These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page
 

Would changing ice back to the way it was affect anything?

First post
Author
Tennej
LoTax POCO Company of HiSEC
#21 - 2014-09-08 21:06:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Tennej
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Limiting the resources drives the price up and therefor generates conflict. I think the situation is still developing, but I see more and more miners considering aggressive methods to secure their share of the ice. Meaningful conflict is the lifeblood of EVE, this change already drives meaningful conflicts and I think it will intensify even more.

Changing back to an infinite source would remove a great deal of potential content and fun from the game.

The "grinding for PLEX to get another month of boring grinding for PLEX"-playstyle should never be an argument for any change, because it has absolutely nothing to do with anything that makes this game fun and worth playing.



Exactly what Soundwave's reasoning for the initial change. All I have seen lately is that you only get to gank ice miners for about 20-30 minutes and then they are gone for 3.5 hours......


I dont see that as very conflict driven or engaging gameplay..... in fact just the opposite.


The days of always being able to count on ganking a ice miner sitting in a static belt to kill boredom are over.

You Miners think you have it so damn tough.  When I first started playing we didnt even have mining lasers.  You had to fly close to an asteroid.....pop a hatch and gnaw at it with your teeth.   - Bitter Vet

Solecist Project
#22 - 2014-09-08 21:08:37 UTC
Yay, Infinite Ice and the ratio....

Love this topic! Worth posting in! :D

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2014-09-08 21:25:59 UTC
Abrazzar wrote:
I'd make it even more unpredictable by moving ice into constellation anomaly spawns and litter normal belts with stray ice blocks.

Then again, I'd change quite a few things about mining.


Out of curiosity, what are the changes you would make?

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Tennej
LoTax POCO Company of HiSEC
#24 - 2014-09-08 21:35:50 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Sibyyl wrote:
Abrazzar wrote:
I'd make it even more unpredictable by moving ice into constellation anomaly spawns and litter normal belts with stray ice blocks.

Then again, I'd change quite a few things about mining.


Out of curiosity, what are the changes you would make?



Not trying to exact changes...... just wondering what the less snarky folks would think would happen if the initial change was reversed. A couple posters have introduced some interesting "tweaks" that sound very very cool. I especially like the constellation randomization of the belts and the "claims" ideas.

Also thought the regular roid random belt tweak was very interesting.

*Snip* Removed off-topic part of the post. ISD Ezwal.

I also find stirring up the fanboi's enjoyable..... I'm Tennej

You Miners think you have it so damn tough.  When I first started playing we didnt even have mining lasers.  You had to fly close to an asteroid.....pop a hatch and gnaw at it with your teeth.   - Bitter Vet

Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#25 - 2014-09-08 21:43:49 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
Abrazzar wrote:
I'd make it even more unpredictable by moving ice into constellation anomaly spawns and litter normal belts with stray ice blocks.

Then again, I'd change quite a few things about mining.


Out of curiosity, what are the changes you would make?

There is a thread linked in my signature, you know?P
Tennej
LoTax POCO Company of HiSEC
#26 - 2014-09-08 21:45:31 UTC
Abrazzar wrote:
Sibyyl wrote:
Abrazzar wrote:
I'd make it even more unpredictable by moving ice into constellation anomaly spawns and litter normal belts with stray ice blocks.

Then again, I'd change quite a few things about mining.


Out of curiosity, what are the changes you would make?

There is a thread linked in my signature, you know?P



Ya going thru it now.....thanks for the linky....

You Miners think you have it so damn tough.  When I first started playing we didnt even have mining lasers.  You had to fly close to an asteroid.....pop a hatch and gnaw at it with your teeth.   - Bitter Vet

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#27 - 2014-09-08 21:52:01 UTC
Abrazzar wrote:
I'd make it even more unpredictable by moving ice into constellation anomaly spawns and litter normal belts with stray ice blocks.

Then again, I'd change quite a few things about mining.




Where it up to me™ all mining would be done by NPCs that the players purchase ships and crews for and order them to mine, but all assets are openly free for attack by anybody anywhere (attackers would be suspect flagged). This way there's no more "be the boot or the ass" or "predator prey" situation. Players wanting ore could be just as PVP ready as anybody who see's fit to "watch the world burn".

Heck we hire teams for making stuff now and just install jobs yet explorers get a mini-game. (not buttmad, just saying)

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#28 - 2014-09-08 22:22:42 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Tennej wrote:
I also find stirring up the fanboi's enjoyable..... I'm Tennej
And I am ISD Ezwal, Captain in ISD's CCL division.

Let me give you some advice. You might like 'stirring up the fanboi's', I don't like you doing it. So please refrain from it in the future, because in essence it means more work for us in CCL.

That warning given, I have removed some rule breaking posts and those quoting them. As always I let some edge cases stay.
Please people, keep it on topic and above all civil!

The Rules:
4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.


5. Trolling is prohibited.

Trolling is a defined as a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting other players in an attempt to incite retaliation or an emotional response. Posts of this nature are disruptive, often abusive and do not contribute to the sense of community that CCP promote.


27. Off-topic posting is prohibited.

Off-topic posting is permitted within reason, as sometimes a single comment may color or lighten the tone of discussion. However, excessive posting of off-topic remarks in an attempt to derail a thread may result in the thread being locked, or a forum warning being issued to the off-topic poster.



Thread re-opened.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Tennej
LoTax POCO Company of HiSEC
#29 - 2014-09-08 22:35:38 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Abrazzar wrote:
I'd make it even more unpredictable by moving ice into constellation anomaly spawns and litter normal belts with stray ice blocks.

Then again, I'd change quite a few things about mining.




Where it up to me™ all mining would be done by NPCs that the players purchase ships and crews for and order them to mine, but all assets are openly free for attack by anybody anywhere (attackers would be suspect flagged). This way there's no more "be the boot or the ass" or "predator prey" situation. Players wanting ore could be just as PVP ready as anybody who see's fit to "watch the world burn".

Heck we hire teams for making stuff now and just install jobs yet explorers get a mini-game. (not buttmad, just saying)


I see this is as the direction its headed. Might be a good thing if it would get there already.

You Miners think you have it so damn tough.  When I first started playing we didnt even have mining lasers.  You had to fly close to an asteroid.....pop a hatch and gnaw at it with your teeth.   - Bitter Vet

Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#30 - 2014-09-08 22:49:23 UTC
I'd restrict laying claims and automated mining to ring mining. You claim your plot, plop down a mining station, pay your lease and then you can haul back a certain combination of ores/ice per interval. Others can scan down your operations and pop them if they wish (requires wardec in high-sec). It could be a space expansion of PI with optional pewpew.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#31 - 2014-09-08 22:51:38 UTC
I have removed a rule breaking post.

The Rules:
12. Discussion of forum moderation is prohibited.

The discussion of EVE Online forum moderation actions generally leads to flaming, trolling and baiting of our ISD CCL moderators. As such, this type of discussion is strictly prohibited under the forum rules. If you have questions regarding the actions of a moderator, please file a petition under the Community & Forums Category.


27. Off-topic posting is prohibited.

Off-topic posting is permitted within reason, as sometimes a single comment may color or lighten the tone of discussion. However, excessive posting of off-topic remarks in an attempt to derail a thread may result in the thread being locked, or a forum warning being issued to the off-topic poster.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#32 - 2014-09-08 22:59:25 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Where it up to me™ all mining would be done by NPCs that the players purchase ships and crews for and order them to mine, but all assets are openly free for attack by anybody anywhere (attackers would be suspect flagged). This way there's no more "be the boot or the ass" or "predator prey" situation. Players wanting ore could be just as PVP ready as anybody who see's fit to "watch the world burn".

Heck we hire teams for making stuff now and just install jobs yet explorers get a mini-game. (not buttmad, just saying)


This is a brilliant idea. The idea that we are capsuleers; capsuleers! and some of us go around doing lowly scrub-tier things like mining or cowardly forum alt-posting is mindless.

If we are the all singing all dancing gods of New Eden why are we doing servants work?

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#33 - 2014-09-08 23:02:37 UTC
Tennej wrote:
Exactly what Soundwave's reasoning for the initial change. All I have seen lately is that you only get to gank ice miners for about 20-30 minutes and then they are gone for 3.5 hours......

There are always miners to gank, it does not matter if they are in the ice or ore belt. There are not more ice miners because there is more ice.

Tennej wrote:
I dont see that as very conflict driven or engaging gameplay..... in fact just the opposite.

Well I do see the conflict I am even a part of it. The ice miner has only a limited time to mine the ice. If he gets targeted by a ganker or bumper he may end up with nothing or even a loss. If however others get targeted by the gankers/bumpers he may get even more than usual because he has exclusive access to the resources. This is a lucrative business model for some.

Also we get more and more request from miners to eradicate their competition from the fields and they start to pay for it. You will even find threads with such requests in C&P.

Tennej wrote:
They days of always being able to count on ganking a ice miner sitting in a static belt to kill boredom are over.

Somehow I don't think the motivation behind your push for infinit ice is to benefit the ganker community. It just sounds like you wan't to place your barge into a place where you can shoot the same ice block the whole day to AFK-grind your PLEX money. Isn't that right?
Terminator 2
Omega Boost
#34 - 2014-09-08 23:05:09 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
I wasnt aware they had left.

The ice belt in Warouh lasted about two hours maximum yesterday due to the two dozen locusts that fell on it.

Unless you mean have them hang around the one place longer?


You mean...2 full hours?

On my way with the fleet to Warouh...i have never seen an ice belt lasting more than 30 minutes...
Tennej
LoTax POCO Company of HiSEC
#35 - 2014-09-08 23:37:37 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Tennej wrote:
Exactly what Soundwave's reasoning for the initial change. All I have seen lately is that you only get to gank ice miners for about 20-30 minutes and then they are gone for 3.5 hours......

There are always miners to gank, it does not matter if they are in the ice or ore belt. There are not more ice miners because there is more ice.

Tennej wrote:
I dont see that as very conflict driven or engaging gameplay..... in fact just the opposite.

Well I do see the conflict I am even a part of it. The ice miner has only a limited time to mine the ice. If he gets targeted by a ganker or bumper he may end up with nothing or even a loss. If however others get targeted by the gankers/bumpers he may get even more than usual because he has exclusive access to the resources. This is a lucrative business model for some.

Also we get more and more request from miners to eradicate their competition from the fields and they start to pay for it. You will even find threads with such requests in C&P.

Tennej wrote:
They days of always being able to count on ganking a ice miner sitting in a static belt to kill boredom are over.

Somehow I don't think the motivation behind your push for infinit ice is to benefit the ganker community. It just sounds like you wan't to place your barge into a place where you can shoot the same ice block the whole day to AFK-grind your PLEX money. Isn't that right?


Um if i wanted private roid belts I'd just do security mishs till i got a safe belt......which is what i think you are inferring. I made a cruiser that rocks out under MWD at over 3k/sec i used to entertain myself when there was static ice. Maybe been in it once or twice since the ice Change.


*Snip* Removed off-topic part of the post. ISD Ezwal.

You Miners think you have it so damn tough.  When I first started playing we didnt even have mining lasers.  You had to fly close to an asteroid.....pop a hatch and gnaw at it with your teeth.   - Bitter Vet

Tennej
LoTax POCO Company of HiSEC
#36 - 2014-09-08 23:39:19 UTC
Terminator 2 wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
I wasnt aware they had left.

The ice belt in Warouh lasted about two hours maximum yesterday due to the two dozen locusts that fell on it.

Unless you mean have them hang around the one place longer?


You mean...2 full hours?

On my way with the fleet to Warouh...i have never seen an ice belt lasting more than 30 minutes...



Ya I am not calling him a liar but I have yet to find any ice belt lasting very long in the Tash Region......except in low.

You Miners think you have it so damn tough.  When I first started playing we didnt even have mining lasers.  You had to fly close to an asteroid.....pop a hatch and gnaw at it with your teeth.   - Bitter Vet

Burl en Daire
M.O.M.S. Corp
#37 - 2014-09-08 23:43:20 UTC
Abrazzar wrote:
I'd make it even more unpredictable by moving ice into constellation anomaly spawns and litter normal belts with stray ice blocks.

Then again, I'd change quite a few things about mining.



I really like the idea of having ice chunks in roid belts. I think it would spice things up a little.

Yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why. Hunter S. Thompson

Tennej
LoTax POCO Company of HiSEC
#38 - 2014-09-08 23:49:40 UTC
Burl en Daire wrote:
Abrazzar wrote:
I'd make it even more unpredictable by moving ice into constellation anomaly spawns and litter normal belts with stray ice blocks.

Then again, I'd change quite a few things about mining.



I really like the idea of having ice chunks in roid belts. I think it would spice things up a little.



Ya it would...... So would having ice and real rocks in Mining missions as well. (Not many) Call them a "salvage" opportunity if the miner optioned for it.

You Miners think you have it so damn tough.  When I first started playing we didnt even have mining lasers.  You had to fly close to an asteroid.....pop a hatch and gnaw at it with your teeth.   - Bitter Vet

Grog Aftermath
Doomheim
#39 - 2014-09-08 23:50:17 UTC
I preferred the ice fields we had back in 2005, although doesn't bother me anymore as I don't mine any longer.
Tennej
LoTax POCO Company of HiSEC
#40 - 2014-09-08 23:53:35 UTC
Grog Aftermath wrote:
I preferred the ice fields we had back in 2005, although doesn't bother me anymore as I don't mine any longer.


What was different in 2005 if you dont mind. Did not start this till way after that.

You Miners think you have it so damn tough.  When I first started playing we didnt even have mining lasers.  You had to fly close to an asteroid.....pop a hatch and gnaw at it with your teeth.   - Bitter Vet

Previous page123Next page