These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

!!! Ignoring the Launcher lets you connect more reliably to the client

First post
Author
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#1 - 2014-09-08 23:47:29 UTC
It is generally perceived that the launcher CCP implemented some time back is rubbish. The only improvement it really made was to the patching process. A process which only occurs intermittently leaving us with a piece of junk we have to deal with the rest of the time.

Even if you aren't as bothered about the launcher as I or others are, I am sure you are bothered about the fact that it can be attributed to many of the login issues people face. For some reason if the webserver thing the launcher relies on is down it wont let you connect to eve even if the game server is fineShocked

Since that has just been the case today I thought I would show you how to avoid the launcher entirely. Simply create a short-cut to the following file and run the game from that.

C:\Program Files (x86)\CCP\EVE\bin\exefile.exe

I accept appreciation for this top tip in the form of fancy ships, slavers and slaver hounds.

Blink

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2014-09-09 02:53:24 UTC
I resent the fact that you changed your sig :\
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#3 - 2014-09-09 02:55:54 UTC
What was it before?

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#4 - 2014-09-09 04:09:47 UTC
i like the launcher since i keep it always open when i play and when i disconnect (happens to me fairly often) i can just reconnect with one button press without entering any credentials again.

I am pretty sure this saved me a few ships already since sometimes every second counts when you have to reconnect. So its not a big deal to me. Even when the webserver would be DDOSed i would only notice it if i would have to restart the launcher, once its up it runs.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Mr Duffo
SQUIDS.
#5 - 2014-09-09 07:46:07 UTC
Yes Ive used exe file now for years and its on my windows hotbar thingy at bottom. Much faster to use than wait launcher to verify your client etc.

Skeggǫld, Skálmǫld, Skildir ro Klofnir!

Never forget! #OICXmassacre2014

J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-09-09 08:02:41 UTC
Old news is....well...old.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#7 - 2014-09-09 08:40:48 UTC
exe user reporting in.

it's not just the launcher right now. it's everything. "resolving host." etc.

I can't even get imgur to load for an obligatory screencap of the launcher in offline mode (next to my client that is free to log in using the method in OP).

"everything"
Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2014-09-09 09:49:29 UTC
Lady Spank wrote:
What was it before?

I think it was 'Get out nasty face'.
Oggat
The Adam's Family
#9 - 2014-09-09 09:54:53 UTC
The new batch of disco isn't tied to the launcher, though the launcher takes the meltdown when everyone tries to log back in.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#10 - 2014-09-10 05:31:27 UTC
Steppa Musana
Doomheim
#11 - 2014-09-10 05:36:40 UTC
They really don't think, them CCPs.

Beyond the issues you've mentioned, they force you into using the launcher for updates unless you want to waste several dozen extra mouse clicks doing it manually. Not only does that mean using something that is bulkier than the client itself - just to launch the client - but it also means being privvy to non-sense such as Alliance Tournament spoilers just in an attempt to play the game. Yep, I'm harking about that again. Still hate you guys. So lame.

Hey guys.

shimiku
Zircron Industries
#12 - 2014-09-10 09:04:11 UTC
the exe file thing is old news
on win7 you can just right click on the icon when the game is running and lock it to the proces bar
the only thing i use launcher for is patching the rest of the time i never touch it because its wast of time and dont give me any advantages
Moloney
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2014-09-10 11:59:31 UTC
As soon as they deployed the launcher it failed and they had to notify us that the exefile.exe existed.

I have only ever used the launcher since then when there is a patch needed.

When the patch downloads, close the launcher and open shortcut to the exe.... Win.
Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#14 - 2014-09-10 13:02:19 UTC
Got kicked out day or so ago socket closed thing, launcher did not let me in but exe did, that's kinda lame.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#15 - 2014-09-10 14:29:17 UTC
For those saying this is old news; I'm aware of that. Consider it a timely notification for those that didn't know.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#16 - 2014-09-10 15:09:05 UTC
Only in EVE would this even be a "thing". Big smile

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Vyl Vit
#17 - 2014-09-10 15:20:15 UTC
If I ignore my launcher it behaves in very outrageous and suspicious ways. Strange notes are scribbled in lipstick on the bathroom mirrors. Crawling sandwiches are often found in the kitchen late at night. No...I appreciate what you're doing here for humanity, but there may be more to this than at first glance.

Carol Ann! Carol Ann!

Paradise is like where you are right now, only much, much better.

Kaivar Lancer
Doomheim
#18 - 2014-09-10 17:05:58 UTC
I <3 my exe.
Hevymetal
POT Corp
#19 - 2014-09-10 19:00:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Hevymetal
only thing i use the launcher for is uppdating (now that we are forced to) other then that start the game via the .exe

The launcher BLOWS!
Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#20 - 2014-09-10 19:16:34 UTC
But you get more advertising from CCP if you use the launcher.

Not today spaghetti.

12Next page