These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Hyperion] Nestor Tweaks

First post First post First post
Author
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Doomheim
#461 - 2014-08-28 15:07:13 UTC
Quick question...

Comparing to a refit Orca, the maintenance bay is for reshipping, the fleet hangar for refitting...

So does this nestor change really mean you can use it to reship, but not to refit as described?

F
BFE
Shadow Flight
#462 - 2014-08-28 16:09:25 UTC  |  Edited by: BFE
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen wrote:
Quick question...

Comparing to a refit Orca, the maintenance bay is for reshipping, the fleet hangar for refitting...

So does this nestor change really mean you can use it to reship, but not to refit as described?

F

You must have the Ship Maintenance Bay for fleet/Corp Members to refit their ships' fitting (and also carry other ships). depending on your selected authorized users. The Fleet HANGAR is where they can store items/modules/ammo to be used with a refit. The Nestor's Ship Maintenance Bay's primary usage would be for you to refit your ship.

Having one and not the other hurts.... But at least with the Ship Mainenance Bay, those pilots who may carry a couple of modules in their own cargohold would still be able to refit it with the Nestor's Ship Maintenance Bay....

e.g. A drake in your fleet which is currently fitted for EM/Kin resists as their focus finds him/herself in a fight with Exp/Therm ammo being used primarily. (S)He gets close to the Nestor's Ship Maintenance Bay can then refit his/her own shield hardeners to what they want. If the Nestor has a Fleet Hangar, then the Nestor can carry the items for the Drake to use. This can be done on site with the fleet, rather than having to go back to a system with a station if you aren't in one.

The problem lies with the Modile Depot... Any ship with a large enough hold can carry it and then the fleet could use it. That's the point CCP wanted when they created it, so I'm not sure why there's such a focus on the Nestor having one.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#463 - 2014-08-28 16:29:59 UTC
With the mass exodus of smaller wormhole corporations now underway, the redesigned Nestor is once again DOA for any expanded role for wormhole applications.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Momiji Sakora
Omni Galactic
Central Omni Galactic Group
#464 - 2014-08-28 17:37:51 UTC
BFE wrote:

The problem lies with the Modile Depot... Any ship with a large enough hold can carry it and then the fleet could use it. That's the point CCP wanted when they created it, so I'm not sure why there's such a focus on the Nestor having one.

The idea is that the ships the Nestor is supporting won't have to use 50m3 of their cargo space holding their own depo, nor have to waste the 90s it takes to online the depo by bringing the Nestor. If you're going out to explore/do fleet things with the Nestor as a support ship, you want the cargo space spare for people to loot/salvage more things.
Komodo Askold
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#465 - 2014-08-28 20:34:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Komodo Askold
Wrent Simulus wrote:
My own personal hope would be a versatile logistics platform that could be used in a variety of situations. Hell, I think it'd be a really fun vessel to fly in incursions and mission/plex groups (even taking into account cost) as a versatile platform to support fleets, as my own play style leans towards support/logistics roles.
I'd like it to be able to perform such role too. I think the previous suggestion of extending its repping bonuses to shield RR would help the ship get closer to it; it's a quite interesting idea.

Momiji Sakora wrote:
The idea is that the ships the Nestor is supporting won't have to use 50m3 of their cargo space holding their own depo, nor have to waste the 90s it takes to online the depo by bringing the Nestor. If you're going out to explore/do fleet things with the Nestor as a support ship, you want the cargo space spare for people to loot/salvage more things.
I agree. There's a lot of difference between a Mobile Depot that has to be anchored and unanchored, can't move (thus is easy to scan down) and can only be used by its owner, and a battleship that can warp around constantly between safe spots (or remain cloaked, if one is willing to sacrifice a highslot and targeting time) whenever no fleet members need to refit, repair armor, or unload cargo, and can be used by the whole fleet.
BFE
Shadow Flight
#466 - 2014-08-29 15:43:42 UTC
Momiji Sakora wrote:
BFE wrote:

True... I'd forgotted that the mobile depot is for Launch For Self only.... Good point. If it was a Launch for Corp, then it'd be a different story....
Wrent Simulus
State War Academy
Caldari State
#467 - 2014-08-29 15:49:35 UTC
So I've been thinking...

Asking for the rep bonus to be shield and armor AND giving it a range boost would probably tilt the vessel too far into the "overpowered" range (despite all the other obvious drawbacks)

With that being said, would the introduction of modules that are centered on repping and logistics be viable?

For instance, a module(or rig) that increases the range of remote reps, even perhaps implants?

This would give logi pilots a little more choice when it came to fitting out their vessels, and provide some flavor to gameplay as well.

I still think the bonuses should be moved to both shield and armor, to encourage the use of the Nestor in a variety of roles.

-Regards
Kirluin
#468 - 2014-08-30 15:50:17 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:

We're going to increase the sensor strength of the Nestor a bit to better reflect its role as a high-tech support vessel.

Emphasis mine. For those who keep asking "What role do the devs want the Nestor to fill?" It's about the clearest answer to that I've seen.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#469 - 2014-08-30 18:06:41 UTC
Kirluin wrote:
Emphasis mine. For those who keep asking "What role do the devs want the Nestor to fill?" It's about the clearest answer to that I've seen.

It's still lacking in several key areas. Why not ditch the lasers and associated bonuses and give it the ability to have a clone vat bay?

Wrent Simulus
State War Academy
Caldari State
#470 - 2014-08-31 02:15:32 UTC
Kirluin wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:

We're going to increase the sensor strength of the Nestor a bit to better reflect its role as a high-tech support vessel.

I see this, but...

The increased sensor strength is nice; however, I believe that the hull as a whole should be reviewed to reflect this sentiment as fully as possible.

I'm a Nestor fan, and want to see this vessel become something unique and fun to fly.

I don't personally think that the proposed changes to the hull (in moderation, not all of them) would do anything other than re-introduce a great hull that had a role to play in groups of many sizes, without completely making obsolete existing hulls.

I want to say thanks to everyone who's participated so far in the conversation and I look forward to working together to present idea's that are reasonable and desired by the community to the CCP team.

-Regards
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#471 - 2014-08-31 06:16:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
I decided to "test-drive" the new Nestor and relay some constructive feedback. Overall (surprisingly enough) - these changes do make a noticeable difference.

The Good
• Mass, inertia, velocity and sensor strength - all great. They all tie-in nicely with the ship now.
• Ship maintenance bay - definitely a plus. Somewhere to finally park my Leopard.

Suggested Improvements
• The Nestor really needs a 7th low slot. I would be inclined to drop one laser turret/high slot (since grid is already an issue when trying to run Tachyons) and swap it for an extra low slot. I think this would expand some of the existing roles and make it more versatile.
• Slight increase in scan resolution from 125mm to somewhere in the 130-150mm range.
• A bit more power grid. 12,500 MW would be ideal.
• Slightly smaller signature (low mass and everything).

Ghaustyl Kathix
Rising Thunder
#472 - 2014-08-31 22:34:58 UTC
Quick question...

F
Nope, you can refit off of the Nestor. Tried it out on the test server to make sure.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#473 - 2014-08-31 22:41:42 UTC
Quick question...

F

Fleet hangers can not be used to refit in space only ship maintenance bays can be the fleet hanger can hold mods to use for refitting so that may be where you are confused
Vivianne Athonille
WHolely Unacceptable
#474 - 2014-09-01 02:55:25 UTC
Did a quick review of ships that have a ship maintenance bay...

Orca, Rorqual, carriers, super carriers, titans, and now the Nestor

What else do they all have in common (except for the Nestor at the moment) ?

Warfare links...
GordonO
BURN EDEN
#475 - 2014-09-02 20:28:15 UTC
Can you PLEASE give the RR bonuses to shields also ?? or are the plans to have a similar role based shield battle ship. it a really handy tool when helping out new players but only if they are armor tankers.

... What next ??

Mhari Dson
Lazy Brothers Inc
#476 - 2014-09-03 09:29:53 UTC
Did a bit of asking around and the nestor is the only non-missile BS that you simply cannot get into an incursion fleet with. If anyone has, please evemail me the fit.

As far as the nes and hacking, I've ran across one person that uses it for hacking COSMOS but otherwise I've heard nothing on it bieng used elsewhere for the same.

Exploration ships should be reasonably fast and agile, or at least middle of the pack. This....thing needs help. The bonuses remind me of a T3 I set up in eft while drunk.

switching to shield and armor rep bonus rather than just armor (Or have SOCT release their shield BS counterpart), instead of giving it bastion, set it up with a triage version of a bastion that increases rep range, tank and a bonus to rep cap usage would be beneficial.

it's 5am, sorry if I'm a bit scattered.
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#477 - 2014-09-03 11:17:09 UTC
Mhari Dson wrote:

switching to shield and armor rep bonus rather than just armor (Or have SOCT release their shield BS counterpart), .

An SoCT Logistics Battleship would be able to do both as they are focused on versatility.

An SoCT Battleship I imagine would have all the same bonuses as a Gnosis (damage+ scan probe strength + fit fleet assist mods) but also have the rep bonuses to shield and armour
Momiji Sakora
Omni Galactic
Central Omni Galactic Group
#478 - 2014-09-04 20:57:37 UTC
Mhari Dson wrote:
Did a bit of asking around and the nestor is the only non-missile BS that you simply cannot get into an incursion fleet with. If anyone has, please evemail me the fit.

As far as the nes and hacking, I've ran across one person that uses it for hacking COSMOS but otherwise I've heard nothing on it bieng used elsewhere for the same.

Exploration ships should be reasonably fast and agile, or at least middle of the pack. This....thing needs help. The bonuses remind me of a T3 I set up in eft while drunk.

switching to shield and armor rep bonus rather than just armor (Or have SOCT release their shield BS counterpart), instead of giving it bastion, set it up with a triage version of a bastion that increases rep range, tank and a bonus to rep cap usage would be beneficial.

it's 5am, sorry if I'm a bit scattered.

I am a long long term Nestor fan, and can tell you there actually there is a fit for a VG Nestor, and if you have the ISK it's possible to fit it for a HQ too, as a DPS ship, not as a logi (VG is currently the only place a nestor can logi viably without changing the current way Incursion FCs run them).

I'm currently not logged into EVE to send you the fit. You'll get a lot of FC's who moan or whinge about it, and you HAVE to have close to perfect drone skills (Sentry and racial spec to 5) before it becomes legitimately viable but it is possible.

At the moment the VG and HQ Nestor can out DPS and out maneuver the staple armour BS Napoc. It's additional rep bonuses mean if there is any panic moments in your fleet where you need extra logi help the Nestor can fill the gap amply and then some.

If your fleet needs a hacker or ore dropper it's speed and relic hack can fill both those roles!
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#479 - 2014-09-07 03:27:53 UTC
Spugg Galdon wrote:
Mhari Dson wrote:

switching to shield and armor rep bonus rather than just armor (Or have SOCT release their shield BS counterpart), .

An SoCT Logistics Battleship would be able to do both as they are focused on versatility.

An SoCT Battleship I imagine would have all the same bonuses as a Gnosis (damage+ scan probe strength + fit fleet assist mods) but also have the rep bonuses to shield and armour

You assume the Gnosis is standard for SoCT rather than a specific release they designed for the capsuleer market. Also note the skills needed to fly the Gnosis as a note, and how much it gets better with BC skills.....

So I think it's safe to say we won't see similar releases at the BS level that aren't limited.
MukkBarovian
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#480 - 2014-09-10 07:43:31 UTC
The Nestor has really weird agility problem after you guys messed with the mass, particularly when a propulsion module is turned on.

I hate to say it but I wish you guys would do something more for it to focus it a bit. As a drone boat its not really exciting because it gets the vanilla 50% damage/hp bonus and nothing else. To be exciting it needs tracking or drone range or drone speed or something. As a laser boat its particularly bizarre, because it doesn't have that many turrets and it doesn't have a damage bonus. There is no way it's efficient to stick heat sinks on there and focus on lasers. As a rep boat it has terrible scan resolution even for a battleship and no accommodation for capacitor. Not to mention the gimp range compared to a logi. For added ***** and giggle that 2.5 warp speed is a major tease. Its not fast enough to keep up with the cruiser roaming gangs like a Machariel but its like halfway there. Making it possible to fit off it in combat is interesting, but its an entire new direction again. In fact the ship is so scattershot that the slot layout almost encourages you to ignore the armor bonus and fit shields. You get a respectable tank and you can actually comfortably fit a full set of damage mods.

Stop throwing new abilities at this ship until people like. Figure out your vision for the thing and make it good at being that.