These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dodging Wardecs

First post
Author
Elsa Hayes
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#81 - 2014-09-10 05:49:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Elsa Hayes
What´s the point of war deccing a 1 man corp? It adds 1 target (maybe 3-4 targets but those are alts anyways) that is not really a target rich environment. Many many so called merc corps target newly formed corp specifically because they have new players who most likely DO NOT have logi alts to exploit the same bullcrap to create a as save and easy gank environment for the so called merchs as possible.

So the little guys dodges your grieving attempt by closing shop, fairly realistic to me tbh.
However the neutral logi shenanigans are completely bullcrap, you aid one side in a war, you become involved for the duration of the war and get declared an official war target for the entire duration as well as including the fee which will be forcedly deducted from your account, if you happen to be in an NPC corp and rep, tracking link or boost a war party, CONCORD shows up and blows you up. That´s how things should be! You decide to help one side in a war you GET INVOLVED!

Neutral scouts however would not be affected since they do not actively aid any war party with a module. Once we have mechanics like this in place we can talk about making dropping corp and forming a new one harder.

The most risk averse people in this game are the majority of the so called "pvpers" who seek the most risk free, easy gank possible.

In 0 sec there are no neutral logi shenanigans at least and in low sec everyone is fair game as well, so using high sec war decs and neutral logi alts is a hell lot more cowardly than almost any other game mechanic in EvE. You use your shenanigans the little guy uses his. You want him to be penalized but want to keep your own shady mechanics that makes you the whiny wimp.

Asking for a nerf for only one side sounds like the typical whining from the whiniest and most cowardly group in game, the high sec war deccers.
Torneach Structor
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#82 - 2014-09-10 06:19:28 UTC
I think I read a post earlier about how the whole thing should be scrapped and that a new team should get to work on it - I forgot who posted that, but it really is the best way to go if anything's to be done.

As it stands, it's really a simple mechanic - pay the police to look the other way while you try and bash another group's collective face in. Very simple and effective in its aims: pay money to get people to shoot at.

The simplicity is, however, the wardec mechanic's greatest weakness. One one hand, it would be more interesting to require some kind of casus belli for a war to be initiated. On the other, however, it really would inhibit those players involved in hisec war corporations the ability to do what they do. Whether you think that what they do is honorable/right and proper/good doesn't really matter - they need to be able to do their thing as well.

But going back to the point about a new team working from scratch on a new wardec mechanic: it really does seem that the current paradigm leaves many with a bitter taste in their mouths. It's easy to avoid a wardec, but it's also easy to initiate one, which can in turn be avoided just like the last one. Wasted money for the aggressors, and wasted time and effort for the defenders.

So, really, the current system doesn't work.

In a game with unlimited resources, what is the point of a war? If another mining corporation mines out your corporation's favorite system, you can just go one system over, or wait until tomorrow. And mission corporations have no effect on each other. Incursions do have hissyfits over killing the mothership "too soon" or whatever, but other than that, they just exist around each other.

The fuel of warfare is competition and conflicting interests. When neither are present, wars are reduced to "just for kicks" or "killboard padding", which results in the current situation - specialized wardec corporations launching dozens of wars against other corporations, leading to either disbandment and reformation, whining, quitting, and so on.

As it stands, wars in EVE have no useful purpose. Until that's changed, things will be the same.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#83 - 2014-09-10 06:20:35 UTC
Agreed, there's not enough.... I dunno.... Psshhhh to wardecs right now.

Scrap it all, do it again.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Ssabat Thraxx
DUST Expeditionary Team
Good Sax
#84 - 2014-09-10 06:38:01 UTC
Torneach Structor wrote:
As it stands, wars in EVE have no useful purpose. Until that's changed, things will be the same.

I disagree. It's easy to "avoid" wardecs - just get out of hisec. Im gaining on 2 yrs of playing this game, and in all that time I've seen 1 merc corp go 1 jump into lowsec 1 time. You can easily let a dec run its course without a single casualty this way.

The flip side that lends some value to a wardec is that for the duration of the war your corp is pretty well screwed when it comes to buying or selling at a major trade hub. I've paid for a couple of decs in my time, and each time I knew that the kills werent going to be very high for that very reason... but I also knew that for at least a week my enemies were going to be severely hampered in terms of what they could do in-game. THAT is what I paid for; not kills, but inconvenience. Getting killed costs a ship... spending a whole week hiding out so you DONT get killed is far worse, IMO.

\m/ O.o \m/

"You're a freak ..." - Solecist Project

Prince Kobol
#85 - 2014-09-10 06:46:31 UTC
Elsa Hayes wrote:
What´s the point of war deccing a 1 man corp?

Why does there have to be a point?

Is this not a PvP game?

Is that 1 person such a special person that he/she should be immune to PvP?

Once you log into Tranquillity you are saying that you accept the fact that somebody, anybody can shoot at you at any time in any place using what ever mechanics they deem to be appropriated.
Drago Shouna
Doomheim
#86 - 2014-09-10 07:33:43 UTC
Prince Kobol wrote:
Elsa Hayes wrote:

Is this not a PvP game?

Once you log into Tranquillity you are saying that you accept the fact that somebody, anybody can shoot at you at any time in any place using what ever mechanics they deem to be appropriated.

Fine, we accept that.

But at the same time the wardec groups have to learn to accept that the corp they dec can avoid the said dec at any time using whatever mechanics are available to them as well Big smile

Which is the part certain groups want to stop. Or place massive penalties on players/corps for doing so.

Solecist Project...." They refuse to play by the rules and laws of the game and use it as excuse ..." " They don't care about how you play as long as they get to play how they want."

Welcome to EVE.

Kaely Tanniss
Black Lotus Society.
#87 - 2014-09-10 07:34:41 UTC
Elsa Hayes wrote:
What´s the point of war deccing a 1 man corp? It adds 1 target (maybe 3-4 targets but those are alts anyways) that is not really a target rich environment. Many many so called merc corps target newly formed corp specifically because they have new players who most likely DO NOT have logi alts to exploit the same bullcrap to create a as save and easy gank environment for the so called merchs as possible.

So the little guys dodges your grieving attempt by closing shop, fairly realistic to me tbh.
However the neutral logi shenanigans are completely bullcrap, you aid one side in a war, you become involved for the duration of the war and get declared an official war target for the entire duration as well as including the fee which will be forcedly deducted from your account, if you happen to be in an NPC corp and rep, tracking link or boost a war party, CONCORD shows up and blows you up. That´s how things should be! You decide to help one side in a war you GET INVOLVED!

Neutral scouts however would not be affected since they do not actively aid any war party with a module. Once we have mechanics like this in place we can talk about making dropping corp and forming a new one harder.

The most risk averse people in this game are the majority of the so called "pvpers" who seek the most risk free, easy gank possible.

In 0 sec there are no neutral logi shenanigans at least and in low sec everyone is fair game as well, so using high sec war decs and neutral logi alts is a hell lot more cowardly than almost any other game mechanic in EvE. You use your shenanigans the little guy uses his. You want him to be penalized but want to keep your own shady mechanics that makes you the whiny wimp.

Asking for a nerf for only one side sounds like the typical whining from the whiniest and most cowardly group in game, the high sec war deccers.

There is no point in deccing a 1 man corp...but why should they be removed from the same restrictive mechanic every other player in Eve has to abide by. That's the point. Not griefing, not selecting war targets...anyone who's played eve for any decent amount of time knows this. This isn't even an issue for me. It doesn't effect me one bit, but I was the one who posted it because for some reason others who have voiced their opinions on this either don't, or won't, post it themselves. It's a legitimate matter for discussion and debate...even though it really means absolutely nothing to me in terms of my gameplay. I don't understand why everyone goes off on tangents when the point is simple. It has nothing to do with easy wars, easy targets, etc. To assume making a point of discussion is whining is just wrong in this case. It seems to me the ones whining are the ones who diagree because it will force them to do what they can't..rather than offer an actual legitimate solution or suggestion to the matter. I've lived in low, null, and wormholes..I am well aware of how it works. You assume too much. Blink

If I had a nickel for every time someone said women don't play eve, I'd have a bag of nickels to whack the next person who said it..

Prince Kobol
#88 - 2014-09-10 07:39:33 UTC
Drago Shouna wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:
Elsa Hayes wrote:

Is this not a PvP game?

Fine, we accept that.

But at the same time the wardec groups have to learn to accept that the corp they dec can avoid the said dec at any time using whatever mechanics are available to them as well Big smile

Which is the part certain groups want to stop. Or place massive penalties on players/corps for doing so.

It no so much as they want to stop it, they want a better alternative then what we currently have. Why is that such a bad thing?

Decian Cor
Stronghelm Corporation
Solyaris Chtonium
#89 - 2014-09-10 07:48:23 UTC
If you are upset about the lonely, introverted carebear dodging your wardec, you should just wardec interesting people who fight back.

Also, leave highsec.

[u]Unfiltered for the masses.[/u]

http://imgur.com/mzSl1Ie

Kaely Tanniss
Black Lotus Society.
#90 - 2014-09-10 07:59:27 UTC
Prince Kobol wrote:
Drago Shouna wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:
Elsa Hayes wrote:

Is this not a PvP game?

Fine, we accept that.

It no so much as they want to stop it, they want a better alternative then what we currently have. Why is that such a bad thing?

Exactly..no one said "stop them from being able to drop corp". What was said is "make them abide by the same restrictions everyone else has to abide by". In other words, when a single man drops corp, make him wait a week before being able to join another or create one. He still gets out of the war, he just cannot exploit the sytem and create the samecorp 120 secs later with 0% taxes. Why is this so bad and such a "hot" issue? The suggestions in my original post were just that..suggestions...and more suggestions are warranted. What is not warrented, is incessant whining that is completely off topic. What is wanted, and needed, are LEGITIMATE suggestions and ideas, not ranting, finger pointing, or name calling. Offer contructive opinion or suggestion..if you can.

If I had a nickel for every time someone said women don't play eve, I'd have a bag of nickels to whack the next person who said it..

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#91 - 2014-09-10 08:08:50 UTC
Decian Cor wrote:
If you are upset about the lonely, introverted carebear dodging your wardec, you should just wardec interesting people who fight back.

Also, leave highsec.

So, if I'm not upset, that means I can keep doing it and stay in highsec? Cool, I'll do that then.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#92 - 2014-09-10 08:27:26 UTC
Kaely Tanniss wrote:
Why is this so bad and such a "hot" issue?

Because they think they are entitled to have PvP not be a thing for them, barring suicide ganking.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Drago Shouna
Doomheim
#93 - 2014-09-10 08:35:55 UTC
Kaely Tanniss wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:
Drago Shouna wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:
Elsa Hayes wrote:

Is this not a PvP game?

Fine, we accept that.

Exactly..no one said "stop them from being able to drop corp". What was said is "make them abide by the same restrictions everyone else has to abide by". In other words, when a single man drops corp, make him wait a week before being able to join another or create one. He still gets out of the war, he just cannot exploit the sytem and create the samecorp 120 secs later with 0% taxes. Why is this so bad and such a "hot" issue? The suggestions in my original post were just that..suggestions...and more suggestions are warranted. What is not warrented, is incessant whining that is completely off topic. What is wanted, and needed, are LEGITIMATE suggestions and ideas, not ranting, finger pointing, or name calling. Offer contructive opinion or suggestion..if you can.

You just lost me on this part.. "make them abide by the same restrictions everyone else has to abide by".

Isn't that what they are doing?

Unless of course you're talking about making it a generic waiting time for anyone leaving a corp regardless of the state of the corp regarding wardecs etc, fine that's fair.

But...Applying it only to players who leave to avoid combat in a wardec is discriminating against a player for playing within the allowed structure of the game.

Now please explain why, exactly, any player should be penalised for avoiding a combat situation.

I've asked once already but still never got an answer.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but you keep repeating that there should be penalties without actually stating why. I don't accept that it's because of the isk it costs to implement a wardec in the first place, there has to be another reason(s) lurking somewhere.

Solecist Project...." They refuse to play by the rules and laws of the game and use it as excuse ..." " They don't care about how you play as long as they get to play how they want."

Welcome to EVE.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#94 - 2014-09-10 08:44:18 UTC
Drago Shouna wrote:

I'm not trying to be argumentative but you keep repeating that there should be penalties without actually stating why.

Not a penalty, in the case of the suggestion you are addressing.

A cooldown.

And there should be a cooldown because being able to cycle corps every few minutes is abusive, smacks of being an exploit, and handcuffs the wardec mechanic, which should be allowed to be viable.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Decian Cor
Stronghelm Corporation
Solyaris Chtonium
#95 - 2014-09-10 08:45:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Decian Cor
The seriousness level of this post just climaxed.

Remiel Pollard wrote:
Decian Cor wrote:

Also, leave highsec.

So, if I'm not upset, that means I can keep doing it and stay in highsec? Cool, I'll do that then.

And yes, that's exactly what it means. If you are content to be in high-sec, by all means stay. You're probably not that fun to shoot anyways :P

[u]Unfiltered for the masses.[/u]

http://imgur.com/mzSl1Ie

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#96 - 2014-09-10 08:52:28 UTC
Decian Cor wrote:
The seriousness level of this post just climaxed.

Remiel Pollard wrote:
Decian Cor wrote:

Also, leave highsec.

And yes, that's exactly what it means. If you are content to be in high-sec, by all means stay. You're probably not that fun to shoot anyways :P

You won't know until you try.

Drago Shouna
Doomheim
#97 - 2014-09-10 09:05:53 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Drago Shouna wrote:

I'm not trying to be argumentative but you keep repeating that there should be penalties without actually stating why.

Not a penalty, in the case of the suggestion you are addressing.

A cooldown.

And there should be a cooldown because being able to cycle corps every few minutes is abusive, smacks of being an exploit, and handcuffs the wardec mechanic, which should be allowed to be viable.

Ok, middle ground.

How about a cooldown for closing a corp, say 48/72 hours before you can reform a new one. Make it apply to all members of the corp that way it doesn't just roll from one member to another.

As for a cooldown for someone leaving to avoid the wardec, no I can't agree with that, it's far too restrictive and regardless how you look at it, it's a massive penalty on an individual.

Heck it could be a random month old player just wanting to get on with the game and generate isk without getting blown to hell on the undock and losing everything he just earned.

Welcome to EVE.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#98 - 2014-09-10 09:10:38 UTC
Drago Shouna wrote:

As for a cooldown for someone leaving to avoid the wardec, no I can't agree with that, it's far too restrictive and regardless how you look at it, it's a massive penalty on an individual.

So wardecs will continue to be useless at their job. Honestly, if you want to damage an organisation you are better off suicide ganking.
Seneca Auran
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#99 - 2014-09-10 09:24:32 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Drago Shouna wrote:

So wardecs will continue to be useless at their job. Honestly, if you want to damage an organisation you are better off suicide ganking.

The fact that EVE allows and even encourages metagaming was always a severe handicap on making a viable war dec system, since everybody does their 'side business' through alts and neutrals.

So while wardecs are indeed useless at their job, that's unrelated to the fact that they're also largely useless for doing what was never their job, namely allowing unrestricted high sec piracy in the name of showing "carebears" that EVE is a cold HARD PLACE of HARD MEN making HARD DECISIONS in HARD PIXELLATED SPACESHIPS.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#100 - 2014-09-10 09:49:37 UTC
Seneca Auran wrote:

So while wardecs are indeed useless at their job, that's unrelated to the fact that they're also largely useless for doing what was never their job, namely allowing unrestricted high sec piracy in the name of showing "carebears" that EVE is a cold HARD PLACE of HARD MEN making HARD DECISIONS in HARD PIXELLATED SPACESHIPS.

They exist to let you circumvent CONCORD, for a fee.

Yes, they are for killing people. Sorry if that seems to bother you enough to warrant the use of caps lock.

Best Meltdown Ever.