These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Bad press

Author
Jiviar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2011-12-10 14:32:48 UTC
While looking over the eve online website for the second time in many years, I came upon this little repository of the latest press coverage of the game and I noticed a distinct lack of the summer fiasco, mass protests or any links to bad press coverage.

While I consider that it is a good practice for commercial entities with little regard for their consumers to hide bad press coverage, I think it's a bad practice for a company that now prides itself as being community oriented. Why you might ask?

Well, the very people that are responsible for PR are actively covering up previously made mistakes and as a result this might lead to future mistakes and misunderstandings.

TL&DR: CCP's is ignoring bad press coverage on it's press article listing.
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#2 - 2011-12-10 14:35:15 UTC
Ah you see CCP get a little bite of the good life and have tear it down for them as soon as possible.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Jiviar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2011-12-10 14:37:14 UTC
I thought that's what the forums were here for :)

But seriously, I appreciate all the effort that CCP is making. Eve has become a much better game. I don't want them to stop here though. So I believe we have to keep pushing so that everyone benefits.
Valei Khurelem
#4 - 2011-12-10 14:38:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Valei Khurelem
Oh please, you can throw positives on anything CCP does all you like but don't defend any practices regarding them censoring people who have criticism of the game or get angry about it.

I think the only reason I haven't been banned off this forum yet is because I offered them free hugs and I've finally managed to regulate the tone in my writing style so it doesn't sound like I'm about to rip people's heads off whenever a game developer talks about balancing or patches.

CCP is doing a much better job, but the problem is there are clearly a few assholes in the company and community ( not mentioning any particular names since we all know who they are ) who'd actually rather things stay the way they are or get worse and not let the devs who actually care about the game get on with things.

"don't get us wrong, we don't want to screw new players, on the contrary. The core problem here is that tech 1 frigates and cruisers should be appealing enough to be viable platforms in both PvE and PvP."   - CCP Ytterbium

Joseph Garcin
Doomheim
#5 - 2011-12-10 14:40:21 UTC
On the other hand, it does include a link to the presentation on "community management" which took place at the same time of the community protests (and which was given by someone who was later laid off for allegedly not managing the community properly).
Botleten
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2011-12-10 14:42:48 UTC
What??? You mean a corporation trying to sell its product is ignoring the bad while focusing on the good?? I'm so shocked! This is totally thread-worthy Roll
DarkAegix
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2011-12-10 14:43:28 UTC
OP, what can you seriously expect?
*sigh*
Valei Khurelem
#8 - 2011-12-10 14:43:56 UTC
Botleten wrote:
What??? You mean a corporation trying to sell its product is ignoring the bad while focusing on the good?? I'm so shocked! This is totally thread-worthy Roll

gtfo

"don't get us wrong, we don't want to screw new players, on the contrary. The core problem here is that tech 1 frigates and cruisers should be appealing enough to be viable platforms in both PvE and PvP."   - CCP Ytterbium

mechtech
Ice Liberation Army
#9 - 2011-12-10 15:14:07 UTC
Why would CCP promote negative press on a website designed to sell the game?

I don't know any MMO that is that stupid, it makes no business sense.

If you want a reality check, go to any major MMO forum. CCP is far better and more truthful and open PR wise than any other MMO over 100k subs.
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#10 - 2011-12-10 15:15:05 UTC
You have to be pretty stupid to expect CCP to promote negative press in that section.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

JC Anderson
RED ROSE THORN
#11 - 2011-12-10 15:20:25 UTC
Yes, there was a ton of bad press about CCP over this last summer.

And no, I highly doubt CCP (or any other company) is going to actively promote bad press written about them.
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#12 - 2011-12-10 15:22:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Chribba
Lady Spank wrote:
You have to be pretty stupid to expect CCP to promote negative press in that section.
Pretty much this. Why would anyone ever publish bad press on purpose?

edit/on purpose - by themselves...

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Jiviar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2011-12-10 15:52:32 UTC
If it's an archive on press coverage, why not have all the coverage listed and response to said coverage if it should happen to be bad? Not listing or ignoring bad coverage in such archives shows that the company considers the negative press coverage temporary and so the response is in kind temporary.

We are talking about an archive here - it's 3 layers deep in the site, it cannot be considered part of promotion material. Please re-read my original post if you think that I believe that this is part of promotional material.

The people responcible for said area of the site are the "other side" of the coin in terms of their role in getting points across about the community to senior management. What I am afraid of, and what the first 3 people in this thread picked up upon is that CCP would treat this whole incident as a temporary measure (situation/responce) and only implement these new policies to stem the tide of negative commentary till such a time where complacency sets in and we're back to square one.

Shouldn't the PR team be the driving force behind the community and CCP synergy or have they lost so much power and respect that they are overshadowed by the development team? If the PR team do take their role more proactively, shouldn't they have a full archive of the good and bad, and show us how the good conquered the bad. Confirming thus that they are infact on the consumer side and community oriented? It seems to me that PR team has been completely replaced by CSM and the Devs.
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#14 - 2011-12-10 16:10:15 UTC
Oh dear.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Captain Nathaniel Butler
The White Company
#15 - 2011-12-10 16:14:55 UTC
Chribba wrote:
Lady Spank wrote:
Pretty much this. Why would anyone ever publish bad press on purpose?

edit/on purpose - by themselves...

Indeed.

Lady Spank for C&P moderator.

Lucien Visteen
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2011-12-10 16:19:29 UTC
Jiviar wrote:
I thought that's what the forums were here for :)

But seriously, I appreciate all the effort that CCP is making. Eve has become a much better game. I don't want them to stop here though. So I believe we have to keep pushing so that everyone benefits.

And by everyone you mean?

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.

Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#17 - 2011-12-10 16:59:27 UTC
OP is a total troll. CCP openly talks about the situation over the last 6 months in both dev blogs and CEO blogs, and those are not taken down.

Learn to ******* read.

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Flakey Foont
#18 - 2011-12-10 17:09:51 UTC
Troll or extremely naive..
Pesky LaRue
Mercatoris
#19 - 2011-12-10 17:31:03 UTC
Botleten wrote:

this
DarkAegix wrote:
OP, what can you seriously expect?
*sigh*

this
mechtech wrote:
Why would CCP promote negative press on a website designed to sell the game?

I don't know any MMO that is that stupid, it makes no business sense.

If you want a reality check, go to any major MMO forum. CCP is far better and more truthful and open PR wise than any other MMO over 100k subs.

this
Lady Spank wrote:

and this.

To the OP - really? Are you THAT naive to how a business works?
Morganta
The Greater Goon
#20 - 2011-12-10 18:32:26 UTC
no such thing as bad publicity
12Next page