These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Are we getting smarter or stupider?

Author
Hengle Teron
Rorquals Anonymous
#21 - 2014-08-12 23:14:23 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Hengle Teron wrote:
stoicfaux wrote:
Mudkest wrote:
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” Albert Einstein

Speaking of Einstein:
“Einstein was once asked how many feet are in a mile. Einstein's reply was "I don't know, why should I fill my brain with facts I can find in two minutes in any standard reference book?”

that's what the metrics system is for

Good point. An inch is defined as 2.54 cm. A mile is 1.60934km. So 1.60934km/mile * 1000m/km * 100cm/m * 1"/2.54cm * 1'/12" = 5,280.0 feet per mile.

Metrics ftw!

eh I meant just use the metrics system and you will easily calculate kilometers into centimeters or kilograms into grams. And cubic meters into liters :)
stoicfaux
#22 - 2014-08-13 00:13:49 UTC
Hengle Teron wrote:
stoicfaux wrote:
Hengle Teron wrote:
stoicfaux wrote:
Mudkest wrote:
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” Albert Einstein

Speaking of Einstein:
“Einstein was once asked how many feet are in a mile. Einstein's reply was "I don't know, why should I fill my brain with facts I can find in two minutes in any standard reference book?”

that's what the metrics system is for

Good point. An inch is defined as 2.54 cm. A mile is 1.60934km. So 1.60934km/mile * 1000m/km * 100cm/m * 1"/2.54cm * 1'/12" = 5,280.0 feet per mile.

Metrics ftw!

eh I meant just use the metrics system and you will easily calculate kilometers into centimeters or kilograms into grams. And cubic meters into liters :)

Yes, yes. And one kilogram is approximately 4.59 x 10^7 Planck masses. We all know that metric is simple.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Nose' Feliciano
#23 - 2014-08-13 03:30:03 UTC
Somethings ive notice lately.

People not being able to read cursive.

People not being able to tie shoes (use velcro straps all the time)

People not being able to tell time on a face clock. Need a digital one.

Im not making this up.
Gallowmere Rorschach
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2014-08-13 12:16:04 UTC
I am almost one-hundred percent positive that the devices and internet are to blame, but not in the way you may think.
There have always been morons, half-wits, and those less desirable. I do not see a massive proliferation in their actual numbers.
What I do see, is a massive proliferation in the ability for the aforementioned people to spread their "thoughts" all over the place. The videos you see, of people doing incredibly stupid things: they've always done them. You just get to watch now. Their idiocy now has a voice, so to speak.
I find that I do not encounter any more idiots in my day to day life than I did ten to fifteen years ago. But I certainly see them a lot more often now; broadcasting their idiocy to the world, with a relatively cheap device.
The PC and internet aren't making morons; they're making morons obvious.
Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#25 - 2014-08-13 16:34:19 UTC
I always grrrrred at physics problems where the professor put both English units and metric units into the equation and then made us solve for both English Units and Metric Units. Fun times.
stoicfaux
#26 - 2014-08-14 01:27:10 UTC
Nose' Feliciano wrote:

It's not being taught in schools anymore due to keyboards making cursive obsolete.

Quote:

Don't get so uppity. You've probably been tying your shoes incorrectly all these years. http://www.ted.com/talks/terry_moore_how_to_tie_your_shoes

Quote:

Clocks are digital nowadays and have an AM/PM indicator and are more accurate. Why should people have to learn to do something that's inefficient, obsolete, or inherently inaccurate?

Quote:
Im not making this up.

We're not questioning whether you made it up. We're questioning your ability to keep up.

Twisted

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Derrick Miles
Death Rabbit Ky Oneida
#27 - 2014-08-14 11:21:19 UTC
Stupider. Definitely stupider. The whiskey helps numb the pain and speed the process along.
Nose' Feliciano
#28 - 2014-08-14 14:21:35 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Nose' Feliciano wrote:

It's not being taught in schools anymore due to keyboards making cursive obsolete.

Quote:

Don't get so uppity. You've probably been tying your shoes incorrectly all these years. http://www.ted.com/talks/terry_moore_how_to_tie_your_shoes

Quote:

Clocks are digital nowadays and have an AM/PM indicator and are more accurate. Why should people have to learn to do something that's inefficient, obsolete, or inherently inaccurate?

Quote:
Im not making this up.

We're not questioning whether you made it up. We're questioning your ability to keep up.

Twisted

...and if I pull the plug then I guess you'll be shat out of luck huh?What?
Ssabat Thraxx
DUST Expeditionary Team
Good Sax
#29 - 2014-08-27 01:55:06 UTC
"more stupid." Blink

\m/ O.o \m/

"You're a freak ..." - Solecist Project

Ares Desideratus
UNSAFE SPACE
#30 - 2014-08-27 16:44:41 UTC
Nose' Feliciano wrote:

...and if I pull the plug then I guess you'll be shat out of luck huh?What?

I didn't learn to tell time on a face clock until I was like twelve years old. Not because I was stupid, but because I thought face clocks were stupid. The way I saw it, there was no need for three hands on a clock, as in second hand, minute hand and hour hand. It didn't make sense to me. Stupid. Why should I need to multitask all this clock hand bullshit? It just didn't interest me.

I was going to post a similar reply to you as the one Stoicfaux did.

I guess we could always go back to using sun dials. Or just pay attention to the actual sun.

I think people are getting stupider in general. But as time goes on I believe, or hope, that we will get smarter.
Astenion
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2014-08-28 02:37:58 UTC
I'd say the title answers the question.
Nico Laitanen
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2014-09-04 23:24:57 UTC
Countries would have killed each other for the technology that smart phones bring only a few centuries ago. What do we use them for? Txt msgng, taking pictures of our own genitalia, and posting on the EVE forums whilst dropping a deuce.

Humanity is definitely getting "more dummer".

Welcome to Cosco, I love you.
Previous page12