These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

Character transfer limits on accounts.

First post
Author
Imogine
#21 - 2014-09-08 22:20:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Imogine
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Imogine wrote:
In the meantime while all this is going on legitimate sellers arrive to sell their char, naturally you're going to check the threads to see what is selling for what, you're not stupid are you?

Knowing what the market is willing to pay is obviously important, just as RL businesses check the pricing of their competitors (and in EvE we don't have the same protections in place that deter collusion between business IRL).

However, if you are going to buy or sell a character, you need to consider several factors in valuing what you believe it is worth, irrespective of the broader market.

I know someone that trades characters and in his view, bargains really are there to be had because people don't value their characters properly, are in need of ISK, just want to close an account, etc.

At the same time, other people will pay a premium because they also don't know how to value a character, but they want one.

People's 'level of want' is the thing that makes them make poor purchasing/selling decisions.

There might well be a group trying to manipulate the price of characters, in which case even more reason to buy and sell wisely.

The other thing with the market is that there are a lot of characters available. The pages turnover quickly. If you think the price is too high on one character, just click through a few pages. You'll find a character you'll be able to bid on.

If you are selling, great to do so when you really have no need to. It's more difficult to influence you if you don't actually have a pressing need to sell.


Every word correct. I've been applying those principles too, well as best I can and I keep getting gazumped, I was torn apart when i lost out on a char the other day, my bid accepted, but someone came in after me and they took it too, I had to get CCP to get my ISK back *crys* I'm still struggling to get over it, i almost quit my search, she was lovely. And again yesterday, snipered, even when I offered the b/o, then I see the same char for sale today but 5b more ISK.

I'm not deterred, I just need to be more tenacious on the forums, get in before the snipers, or errr after lol
KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#22 - 2014-09-08 22:21:05 UTC
I've randomly heard of /met several people that build toons as a profession. Since they want to max their profits I'm sure they turn out quality, narrowly focused toons for the different markets (industry/pvp/mining, etc). Limiting their sales opportunities would be a significant injustice to new people wanting to skip on ahead.
Imogine
#23 - 2014-09-08 22:24:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Imogine
KIller Wabbit wrote:
I've randomly heard of /met several people that build toons as a profession. Since they want to max their profits I'm sure they turn out quality, narrowly focused toons for the different markets (industry/pvp/mining, etc). Limiting their sales opportunities would be a significant injustice to new people wanting to skip on ahead.

Oh yes they are different though, they are literally selling boxed new focused toons, good names and they are unapologetic about a slightly higher than normal price, they are at least honest and for some buyers, perfect.

I came extremely close to buying one in my frustration to get a decent name not willing to settle for 'My belt GTFO' or a corp history so long that it crashes my client and a 100% focus to skills. so many chars being sold as pvp/pve when really they are 70% indy, so really the boxed char from the guys who make them is not such a bad idea.
Imogine
#24 - 2014-09-08 22:40:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Imogine
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Imogine wrote:
Lady Spank wrote:
Imogine wrote:
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Why?

Some could argue it would stabilize the toon transfer market and restrict exploitation.


How is it unstable?

How is it exploited?


Unstable as in characters being sold for inflated prices. I have noticed some strange things going on there, I believe there is a syndicate working to exploit legitimate buyers and sellers, that us.

Deflate prices They put up a sale of a 50m SP toon for 8b, wow thats good you say, the toon is immediately bought, but buy the sellers alt, thus giving the impression a 50m Sp char is worth 8b, rinse and repeat.

inflate prices. pretty simple, they flood the market with toons well above their value, get their alts to buy them at inflated prices and hey! I guess a 30m char really is worth 25b!

Market distorted.

They win on both buying and selling exploiting innocent and legitimate traders, abusing the mechanics of the game.

There's no direct SP <-> ISK correlation. The value of a character at a certain amount of SP has a lot more to do with where those SP are, as well as other factors like security status, name, corp history, implants/jump clones, neural remaps, unallocated SP, posting history, and physical appearance.

Absolutely right, I would be prepared to pay over the odds a little for a really nice name, because its important, I don't want to be knowns as 'pwnzorkiller43' when applying for a corp or being called in fleet, I want to be taken seriously in this game as a relatively senior player.
Imogine
#25 - 2014-09-08 23:09:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Imogine
Mr Epeen wrote:
It would be a great solution looking for a problem, in my humble opinion.

Mr Epeen Cool


Jarod Garamonde wrote:
Proposing a dumb solution to a problem that doesn't exist. thereby causing a problem that would lead to a redaction of the initial solution, as a solution.

OP is short on brain cells.




I withdraw my suggestion respectfully, I just wanted to rant maybe because I can't find a decent char to buy and its been weeks trying.

I think you are probably right on reflection though, it would alienate everyone and thats bad, we just have to play smarter than them I guess. Bear
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#26 - 2014-09-08 23:23:29 UTC
Imogine wrote:
Lady Spank wrote:
Imogine wrote:
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Why?

Some could argue it would stabilize the toon transfer market and restrict exploitation.


How is it unstable?

How is it exploited?


Unstable as in characters being sold for inflated prices. I have noticed some strange things going on there, I believe there is a syndicate working to exploit legitimate buyers and sellers, that us.

Deflate prices They put up a sale of a 50m SP toon for 8b, wow thats good you say, the toon is immediately bought, but buy the sellers alt, thus giving the impression a 50m Sp char is worth 8b, rinse and repeat.

inflate prices. pretty simple, they flood the market with toons well above their value, get their alts to buy/bid them at inflated prices and miraculously win the auction, but no transaction has actually taken place, but the other buyers don't know that, there is distortion.


Market distorted.

They win on both buying and selling exploiting innocent and legitimate traders, abusing the mechanics of the game.


1) None of that requires any actual transaction to take place, so your solution wouldn't work.

2) Market manipulation is legal in EVE, so it's not a problem to begin with.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#27 - 2014-09-08 23:28:46 UTC
Imogine wrote:
I withdraw my suggestion respectfully, I just wanted to rant maybe because I can't find a decent char to buy and its been weeks trying.
In that case there is noting more to discuss. Good luck in your hunt for a new character.

Thread locked.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Previous page12