These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A Reminder Regarding Real Life Harassment

First post First post First post
Author
evepal
Scholar of Rationality
#821 - 2014-09-12 21:11:06 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
[...]

As a victim of harassment, do you believe CCP should ban players who harass others?
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#822 - 2014-09-12 21:12:00 UTC
Snupe Doggur wrote:
evepal wrote:
There's a 3 hour recording on sound-cloud of a man and his wife taken past breaking point, when they already had possession of all his assets. Not only did they not stop when it when it was clear that the man was agitated well beyond necessary, but they further increased their efforts to humiliate him. To top this off, they then uploaded the audio of this as a trophy for what great job they had done to these individuals, and shared them publicly.

Now, I absolutely love scamming and making people sing for their pod (even if they still blow it up anyway). I however, do not appreciate when people find it necessary to break an individual down to point of physical distress for the sake of self enjoyment alone...

And all the whining and demanding of specific directives is just players trying to gain an edge in the game they choose to play in the real world by exploiting CCP assets, tarring CCP's name by association.

Anyone demanding detailed, specific instructions on how not to get banned for harrassment, pony up! You go first. Post links to your audio captures. You want specifics? Provide your own, because that's how you find out what's behind the curtain. TOS and EULA make that much perfectly clear.

No? Worried that that audio might get you banned? Then reevaluate your behavior. What you are afraid to post is exactly what CCP wants you afraid to do.

There's your line. You draw it. Wherever you feel comfortable.

This is where we are now

This is what you and CCP think we want, and have been using as a strawman

This is what we actually want

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#823 - 2014-09-12 21:14:17 UTC
evepal wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
[...]

As a victim of harassment, do you believe CCP should ban players who harass others?

I think CCP should ban actual out of game harassment of a real person.

Not for hurt feelings.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

evepal
Scholar of Rationality
#824 - 2014-09-12 21:16:59 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
evepal wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
[...]

I think CCP should ban actual out of game harassment of a real person.

Not for hurt feelings.

So how do you define the difference between harassment of a real person and hurt feelings?
Helene Fidard
CTRL-Q
#825 - 2014-09-12 21:20:29 UTC

This, so much.

The rules about real-life harassment right now are a grey area, because CCP won't define what they are. Keep your grey area, but define where the grey area stops.

Just because you are firm about what is absolutely not allowed doesn't mean you have to throw away discretion in all other cases.

Hey! I don't know about you

but I'm joining CTRL-Q

evepal
Scholar of Rationality
#826 - 2014-09-12 21:22:27 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

Can you provide an example to back up this claim where this line has moved?
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#827 - 2014-09-12 21:23:18 UTC
evepal wrote:

So how do you define the difference between harassment of a real person and hurt feelings?

"You'll figure it out".

Or, since I am not an inveterate jackass with something to hide...

Real life harassment is involved when you are making an attack on the person behind the keyboard. This explicitly requires knowledge of who that person actually is. Doxxing someone is real life harassment. Sending them a picture of their own house with "See Ya Soon" scrawled in red through the in game mail client is real life harassment. Calling their family and/or real life employer is real life harassment.

Laughing at someone who got ganked is not. Laughing at someone who got scammed is not. Blowing up someone's ship repeatedly is not. Those are all directed at and revolve around an exclusively in game action.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#828 - 2014-09-12 21:25:20 UTC
evepal wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

Can you provide an example to back up this claim where this line has moved?

This thread.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#829 - 2014-09-12 21:26:56 UTC
Here, in case I was unclear.

"Kaarous Aldurald" is not a real person. He is a character in a videogame. Absolutely ANYTHING that happens to him or his possessions in the context of a permissible in game action is fair game.

"Blankety Blankblank, who lives in Blankville, Blankistan" is a real person.

Best Meltdown Ever.

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#830 - 2014-09-12 21:29:33 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
RubyPorto wrote:

But this is all wildly off topic, and I would have thought that the ISDs wouldn't dive into a discussion solely to engage in an off-topic tangent. Oops

Even worse, deleting posts to make it seem as if they never happened. If you delete posts, you should certainly post that you are doing so and why to at least maintain some semblance of transparency. You know, just like every ISD does always (or at least, I hope).

True on both accounts, my apologies.

Yes, I am have been in the process of cleaning this thread and forgot to post as such as we normally do.

I have removed some rule breaking posts and those quoting them. This time I let a lot of edge cases stay.
Please people, keep it on topic and above all civil!

The Rules:
4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

5. Trolling is prohibited.

Trolling is a defined as a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting other players in an attempt to incite retaliation or an emotional response. Posts of this nature are disruptive, often abusive and do not contribute to the sense of community that CCP promote.

12. Discussion of forum moderation is prohibited.

The discussion of EVE Online forum moderation actions generally leads to flaming, trolling and baiting of our ISD CCL moderators. As such, this type of discussion is strictly prohibited under the forum rules. If you have questions regarding the actions of a moderator, please file a petition under the Community & Forums Category.

27. Off-topic posting is prohibited.

Off-topic posting is permitted within reason, as sometimes a single comment may color or lighten the tone of discussion. However, excessive posting of off-topic remarks in an attempt to derail a thread may result in the thread being locked, or a forum warning being issued to the off-topic poster.

31. Abuse of CCP employees and ISD volunteers is prohibited.

CCP operate a zero tolerance policy on abuse of CCP employees and ISD volunteers. This includes but is not limited to personal attacks, trolling, “outing” of CCP employee or ISD volunteer player identities, and the use of any former player identities when referring to the aforementioned parties.
Our forums are designed to be a place where players and developers can exchange ideas in a polite and friendly manner for the betterment of EVE Online. Players who attack or abuse employees of CCP, or ISD volunteers, will be permanently banned from the EVE Online forums across all their accounts with no recourse, and may also be subject to action against their game accounts.

Thread re-opened.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#831 - 2014-09-12 22:08:49 UTC
Huh. Somehow we managed to stay on page 42.

evepal
Scholar of Rationality
#832 - 2014-09-12 22:10:39 UTC  |  Edited by: evepal
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Real life harassment is involved when you are making an attack on the person behind the keyboard. This explicitly requires knowledge of who that person actually is. Doxxing someone is real life harassment. Sending them a picture of their own house with "See Ya Soon" scrawled in red through the in game mail client is real life harassment. Calling their family and/or real life employer is real life harassment.

See, this is where I disagree. I don't think you need to know the person, in order to attack them out of game. If you remove the question of whose identity it is, then I agree. The points following doxxing, are examples of harassment and in the one case "See Ya Soon" can be be extended as far as threats, and those are clearly a case for the judicial system, and not just a ban in a video game.

Such as: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/aug/29/police-officer-arrested-facebook-trolling

(Incidentally in this case, it's a person who didn't know the victim prior to the trolling, who was found guilty.)

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Laughing at someone who got ganked is not. Laughing at someone who got scammed is not. Blowing up someone's ship repeatedly is not. Those are all directed at and revolve around an exclusively in game action.

I too agree that laughing at another persons misfortune isn't grounds for harassment.

Though, suppose this completely hypothetical: I invited you onto a VOIP program, insulted you for 6 hours ranging from your nationality to implying the way you talked inferred your sexual orientation, and then uploaded that with the intent to share to others, for them to laugh.

In that hypothetical situation, would you deem them harassing the character, or the person behind it? Should CCP ban me for having met each other on the forums, and escalating it from there?

James Amril-Kesh wrote:
This thread.

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment you have, could you post an example of where the line once was and then has moved, in the case of harassment?
Snupe Doggur
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#833 - 2014-09-12 22:39:20 UTC
Helene Fidard wrote:
The rules about real-life harassment right now are a grey area, because CCP won't define what they are. Keep your grey area, but define where the grey area stops.

Just because you are firm about what is absolutely not allowed doesn't mean you have to throw away discretion in all other cases.

Yes. Discretion is entirely CCP's, and the calls for firming up the edges are spurious attempts to rules-lawyer. The scammers are on notice to confine their EVE harassment within the game, but even there they'll no doubt find some way to behave indecently in a way that forces CCP to take official notice.

It's like no one ever heard of Ray Rice. If you (not addressing Helene) are cruel or sick enough to abuse fellow players, and dumb enough to leave evidence behind by sharing it around, or to post it on the forums as one formerly-famous person did, no amount of clarification is going to penetrate your skull. Sooner or later, your schemes will escalate, you'll get sloppy and you're going to do an Ero-style pratfall...and then whine about the inevitable for many months. You, the real-life harasser, are the precise reason why we can't have clear-cut rules.

The ones who can't keep it in their britches are wasting their time and ours with the repetitive cries for clarification.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#834 - 2014-09-12 22:54:21 UTC
Snupe Doggur wrote:
Helene Fidard wrote:

Yes. Discretion is entirely CCP's, and the calls for firming up the edges are spurious attempts to rules-lawyer.

Or maybe they're people playing the game as intended who want to make sure they're not breaking the rules.
Stop ascribing spurious motivations to people and then using that as your argument against them. That's like, a combination of ad hominem and strawman.

evepal
Scholar of Rationality
#835 - 2014-09-12 23:10:55 UTC  |  Edited by: evepal
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Snupe Doggur wrote:
Helene Fidard wrote:

Yes. Discretion is entirely CCP's, and the calls for firming up the edges are spurious attempts to rules-lawyer.

Or maybe they're people playing the game as intended who want to make sure they're not breaking the rules.
Stop ascribing spurious motivations to people and then using that as your argument against them. That's like, a combination of ad hominem and strawman.

I fail to see how this is a strawman? He's not misrepresenting some ones argument there, to make it easier to attack. Ad hominem was in there though, you're right on that.

However, going back could you post an example of where the line once was and then has moved, in the case of harassment? As some one now interested in rational thought, you must surely wish to adhere to the burden of proof principle.
Black Pedro
Mine.
#836 - 2014-09-12 23:26:07 UTC
evepal wrote:
Whilst I appreciate the sentiment you have, could you post an example of where the line once was and then has moved, in the case of harassment?

Ok I'll bite. The Bonus Room itself. Last November CCP was well aware of this scam Erotica 1 was running. We know this because of the public re-awarding of skill points to a "victim" who consented to multiple poddings in an alpha clone while in the Bonus Room, which is documented in public comments on the forums and on the minerbumping website at that time. In March, CCP responded to an outcry raised by a certain blogger and banned Erotica 1 and presumably the Bonus Room for the same behavior.

Sure, you can argue that CCP didn't actively consent or approve of the Bonus Room last November, but by doing nothing when they were well aware of what was going on, they at least implied that this was within the rules. If a player made that interpretation because of CCP's previous tolerance of these scams and refusal to say one way or another their opinion on them despite being asked, they may have joined a subsequent Bonus Room thinking that it was ok. When CCP later decided the Bonus Room was actually harassment, they were now in violation of the EULA.

I think CCP is well within their rights to change their minds or policies on anything, but you should also see how dropping permabans on those who may have been caught out by this effective change in policy isn't exactly fair or reasonable.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#837 - 2014-09-12 23:31:05 UTC
evepal wrote:

It's not particularly hard.

"Harassment" is an action or instance (or pattern) of speech that fits certain criteria.
"Hurt Feelings" are subjective results that can occur as a result of any number of actions or instances (or patterns) of speech that may or may not fit the criteria of harassment.

Actions and Results are very clearly different.

I listed an example of a set of criteria defining harassment, but cleaning lock 404ed my post.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

evepal
Scholar of Rationality
#838 - 2014-09-12 23:43:16 UTC  |  Edited by: evepal
Black Pedro wrote:
evepal wrote:

Ok I'll bite. The Bonus Room itself. Last November CCP was well aware of this scam Erotica 1 was running. We know this because of the public re-awarding of skill points to a "victim" who consented to multiple poddings in an alpha clone while in the Bonus Room, which is documented in public comments on the forums and on the minerbumping website at that time. In March, CCP responded to an outcry raised by a certain blogger and banned Erotica 1 and presumably the Bonus Room for the same behavior.

Sure, you can argue that CCP didn't actively consent or approve of the Bonus Room last November, but by doing nothing when they were well aware of what was going on, they at least implied that this was within the rules. If a player made that interpretation because of CCP's previous tolerance of these scams and refusal to say one way or another their opinion on them despite being asked, they may have joined a subsequent Bonus Room thinking that it was ok. When CCP later decided the Bonus Room was actually harassment, they were now in violation of the EULA.

I am not trying to troll, if you think that about me because of the posts above, then you're coming in with a pre-misconception of what I'm trying to achieve. I just want to have a rational discussion, so we can see this follow through to a conclusion. When it gets irrational, sadly it becomes cyclical and nothing is achieved. People lose effort in the discussion because of the attacks, and drop the issue altogether.

As for this example, I don't think it relates to a change in harassment policy.

As above, I myself and others have expressed that the actions done to an in game character, are not harassment of the person -- an expression held by people on opposing views of the discussion. I think the difference between those two examples is the harassment, specifically the mocking of a speech impediment on a different individual. I find that relates to a person, and not his character in game.

To make that clear, the consistent pod explosions isn't harassment. It was probable he got reimbursed at the discretion of the GM for personal inexperience. The mocking of a speech impediment, is harassment on the player, as it has nothing to do with the character nor EvE for that matter.

I have no issue with scamming, laughing at some ones in game misfortune, awoxing etc. That hasn't ever been the focus of this discussion, at least to my knowledge. Perhaps some people may have the intent to remove that from the game, but I do not. I have stated why I support that activity before.

Black Pedro wrote:
I think CCP is well within their rights to change their minds or policies on anything, but you should also see how dropping permabans on those who may have been caught out by this effective change in policy isn't exactly fair or reasonable.

It isn't exactly fair or reasonable, you're right. What would you propose in the situation where someone was to do something that general consensus/CCP didn't want, and they introduce a new policy because of it?

RubyPorto wrote:
evepal wrote:

It's not particularly hard.

"Harassment" is an action or instance (or pattern) of speech that fits certain criteria.
"Hurt Feelings" are subjective results that can occur as a result of any number of actions or instances (or patterns) of speech that may or may not fit the criteria of harassment.

Actions and Results are very clearly different.

I listed an example of a set of criteria defining harassment, but cleaning lock 404ed my post.

Whilst I appreciate the attempt, it's unfortunate that the cleaning removed your examples. There's a lot of context to my quote, as it's following a series of questioning, building upon the latter. It's most probable that you had that in mind when responding, but the clearing has lost the contextual meaning of that chain of reasoning.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#839 - 2014-09-13 00:23:31 UTC  |  Edited by: RubyPorto
evepal wrote:
Whilst I appreciate the attempt, it's unfortunate that the cleaning removed your examples. There's a lot of context to my quote, as it's following a series of questioning, building upon the latter. It's most probable that you had that in mind when responding, but the clearing has lost the contextual meaning of that chain of reasoning.

Here's an attempt at a definition suitably for use in EVE (certainly not complete).

"Harassment" is defined such that it:
1) Generally doesn't include in game actions (with some notable, but well defined exceptions).
2) Does include speech, regardless of medium, and out of game actions that fit any of the following criteria:
  • consist of threatened violence to anyone outside the game
  • consist of any other threats to anyone outside the game
  • include out of game personal information not disclosed by the recipient to the sender
  • are part of a pattern of explicitly unwanted communication

• "Hurt Feelings" are a subjective result and thus cannot be part of a ruleset. I can get my feelings hurt by someone taking my queen in Chess; that doesn't mean they're wrong for doing so.

Again, it's probably a little light (i.e. may need some more bullet points), but I think it pretty well lays out the difference between Harassment and Hurt Feelings.

I get that you were aiming for a big socratic method reveal, but I suspect you'll be disappointed.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Kaarous Aldurald
    Black Hydra Consortium.
    #840 - 2014-09-13 00:37:21 UTC
    evepal wrote:

See, this is where I disagree. I don't think you need to know the person, in order to attack them out of game.

Why is that? If I don't know anything beyond the character name, then who I am actually attacking?

If the only interaction between two players can only be defined in terms of their game identities, then so long as the in game interaction is permissible, there is no issue.

Now, the terms of service also forbid sending unsolicited evemails to insult someone, which is an entirely separate clause of in game harassment.

But "real life harassment"? There are not many instances in which this can occur without one party having determined the real life identity of another.

Quote:

I too agree that laughing at another persons misfortune isn't grounds for harassment.

Quite a few of the people agreeing with you think otherwise. There has been more than one post in this thread, and dozens on the EVE subreddit, that suggest that the "winner" of an in game confrontation is not permitted to have any satisfaction from his victory whatsoever, or CCP should ban them.

Those are the people that we are lining up to tell to **** off.

Quote:

Though, suppose this completely hypothetical: I invited you onto a VOIP program, insulted you for 6 hours ranging from your nationality to implying the way you talked inferred your sexual orientation, and then uploaded that with the intent to share to others, for them to laugh.

In that hypothetical situation, would you deem them harassing the character, or the person behind it? Should CCP ban me for having met each other on the forums, and escalating it from there?

If you stayed for six hours in a voluntary voice chat, you did so of your own free will.

As for insulting nationality, if you're around me and you're Canadian, you've gotten it from me more than once. "You put the duh in Canaduh", and various references to Kraft Dinner and curling. We're all adults, some ribbing is well within bounds, and what is not is already covered under the rules against trolling.

Best Meltdown Ever.