These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Fond Farewell to CCP Veritas

First post First post
Author
Xtrah
Outer Heaven Logistics
NoHo Citizen
#61 - 2014-09-11 11:52:10 UTC
Very curious to know what happens to the 'Brain in a box' project now. Would be great if some devs could confirm if it's being continued or not.

o7 CCP Veritas, a huge loss for CCP and EVE.
Hicksimus
Torgue
#62 - 2014-09-11 11:52:38 UTC
At first I thought Tuxford quit........this thread is like break a wish now.

Recruitment Officer: What type of a pilot are you? Me: I've been described as a Ray Charles with Parkinsons and a drinking problem.

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#63 - 2014-09-11 12:02:26 UTC
Xtrah wrote:
Very curious to know what happens to the 'Brain in a box' project now. Would be great if some devs could confirm if it's being continued or not.

I'm not a dev, but the Brain in a Box (and dogma rewrite) projects aren't single person projects. The teams have been working on them.

No offense to CCP Veritas, who is a smart guy, but no company with any sense at all gives such a big project to a single person. The Bus factor is too low. (bus factor: how many people can be hit by a bus, before the project tanks)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Jackie Fisher
Syrkos Technologies
Joint Venture Conglomerate
#64 - 2014-09-11 12:11:14 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:

No offense to CCP Veritas, who is a smart guy, but no company with any sense at all gives such a big project to a single person.
The Bus factor is too low. (bus factor: how many people can be hit by a bus, before the project tanks)

Or in CCPs case the Riot factor.

Fear God and Thread Nought

Prince Kobol
#65 - 2014-09-11 12:37:36 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Xtrah wrote:

I'm not a dev, but the Brain in a Box (and dogma rewrite) projects aren't single person projects. The teams have been working on them.

No offense to CCP Veritas, who is a smart guy, but no company with any sense at all gives such a big project to a single person. The Bus factor is too low. (bus factor: how many people can be hit by a bus, before the project tanks)

Whilst this is very true, it all depends on how much influence Veritas had on the projects he was working on. If he had a major input and was the main driving force behind them then he will be a very big loss and will be very hard to replace.
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#66 - 2014-09-11 12:39:49 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
CCP relies on passionate and bright people who love their job enough to accept a lower wage and cope with Iceland's quirks.

Yeah, people who work for a living are ultimately motivated by money. If you're not prepared to pay what people are worth then you'll find that they're not prepared to hang around.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

jonnykefka
Adhocracy Incorporated
Adhocracy
#67 - 2014-09-11 12:40:12 UTC
Farewell to the most universally beloved dev. Best dev blogs, bringer of TiDi, maker of the AT interface. Tuxford, you got some shoes to fill. And stay away from the big red button.
Castelo Selva
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#68 - 2014-09-11 13:51:40 UTC
To be honest, I usually do not post in these type of threads, BUT…

It is a huge loss to Eve and us (player base). I almost sure that CCP has a replacement for his line of work, but I very sad today. The game lost a standalone person. Veritas solutions made the game much much better.

Farewell to you CCP Veritas, you are and always will be an icon to my personal eve. I wish to you all the best! Be happy and enjoy your new challenges.

Castelo
NoLife NoFriends StillPosting
Doomheim
#69 - 2014-09-11 15:37:39 UTC
A wake up call for all the derpy kids who somehow think EVE is perfect how it is.
Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#70 - 2014-09-11 15:42:45 UTC
NoLife NoFriends StillPosting wrote:
A wake up call for all the derpy kids who somehow think EVE is perfect how it is.

How is a dude who didn't get fired or laid off moving to another company in a place that may be nicer for his family some kind of 'wake up call'?

It may be an alarm bell for you to take your medicine if anything. Twisted

If you don't like how EVE is, why are you still here?
CCP Veritas
C C P
C C P Alliance
#71 - 2014-09-11 15:48:42 UTC
Thank you all for the kind words. It's been my great pleasure to work on EVE and enable you folks to do crazier things.

The work on Brain in a Box will continue in my absence, Team Gridlock still exists.

CCP Veritas - Technical Director - EVE Online

NoLife NoFriends StillPosting
Doomheim
#72 - 2014-09-11 16:04:28 UTC  |  Edited by: NoLife NoFriends StillPosting
Jenn aSide wrote:
herp derp, I live here

He obviously left for a reason. That reason is EVE is still **** when it shouldn't be. Only took 10 years to fix can flipping.

You obviously need meds way more than me, kid.
Black Panpher
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#73 - 2014-09-11 16:06:57 UTC
CCP PLS!
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#74 - 2014-09-11 16:08:15 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
herp derp, I live here

He obviously left for a reason. That reason is EVE is still **** when it shouldn't be.

Actually, his reasons have been made abundantly clear, and you are pretentiously accusing him of lying about his reasons by proxy of vexatiously visiting his motivations. I really, honestly hope, for the sake of the entire world, that you never ever procreate. Or if you do, that pure vile isn't a genetic thing...

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#75 - 2014-09-11 16:10:31 UTC
Is there something in the offices over there?
I mean you guys are on the harbor, so it might not be the body odor of your coworker necessitating febreeze bombs.
Ah well have fun Veritas, remember when you launch the subtle take over of Riot Games to ensure you have the one liner down pat.
Nothing like ruining the moment with a forgotten phrase
Prince Kobol
#76 - 2014-09-11 16:10:41 UTC
CCP Veritas wrote:
Thank you all for the kind words. It's been my great pleasure to work on EVE and enable you folks to do crazier things.

The work on Brain in a Box will continue in my absence, Team Gridlock still exists.

Think its fairly safe for me to say on behalf of the player base that it has been our absolute pleasure to have a such fantastic developer like yourself working on Eve.

I hope the folks over at Riot realise what a very talented developer there are getting.
Cameron Freerunner
Long Jump.
#77 - 2014-09-11 16:11:20 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

How is a dude who didn't get fired or laid off moving to another company in a place that may be nicer for his family some kind of 'wake up call'?

It may be an alarm bell for you to take your medicine if anything. Twisted

If you don't like how EVE is, why are you still here?

Why do you equate criticism of EVE/CCP with a desire to see EVE/CCP crash and burn? The fact that some of us are critical isn't an indication of hate, it's an indication of love. If we didn't care, we wouldn't bother to say anything at all.

Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#78 - 2014-09-11 16:25:38 UTC
CCP Veritas wrote:

Don't become a stranger, EVE needs a bit of Awesome at times.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#79 - 2014-09-11 16:32:48 UTC
CCP Veritas wrote:

o7
Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#80 - 2014-09-11 16:57:07 UTC
Death by a thousand cuts continues.