These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Fix for Market buy order scams

First post
Author
Kel Gunrunner
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2014-09-11 07:58:23 UTC
I was recently the victim of a market buy order scam that cost me 3 bil.

The guy had flooded the market with sell orders for an item at 300 mil a piece, he put a buy order up that looked like a typo 700,000,000 rather than 70,000,000. so I figured Id try buying one of these and sell it. then i realised the buy order was for 10 so I couldent sell it. At this point I realised I had been scammed and thought... wouldent it be fun to aquire 10 of these to fill his order so he has to pay out... so I did I spent 3 billion on it. and when I clicked it the order dissapeared and instead it had put the 10 items up on a sell order for 700,000,000 each. ShockedQuestionAttention

SCAMMED BIGTIME.

I didnt even know there was a skill that allowed you to create false buy orders, but after some reserch I understand the idea behind the skill it just needs a fix to stop people doing this. Ugh

The Solution:
Highlight buy orders in red if the player they belong to does not have the capital to pay out. add a tooltip to explain why it is red. This can be avoided so easily.
Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#2 - 2014-09-11 08:21:21 UTC
It's one of the oldest and well known scams in EVE. It's complained about, but it's not much of an issue, scamming is allowed in this game and good appropriate solutions aren't so simple to implement. The real problem you should be worried about is why did you invest billions on a product when you lack rudimentary knowledge of the market and didn't even know the correct price of the product you're trading in? I know it's not what you want to hear, but you stumbled on the most obvious scam possible and no warning bells went off in your head. If you don't address the issue, you'll get scammed again even if margin trading scams gets removed. Well at least you get to keep your goods, that are worth 3 bil. All you need to do now is find another player who shares that belief and you can sell them your fine products at a generous 5% discount.
Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#3 - 2014-09-11 08:24:31 UTC
CCP cannot patch greed and stupidity out of the game.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#4 - 2014-09-11 08:25:30 UTC
The skill isnt for the scam, the scam is just a clever use of the game tools. It is up to you to do your homework on something that looks too good to be true.
Samillian
Angry Mustellid
#5 - 2014-09-11 09:29:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Samillian
You gambled, you lost.

Learn from your error and move on.

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

Ix Method
Doomheim
#6 - 2014-09-11 09:41:29 UTC
It seems hard to believe you could have 3bn and not have come across this.

Travelling at the speed of love.

Sigras
Conglomo
#7 - 2014-09-11 10:04:10 UTC
Kel Gunrunner wrote:
The Solution:
Highlight buy orders in red if the player they belong to does not have the capital to pay out. add a tooltip to explain why it is red. This can be avoided so easily.

Do you understand what would actually be involved for a database back end programmer in order to implement your "solution"? because your idea suggests that you dont.

Let's say that the best case scenario is that CCP is willing to cache the "minimum purchasable amount" for each order in their database (which would actually make their orders database quite a bit larger as it would need to store another double)

Now lets make up a heavy trader, he has 150 buy order and 100 sell orders up at any given time and trading is his main profession. every time that his wallet updates the database has to roll through all of his buy orders and make sure that for each of them the minimum purchasable amounts are below the amount that is in his wallet.

He lives in Jita, and people are constantly buying and selling from him, which means that his wallet changes every minute or two. Now the database has to do 150 compares every minute. Still not that bad for a modern computer

now multiply that times the 10,000 people who trade in jita daily and if you think the market in jita is laggy now, just you wait.

A much better solution would be to have the option to "audit buy order" which would cost you 1,000,000 ISK, if you were wrong about the order and the person did actually have the cash to fulfill it, that 1,000,000 would be gone, but if not, the order would be canceled, their escrow seized and you would receive your ISK back

Or better yet, you could listen to the old adage that if it seems too good to be true, it is. :P
chaosgrimm
Synth Tech
#8 - 2014-09-11 13:06:08 UTC  |  Edited by: chaosgrimm
I have to wanna say the devs had a thread about this going on at one time, not sure if anything ever came out of it. They said something along the lines that they didn't like how the UI wasn't giving players any information about the possibility of this happening, unlike in contract scams where the victims are just ppl who misread / acted to quickly, etc

One of the concerns about marking orders using the margin trading skill was that marking them could negatively impact the ppl who use the skill legitimately.

If you didn't know you didn't know, which sucks because to my knowledge there isn't anything in game that clearly indicates the possibility of this happening. IMO if anything is to be done, it should be in the form of a popup that appears when a player first accesses the market or tutorial in game that explains mechanics of the market and how buy orders can fail
Jur Tissant
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2014-09-11 13:12:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Jur Tissant
Of course this scam is easy to spot for an experienced player but new players might reasonably expect the UI not to lie to them. Other scams rely on misdirection, so a keen eye can spot the scam if the player can temper their greed. Again, my concern here is mainly for newer players, as much as we like to say HTFU and forget about it, the game interface itself has lied to them and cost them the $20 PLEX they bought to jump-start their career.

Quote:
One of the concerns about marking orders using the margin trading skill was that marking them could negatively impact the ppl who use the skill legitimately.

A small crowd in my experience, as I have never encountered a legit buy order which couldn't be fulfilled. Besides, does it matter if the the player is a legit trader? If a buy order can't be fulfilled, it can't be fulfilled, and shouldn't the seller have a right to know that?
NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#10 - 2014-09-11 13:40:46 UTC
I've always wondered, aside from this scam, what is the point of the min required for sale?
I mean that seems the easiest fix for the scam is to get rid of that
One less column, less database, happier server, fatter hamsters
Ines Tegator
Serious Business Inc. Ltd. LLC. etc.
#11 - 2014-09-11 13:54:01 UTC
Scams are part of life in EVE.

However, this particular scam is one that's aided and abetted by the UI itself. It uses game mechanics that require a fair bit of digging to understand and there's no indication it's even possible unless you already know about it. This makes it a "new player trap" and it should thus be quashed.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#12 - 2014-09-11 13:56:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
Wild idea: If Margin Trade was skilled and a player creates market orders, the server checks upon money transfer to other divisions/other characters if enough money remains in the division/wallet to cover the margin. If not, the player receives a notification to confirm the money transfer and as a result cancel the affected market order(s) or to abort the money transfer and keep the orders running.

Also, why is this a separate topic and not in this thread?

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2014-09-11 14:05:18 UTC
NEONOVUS wrote:

Dropping a column in a big table is a b*****d.

And you have to pray you dont (and never had) have lazy developers who select * and rely on an order existing. Or order by 1/2/3/n in the code.

A drop isnt likely Smile
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#14 - 2014-09-11 14:42:31 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Remember kids...

When you price-check an item, always cross-check that price before you buy it.

If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Selling stuff to buy orders just makes people smarter than you richer.
Antillie Sa'Kan
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2014-09-11 14:45:14 UTC
The topic of this thread and the OP's post are based on the assumption that there is a "problem" that needs to be "fixed". I find this assumption to be flawed.
Komi Toran
Perkone
Caldari State
#16 - 2014-09-11 14:47:24 UTC
TL;DR version: Greedy person taught a lesson by smarter person. Wants to nerf smarter person.
NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#17 - 2014-09-11 15:13:04 UTC
afkalt wrote:
NEONOVUS wrote:

Dropping a column in a big table is a b*****d.

And you have to pray you dont (and never had) have lazy developers who select * and rely on an order existing. Or order by 1/2/3/n in the code.

A drop isnt likely Smile

Why is it no one codes in a sane and logical manner like all these books I am learning from advise? (Please ignore my effective and ongoing decision to write a browser in Java, it works and the code will look pretty when I am done, honest)
Why do we need to call it Haskel and now have n+1 coding methods?

Also why are there so many coding methods?
Arent most of them wrappered languages that end up outputting to the assembly code the same?
Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#18 - 2014-09-11 15:21:02 UTC
It's your own fault for not reading the price you were paying correctly...
Fer'isam K'ahn
SAS Veterinarians
#19 - 2014-09-11 15:27:42 UTC
1.) Hahaha, many have been there.

2.) Dark Green color for minimum buy order bigger then 1 is something I could live with. It is usually outside the window and a bit of a help. You are still to risk the investment, win or lose, which is also fine.

Comfort yes, scam fix - not really sure.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2014-09-11 15:31:29 UTC
Celthric Kanerian wrote:
It's your own fault for not reading the price you were paying correctly...

I don't think you know how this scam works.
123Next page