These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Returning player so essentially starting again!

First post
Author
Frantic Aurgnet
Doomheim
#1 - 2014-08-26 18:43:11 UTC
Hi all

I apologise if this is in the wrong place or is a rather stupid thing to say but hey-ho, there we go!

I'm returning to EVE after last logging in back in 2009 (!) so I'd imagine things have changed somewhat and I have a lot of catching up/relearning to do! I have two characters who I put I fair amount of time into (one in particular, was near enough fully miner trained) but I'm rather reluctant to log in and get going again!

I've created a new toon and will be playing through the tutorial missions again to get reaquainted - I'm just wondering if there were any particular paths/careers you would suggest to give me the greatest overview of how things have changed and what direction to go in now.

Any help would be much appreciated and after playing a couple of hours I'm hooked back into the EVE world..

Cheers
Paranoid Loyd
#2 - 2014-08-26 18:49:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
Welcome back, I look forward to shooting your un-tanked indy. Make sure you load it with all the shiny stuff you have. Twisted

J/K but not really.Blink

Read the dev blogs and patch notes, find a group to play with, these are the two quickest ways to acclimate yourself.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#3 - 2014-08-26 20:16:01 UTC

We are in an entirely different game than from 2009.

Major ship changes in all classes of ships from frigates to supercapitals.
New game mechanics (Crimewatch 2.0).
New Ships
New deployables

and more....

What did you do that you liked? What do you think you like to do?
Frantic Aurgnet
Doomheim
#4 - 2014-08-26 22:00:02 UTC
I liked mining back then, but I was a very solo orientated player back then. Now I'd like to interact and get more involved in the community side of things - I've always been quite business/money orientated so I guess I'd like to go in that direction more than combat! Mainly because I'm not very tactically minded (in any game, for that matter...) and I like to play up to my real life strengths! I've been looking at industry/production but, as you said, the game has changed a lot!

I think I'll stay in my new toon for a while to get to grips and see if my other characters can help shape my eventual path..
Paranoid Loyd
#5 - 2014-08-26 22:18:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
Check this out then. There might be some like minded folks there.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Jaysen Larrisen
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-09-07 18:11:03 UTC
Interesting post, Frantic. I'm in almost the exact same position...basically learning the game from scratch.

I've had a surprisingly difficult time finding a group I was interested in and would deal with a low sp player. Let me know if you find a good group and I'll check them out as well.

"Endless money forms the sinews of War" - Cicero

Biomassed - Dust & EVE Podcast

Twitter - @JaysynLarrissen

ISD Decoy
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#7 - 2014-09-09 05:25:35 UTC
Well, in no particular order I'd recommend trying or researching the following:

Arrow Incursions. You said you like ISK. They may as well be called ISKursions.
Arrow Exploration, specifically Data/Relic sites. The way they work now, and the mini-game associated with it is interesting for some time.
Arrow The new-ish bounty system (Crimewatch 2.0)

Welcome back, and good luck out there!

ISD Decoy

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Solette Cheli
Doomheim
#8 - 2014-09-09 05:37:17 UTC
ISD Decoy wrote:

Arrow Exploration, specifically Data/Relic sites. The way they work now, and the mini-game associated with it is interesting for some time.

Relic sites. I've heard bad things about data sites (unless in highsec)
J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#9 - 2014-09-10 12:22:26 UTC
Solette Cheli wrote:
ISD Decoy wrote:

Relic sites. I've heard bad things about data sites (unless in highsec)

And forget about the bounty system. Old system was broken, new system is still broken (as in that in that it still doesn't make bounty hunter an actual way of living in EVE).

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club