These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

finding abandoned ships/probes via exploration?

Author
Rory Falchion
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-09-01 11:18:27 UTC
Hi all, new explorer here. Don't see a section for exploration so I'm trying here. If there's a better section please let me know.

In looking at several exploration walk-throughs, I see reference to finding drones and abandoned ships. This leads to a couple questions.

First, when I scan for drones I see the notation "drone and probe" - I'm finding drones but no probes. Does anybody understand the probe part of this notation? Is it even possible to lose probes with auto-recovery?

Second, how in the heck would somebody lose a ship without it being destroyed? Seems crazy to "abandon" a ship.

thanks
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2014-09-01 13:03:31 UTC
Rory Falchion wrote:
Hi all, new explorer here. Don't see a section for exploration so I'm trying here. If there's a better section please let me know.

In looking at several exploration walk-throughs, I see reference to finding drones and abandoned ships. This leads to a couple questions.

First, when I scan for drones I see the notation "drone and probe" - I'm finding drones but no probes. Does anybody understand the probe part of this notation? Is it even possible to lose probes with auto-recovery?

Second, how in the heck would somebody lose a ship without it being destroyed? Seems crazy to "abandon" a ship.

thanks

Probes I am not sure, maybe that was written before the change.

The main place you find abandoned ships is in wormholes. People get stuck and pod destruct home.
Owen Levanth
Sagittarius Unlimited Exploration
#3 - 2014-09-01 17:52:29 UTC
Rory Falchion wrote:

thanks

Use combat probes, probe down what you want, done. You can lose probes if you forgot to recover probes before entering a wormhole or gate. You can also find active ships, so if you find someone apparently abandoned ship, it could turn out to be bait.

Some people are of course just stupid -in W-Space, some people will enter without probing equipment and then be trapped. Sometimes they find a way out, sometimes they self-destruct. And sometimes they just eject and self-destruct their pod, leaving the ship behind.

Probing down ships is normally done in PVP, though. But hey, if you're outgunning someone and you're reasonably sure it's not a trap, go for it! Big smile
Tyburn Stannis
Xenon Salvage Inc.
#4 - 2014-09-02 07:00:02 UTC
Scanning for ships leads to all sorts of fun and games - you can locate people running missions and tidy up their wrecks for them, you can find people in "safe " sots and watch them panic as you drop in to say hi, and then there is the holy grail of empty ships. Why would they be there? Quite a few reasons, couple spring to mind:

Some people leave an empty combat ship in space so they can swap in to it from their current ship, either because there is no station in system or because they know the station is being watched and want to spring a nasty surprise.

A while ago people with one account used to leave Orca's floating in space to use as mobile stations to mine ore into: park it off grid but close to the belt to reduce the time lost to travel to unload ore holds, plus you also have the option of a stored combat ship in case of rats. Of course if you scan down an unpiloted Orca the obvious step is to remove the dangerous obstruction from the spacelanes and send the owner a bill for littering... free Orca, free hulk, and hours of fun in evemail. *Whistles innocently* I mean... so I've heard... ;)

o/
Heinrich Erquilenne
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2014-09-02 10:25:44 UTC
Most of the "abandonned" ships you'll probe will be inside POS shield or near abandonned POS. Most of the times it's an expandable cyno ship people can use if they need to move/evac their capitals. You'll also find some "abandonned" haulers because that's useful when you do POS stuff. Some corps just don't want to spend POS CPU on a ship maintenance array. In rare occasions you might find a gem which is a truly abandonned cruiser or something better but that's extremely rare.
Alberik
Eusebius Corporation
#6 - 2014-09-02 11:04:42 UTC
i found an abondonned hulk some years ago. was before the changes in scanning when probes were not allowed to overlap and were lost during the scan process.
i cant think any reasons why to leave a ship midspace but sometimes it happens.
Rory Falchion
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2014-09-02 12:03:52 UTC
Thanks for all the responses. Another question comes to mind - if I find an abandoned ship and remove the hazard to navigation, will the owner have any idea who took it?
Yourmoney Mywallet
Doomheim
#8 - 2014-09-02 16:07:02 UTC
Rory Falchion wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. Another question comes to mind - if I find an abandoned ship and remove the hazard to navigation, will the owner have any idea who took it?

No.
Do eeet! Pirate
Owen Levanth
Sagittarius Unlimited Exploration
#9 - 2014-09-02 17:22:18 UTC
Rory Falchion wrote:

Not if you simply take it, for him it will be just gone.

If you want to tell him, destroy it. Then he gets a loss mail telling him you did this. So in a way, taking the ship as payment for hazard removal is better then just blowing it up.

This reminds me, I really should start training the few days left to pilot an Orca, just in case. Pirate
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#10 - 2014-09-03 17:38:22 UTC
Rory Falchion wrote:

thanks

I got stuck in a C5 in an orca before. Podded myself back to HS so I could get back to making money. Named the orca "merrry xmas".

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it