These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dodging Wardecs

First post
Author
Experiment 32423
Doomheim
#61 - 2014-09-09 15:57:58 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Experiment 32423 wrote:
If your corp is at war, you should get a 7-day timer before you are allowed to quit said corp.

Most other things in the game have consequences, skill training takes years and war decs should be no exception; joining a corp should require thought and commitment, rather than encouraging players to avoid the consequences of their actions with no penalty whatsoever.

so if you're planning on leaving your corp, and some one finds out, they can wardec you on a 1 man alt corp and keep you there indefinitely?
we're bordering on that abusive harrassment i thing i said on page 1.

Re-read my post please - the 7-day timer is only triggered if your corp is currently at war and will count down regardless of any new war decs. This won't stop people from logging off for a week, but if that's the price they are willing to pay because they refuse to watch local or retaliate, then I'd consider that a fair trade-off.

If I had to guess, I would even say that the reason suicide ganking has become so popular is the lack of action in other areas and it truly is the only way of killing players who are so risk-averse, that you won't be seeing them in the proximity of any lowsec gate. Frankly, everyone is entitled to play the game the way they enjoy, but if they desire to avoid PvP they should have to do it through experience and skill, not cheap game mechanics.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#62 - 2014-09-09 15:58:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Lucas Kell wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Player corps need more incentive to join, or even exist in the first place, I agree 100% with Dave on that.

Here's a thought I just had that will probably not be very popular, but read it through.

What if a player corp that achieved 20 people or more was given access to their own 'deep space' pocket that nobody outside of the corp could access. This would prevent alt trips to get stuff for them - nothing outside of their own corp will have access... *truncated*
I kinda like this pocket idea, though I'd have a market in there which is just that corps market. A corporation only market is something that's always been lacking. That said, I'd say this is a completely separate idea to wardecs and whatnot, since going to that pocket would be exactly the same as docking in a station to hide, so the rest of the issues would stand.

No market would be available, it simply wouldn't exist. You'd have a corp hangar, and could still trade with corp mates when they were docked up like normal, but, someone in corp would still have to go out and get what's being traded. I don't think corporation markets are necessary, the trade feature exists for people who are online together and in the same place, and the contract system is there for everything else.

And yes, it would be the same as docking to hide, with the advantage of not being locatable. Of course, your enemies could find out which system you're attached to, but you'd never be in local so they'd have no idea if you were actually there, even with neutral scouts.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Charax Bouclier
Silvershield Universal
#63 - 2014-09-09 16:06:52 UTC
New 3% tax implemented for all corporations (NPC and player) on all income. Members of player corporations have this taxation reduced the longer they remain uninterrupted with a particular corporation. This will keep membership stable and make it less rewarding long-term to drop your corporate affiliation for simply dodging PvP.

It still leaves it as a player's choice to avoid PvP but it should come with a cost.

Simple idea to implement and tax credits are a nice way of influencing behavior.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#64 - 2014-09-09 16:11:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Charax Bouclier wrote:
New 3% tax implemented for all corporations (NPC and player) on all income. Members of player corporations have this taxation reduced the longer they remain uninterrupted with a particular corporation. This will keep membership stable and make it less rewarding long-term to drop your corporate affiliation for simply dodging PvP.

It still leaves it as a player's choice to avoid PvP but it should come with a cost.

Simple idea to implement and tax credits are a nice way of influencing behavior.

A minimum tax threshold that reduces over time for new corps is a good idea, but for that, 3% would be far too low. I'd be looking at 15% min tax for player corps, which of course they could set higher, with the minimum threshold reducing by 1% per, say, every billion earned in the corp. Then, new players start out in NPC corps at, say, the 3% you're suggesting, which gradually gets higher for every 100mil they earn.

Also, a player returning to an NPC corp would be returning to whatever tax rate he left it with.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Ssabat Thraxx
DUST Expeditionary Team
Good Sax
#65 - 2014-09-09 16:12:52 UTC
Xuixien wrote:
While they're at it, make neutral logi flag as criminal in HiSec. It's time that form of wardecing dodging risk averse behavior stopped.

EDIT: For the dumbs who will inevitably post, of course I'm talking about neutral logi in the context of war.

THIS.

\m/ O.o \m/

"You're a freak ..." - Solecist Project

Drago Shouna
Doomheim
#66 - 2014-09-09 16:34:58 UTC
Please explain why any player should be penalised in any way for avoiding combat.

Is it just that your killboards are looking a bit empty?

By that reasoning someone should be penalised for avoiding mining as well. Because you're not participating in a part of the game I like.

Solecist Project...." They refuse to play by the rules and laws of the game and use it as excuse ..." " They don't care about how you play as long as they get to play how they want."

Welcome to EVE.

Charax Bouclier
Silvershield Universal
#67 - 2014-09-09 16:37:38 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Charax Bouclier wrote:

A minimum tax threshold that reduces over time for new corps is a good idea, but for that, 3% would be far too low. I'd be looking at 15% min tax for player corps, which of course they could set higher, with the minimum threshold reducing by 1% per, say, every billion earned in the corp. Then, new players start out in NPC corps at, say, the 3% you're suggesting, which gradually gets higher for every 100mil they earn.

Also, a player returning to an NPC corp would be returning to whatever tax rate he left it with.

Also, while on the subject of taxation, if you elect me as Galactic Emperor, I will impose a 10% Wealth Tax annually on the richest 5% of the population and my office will redistribute such funding (after paying for my office staff expenses) to targetted areas of particular importance for the greater good of the game.

(As for taxation of transient corp members, yeah...I am not sure what the right number is, as long as it provides sufficient incentive for players to maintain membership instead of dropping it willy nilly)
Ssabat Thraxx
DUST Expeditionary Team
Good Sax
#68 - 2014-09-09 16:39:19 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
The war mechanics are screwed.

From easily dodging them to exploiting with neutrals. CCP has been tinkering with a broken mechanic for so long that people think there are no other options.

But there is one. Scrap it. The whole thing. Put a fresh team on it with no restrictions as to keeping current code and do it from scratch. Do it right this time.

Forever tweaking a fundamentally flawed mechanic will never accomplish anything except keeping the players annoyed.

Mr Epeen Cool

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree. You don't cure the disease by treating the symptoms.

\m/ O.o \m/

"You're a freak ..." - Solecist Project

malcovas Henderson
THoF
#69 - 2014-09-09 17:02:22 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Player corps need more incentive to join, or even exist in the first place, I agree 100% with Dave on that.

Here's a thought I just had that will probably not be very popular, but read it through.

What if a player corp that achieved 20 people or more was given access to their own 'deep space' pocket that nobody outside of the corp could access. This would prevent alt trips to get stuff for them - nothing outside of their own corp will have access. They would have their own station there for storing and docking, but no station services, not one. There would be zero market access, not even a regional market. When you opened the market, there would be nothing in there. This would keep players from being able to just sit out there forever and avoid everything. There would be zero content there except for their station, and the content they created themselves.

It could be attached to a solar system via an acceleration gate that generates upon a player request when they are in that system, just like accelerates generate when you hit 'accept' on a mission. There would be some kind of UI for it as well, perhaps in the people and places menu. The advantage for them, of course, is that if they get wardecced, they can literally disappear from local in that system and dock up in complete safety, IF they can evade their attackers. Additionally, they themselves would have no access to local for the system they are attached to. It'll be like a tiny wormhole system, but without the system. Essentially, a very deep safe completely disconnected from the rest of EVE with a two-way mirror in between. They would have a place to store their stuff, which of course could still be vulnerable to corp thieves/awoxers etc.

I admit, it's not well thought out, I'm just throwing something out there. I'm literally winging this whole idea. Sure, there should be no perfect safety in the game ever, but there already is right now, to be perfectly honest. If you can just drop corp to avoid wardecs in highsec, then you are virtually untouchable. Something like this MIGHT give players more reason to band together, kinda like an exclusive gift for being part of a club. I don't know.

As it is, the only thing keeping corps together in highsec is POS's and POCOs really. There's very little real community beyond CODE and some of the highsec merc alliances.

I have the inclination to go with......

After your initial 60-90 days, you are then flagged "unaffiliated". This would mean you are not in a Corp. NPC or player run. This leaves you a target to everyone, and unable to dock, until such a time as you can get into, or make a corp. NPC is not an option.

Making a Corp, Affiliates you to Concord / Factions and NPC corps. This Affiliation will cost. one off, or monthly, but should be a substantial amount of isk. Talking 10+ billion as a one off. This allows you to Dock. Run missions, Buy/sell, and all other types of stuff.

Leaving a Corp, puts you back into a "unaffiliated" state.

This might lead to less Corps, but better organised. Bad Corps will have notoriety, and good Corps grow stronger. The Corp would have much more of an impact on a player. During a WD, the player can decide to fight for the Corp with others, or leave, and risk being alone AND a target to everyone.

Although just a general outline, and need of input. It takes out NPC corp hogging. (something I am strongly against), Makes the Corp more desirable to stay in during WD's.

Trixie Lawless
State War Academy
Caldari State
#70 - 2014-09-09 17:28:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Trixie Lawless
malcovas Henderson wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:

What if a player corp that achieved 20 people or more was given access to their own 'deep space' pocket that nobody outside of the corp could access. This would prevent alt trips to get stuff for them - nothing outside of their own corp will have access. They would have their own station there for storing and docking, but no station services, not one. There would be zero market access, not even a regional market. When you opened the market, there would be nothing in there. This would keep players from being able to just sit out there forever and avoid everything. There would be zero content there except for their station, and the content they created themselves.

It could be attached to a solar system via an acceleration gate that generates upon a player request when they are in that system, just like accelerates generate when you hit 'accept' on a mission. There would be some kind of UI for it as well, perhaps in the people and places menu. The advantage for them, of course, is that if they get wardecced, they can literally disappear from local in that system and dock up in complete safety, IF they can evade their attackers. Additionally, they themselves would have no access to local for the system they are attached to. It'll be like a tiny wormhole system, but without the system. Essentially, a very deep safe completely disconnected from the rest of EVE with a two-way mirror in between. They would have a place to store their stuff, which of course could still be vulnerable to corp thieves/awoxers etc.

I admit, it's not well thought out, I'm just throwing something out there. I'm literally winging this whole idea. Sure, there should be no perfect safety in the game ever, but there already is right now, to be perfectly honest. If you can just drop corp to avoid wardecs in highsec, then you are virtually untouchable. Something like this MIGHT give players more reason to band together, kinda like an exclusive gift for being part of a club. I don't know.

As it is, the only thing keeping corps together in highsec is POS's and POCOs really. There's very little real community beyond CODE and some of the highsec merc alliances.

After your initial 60-90 days, you are then flagged "unaffiliated". This would mean you are not in a Corp. NPC or player run. This leaves you a target to everyone, and unable to dock, until such a time as you can get into, or make a corp. NPC is not an option.

Making a Corp, Affiliates you to Concord / Factions and NPC corps. This Affiliation will cost. one off, or monthly, but should be a substantial amount of isk. Talking 10+ billion as a one off. This allows you to Dock. Run missions, Buy/sell, and all other types of stuff.

This might lead to less Corps, but better organised. Bad Corps will have notoriety, and good Corps grow stronger. The Corp would have much more of an impact on a player. During a WD, the player can decide to fight for the Corp with others, or leave, and risk being alone AND a target to everyone.

Although just a general outline, and need of input. It takes out NPC corp hogging. (something I am strongly against), Makes the Corp more desirable to stay in during WD's.

I think a lot of ninja looters and people who play as high sec criminals are going to disagree with you on this and I don't blame them. If this was the case and I hit my 60-90 mark and hadn't found a player corp I enjoy, and then wasn't able to dock up or really do anything until I was forced by CCP to make a decision like that....I would probably unsub. I think quite q few people would. Some people actually LIKE being in an NPC corp and it has nothing to do with taxes and wardec.

This thread is surprising me. On the higher punishment for gankers thread there are tons of people who say HTFU because these are the mechanics and get used to it, but it seems like a lot of the same kind of crowd (not specific individuals, but merc toons and whatnot) now want CCP to change things to make it easier for them.

Just pick your corps that you want to wardec a little better instead of blanketing everyone. Find the corps that want to fight and wardec them so you dont waste your isk on the corps with 5 toons and have MINING in the name. How hard is that?

If others have to live with the mechanics then so should you.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#71 - 2014-09-09 22:09:40 UTC
I have removed some rule breaking posts and those quoting them. As always I let some edge cases stay.
Please people, keep it on topic and above all civil!

The Rules:
4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

5. Trolling is prohibited.

Trolling is a defined as a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting other players in an attempt to incite retaliation or an emotional response. Posts of this nature are disruptive, often abusive and do not contribute to the sense of community that CCP promote.

27. Off-topic posting is prohibited.

Off-topic posting is permitted within reason, as sometimes a single comment may color or lighten the tone of discussion. However, excessive posting of off-topic remarks in an attempt to derail a thread may result in the thread being locked, or a forum warning being issued to the off-topic poster.

Thread re-opened.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Kaely Tanniss
Black Lotus Society.
#72 - 2014-09-10 00:50:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaely Tanniss
Trixie Lawless wrote:
malcovas Henderson wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:

I think a lot of ninja looters and people who play as high sec criminals are going to disagree with you on this and I don't blame them. If this was the case and I hit my 60-90 mark and hadn't found a player corp I enjoy, and then wasn't able to dock up or really do anything until I was forced by CCP to make a decision like that....I would probably unsub. I think quite q few people would. Some people actually LIKE being in an NPC corp and it has nothing to do with taxes and wardec.

This thread is surprising me. On the higher punishment for gankers thread there are tons of people who say HTFU because these are the mechanics and get used to it, but it seems like a lot of the same kind of crowd (not specific individuals, but merc toons and whatnot) now want CCP to change things to make it easier for them.

Just pick your corps that you want to wardec a little better instead of blanketing everyone. Find the corps that want to fight and wardec them so you dont waste your isk on the corps with 5 toons and have MINING in the name. How hard is that?

If others have to live with the mechanics then so should you.

It's not so much about changing mechanics to make it easier for mercs, but rather a balance that applies to all across the board. Like in my original post, a corp or member can't leave and rejoin a corp/alliance without a "stasis" ..this same mechanic should be applied to all corps and members, regardless if the corp has 1000 or 1 member. Sure, it doesn't solve everyones issues..but it offers a balance that applies to all. Eve is a social game and every player engages in some sort of pvp, be it market, mining, trade, or shooting other pilots. I'm not saying "let fix it so it's easier for me to dec one man corps"..because I'm not, nor do I do that..but in all "fairness" (yes, I used the dreaded "f"-word), the mechanic should apply to all across the board. The point of the thread was for opinions and suggestion on how to best approach this.

If I had a nickel for every time someone said women don't play eve, I'd have a bag of nickels to whack the next person who said it..

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#73 - 2014-09-10 01:09:49 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Charax Bouclier wrote:

And what would happen: Players would keep their main in corp but never log in. Instead they would use an alt in an NPC corp. Sure they would get less ISK overall, but the amount of combat would not increase.

Besides, the big money is station trading at a hub, an activity totally immune to war decs.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#74 - 2014-09-10 02:38:44 UTC
I think wardeccs are working as designed. People who want to be part of 15+ member corps where its a pain to disband and reform learn to work together and fight off the wardecs. People like me who don't want to pay the excessive NPC corp taxes, and are not looking for PvP without CONCORD assistance in highsec quite rightfully disband and reform the corp when wardecced. Smart wardeccers learn to not wardecc 1 man corps. Any change would just lead to us 1 man shops docking up and playing on alts. My corp has no life to it, its just a shell, I suffer no consequences if it goes dormant for 24 hours while I play on my alts. If anything steps need to be taken against the mass wardeccers just looking to massacre new players, not against the 1 man corps which are working great.
Vigilant
Vigilant's Vigilante's
#75 - 2014-09-10 02:42:40 UTC
(i haven't read every post, so might have been mentioned)

CCP will not change Corp hoping or leaving corp to NPC cause of WAR DEC. It will only pigeon hole people into PVP and hurt the bottom line. That is cash, and CCP is having enough trouble in that area as is.

Last thing they want to do is force people to PVP, if they do not normally.

And YES, I realize EVE is PVP, but realistically not for all. Blink
Raiz Nhell
Tactically Challenged
The Initiative.
#76 - 2014-09-10 04:29:46 UTC
If I can play devils advocate for a minute... I believe we have a case of unintended consequences...

Wardecs are designed to give people a way of legalling blowing stuff up in HS... The intent is to push people out of your space, contest markets, fight over resources... That was the INTENT when they were implemented

However...
People bulk wardec because they want to blow stuff up... I don't think there is much wardeccing in line with the intent... This is due to the fact that it is infact very hard to legally blow stuff up in HS.

So maybe we need to look at the ability to legally blow stuff up in hisec... Maybe less/evadable/3 strikes CONCORD, maybe legal vendettas against a toon (Week long duels).

CCP have a habit of giving with one hand and taking away with the other...
Remember the giving of slots to Freighters, Yes you can have slots, however we will nerf the stats and you will have to make a choice, you can't have everything. And those that screamed loudest for slots actually just wanted everything.

So we have to be careful what we wish for :)

There is no such thing as a fair fight...

If your fighting fair you have automatically put yourself at a disadvantage.

Kaely Tanniss
Black Lotus Society.
#77 - 2014-09-10 04:37:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaely Tanniss
Veers Belvar wrote:
I think wardeccs are working as designed. People who want to be part of 15+ member corps where its a pain to disband and reform learn to work together and fight off the wardecs. People like me who don't want to pay the excessive NPC corp taxes, and are not looking for PvP without CONCORD assistance in highsec quite rightfully disband and reform the corp when wardecced. Smart wardeccers learn to not wardecc 1 man corps. Any change would just lead to us 1 man shops docking up and playing on alts. My corp has no life to it, its just a shell, I suffer no consequences if it goes dormant for 24 hours while I play on my alts. If anything steps need to be taken against the mass wardeccers just looking to massacre new players, not against the 1 man corps which are working great.

Fair enough Veers, but I think you're missing my point. It's not about making it easier to wardec 1 man corps..or about forcing people to PvP who don't want to. It's about making a mechanic equal across the board for all players. A single man corp should be able to close corp..that's not the issue,. However, there should be a delay before one can join or reopen a new corp..the same as any other circumstances when a member or corp leaves and alliance, etc. Being able to drop corp to avoid a dec and reform it immediately is a bit exploitative and there should be some form or recourse. After all, a member can't leave a corp at war, move his items or scout for the corp, then immediately rejoin in order to engage. There's a reason for that mechanic..as there should be for the forementioned. Other than that, feel free to log alts, or go inactive for a week. There are those who don't want to PvP..I get that, but in order to protect your interests, you may have to at some point andusing a broken system to avoid that is just ridiculous. There are other ways to avoid war. Personally, i think the corp skill should be a lot harder to obtain because in its current state, any player can train for 7 mins and open a corp. It kind of defeats the purpose of what a corp is for. Blink

If I had a nickel for every time someone said women don't play eve, I'd have a bag of nickels to whack the next person who said it..

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#78 - 2014-09-10 04:47:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Vincent Athena wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Charax Bouclier wrote:

And what would happen: Players would keep their main in corp but never log in. Instead they would use an alt in an NPC corp. Sure they would get less ISK overall, but the amount of combat would not increase.

Besides, the big money is station trading at a hub, an activity totally immune to war decs.

Read what I wrote though: the tax rate changes are dependent on income. Not the source of the isk, but how much you make. Even with mechanics as they are, you accomplish zero by having a toon that never logs in, be it in a player corp or NPC one. So your NPC alt stays in NPC corp? No problem, eventually his taxes go to 100% and the entirety of his income is entirely removed from the game. Roll alt and make a new one? Why, when if you have a main in a player corp, earning enough income can reduce your minimum tax threshold to zero. Keep him there, and he'll never pay a cent in taxes again. It would be self defeating.

Unless you were planning on just rolling new alts repeatedly to dodge taxes, which would be akin to rolling new alts to dodge sec hits. IMO, rolling new alts just for forum posting should be banned as well - there are too many doomheims around here with irrelevant opinions. But, at the end of the day, a new alt is limited in isk-making potential anyway, and constantly rolling and skilling new alts is gonna get old eventually for the people doing it, so go ahead, I would find this acceptable enough of a compromise to improve the incentives for being in and staying in player corporations, if for no other reason than to improve the high sec community.

Roushar Prhizer
Doomheim
#79 - 2014-09-10 05:16:29 UTC
Or you could war dec a corp that all the members dropping corp, or closing shop is not a trivial thing. Ya know, ones where they have assets, or do something in eve that actually requires being in a corp. This means not deccing mining corps, or mission running corps since neither of the members in either have to be in a corp. A chat channel would suffice.

If all your targets just dodge it, its because your being dumb in your target selection. Or man up and suicide gank them.
Trixie Lawless
State War Academy
Caldari State
#80 - 2014-09-10 05:46:47 UTC
Kaely Tanniss wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

Fair enough Veers, but I think you're missing my point. It's not about making it easier to wardec 1 man corps..or about forcing people to PvP who don't want to. It's about making a mechanic equal across the board for all players. A single man corp should be able to close corp..that's not the issue,. However, there should be a delay before one can join or reopen a new corp..the same as any other circumstances when a member or corp leaves and alliance, etc. Being able to drop corp to avoid a dec and reform it immediately is a bit exploitative and there should be some form or recourse. After all, a member can't leave a corp at war, move his items or scout for the corp, then immediately rejoin in order to engage. There's a reason for that mechanic..as there should be for the forementioned. Other than that, feel free to log alts, or go inactive for a week. There are those who don't want to PvP..I get that, but in order to protect your interests, you may have to at some point andusing a broken system to avoid that is just ridiculous. There are other ways to avoid war. Personally, i think the corp skill should be a lot harder to obtain because in its current state, any player can train for 7 mins and open a corp. It kind of defeats the purpose of what a corp is for. Blink

I'm not missing your point at all...its just that I disagree with you. Hi sec war deccers need to be more selective when they pick who they are going to war with if they don't want to waste their isk. That's all there is to it. Being able to corp hop is essentially a financial PvP defense.

"Oh...some random alliance just war decced us and everyone else around us for no apartment reason than to make a target rich environment....well...thumbs up on that wasted isk people I've never heard of or seen!"

I'm all about war deccing when it It's used to actually fight for a reason between corps... But if a group wants s target rich environment and to be at war all the time... Join RvB or go out to null sec. Miners aren't going to make for a good fight. Out in null you will definitely get the war you want.

I think the mechanics are fine the way they are.