dorian Wylde
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#38 - 2014-09-15 01:31:52 UTC
Gameplay story segregation. In the reality of EVE, there would likely be far fewer suicide gankers than in the game, for a variety of reasons, crew being one of the big ones. It's established that ships have to have crews to function. No matter how sadistic and uncaring a player tries to claim to be, in reality such people would get reputations fast, and even the most desperate crews would avoid them, thus they're ships would not function properly. Something can certainly be said for modifying ships specifically for suiciding, to avoid needing a crew. But again, that's something outside the scope of the game.
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2014-09-15 01:40:25 UTC
Celeste Chang wrote:
Think of all the people that died in all those battles....B-R5RB...Asakai...


Think about all the defense contractors working on toilets, plumbing, electrical work, etc. before the unfinished Death Star was blown up by anarchists.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

stoicfaux
#40 - 2014-09-15 01:59:15 UTC  |  Edited by: stoicfaux
Dorian Wylde wrote:
Gameplay story segregation. In the reality of EVE, there would likely be far fewer suicide gankers than in the game, for a variety of reasons, crew being one of the big ones. It's established that ships have to have crews to function. No matter how sadistic and uncaring a player tries to claim to be, in reality such people would get reputations fast, and even the most desperate crews would avoid them, thus they're ships would not function properly. Something can certainly be said for modifying ships specifically for suiciding, to avoid needing a crew. But again, that's something outside the scope of the game.

It's a lottery ticket[1]. According to the lore, a lot of the crew do manage to get out in escape pods. So, given how an "ISK" is possibly worth millions in local planetside currency, and that planetary populations run into the billions (~5,000 temperate planets in K-Space with a paltry billion people each would mean 5 trillion people to pull crew from,) the effective pool of crew members is effectively limitless.

[1] with much better odds than any real world lottery...

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Previous page123Next page