These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Balancing ships and ammo !

First post
Author
Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#121 - 2014-09-14 06:41:43 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
Correct. What I've been saying is that the current mechanics don't provide sufficient incentive to find and kill them, and don't provide sufficient disincentive for finding and killing well fit ships.

So what you're saying is that people don't want to put too much effort into a game they play for fun. What's the problem with that?
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#122 - 2014-09-14 06:42:32 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:

Correct. What I've been saying is that the current mechanics don't provide sufficient incentive to find and kill them, and don't provide sufficient disincentive for finding and killing well fit ships.

If it's actually well fit, and properly flown, it will pretty much never die unless someone else has a grudge against you.

The only reason anyone complains about it is because they died to a gank in an expensive bling ship, which is proof positive that they can't play the game correctly and therefore that their opinions are worthless.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#123 - 2014-09-14 06:44:00 UTC
Ria Nieyli wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

So what you're saying is that people don't want to put too much effort into a game they play for fun. What's the problem with that?

What I'm saying is that the current mechanics don't make it necessary or useful to put in the effort. An appropriate rebalance would steer people in that direction.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#124 - 2014-09-14 06:47:34 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
Ria Nieyli wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

What I'm saying is that the current mechanics don't make it necessary or useful to put in the effort. An appropriate rebalance would steer people in that direction.

Err, dude, you know the hours, sometimes days, of planning and scouting and gathering intel and sitting around waiting for their target?

You're just gonna dismiss that as 'not putting in the effort'?

It's sure as hell more effort than just sitting back and pushing ctrl-S.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#125 - 2014-09-14 06:48:29 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:

I'm really not sure what you are trying to say...

1. Yes, anti-ganking is great for advice on avoiding ganks.

2. Using bumping to trap a ship for 50 minutes, causing the owner to quit the game...and the rubbing it in with "can I haz your stuff" is exactly the kind of garbage I would like to see less of. Enjoy your kill and shut up. Don't look to elicit emotional reactions.

3. Yes, I think bumping is being used in an abusive way. I would like to see more freighters pop, but from dps, not from trapping due to bumping.

4. Yes, I think wardeccs should not be used to force people into PvP without CONCORD. Go suicide gank them if you want to kill them.

I'm still trying to figure out what any of your posts "prove." Do try and do a better job in the future.

1. And yet here you are, having lost an expensive ship to a horde of Catalysts which can't cloak and can't hide in Local. Your solution to this loss is to change the game mechanics so that you can continue to operate blind to your own immediate surroundings. Was this the sort of "great" advice you're advocating?

2. I disagree, CCP disagrees, your topic is locked and long gone. Use F&I if you'd like.. the forum is there for this exact purpose.

3. Freighters pop largely because pilots are lazy. I like laziness as the primary cause of freighter death in hisec. I don't know what 'dps' means as a cause. Did the freighter just magically place itself within shooting distance of a bunch of guns? I think you should step back a little and take a look at the set of circumstances that bring a gank together, not just how many DPS or EHP one ship or another has. Your DPS/EHP diatribe also demonstrates a lack of understanding for the complex balancing work CCP does.

4. I disagree, CCP disagrees, see my point number two.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#126 - 2014-09-14 06:49:19 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
Ria Nieyli wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

Ah, but I do say, a rebalance is not needed. Given enough time, the people that can improve to the point where they stop getting ganked will do so, leaving only less skilled players as targets. In fact, I'd say that it's already happening.
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#127 - 2014-09-14 06:53:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Veers Belvar
Sibyyl wrote:

1. And yet here you are, having lost an expensive ship to a horde of Catalysts which can't cloak and can't hide in Local. Your solution to this loss is to change the game mechanics so that you can continue to operate blind to your own immediate surroundings. Was this the sort of "great" advice you're advocating?

2. I disagree, CCP disagrees, your topic is locked and long gone. Use F&I if you'd like.. the forum is there for this exact purpose.

3. Freighters pop largely because pilots are lazy. I like laziness as the primary cause of freighter death in hisec. I don't know what 'dps' means as a cause. Did the freighter just magically place itself within shooting distance of a bunch of guns? I think you should step back a little and take a look at the set of circumstances that bring a gank together, not just how many DPS or EHP one ship or another has. Your DPS/EHP diatribe also demonstrates a lack of understanding for the complex balancing work CCP does.

4. I disagree, CCP disagrees, see my point number two.

Ok, its late and this conversation is kind of stale. I don't think we are communicating here. Last post on this tonight.

1. Read more carefully next time. I, as always, did not lose my ship. The unique circumstances there were unfortunate. And yes, I do believe it should be harder to kill my expensive combat battleship.

2. Topic is not locked - see my extensive contributions to the bumping thread. I am advocating for positive change.

3. Whatever. I would nerf the bumping trick and also nerf freighter ehp. Problem solved.

4. Actually CCP agrees, my post was defending their allowing 1 man corps to dodge wardeccs. So...well... another FAIL
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#128 - 2014-09-14 06:56:35 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:

Ok, its late and this conversation is kind of stale. I don't think we are communicating here. Last post on this tonight.

You're right. Never imagined I'd say that to you, but you are right.

You're doing lots of talking, but very little listening.

Congratulations on being right about something. There may be hope for you yet.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#129 - 2014-09-14 06:59:02 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

Don't worry, it took me about 5 minutes to realize that I wasn't getting anything useful from your comments and it was time to stop listening. I remain very happy with the way I play the game. Thanks.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#130 - 2014-09-14 07:02:46 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

Don't worry, it took me about 5 minutes to realize that I wasn't getting anything useful from your comments and it was time to stop listening. I remain very happy with the way I play the game. Thanks.

You never started listening. That's why you got nothing useful.

Cancel Align NOW
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#131 - 2014-09-14 07:04:07 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:

The effort put into executing any type of gank is an exponential factor of effort that the gank target puts in. The quality of the target's fit is pretty much irrelevant.
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#132 - 2014-09-14 07:04:34 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:

I don't see any of us complaining about game mechanics. Does it occur to you to examine how to play the game to see whether it is at fault (in any way) for the events that have sparked your string of comments in this thread?

Could you at least explain how you missed the multiboxer on Dscan? I apologize if you've provided an answer, but I seem to have missed it.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#133 - 2014-09-14 07:07:29 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:

Fine, maybe it was unfair of me to start attacking other posts of yours out of context. I think you can agree that your fundamental views on hisec are quite antithetical to the views some others in thread support?

Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#134 - 2014-09-14 07:09:00 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

I don't see any of us complaining about game mechanics. Does it occur to you to examine how to play the game to see whether it is at fault (in any way) for the events that have sparked your string of comments in this thread?

Could you at least explain how you missed the multiboxer on Dscan? I apologize if you've provided an answer, but I seem to have missed it.

Actually if you look through other threads you can see most of the posters here complaining about various game mechanics and calling for significant nerfs to safety in highsec. Some want to abolish / massively nerf NPC Corps, etc...

I was warping to an incursion site. These sites are on the system overview for everyone. The multiboxer was probably bouncing from site to site among the 5 sites, hence I never had a chance to use Dscan.
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#135 - 2014-09-14 07:09:56 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

Fine, maybe it was unfair of me to start attacking other posts of yours out of context. I think you can agree that your fundamental views on hisec are quite antithetical to the views some others in thread support?

Well, that's fair enough. I definitely have deep disagreements with Remiel, Kauuros, Baltec1, etc....
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#136 - 2014-09-14 07:12:39 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
Sibyyl wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

Actually if you look through other threads you can see most of the posters here complaining about various game mechanics and calling for significant nerfs to safety in highsec. Some want to abolish / massively nerf NPC Corps, etc...

I was warping to an incursion site. These sites are on the system overview for everyone. The multiboxer was probably bouncing from site to site among the 5 sites, hence I never had a chance to use Dscan.

You had every chance to use dscan. I'm always clicking it, even in the middle of a fight.

Cancel Align NOW
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#137 - 2014-09-14 07:13:07 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:

You know that you can narrow dscan down to 15 degrees and that dscan range is centred on camera angle and has nothing to do with where you are heading. In a 20 sec warp a well practised pilot can dscan 5 incursion sites.
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#138 - 2014-09-14 07:16:01 UTC
Cancel Align NOW wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

You know that you can narrow dscan down to 15 degrees and that dscan range is centred on camera angle and has nothing to do with where you are heading. In a 20 sec warp a well practised pilot can dscan 5 incursion sites.

I was warping to an incursion site 60 au from the dockup. How would dscan help find the catas that were bouncing around? I had no idea they were in sys....and even if i found them on scan it would be too late to do anything about it. They happened to meet me at the gate by sheer luck. There was nothing to do about it, thankfully I survived.
Yarda Black
The Black Redemption
#139 - 2014-09-14 07:21:56 UTC
Let me tell you about your mistake OP:

You're putting that 22 billion ISK Marauder in a gankable situation.

If you want it to survive, put it somewhere else. A place where all those destroyers are blown up 9 jumps before they even get close to where you and that shiny are. Because there's dudes going all wild screaming "TARGETS!" and "KILLMAILS!"
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#140 - 2014-09-14 07:23:50 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:

All I have to say is.. as someone who's warped into an explo site only to find someone decloaking on grid, your problem contains one less complication (the cloaking), a significantly greater defensive advantage, a bunch of additional clues (multiboxer), and an eventual CONCORD response.

Is yours a worse problem than mine? I'm not advocating for any changes, obviously.