These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Tactics and Strategies for Fleeing

Author
jschweg Arran
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2014-08-27 14:21:17 UTC
I wanted to open a topic to see what people view as the best strategies for escaping battles when death is fairly imminent Big smile

The one thing that I don't understand (still a noob) is the seemingly variable amount of time that it takes to warp out of a battle. I always have a destination set as an escape route and if I'm getting really beat up, I just use that destination and warp out to recharge. Most of the time after issuing that command it takes about 4-5 seconds and I'm gone. The other night after doing the same thing, my ship would literally not warp out. The engine readout said "Warping" but I ended up staying where I was for over 20 seconds and my ship got blown up.

If my capacitor has plenty of charge, my ship is not webified or under the influence of some type of electronic attack from the other ships, why randomly does it take so long to warp out? After re-buying my ship and all of the equipment again, the same thing happened last night and I almost lost my ship again. For every 5 times that I warp out successfully, I seem to have 1 instance where I just can't.
Thanatos Marathon
Moira.
#2 - 2014-08-27 14:38:52 UTC
Estella Osoka
Cranky Bitches Who PMS
#3 - 2014-08-27 15:02:48 UTC
Were you near an asteroid or some kind of structure (i.e. accel gate, debris, etc.)? If so, you could have gotten hung on one of those objects. Whenever you are planning to warp out, make sure there are no structures in your way.
jschweg Arran
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2014-08-27 15:22:45 UTC
Thanatos Marathon wrote:
This video might help you out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k86kx8rR5I

Actually it did, thank you. That amusing song lead me here:

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Aligning

and it would make sense that if I was facing the wrong direction it would take some time to turn, and then get up to speed.

That being said, if this is the issue, is there a better way to handle this? If I'm orbiting an enemy and find myself in trouble, is there a way I can just somehow click some space that is already in front of me and get me out of there faster?
Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-08-27 17:14:40 UTC
jschweg Arran wrote:
Thanatos Marathon wrote:

and it would make sense that if I was facing the wrong direction it would take some time to turn, and then get up to speed.

That being said, if this is the issue, is there a better way to handle this? If I'm orbiting an enemy and find myself in trouble, is there a way I can just somehow click some space that is already in front of me and get me out of there faster?

I have what's called a GTFO tab on my overview. It shows all planets, asteroid belts, gates, the sun, and customs offices. When I know I want to try to escape, I flip to that tab, and in space it will display all the listed things, I then do my best to grab one which is roughly in line with my ship so it has the lowest align time possible. If you're not %100 sure you will want to warp out, you can always chose a target and align to it without warping, then if you do need warp out, you'll already be aligned. Ideally when you do this, warp to the object at 100km, that way even if they manage to guess which celestial you warped, they won't land right on you.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Praise James, Supreme Protector of High Sec.

jschweg Arran
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2014-08-27 17:33:37 UTC
Tengu Grib wrote:
jschweg Arran wrote:
Thanatos Marathon wrote:

I have what's called a GTFO tab on my overview. It shows all planets, asteroid belts, gates, the sun, and customs offices. When I know I want to try to escape, I flip to that tab, and in space it will display all the listed things, I then do my best to grab one which is roughly in line with my ship so it has the lowest align time possible. If you're not %100 sure you will want to warp out, you can always chose a target and align to it without warping, then if you do need warp out, you'll already be aligned. Ideally when you do this, warp to the object at 100km, that way even if they manage to guess which celestial you warped, they won't land right on you.

This is a great idea. I think I'm going to give this a shot. Thanks!
Princess Nexxala
Zero Syndicate
#7 - 2014-08-27 17:35:23 UTC
+1 for GTFO tab

nom nom

Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2014-08-27 18:38:49 UTC
You can also put moons on it, but seeing as they don't show up in space, it doesn't help so much. If you need to warp somewhere and have people not be able to follow you though, warping to a moon is really good. Just watch out for hostile towers.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Praise James, Supreme Protector of High Sec.

Rabe Raptor
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#9 - 2014-08-27 22:07:29 UTC
Tengu Grib wrote:
jschweg Arran wrote:
Thanatos Marathon wrote:

This is a strategy I employ often though I prefer using the brackets to actually find something I am nearly aligned to rather than the overview.

Together we can make Highsec a better place! www.lawofhighsec.com

Read it, share it, learn it, quote it, memorize it,  live it, breathe it!

Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2014-08-31 18:37:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Tipa Riot
How do you manage to warp at 100 in an emergency case?

90% it is about getting your pod out, so I just spam 'S' + click on a random target on my well assorted GTFO tab ... in warp you have time to pick your next target you can warp to immediately you arrive at you emergency location ...

I'm my own NPC alt.

Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2014-08-31 19:10:24 UTC
If you are not already aligned (or nearly aligned with some low percentage of error) your ship will take the same amount of time to warp regardless of the direction you choose, if there are no obstacles in the way. If you got stuck, immediately press ctrl+ space to stop your failed warp attempt and gain control of your ship back and choose a different target.

... and don't put moons on your GTFO tab unless you know what you do. Warping there and staying longer than a couple of seconds in low/null means your certain death from POS guns.

I'm my own NPC alt.

Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#12 - 2014-08-31 21:36:33 UTC
Confirming it does not matter which way your ship is facing, only which way it is moving. Anything that messes with your vector is 'bumping' you. It can be anything from a player in another ship, to a corpse.

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#13 - 2014-09-02 19:33:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Cara Forelli
Tipa Riot wrote:

90% it is about getting your pod out, so I just spam 'S' + click on a random target on my well assorted GTFO tab ... in warp you have time to pick your next target you can warp to immediately you arrive at you emergency location ...

Well you can always change your default "warp to" range by right clicking the "warp to" icon in the selected items box. Just don't forget to change it back so you aren't landing 100 km off a gate when you didn't mean to...

Also, learn to love the selected items box. It's much easier to spam click the "warp to" icon than trying to click and press S.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Substantia Nigra
Polaris Rising
Goonswarm Federation
#14 - 2014-09-03 02:43:01 UTC
I run a collection of 'GTFO' overview settings and always have one (usually the POCO one) set as default for my fifth, GTFO, overview tab. I keep them sorted alphabetically with my PvP overview setting so they're named things like 'PvP - GTFO POCOs'. 'PvP - GTFO moons', 'PvP - GTFO planets' (etc).

Depending on the circumstances of the particular fleet op I will change the default GTFO selection.

Other than bubbles the biggest PITA for bravely-running-away (for me at least) has been prop-mod activation. The MWD seems to turn a cruiser into a titan in terms of wanting to warp away from the fray if you are no already aligned.

I have also found bookmarks very handy for bravely-running-away, especially when a perch bookmark directly above me is also the shortest route out of the bubble quagmire we're fighting in.

I guess I am almost a 'vet' by now. Hopefully not too bitter and managing to help more than I hinder. I build and sell many things, including large collections of bookmarks.

Yang Aurilen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#15 - 2014-09-03 03:35:09 UTC
Make sure whatever celestial you're running away into has several of them inline with each other. Makes it hard for that smartbombing proteus to catch your pod.

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#16 - 2014-09-03 04:11:51 UTC
Just to add a couple things:

Webs help you warp faster, like a slingshot. Being webbed only, is a good thing.

Low capacitor is also good. It means you can warp, but may not make it all the way to your target. You'll stop at some random point in space for an instant safe spot.
Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2014-09-03 10:47:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Tipa Riot
Cara Forelli wrote:
Tipa Riot wrote:

Well you can always change your default "warp to" range by right clicking the "warp to" icon in the selected items box. Just don't forget to change it back so you aren't landing 100 km off a gate when you didn't mean to...

Yeah, if I have time I manually warp to something >0 (especially if covops cloaked), but learned the hard way to not have my default set to something bigger than 0. It's way to easy to forget switching back ... and in fleet you always have default to 0 anyway.

Cara Forelli wrote:

Also, learn to love the selected items box. It's much easier to spam click the "warp to" icon than trying to click and press S.

I think both options are almost equally fast but pressing 'S' + click (overview will stop resorting like with CTRL) I'm feeling more comfortable with under stress and last second reaction also as I don't need to hit the exact point on the screen (warp to button), but any line in the middle of GTFO overview is just fine.

I'm my own NPC alt.

Valkin Mordirc
#18 - 2014-09-03 11:08:16 UTC
It's also a good idea once you break someone's point, is to warp to a moon, usually a planet with multiple moons, it's really hard to guess where someone warped off to when they zip to a planet that's 40 AU away that has 9 moons with it. Sometimes if the planet is close, and the player who has aggressed you is fully aware how to use his overview and you warp to a close moon, he might assume you have a safe spot in system.

Also NEVER warp to a gate when the enemy has sight on you, warp to a planet/moon at a random distance, then either warp again to another spot insystem, again not a gate, finally warp to gate and jump. This will make the chasing player have a hard time keeping track of you.

I've outran Cruiser and Frigates with a Naga using this tactic. It puts a lot of stress on the chaser, I was even complimented on my ability to avoid them. =P
#DeleteTheWeak
Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#19 - 2014-09-03 17:40:16 UTC
Valkin Mordirc wrote:
It's also a good idea once you break someone's point, is to warp to a moon, usually a planet with multiple moons, it's really hard to guess where someone warped off to when they zip to a planet that's 40 AU away that has 9 moons with it. Sometimes if the planet is close, and the player who has aggressed you is fully aware how to use his overview and you warp to a close moon, he might assume you have a safe spot in system.

Also NEVER warp to a gate when the enemy has sight on you, warp to a planet/moon at a random distance, then either warp again to another spot insystem, again not a gate, finally warp to gate and jump. This will make the chasing player have a hard time keeping track of you.

I've outran Cruiser and Frigates with a Naga using this tactic. It puts a lot of stress on the chaser, I was even complimented on my ability to avoid them. =P

This. Also if you roam through the same systems consistently, i set up perches off the gates. That way, when a gate is 15+ au away, i can warp 200 off and scope it out. If its clear i can just warp from perch. The added bonus to this is you can separate the gang when they try to burn for you. Get a couple kills before warping off. Rinse/repeat.
Tinu Moorhsum
Random Events
#20 - 2014-09-04 08:57:50 UTC
jschweg Arran wrote:
I wanted to open a topic to see what people view as the best strategies for escaping battles when death is fairly imminent Big smile

If my capacitor has plenty of charge, my ship is not webified or under the influence of some type of electronic attack from the other ships, why randomly does it take so long to warp out? After re-buying my ship and all of the equipment again, the same thing happened last night and I almost lost my ship again. For every 5 times that I warp out successfully, I seem to have 1 instance where I just can't.

You warp out of a battle with your ship intact?
12Next page