These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Self sufficient non-isk oriented play, is it viable ?

First post
Author
Jax Kazen
Doomheim
#41 - 2014-09-08 15:13:25 UTC
It's a gameplay option - I think that people sometimes forget that not everyone wants to play the game in the same way that they do.

So to answer the question, it's yes and no. You could definitely be self sufficient in building your own stuff and/or using only stuff that you loot. Ultimately, there will be a limit on what you can get without spending any isk and you will have to make an investment in isk somewhere like in blueprints.

I played this way for a couple of months on an alt one time just for a change. It was somewhat fun because everything meant more. A decent loot drop was seen as excitement vs just another module to sell. A lose was seen as a huge set back because it meant having to mine the resources to replace the ship. It was fun for awhile because of the change. Then I realized that I like shiny things so went back to my pimped main. Still, I might have to dust off that alt and pick it up again just for a change.
KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#42 - 2014-09-08 15:47:58 UTC
Naitrayera wrote:
Is it possible and viable to train and play to be able to make almost everything you need in game from scratch ?

For example, if you fly t1 frigates and cruisers in pvp.
Could it be viable to mine or otherwise obtain minerals yourself for the ships and modules, to resarch t2 bpc-s for modules and only to buy moon minerals needed, or not even that if they can be obtained somehow.
Every way of obtaining materials comes to mind, from mining what do you need to ninja looting and salvaging.
Offcourse, the requirement for one fitted ship would not only be that you have the skills to fly it but to build as much as you can of it.

I am not sure myself, thats why i am interested in discussing about that :D

To me that sounds like fun way of playing but i dont know would you find problems down the road or would you find yourself spending too much time grinding minerals instead of isk.
Or the hassle is not much bigger, idk, maybe it would take just a bit more time to do everything like that, but that would be far more rewarding imho.

What do you think, could that be viable and time efficient to a degree.

Edit:
Has anybody tried something like that ?
What are your experiences ?

I actually started this about 3 months ago as a challenge and to do something different. "Operation Bootstrap" has been interesting, starting with a t1 frig and BP's. From what I've seen so far I believe it would be extremely painful if you were really trying to support an active PvP habit.

Hevymetal
POT Corp
#43 - 2014-09-08 17:52:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Hevymetal
Yes it is possible.

It will take alot of time and effort. You must be willing to start slow and work your way up. You will need to train, mine, acquire blueprints, run missions to attain standings to help in refining effiency.

If you move to 0.0 and get access to corp POSes with labs/refining/manufacturing arraays you are all setup :) If not you will also need to acquire those as well as the skills to use/anchor them.

Or use a hisec station and take the hits in the process.

You will learn ALOT and see aspects of Eve quite a few players have not by going this route. But as I said it requires patience and persistance.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#44 - 2014-09-08 22:48:39 UTC
I have removed some rule breaking posts and those quoting them. Please people, keep it on topic and above all civil!

The Rules:
4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

27. Off-topic posting is prohibited.

Off-topic posting is permitted within reason, as sometimes a single comment may color or lighten the tone of discussion. However, excessive posting of off-topic remarks in an attempt to derail a thread may result in the thread being locked, or a forum warning being issued to the off-topic poster.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Previous page123