These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Has EVE's overall player base IQ gone down?

First post
Author
LazyDeer
Mandible Inc
COLONY.
#1 - 2014-08-30 04:42:25 UTC
I read the forums every now and then and all I see is so many players crying about game mechanics. Like ganking haulers and miners, scams in jita, Wardecs being a greifer tool, High sec not safe and more. Thing is, this has been going on all the time, and puzzles me how people can't learn from the past? So is EVE's overall IQ dropping?

bacon lettuce tomato
#2 - 2014-08-30 04:44:23 UTC
Those posts have always been there, so IQs are at least where they were before. Maybe they were always lower than you originally assumed.
Crumplecorn
Eve Cluster Explorations
#3 - 2014-08-30 04:45:48 UTC
Well, there always used to be posts like that, but I'd swear they are more frequent now than they were the last few times I've come back, closer to the frequency they had years ago.

Witty Image - Stream

Not Liking this post hurts my RL feelings and will be considered harassment

Carlos Brutus
Limitless Inc. Holdings
#4 - 2014-08-30 04:47:38 UTC
Are you for some reason under the impression that it's always the same players playing the game or posting on the forums? There's this thing called turnover. Though maybe you're right about the IQ thing in that the smart people are probably leaving Eve.
LazyDeer
Mandible Inc
COLONY.
#5 - 2014-08-30 04:49:59 UTC
So I have been playing a couple years now on different characters and I see more post about this crap with there being WAY more guides and information out there to help now a days. Before information was there but didn't slap you in the face and or was confusing.
Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
#6 - 2014-08-30 04:50:12 UTC
It isn't the complaints I find simplistic. It's the presumptuous replies.

R.I.P. Vile Rat

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2014-08-30 04:50:50 UTC
Carlos Brutus wrote:
Though maybe you're right about the IQ thing in that the smart people are probably leaving Eve.

I'm still here. Tippia's still here. There's a lot of smart people who are still playing.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

LazyDeer
Mandible Inc
COLONY.
#8 - 2014-08-30 04:51:45 UTC
Carlos Brutus wrote:
Are you for some reason under the impression that it's always the same players playing the game or posting on the forums? There's this thing called turnover. Though maybe you're right about the IQ thing in that the smart people are probably leaving Eve.

I am implying that as EVE's player base grows the overall IQ seems to be going down with more and more players.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2014-08-30 04:58:04 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
LazyDeer wrote:
Carlos Brutus wrote:

I am implying that as EVE's player base grows the overall IQ seems to be going down with more and more players.

The average IQ of the EVE player base has probably not changed significantly in a long time.

It's also fair to say that the average IQ of the player base is probably higher than that of the general population, so I'd guess... 105? 110? Somewhere around there.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#10 - 2014-08-30 05:00:18 UTC
IQ? No clue.

BMI? Definitely has not gone down.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#11 - 2014-08-30 05:03:50 UTC
I've always said the world's overall IQ has been on a steady decline since the internet came around. Does that count?

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#12 - 2014-08-30 05:07:13 UTC
I.Q. too STRONK! ❚█══█❚

Replace with shiptoasting..

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Charax Bouclier
Silvershield Universal
#13 - 2014-08-30 05:46:57 UTC
I blame you lazy vets for failing to subjugate these whiners to keep their mewlings at a minimum. Fortunately, it looks like James 315, Saviour of the Universe, is stepping up to the plate to rectify these matters.
Cancel Align NOW
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2014-08-30 06:00:12 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

Tippia's still here. There's a lot of smart people who are still playing.

FTFY
Sisohiv
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2014-08-30 06:42:22 UTC
The IQ requirements have been reduced.

In the Gallente Federation there are 'Mother corporations'. One such 'Mother Corp' is Quafe. Quafe owns several smaller corps that they use for specific aspects of their corporate objectives. Material Acquisitions is their mining and refining corporation. It's a Satellite corporation with very specific jobs, done for Quafe Corporation.

This is one example of the structure of New Eden. All corporations fit in to groups and satellite groups like this. It all meant something at one time. Now it's just fog. Getting standing with Quafe won't get you standings with Material Acquisition and getting standings with MA won't get you a secondary standings boost with Quafe. You really don't need standings with MA because all the things MA offer, Quafe offer as well. It was all nullified when they introduced the LP store and then reduced the types of missions we do.

One of the reasons Crius was less than spectacular is all this corporate intricacy has no impact on infrastructure or bonus in the decisions we make. It's all in a one size fits all formula and most of the complexity was phased out. Any potential for expanding this complexity is also gone. Consider BPO distribution. How different would the EVE manufacturing scene be if you had been required to figure out who owns BPO's and if you were required to get standings to obtain those BPO's as they define trade secrets?

Has the Overall IQ of EVE itself gone down, is the question.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#16 - 2014-08-30 06:53:21 UTC
Sisohiv wrote:

One of the reasons Crius was less than spectacular is all this corporate intricacy corpulent intimacy

And we're back on my topic again.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Gerald Sphinx
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2014-08-30 07:05:47 UTC
I'm a smart player still playing Eve since 2008. Or at least I'm smart enough not to put myself into the front-page news of Mittani's ALOD articles.
Solecist Project
#18 - 2014-08-30 07:08:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Solecist Project
Your question is too inaccurate to answer ... but I can help.

For literally every evolving, interactive product with interest in growth ...
... there comes the point when it starts to 'mainstream' ...
... which means that overall quality has to go down ...
... so that the overall amount of participants can increase.

It's easy to understand.

At the beginning, EVE was hard. It had only a small playerbase which enjoyed this fact.
As it was hard, it wasn't really something for the wider masses.

Eventually, as you know, the game turned easier.
You can call that 'less complicated' ...
... but I can argue about that.

Let's coin it 'complexity'. It's vague enough ...
... but everyone gets the point.

Fact of the matter is that obviously the level of 'complexity' has to go down
so the amount of players can increase. Many people do not find time or interest in
dealing with a level of 'complexity' above what they can easily manage.

In the beginning, the game was really hard.
Now, the game is less 'complex' and has more easy-way-in kind of things to do.
Obviously the average IQ decreased as the number of people increased,
because the number of easy-way-in things to do went up.

Less 'complexity' means that it's more appealing to more people
because there are less people interested in dealing with a higher amount of complexity.

Even easier: As the number of players went up ...
... the average IQ went down ...
... because there are less smart people than dumb people.

Also obviously the smart people who played when 'complexity' was high ...
... are mostly not playing anymore as the level of 'complexity' went down ...
... further lowering the average IQ.

Hey it's still early here and this is the best I can come up with now.

Over time, I have removed enough 'complexity' from this post ...
... to make it easily comprehendable for a wider range of people.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Crumplecorn
Eve Cluster Explorations
#19 - 2014-08-30 07:21:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Crumplecorn
Sisohiv wrote:
Consider BPO distribution. How different would the EVE manufacturing scene be if you had been required to figure out who owns BPO's and if you were required to get standings to obtain those BPO's as they define trade secrets?
Well there would be a lot more of grinding NPC content before you got to play the actual game, which is thankfully the opposite of the direction CCP is going in.

Solecist Project wrote:
Obviously the average IQ decreased as the number of people increased
At the moment the number of people is decreasing if anything.

Witty Image - Stream

Not Liking this post hurts my RL feelings and will be considered harassment

Solecist Project
#20 - 2014-08-30 07:35:11 UTC
Crumplecorn wrote:

Solecist Project wrote:
Obviously the average IQ decreased as the number of people increased
At the moment the number of people is decreasing if anything.
Irrelevant to the point and not comparable to the huge increase over the last ten years.

You are talking short-term, I am talking long-term.

I can argue here that the game got too "less 'complex'" and starts to lose it's appeal ...
... or that the number of "less smart" people increased enough in the last years ...
... that it seemed like the game is growing, but these people don't stay long enough.

There is not enough ground in reality to say anything about this,
or I simply lack data to look at this properly.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

123Next pageLast page