These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Add Rookie Ship BP's to the game! Possibly as BPC's from Pend Ins.

Author
Summer Isle
Autumn Industrial Enterprises
#1 - 2014-08-29 02:26:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Summer Isle
Can items that are manufactured be flagged as not being reprocessable? Hopefully...

Please add Rookie Ship BPO's to the game, or make the BPC's available on the cheap from Pend Insurance LP stores.

Edit 3 ::tl;dr of the thread: Yes, Rookie Ship's are available for free when you dock up in stations. This should not be removed, as it functions as a critical element to the game. However, Rookie Ships are the only non-limited-edition ships without a BPO or BPC available for them, and I would like to see this changed.

They won't make anyone any ISK as a manufacturing commodity, and they won't gain any prominent use in fleets or doctrines outside of joke-styled fleets (and cyno ships), but this isn't the purpose of giving them BP's. The purpose is to make them easier to acquire in bulk for those who want them, and to bring them in line with every other non-special-reward ship in the game.

The purpose of making the BP available in-game is purely for fun, from beginning to end. To claim otherwise is to misrepresent the idea.

One of the big reasons that I would like to see the Rookie Ship BP's made available in the game is because, if you want a different Rookie Ship than your race's ship, your only option is to use an alt, or purchase one from the market. For the vast majority of people (non-manufacturers), this would not change. For those who wish to do so, however, other options would become available if the BP were available. End tl;dr edit.

I would also like to point out that every character has one manufacturing slot available to them, even if they've never trained any manufacturing skills. Just because Rookie Ships may not be an item big-time manufacturers will put to use, non-manufacturers who want to get their hands on a number of them could acquire a BPC of them to mass-produce them without much difficulty.

Because of the type of ship it is, and that it can be obtained for free, I cannot expect that it would cost very much to produce, meaning the materials reduction would (or should) be a non-issue. Time reducers would be a bigger deal, but only in regards to the per-time-based fee of manufacturing. A non-manufacturer who wanted to acquire a number of the ships theoretically wouldn't care very much if the runs they're doing take a day longer than that of a high-skilled manufacturer.

Edit :: They're fun little ships, but much too underutilized. I blame this on them being a bit of a pain in the chutzpah to acquire. So, yes, please, Rookie Ship BPO's or inventable BPC's? End Edit

Edit 2 :: I acknowledge that invention would be silly, considering the cost of data cores, but having BPO's would still be nice. To those saying that nobody would ever manufacture them, the same was said when CCP made them available on the market. Jita and Amarr tell a different story, however (please note that this is copy / pasted from my response to Owen, below):

Please note that I'll be removing outliers over 1m ISK, but will be leaving the 0.01 ISK:

Jita

Velator: Total Purchased: 50,219. Avg. Price: 13,542.63. Outliers Remove: 3 (ranging from 7m to 39m)
Impairor: Total Purchased: 37,978. Avg. Price: 9,538.79. Outliers Removed: 6 (ranging from 1m to 1.2b [*1]).
Ibis: Total Purchased: 173,468 [*2]. Avg. Price: 6,897.26. Outliers Removed: 0.
Reaper: Total purchased: 26,893. Avg. Price: 12,529.58. Outliers Removed: 3 (ranging from 1m to 4.2m).

Amarr

Velator: Total purchased: 12,688. Avg. Price: 10,252.33. Outliers Removed: 1 (priced at 85m).
Impairor: Total purchased: 52,928. Avg. Price: 12,305.31. Outliers Removed: 10 (ranging from 1.5m to 620m).
Ibis: Total Purchased: 14,494. Avg. Price: 13,174.39. Outliers Removed: 2 (ranging from 12m to 130m).
Reaper: Total purchased: 7,289. Avg. Price: 15,570.43. Outliers Removed: 4 (ranging from 1.2m to 73m)

[*1] No, the 1.2b isn't a mistake. An Impairor was purchased for 1.18b on 2014.06.01. Another for 1.1b on 2014.07.27.
[*2] I'm assuming this is because it's Jita, and a lot (most?) station-traders are Caldari. They don't need a ship, so when they log in, they sell their Rookie Ship to the highest order. If you only log in once a day, with the above average, 365 Rookie Ships will net you an extra 2.5m ISK. While that isn't a lot, it's still something.

Talk is cheap, but Void S and Quake L are cheaper.

Yishna Strone
We Aim To MisBehave
#2 - 2014-08-29 05:20:34 UTC
Why would you need to manufacture rookie ships when you can simply undock in a capsule and redock again to get one for free?
Jur Tissant
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2014-08-29 05:23:11 UTC
As stated a rookie ship is super easy to acquire. They aren't underutilized because they're hard to get, they're just useless in most circumstances. Rookie ships are for new players just learning how to play the game, and for players who have just gotten blown up and need a quick hull.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#4 - 2014-08-29 09:46:05 UTC
Jur Tissant wrote:
As stated a rookie ship is super easy to acquire. They aren't underutilized because they're hard to get, they're just useless in most circumstances. Rookie ships are for new players just learning how to play the game, and for players who have just gotten blown up and need a quick hull.

and cynos don't forget cynos
Anthar Thebess
#5 - 2014-08-29 11:09:51 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

and cynos don't forget cynos

Yes this will end on this - produce large amount cheep rookie ships, and T1 expanders.
Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2014-08-29 12:29:57 UTC
Not sure if you're serious or just trolling forum on a quiet friday afternoon...?
Owen Levanth
Sagittarius Unlimited Exploration
#7 - 2014-08-29 12:35:34 UTC
Summer Isle wrote:
Can items that are manufactured be flagged as not being reprocessable? Hopefully...

Please add Rookie Ship BPO's to the game (or perhaps make them inventable from shuttles?)

Edit :: They're fun little ships, but much too underutilized. I blame this on them being a bit of a pain in the chutzpah to acquire. So, yes, please, Rookie Ship BPO's or inventable BPC's? End Edit

1. You can get new rookie ships for free, no one would ever manufacture them, except for free, but then again see to the beginning of this sentence.

2. No one sane would spend ISK and valuable datacores on something they can get for free, see above.

If you're trolling, good one, you got me. Big smile
Summer Isle
#8 - 2014-08-29 14:55:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Summer Isle
Owen Levanth wrote:
1. You can get new rookie ships for free, no one would ever manufacture them, except for free, but then again see to the beginning of this sentence.

2. No one sane would spend ISK and valuable datacores on something they can get for free, see above.

If you're trolling, good one, you got me. Big smile

I'm actually being serious. I enjoy messing around with Rookie Ships (though the other three of them need a bit of a buff to compare to the Velator).

In response to everyone who has said "Nobody would ever manufacture them!" Consider this: Originally, Rookie Ships were not on the market. CCP believed that nobody would ever want to purchase a Rookie Ship.

Jita and Amarr tell a different story, though, based on the last 365 days (please note that I'll be removing outliers over 1m ISK, but will be leaving the 0.01 ISK):

Jita

Velator: Total Purchased: 50,219. Avg. Price: 13,542.63. Outliers Remove: 3 (ranging from 7m to 39m)
Impairor: Total Purchased: 37,978. Avg. Price: 9,538.79. Outliers Removed: 6 (ranging from 1m to 1.2b [*1]).
Ibis: Total Purchased: 173,468 [*2]. Avg. Price: 6,897.26. Outliers Removed: 0.
Reaper: Total purchased: 26,893. Avg. Price: 12,529.58. Outliers Removed: 3 (ranging from 1m to 4.2m).

Amarr

Velator: Total purchased: 12,688. Avg. Price: 10,252.33. Outliers Removed: 1 (priced at 85m).
Impairor: Total purchased: 52,928. Avg. Price: 12,305.31. Outliers Removed: 10 (ranging from 1.5m to 620m).
Ibis: Total Purchased: 14,494. Avg. Price: 13,174.39. Outliers Removed: 2 (ranging from 12m to 130m).
Reaper: Total purchased: 7,289. Avg. Price: 15,570.43. Outliers Removed: 4 (ranging from 1.2m to 73m)

[*1] No, the 1.2b isn't a mistake. An Impairor was purchased for 1.18b on 2014.06.01. Another for 1.1b on 2014.07.27.
[*2] I'm assuming this is because it's Jita, and a lot (most?) station-traders are Caldari. They don't need a ship, so when they log in, they sell their Rookie Ship to the highest order. If you only log in once a day, with the above average, 365 Rookie Ships will net you an extra 2.5m ISK. While that isn't a lot, it's still something.

There is indeed a market for Rookie Ships, as the average low and highs tended to be quite varied (I didn't include them in this post due to character limits), excluding only the Ibis in Jita (the above footnote-2 likely applies to this, as well).

Just as CCP never expected Rookie Ships to have volume on the market, and a good many players thought it was a pointless endevor, the ships do indeed have a market (likely for the aforementioned Cyno ships).

It is of my opinion that, just as the surprise market for Rookie Ships exists, despite them being available for free, so too would we see that BPO's for Rookie Ships would be utilized. No, it won't be as common as other ships and regular frigates, but there would still be a manufacturing interest in Rookie Ships.

Fer'isam K'ahn
SAS Veterinarians
#9 - 2014-08-29 15:45:52 UTC
Troll post or ... well, reasoning is flawed. If you take the over one bil scam/laundry buys even as consideration for your market evalutation then you got mental issues.

How adding BPOs for free ships will support making profit from manufacturing them and not flooding the market into nothingness is another logic black hole.

Good Job, though, I'll link it to the righ thread.
Summer Isle
#10 - 2014-08-29 15:50:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Summer Isle
Fer'isam K'ahn wrote:
Troll post or ... well, reasoning is flawed. If you take the over one bil scam/laundry buys even as consideration for your market evalutation then you got mental issues..

...how does removing all of the 1m+ purchases mean I'm taking them into consideration? I pointed out the 1.1b and 1.18b Impairor orders more out of humor than anything.

If we're taking out BPO's of useless items, though, then let's get rid of all T1 frequency crystal BPO's, excluding the two used for T2 invention. The BPO's are essentially useless since a decent number of crystals drop from missions, as well as that they never get used up unless you choose to reprocess or trash them, or lose them with your ship.

Edit :: Adding something of actual substance to this post, BPO's for Rookie Ships would follow the same rules as every other item in the game that can be manufactured: They will reach an equilibrium.

Based on general reading, the two most common uses for Rookie Ships appear to be as Cyno ships and as slightly-beefier shuttles. In areas with fewer station options, such as nulsec, six-digit-priced shuttles and rookie ships aren't exactly rare. They may not be the most useful item in the game, but they still get used, the same as T1 crystals as mentioned above. End Edit

Fer'isam K'ahn
SAS Veterinarians
#11 - 2014-08-29 16:21:03 UTC
Strawmen ... my observation still stands.
Summer Isle
#12 - 2014-08-29 16:43:23 UTC
Fer'isam K'ahn wrote:
Strawmen ... my observation still stands.

Considering I didn't set up an argument for the purpose of defeating it, it isn't a strawman. Regardless, let's leave the attacks be and have an intelligent discussion on this, shall we?

The simplest fact I can boil this all down to is this: There are worse BPO's in the game than Rookie Ship BPO's would be. The above mentioned T1 crystals (especially small crystals) are some of them, but in large number of instances, T1 module BPO's are only useful for their T2 invention capabilities.

Meta mods are in many cases superior to their T1 counterparts, while costing less on the market and, in some cases, having easier fitting requirements. Using a T1 mod over a Meta mod is thus often a sub-optimal choice. Prop mods are a perfect example of this. Blasters are another. As are Shield Extenders. As are armor plates. As are many mods.

In these cases, the only real use of a T1 BPO is for making copies for invention.

Rookie Ships have two primary purpose (in my own experiences) once a player is out of the starter systems: Cyno ships and beefier shuttles. I don't deny that the ability to dock up and get one for free would make manufacturing them unfeasible in the majority of cases, but in areas where stations are spread out (such as nulsec), both shuttles and Rookie Ships routinely sell for 100k or more, despite the fact that Shuttles can be sold profitably for 15k, and Rookie Ships are free.

They may not be the most useful BPO available, but they wouldn't be the least useful, either (a dubious honor I would bestow upon several of the small frequency crystals, who have no T2 counterpart, but are readily-dropped by mission rats).

Fer'isam K'ahn
SAS Veterinarians
#13 - 2014-08-29 17:07:02 UTC
*Sigh*

Summer Isle wrote:
The simplest fact I can boil this all down to is this: .... The above mentioned T1 crystals (especially small crystals) are some of them, but in large number of instances....

THIS IS THE STRAWMAN ! ! !

Summer Isle wrote:
There are worse BPO's in the game ....

This is a terrible argument, can hardly consider it one. "Well, if its better then useless crap, it must be good ! " Shocked

The rest is absolutely meaningless, includes the Hume's Guillotine and delivers nothing.

I am not attacking you, I am attacking your reasoning, your observation and your conclusions, thereby your arguments. If that reflcts back on you in a bad way, it does so due to what you said, not what I noticed. If you rather like to feel hurt and ignore what has been said to pretend there is still something to discuss, fine, play your game alone. The King has fallen.
Summer Isle
#14 - 2014-08-29 17:43:23 UTC
It's an accurate statement, not a strawman: The same logic being used above by pretty much everyone else in the thread can be applied to T1 crystals, many of which only have a value due to their reprocessing value. T1 crystal BPO's already exist in the game, as do every other ship and mod can be manufactured (though some exist only as BPC's), excluding meta items. I suppose we should just consider Rookie Ships to be "meta" ships? Even pirate and faction ships have BPC's.

(Perhaps that would be a better solution: Provide the BPC's on the cheap from Pend Insurance.)

If, as it may turn out, that is still considered a "strawman" then I apologize, but it's a fair and accurate rebuttal to absolutes that were being put out by others.

On such a thought, a few people have acknowledged that Rookie Ships have do have a use, even if a very limited one. This is something I appreciate. My initial response that gained your "strawman" claim was to those who have said that Rookie Ships are useless: examples were provided (both by myself and others) in cases where they are not, and then examples were provided of existing BPO's which truly are useless.

Also, insinuating someone is "mental" is definitely an attack. I should probably just let that one drop, though, since in that same statement was based on inaccurate reading.

Regarding saying it's "good" because it isn't the worst, I never once said that. Interesting? Yes. Potentially useful? Yes. Good? I never said that. I simply pointed out that there are BPO's already in the game that have, in a very literal sense, no actual use. This was something I pointed out due to others making claims that there is no use for Rookie Ship BPO's -- an inaccurate statement -- despite actually-useless BPO's already existing.

X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#15 - 2014-08-29 17:52:48 UTC
Owen Levanth wrote:

BPO's would make doing rookie ship fleets much easier. One could purchase a boatload of them in Jita and then ship them (with fittings) to wherever the "LOL OP" is going to happen.
Feyrin
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2014-08-29 17:55:33 UTC
The addition of the pirate faction rookie ship BPCs as DED 1 & 2 loot drops is something I could approve of as a little something fun and different for new players.
Fer'isam K'ahn
SAS Veterinarians
#17 - 2014-08-29 18:17:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Fer'isam K'ahn
K, I answer one more time ....

Since you already braught the same apple and oranges comparison to an unrelated argument a third time, I stand corrected with part of my assumption concerning your reasoning abilities, especially since I pointed it out twice already and you are still using it.

So here we go again- A commodity which can be limitless replicated can not be compared with a commodity which drops once in a while in regards to it's production capabilities or market profits when limitlesness and rarity are the foundation the argument (its necessity to be producable by a player through another limited and costly feature) is built upon and then state they are the same.
If crystals would be replicatable limitless in the same fashion, then it could be a valid argument. - It is not even remotely.

Not even sure how you can compare an infinite free resource with one that has to be produced with effort and costs or found through effort.

Not to mention that losing a crystal only when the ship is destroyed or it is being reprocessed is in no way different the a rookie frig being destroyed or reprocessed. To say they are different in this regard is mental btw. And yes, you assumed rookie frigs are meant to be destroyed, while crystals are meant to last forever unless you make mistakes or choose to.
Summer Isle
#18 - 2014-08-29 18:27:32 UTC
Fer'isam K'ahn wrote:

Not even sure how you can compare an infinite free resource with one that has to be produced or found.

Rookie Ships can be replicated indefinitely. A T1 crystal, once acquired, will not wear out or be used up except under the same conditions that a Rookie Ship is lost: destruction through choice or at the business-end of someone's weapons.

I think it's less of an apples-to-oranges comparison, and more of a Gala Apple-to-Pink Lady apple comparison: Rookie Ships are infinite acquisition with one "use", whereas T1 crystals are infinite use with a single acquisition.

The end result is the same: You essentially have an infinite amount of what is generally considered to be a low-value item which, under the right circumstances, can be worth its ISK in gold (large T1 crystals on a structure shoot, cynoships).

Fer'isam K'ahn
SAS Veterinarians
#19 - 2014-08-29 18:42:55 UTC
Summer Isle wrote:
Rookie Ships can be replicated indefinitely. A T1 crystal, once acquired, will not wear out or be used up except under the same conditions that a Rookie Ship is lost: destruction through choice or at the business-end of someone's weapons.

I think it's less of an apples-to-oranges comparison, and more of a Gala Apple-to-Pink Lady apple comparison: Rookie Ships are infinite acquisition with one "use", whereas T1 crystals are infinite use with a single acquisition.

The end result is the same: You essentially have an infinite amount of what is generally considered to be a low-value item which, under the right circumstances, can be worth its ISK in gold (large T1 crystals on a structure shoot, cynoships).

Stupidity knows no bounds.

Summer Isle
#20 - 2014-08-29 18:57:14 UTC
Fer'isam K'ahn wrote:
Stupidity knows no bounds.

Likewise, mate. As much as I appreciate the bumps you've been giving me, my sanity would prefer you kindly bugger off ^_^

123Next page