These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A Reminder Regarding Real Life Harassment

First post First post First post
Author
evepal
Scholar of Rationality
#841 - 2014-09-13 00:39:34 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
evepal wrote:
Whilst I appreciate the attempt, it's unfortunate that the cleaning removed your examples. There's a lot of context to my quote, as it's following a series of questioning, building upon the latter. It's most probable that you had that in mind when responding, but the clearing has lost the contextual meaning of that chain of reasoning.

Here's an attempt at a definition suitably for use in EVE (certainly not complete).

"Harassment" is defined such that it:
1) Generally doesn't include in game actions (with some notable, but well defined exceptions).
2) Does include speech, regardless of medium, and out of game actions that fit any of the following criteria:
  • consist of threatened violence to anyone outside the game
  • consist of any other threats to anyone outside the game
  • include out of game personal information not disclosed by the recipient to the sender
  • are part of a pattern of explicitly unwanted communication

• "Hurt Feelings" are a subjective result and thus cannot be part of a ruleset. I can get my feelings hurt by someone taking my queen in Chess; that doesn't mean they're wrong for doing so.

Again, it's probably a little light (i.e. may need some more bullet points), but I think it pretty well lays out the difference between Harassment and Hurt Feelings.

That's much better, thank you for your efforts. I would add to the criteria that harassment includes targeted offense at a trait of the person, and not their character. An example could be the ethnicity of the person or a disability, for sake of clarity.

With the inclusion of that, I find no fault with how it's currently presented, personally. Of course, the exceptions to the in game actions are a potential vice, but as they're not stated, I have no issue. It serves a good foundation to be clarified if necessary.

RubyPorto wrote:
    I get that you were aiming for a big socratic method reveal, but I suspect you'll be disappointed.

Disappointment carries the connotation that I have some sort of hope or expectation as to the conclusion of the discussion, this is contrary to what I've stated before. Though you're correct in that I was in the midst of a socratic method, which is why I said it lost its context.
    evepal
    Scholar of Rationality
    #842 - 2014-09-13 00:49:39 UTC  |  Edited by: evepal
    Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
    Why is that? If I don't know anything beyond the character name, then who I am actually attacking.

I don't think you need to know some ones identity in order to know real life information about them. You could call them by their character name, whilst mocking their ethnicity or their disability. I don't think you not knowing what they're called absolves you from harassing them. That's what I'm trying to make clear. You can pick up that information, without having to know their real name, be that of their disclosure or through working it out via signs -- like their accent.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
    Quite a few of the people agreeing with you think otherwise. There has been more than one post in this thread, and dozens on the EVE subreddit, that suggest that the "winner" of an in game confrontation is not permitted to have any satisfaction from his victory whatsoever, or CCP should ban them.

Those are the people that we are lining up to tell to **** off.

The problem is, their argument is based upon false cause. It's usually best to have a discussion, so they become educated on this. As for others, they clearly have intent of their own, and they're trapped in a circular argument. Begging the question.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

If you stayed for six hours in a voluntary voice chat, you did so of your own free will.

As for insulting nationality, if you're around me and you're Canadian, you've gotten it from me more than once. "You put the duh in Canaduh", and various references to Kraft Dinner and curling. We're all adults, some ribbing is well within bounds, and what is not is already covered under the rules against trolling.

Do you think though that's harassment of the player, or their in game character?
    Hiasa Kite
    Brutor Tribe
    Minmatar Republic
    #843 - 2014-09-13 02:03:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Hiasa Kite
    I'm going to try and define the difference between role playing a criminal in EVE Online and being a real life bully.

How do we define common decency? Common decency is an expectation to adhere to social convention. As an example, if in a public place you encounter another person crying, you could treat that person in one of three basic ways:

1) Ask them what's wrong and try to help them
    2) Ignore them and walk on
    3) Laugh at them, grab your phone and record them in their emotional state

It's pretty clear to all of us that only the first two options are acceptable. The first is obviously the 'nice' thing to do, but no one would cast judgement on somebody who simply didn't want any drama. The third, by any standard is obviously just cruel and unnecessary.

In EVE, many of our actions cause upset for other players. Sometimes we beat them in a duel, or we gank their hauler or maybe they get scammed. Many players in those situations would dust themselves off and carry on playing, a little wiser (and poorer). Some, however, would fly off the handle, screaming, cursing and ultimately making a spectacle of themselves. To any EVE player, anyone reacting like the latter would be told to calm down and HTFU. It is after all, the nature of EVE.

So, where is the line? When is it acceptable to tell a player to HTFU and when are we expected to leave them be, or better yet, help them?

I believe that if my actions would result in another player being upset that I need to ask myself the following question:

What does my in game character stand to gain as a result of my actions?

Consider the following:

While playing my character Hiasa Kite, I encounter another character called Stupid Noob. I convince Stupid Noob to contract to me all his stuff with the promise that I will triple his wealth afterward (a clever lie). To facilitate the scam, I invite him to join me on a TeamSpeak server. This will allow us to communicate faster and more clearly. As Stupid Noob is handing his stuff over, I ask Stupid Noob to sing songs for me and we have a good laugh. Even Stupid Noob, despite being the victim of a scam is in high spirits because he isn't aware of the nature of his situation. He even laughs with us, fully aware of how tone deaf he is.

Once the penny drops for Stupid Noob (and the player controlling him) that he's been scammed, he's obviously going to be upset; this shouldn't surprise anyone. At this point, I need to ask myself the question that defines the difference between playing EVE and being a bully.

Can I justify my actions? What has Hiasa Kite gained from this event? Of course, Hiasa is now considerably wealthier. My actions as a real life person are justified by the benefits to my in-game character.

But what happens after the scam? My mark has figured me out or maybe I've successfully robbed him of all his virtual-wordly possessions. At this point, the character Hiasa Kite has already gained everything he can from Stupid Noob. Hiasa's sole interest in Stupid was Stupid's space pixels, which Hiasa now owns. At this point, Hiasa has no reason whatsoever to continue the conversation with Stupid.

I can no longer justify remaining on TeamSpeak with the scam victim because Hiasa Kite would consider staying a waste of his time. Without any in-game justification for my actions, it stands to reason my only reason to stay and record Stupid Noob's tantrum is for my personal amusement. At this point, I am no longer role playing Hiasa Kite, the hardened space criminal in EVE Online. At this point, I'm just a real life a**hole.

=====

I hope this post does its job of satisfying many players' concerns that the definition of "real life harassment" is too vague to be enforceable. While I don't expect further clarification from CCP on the matter, I do hope that other players can use this as a guide that helps them gauge when they've pushed their game too far.

=====

While there are concerns regarding CCP's position on events that occur outside their servers, it's an entirely different kettle of fish and separate discussion in itself.

"Playing an MMO by yourself is like masturbating in the middle of an orgy." -Jonah Gravenstein

Remiel Pollard
    Aliastra
    Gallente Federation
    #844 - 2014-09-13 02:48:38 UTC
    La Rynx wrote:
    James Amril-Kesh wrote:

Remiel was playing EVE in a perfectly acceptable and legitimate way.

He did a lot of things. I dont know the details, but no wonder he is a posts a lot here.
    His way of playing and his account maybe in danger of a future ban.

I'm sure it's a lot for you to conceive a smile on my face as I read this. My dear, if I was worried about the status of my account, I wouldn't be drawing so much attention to it. I don't flirt with bannable offenses but today, I'll be looking for them. Actively. Have you got a poorly named ship or POS in space? Reported. Is your bio a breech of the EULA? Reported. Did you just call someone something bigoted in local because you were mad? Reported. Was it me? reported reported reported.

Oh and believe you me, I won't have to do much differently to what I normally do to come across this stuff. I already know of at least two POS's named offensively, they are my first target for this morning. And of course, if I can't find anything myself, it won't be hard to find CODE and the vitriol being flung at them.

#OpReportAllTheThings

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Ima Wreckyou
    The Conference Elite
    Safety.
    #845 - 2014-09-13 02:48:56 UTC
    I just feel that there is an issue from inside CCP where some people are not comfortable with some gameplay like ganking, awoxing, scamming, etc. and it just seams like they influence this decisions.

I just don't get why people who make someone sing and rage on TS get a permabann and people who threaten to spoil my family and set my house on fire are still in the game (You now you clever CCP folks, you don't tell us what action you take, but there is something called the watchlist...). It seams out of proportion to me.

Just to clarify, I am not here to justify or defend any actions that may have caused this bans. I simply try to state my discomfort as it seams that this decisions may somewhat be biased, because there are people inside CCP who consider actions like ganking, awoxing, scamming etc. grief play.
    Anslo
    Scope Works
    #846 - 2014-09-13 02:55:06 UTC
    You nerds are still victim blaming? Go play eve and stop bitching.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Remiel Pollard
    Aliastra
    Gallente Federation
    #847 - 2014-09-13 03:15:29 UTC
    Anslo wrote:
    You nerds are still victim blaming? Go play eve and stop bitching.

We're all nerds here, 'Slo, and you've had plenty of victims of your own, I'm sure.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Ssabat Thraxx
    DUST Expeditionary Team
    Good Sax
    #848 - 2014-09-13 03:41:28 UTC
    Gregor Parud wrote:
    Ssabat Thraxx wrote:
    Gregor Parud wrote:

I see that you're trying very hard, which is always hilarious. And the answer is no, they don't nor do they have to. If the rule is "don't be a **** or we'll kick you off the bus" and they see you being a **** just outside the bus they're perfectly within their right to say "stay out of my bus, I don't want your money".

Really not difficult to comprehend. But keep threadnaughting and e-lawyering because it's entertaining as hell.

Your analogy is flawed. A better one would be that you've been riding the bus for a couple of years. While on the bus you engage in some form of behavior every day. Every day you do the same thing on the bus, and the bus driver doesnt seem to have a problem with it. Then, out of the blue one day, the bus driver kicks you off the bus. He doesnt give a reason, but the following day he makes a vague statement about the form of behavior you had always engaged in was now against the rules. A couple of weeks later he kicks your friends off the bus, too.

I am but a passenger on that bus. I'd like to know what the rules are so that I don't get a surprise kick off the bus as well.

"Your Honour, when we robbed that bank no one told us we shouldn't have done it. No police officer came to our door telling us to stop so we just assumed that made it ok to do and kept doing it. It's just not fair [stamp foot] that you send us to jail for something no one told us to not do!"

Thats a truly terrible analogy. So bad I wonder if you're even serious.

People know it's against "the rules," (the law) to rob a bank. One of the main themes of this thread is that CCP will not clarify what, exactly, the rules are.

Try harder.

\m/ O.o \m/

"You're a freak ..." - Solecist Project

Ssabat Thraxx
    DUST Expeditionary Team
    Good Sax
    #849 - 2014-09-13 03:56:20 UTC
    Veers Belvar wrote:
    There is a perfect example of the kind of reprehensible conduct I'm talking about at https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=199310&p=27

After using bumping to trap a freighter, and the pilot choosing to self destruct rather than pay a ransom, the pilot came on the Eve forums to complain about the bumping mechanic and state that he was quitting the game. Instead of the ganker just being happy with the loot and moving, he came to the forum to rub it in with the comment "Can i haz ur stuffs?. The sole purpose is to further antagonize an already upset person for "tear harvesting" purposes. That's the kind of garbage that serves no purpose, leads to the kind of insults, etc... that we would like to avoid, and should have no place in the game.

Christ, how old are you people? Going to school as a child must have had some seriously traumatic moments for some of you, given the level of hyper sensitivity displayed. Some goober in a video game rubs it in that he killed you ,and it becomes an issue? Really? Call the guy an ******* and move on, maybe?

I'm not sure if I had even reached kindergarten yet when I was taught that "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

HTFU doesnt even begin to cover it. How 'bout GTFU? Grow The **** Up.

\m/ O.o \m/

Remiel Pollard
    Aliastra
    Gallente Federation
    #850 - 2014-09-13 03:58:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
    Ssabat Thraxx wrote:
    Gregor Parud wrote:
    Ssabat Thraxx wrote:
    Gregor Parud wrote:

I see that you're trying very hard, which is always hilarious. And the answer is no, they don't nor do they have to. If the rule is "don't be a **** or we'll kick you off the bus" and they see you being a **** just outside the bus they're perfectly within their right to say "stay out of my bus, I don't want your money".

Really not difficult to comprehend. But keep threadnaughting and e-lawyering because it's entertaining as hell.

Your analogy is flawed. A better one would be that you've been riding the bus for a couple of years. While on the bus you engage in some form of behavior every day. Every day you do the same thing on the bus, and the bus driver doesnt seem to have a problem with it. Then, out of the blue one day, the bus driver kicks you off the bus. He doesnt give a reason, but the following day he makes a vague statement about the form of behavior you had always engaged in was now against the rules. A couple of weeks later he kicks your friends off the bus, too.

I am but a passenger on that bus. I'd like to know what the rules are so that I don't get a surprise kick off the bus as well.

"Your Honour, when we robbed that bank no one told us we shouldn't have done it. No police officer came to our door telling us to stop so we just assumed that made it ok to do and kept doing it. It's just not fair [stamp foot] that you send us to jail for something no one told us to not do!"

Thats a truly terrible analogy. So bad I wonder if you're even serious.

People know it's against "the rules," (the law) to rob a bank. One of the main themes of this thread is that CCP will not clarify what, exactly, the rules are.

Try harder.

No, that's not why this analogy is bad.

It's bad because it's not against the rules to steal in EVE. It is, in fact, encouraged.

I was going to let him have this delusion but since you got into it, I thought it worth steering in the right direction, at least.

Helene Fidard
    CTRL-Q
    #851 - 2014-09-13 04:03:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Helene Fidard
    Snupe Doggur wrote:
    It's like no one ever heard of Ray Rice.

I agree that it's good the NFL (eventually) accepted third-party evidence.

ed: thought experiment. A line is drawn. In two different harassment cases, two GMs make two wrong judgements:
    "You've clearly crossed the line, but we're letting you off because reasons."
    "You came awfully close to the line, but shucks, you're just too clever for me, wily player. Go about your business."

Which of these scenarios would you consider "likely"? How do these scenarios compare to the enforcement of today's non-rules?

Hey! I don't know about you

but I'm joining CTRL-Q

Ssabat Thraxx
    DUST Expeditionary Team
    Good Sax
    #852 - 2014-09-13 04:08:57 UTC
    Veers Belvar wrote:
    Remiel Pollard wrote:
    Veers Belvar wrote:
    I feel...

Well there's your problem right there. Objective policy moderation cannot be based on feelings. Especially yours.

Good derail. Objective moderation can be based on disallowing comments that serve no purpose other than to further inflame already upset people for the sole purpose of getting them to make angry comments which can then publicly be posted to humiliate them. Ganking, scamming, etc...fine. Do it to your heart's content. And feel free to reach out to the victim and explain what you did, and teach him a new aspect of gameplay, if he is receptive. But there is no reason to comment just to **** him off more, []and see if you can drive him to things like racial epithets, real life threats, etc.... that are against the game rules. It's not rocket science, it's just common decency.

Now we're getting ot the heart of the matter. There's a whole generation, maybe 2 now, that have been raised to believe that people are not responsible for their own actions. It's like the murderer who pleads in court that it's wasnt really his fault that he murdered someone, why, it's society's fault! Society made him this way!

YOU and YOU ALONE are responsible for your words and actions. Christ didnt any of you people have parents? It is never acceptable to engage in behavior thatis illegal, against the rules, whatever, because of something someone said to you, no matter how bad what they said is.

Not that it matters, but now *I* am offended by such bullshit.! This is a perfect example of what's wrong with the world. Now I'm pissed off. If I start making threats to people who have made posts I find offensive, are you going to rally to my defense, Veers?

\m/ O.o \m/

Ssabat Thraxx
    DUST Expeditionary Team
    Good Sax
    #853 - 2014-09-13 04:19:02 UTC
    Remiel Pollard wrote:
    Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
    Andski wrote:
    i also find it hilarious that he believes he's important enough to be shown evidence

i guess he was told he was special as a child, and this gives him that notion
    Generation Y poster child?

I never got this generational thing. All I know is I was born in the 80s, and nothing good came out of the 80s. Pirate

You were just too young to appreciate the 80's. Man, back then, not only did MTV actually show music videos, most of them were ROCK music videos! I know that correlation does not prove causality, but the decline of western civilization seemed to parallel MTV's descent into playing nothing but (c)rap videos, and then switching to no music at all, just umpteen horrible "reality" show's like "16 and Pregnant."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOBfpHv1VcI
    Tell it like it is, Jello Cool

\m/ O.o \m/

Ssabat Thraxx
    DUST Expeditionary Team
    Good Sax
    #854 - 2014-09-13 04:29:17 UTC
    Mike Azariah wrote:
    Andski wrote:

those of us who have dealt with GMs in the past know that they aren't consistent and that they are far from impartial

In other words, they are human?

m

Humans can't be impartial?

\m/ O.o \m/

Remiel Pollard
    Aliastra
    Gallente Federation
    #855 - 2014-09-13 04:35:18 UTC
    Ssabat Thraxx wrote:
    Remiel Pollard wrote:
    Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
    Andski wrote:
    i also find it hilarious that he believes he's important enough to be shown evidence

i guess he was told he was special as a child, and this gives him that notion
    Generation Y poster child?

I never got this generational thing. All I know is I was born in the 80s, and nothing good came out of the 80s. Pirate

You were just too young to appreciate the 80's. Man, back then, not only did MTV actually show music videos, most of them were ROCK music videos! I know that correlation does not prove causality, but the decline of western civilization seemed to parallel MTV's descent into playing nothing but (c)rap videos, and then switching to no music at all, just umpteen horrible "reality" show's like "16 and Pregnant."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOBfpHv1VcI
    Tell it like it is, Jello Cool

Nonono, that's not what I said Twisted

I said, nothing good CAME OUT of the 80s. It might have had good stuff, but it never managed to escape the 80s, it just got stuck there. P

Ssabat Thraxx
    DUST Expeditionary Team
    Good Sax
    #856 - 2014-09-13 04:46:04 UTC
    MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
    But how much empathy could you have for someone like this? They enjoy making others angry, upset, and miserable for cheap laughs and giggles.

Thats exactly what myl little brother used to do to me when we were kids. Our mother would often tell me, "he's just doing this to make you mad, to get a reaction out of you, so dont let him upset you like that."

In retrospect, Im glad she didnt kick my brother out of the house, and her advice about not letting someone "get to you" has served me well in life. And in EVE Blink

\m/ O.o \m/

IIshira
    School of Applied Knowledge
    Caldari State
    #857 - 2014-09-13 04:51:00 UTC
    Ima Wreckyou wrote:
    I just feel that there is an issue from inside CCP where some people are not comfortable with some gameplay like ganking, awoxing, scamming, etc. and it just seams like they influence this decisions.

Maybe they should stop encouraging it. To ban someone for a type of game play they encourage seems ridiculous.

Ima Wreckyou wrote:
    I just don't get why people who make someone sing and rage on TS get a permabann and people who threaten to spoil my family and set my house on fire are still in the game (You now you clever CCP folks, you don't tell us what action you take, but there is something called the watchlist...). It seams out of proportion to me.

It's not the guys fault. He was emotionally upset because someone destroyed his in game items so he lost control and threatened to murder people in real life. I mean if that nasty ganker wasn't so mean to him he wouldn't have had to make such threats to protect his in game assets.
    Ssabat Thraxx
    DUST Expeditionary Team
    Good Sax
    #858 - 2014-09-13 04:56:36 UTC
    La Rynx wrote:
    RubyPorto wrote:

And there you are blaming them for being such.

guys fishing for emotional reactions maybe victims, but are they innocent?

Um, when someone is a victim, it doesnt matter if they're "innocent" or not.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

\m/ O.o \m/

Ssabat Thraxx
    DUST Expeditionary Team
    Good Sax
    #859 - 2014-09-13 05:04:12 UTC
    Only giving my personal opinion here.

evepal wrote:
    I'm going to try and bring this topic back on to track.

The questions that I'd like to see answered are:

Should CCP ban players for causing real life harassment, if the origin of their relationship was EvE or they're using assets within EvE to facilitate/aid that harassment?

No to the first part. No matter how I meet someone, real life is outside the purview of CCP's oversight. If I meet irl someone who I'd met on Eve, and we end up in a fistfight at the pub, that's none of CCP's business. That said, if in-game assets are used to harass someone by nature of holdingthem ransom, etc, THEN I can see CCP stepping in. Additionally, I think if CCP does step in, they should let the community know why, exactly.

Quote:

Should CCP publicly divulge information into their investigation and the outcome of that, if it was a ban? and is this decision pivotal on the popularity of the case, or the person at question?

A simple "Such an Such was banned because he did THIS.." would suffice. Whats with CCP creating an atmosphere or fear in the playerbase?

Quote:

Should CCP provide statements on a investigation, if that information is made public not of CCPs doing? Of course, this question is a follow up to the last one.

If someone other than CCP makes information pertaining to a "case" in question, I think it wouldbe important for CCP to at least state whether the information being pubished is true or not.

Also, I'd just like to throw in here that being a prick is not a crime.

\m/ O.o \m/

Ssabat Thraxx
    DUST Expeditionary Team
    Good Sax
    #860 - 2014-09-13 05:18:43 UTC
    evepal wrote:

Though, suppose this completely hypothetical: I invited you onto a VOIP program, insulted you for 6 hours ranging from your nationality to implying the way you talked inferred your sexual orientation, and then uploaded that with the intent to share to others, for them to laugh.

In that hypothetical situation, would you deem them harassing the character, or the person behind it? Should CCP ban me for having met each other on the forums, and escalating it from there?

This is where things all go to hell, IMO. Why? Because the fact of the matter is that somewhere in the SIX ******* HOURS of abuse, the victim could and should have left. Now whats going to happen is someone is going to quote that and say that I am "blaming the victim." In truth I am not. This person was free to leave at any time and CHOSE not to. Thats not even remotely similar to "blaming the victim" ala a woman is sexually assaulted and someone says she was "asking for it" because of how she was dressed. In that example, the victim did not have the opportunity to end the encounter at any time she wished.

I'm of the opinion that any HONEST and rational-thinking person can see the difference. I dont have a lot of hope here in these forums.

\m/ O.o \m/