These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Black Op's 2014

Author
Warden Drawen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-08-30 13:04:51 UTC
Hi All,

I've seen many posts in regards to this, but they're all MASSIVELY outdated, so thought I'd get an up-to-date view point (thus the subject).

Ok so I'm looking at getting into a Sin. Having already sorted the covert ops side of things for my Nemesis, and the battleship side for my Dominix/Rattlesnake, it won't take a massive amount of skill points to get there, but I'm also NOT looking to waste my time on a pointless ship (as I have done in the past >.<).

So that's it guys; Black Ops ships, worth it or not?
Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#2 - 2014-08-30 14:14:53 UTC
Blops are absolutely worth it, if you already have a covert gang of pvpers to use with it.

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Warden Drawen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2014-08-30 17:11:30 UTC
Val'Dore wrote:
Blops are absolutely worth it, if you already have a covert gang of pvpers to use with it.

Getting a group won't be a problem, I have lots of mates with Covert Op's etc, just don't wanna waste time lol
Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#4 - 2014-08-30 17:33:18 UTC
Covert hotdropping is pretty fun stuff.

I invented Tiericide

NIFTYGetAtMe
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-08-30 19:19:12 UTC  |  Edited by: NIFTYGetAtMe
Just remember that the Blops Battleship is the big expensive taxi of the gang. They pretty much serve only to Jump Portal or Covert Cyno fleets in. They work alright outside of utility roles in much smaller scale things. Other CovOps ships like stealth bombers will likely remain a more attractive option due to their cost and the sub-par performance of Blops compared to t1/faction battleships. They're nimble, sure, but let's face it: Blops are pretty weak.
Kosetzu
The Black Crow Bandits
Northern Coalition.
#6 - 2014-08-30 22:01:33 UTC
If only they could fit cov ops cloaks instead of the cloak speed bonus...
NIFTYGetAtMe
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#7 - 2014-08-30 22:27:23 UTC
That's one thing people have been begging for all along and one of many things that will never happen.
Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#8 - 2014-08-31 00:30:24 UTC
Well, there was a time when CCP said Bombers wouldn't get the covops cloak... so we can hope they will see the light.

I invented Tiericide

Bibosikus
Air
#9 - 2014-08-31 12:17:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Bibosikus
CCP have alluded more than once in the past eighteen months that blops will get a proper rebalance (as opposed to Retribution's tweak), possibly as far as creating support/logistic and combat versions. To quote CCP Ytterbium some time ago, "Black ops are lame. They try to do two things and fail at both". But any real rebalance is probably still a fair way down the priority list.

Apart from their traditional roles as described above, Redeemer gangs have been used for good small scale pvp, and the Panther has a stonking decloak-fastlock-alpha volley setup if you've got isk to burn. Plus it's fun to motor around a gate camp at over 600m/sec while cloaked:)

The Sin is used to ninja some low/null plexes. Widows i think are rarely seen at all outside of blops gangs or without plenty of support. But someone is bound to contradict me..

Edit: There isn't a snowball's hope in Hell of a covert cloak on any bs, least of all blops. Just way way too op.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#10 - 2014-08-31 13:13:37 UTC
Bibosikus wrote:
Just way way too op.

People always say this... but they can never say why, except to regurgitate more myths about what will happen.

I invented Tiericide

Giuseppe R Raimondo
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2014-08-31 17:36:52 UTC
Blops Bs are fine. No need to change them at all
Warden Drawen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2014-09-08 07:02:45 UTC
Cool,

Thanks all for your input. I'm happy to say not one troll was present! Yey! I'll be going for my sin at Christmas time, so lots of saving to do and I have to try and find one! >.<

Thanks again! :)

Warden Drawen
Altirius Saldiaro
Doomheim
#13 - 2014-09-08 22:15:15 UTC
I just recently got into flying a blops. Love the ship amd love its abilities. Helps to jave an alt with cyno 5 as well in a t3 for bait. Went with Widow, but switching to Redeemer soon.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#14 - 2014-09-09 11:33:29 UTC
NIFTYGetAtMe wrote:
Just remember that the Blops Battleship is the big expensive taxi of the gang. They pretty much serve only to Jump Portal or Covert Cyno fleets in. They work alright outside of utility roles in much smaller scale things. Other CovOps ships like stealth bombers will likely remain a more attractive option due to their cost and the sub-par performance of Blops compared to t1/faction battleships. They're nimble, sure, but let's face it: Blops are pretty weak.

It's not a solo ship for sure. If you drop 5 of them and 2 bombers (for quick lock) it's pretty much the ultimate in surprise sex for small gangs.

They aren't week. They are BS that magically appear from several light years away. The are the ultimate tool in thwarting intel channels and the 'Gate of 1000 Bubbles'. The do good BS dps. They lock BS slow. They move BS slow (well, they are kind of nimble when cloaked). If you're only using them to bridgy bridgy, then you are missing out on a lot of fun.

My personal opinion is that cov ops cloak would be OP. Having 3 bombers cloaked in your system harassing you is one thing. Having 3 BS cloaked in your system (w/ cov warp capability) is totally another. You cov ops cyno passed all the intel and bubbles and start the fight deep in their guts... You need more than that??

As a WH girl I can say that cloaking a bomber in a null system shuts many of them down. Cloaking a BS w/ covert warp capabilities in a system would probably shut most of them down. I would say they are fine as is.
Kenshaiso
League of Non-Aligned Worlds
#15 - 2014-09-09 11:48:00 UTC
NIFTYGetAtMe wrote:

That's not true at all - if you know what you're doing. Plenty of groups use Blops BS's all the time and only use a bridge for pilots who cant jump themselves (non-BS cov-ops hulls) or for extended hunting outside of normal bridge range.
Kenshaiso
League of Non-Aligned Worlds
#16 - 2014-09-09 11:49:04 UTC
Giuseppe R Raimondo wrote:
Blops Bs are fine. No need to change them at all

Hi Giuseppe... erm nyx tackled? Love Ken.
Aurelius Valentius
Valentius Corporation
#17 - 2014-09-25 18:11:59 UTC
My BLOP, bridge, and Mobile Depot are all good friends - this was a great little tool for getting a gang around, then a quick refit to optimize with neuts on mine - I have had a few good runs so far [I only BLOP from time to time with a causal group], however I am still looking at the diversity of fits, but there does seem to be a lack of fitting info out there [not including the horrible fits, of which there are many].

I would love to know more about how the full-time BLOP fleet work their magic.