These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

425mm Railgun visual redesign request

Author
Sarge Ironside
Norwegian Terrorist Organization
#1 - 2014-08-26 23:23:05 UTC
I know this may be completely nitpicky, but here it goes:

Railguns, by and large, look great. The disappointing trend, I'm afraid, is that the bigger they get within their size category; the uglier they look.
Look at the 200mm; it looks amazing. The 250mm looks robust i guess. The 425mm... what were you thinking?? What did it ever do to deserve that?

- The base is round. Does not match ANY Caldari ship design and actually stick out from the weapon mounts on the Rokh and the Naga.
- The animation is very much "meh!".
- The turret housing is dome shaped... on angled ship designs.
- The gun itself looks like it was inspired by a lego piece.
- Again: The end of the line large railgun has a base that does not fit on the turret mounts of the large railgun platforms!.

CCP; There is no excuse. A shameful display! Send someone to the timeout corner at the very least.

A redesign towards a model more akin to the other, high-tech looking, railgun models is very much warranted. At least make the base fit the go-to railgun platforms that you yourselves designed. I mean... how?

Be grateful I didn't mention the sparkly twilight'esque "pewipp" sound rails make on impact. Very ominous indeed...
(They actually make my 3 and 5 year olds laugh their tiny heads off)
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#2 - 2014-08-27 00:29:08 UTC
I actually think the exact opposite. The 200mm and 350mm all look terrible IMO. The 250mm and 425mm railgun look the way railguns SHOULD look.

Beefy, compact, with an actual hole the ammo shoots from. The 200 and 350 look like scaffolding with glowing beetle pinchers on the end.
Minty Aroma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3 - 2014-08-27 01:26:17 UTC
The 200 and 350mm guns actually have the magnetic rails on show, so are exactly how railguns should look as shown here -http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/railgun-8.gif
Lothras Andastar
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2014-08-27 03:28:45 UTC
If you are playing the game zoomed in enough to actually see the ship model, you are playing the game wrong.

Because the Legacy Code has too much Psssssssssssssssh, nothing will ever get fixed until CCP stop wasting money on failed sparkle MMOs and instead rewrite the entire backend of EvE from scratch.

Vincintius Agrippa
Crimson Serpent Syndicate
#5 - 2014-08-27 03:42:11 UTC
How about lets make rails on non tracking bonused ships not completely suck balls :)
Only YOU can prevent internet bullying!
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#6 - 2014-08-27 04:17:03 UTC
you haven't seen the projectile turrets with square barrels yet ;)

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2014-08-27 05:41:00 UTC
All large turrets are quite disappointing in my opinion...
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#8 - 2014-08-27 06:09:40 UTC
Many turrets don't even make any sense. Take the Projectile artilleries, for example, with their angled barrels. These guns would be destroyed after the first shot in real life. Also, most guns, if not all with the exception for lasers, have no ammo feed., again very apparent on the projectile weapons, but also on launchers and hybrids.

With regards to the actual topic, I think that all hybrids look fine. The placement on the Naga could be pushed down a little bit to not have them project over the ship's hull. And on the Rokh, the weapon mounts could be widened a little bit.

--

Lothras Andastar wrote:
If you are playing the game zoomed in enough to actually see the ship model, you are playing the game wrong.

Would you please be so kind and biomass, so that you can go back and play the first Elite?

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Kaerakh
Obscure Joke Implied
#9 - 2014-08-27 07:12:18 UTC
Minty Aroma wrote:
The 200 and 350mm guns actually have the magnetic rails on show, so are exactly how railguns should look as shown here -http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/railgun-8.gif

That's without the housing. Blink If you look at any railgun test, they all look like a tube with two rectangular poles on the sides. If anything, the barrels should look wide with a hole in the middle.
FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#10 - 2014-08-27 07:43:09 UTC
the thing i dont get is if you do the math (and i did i was bored) and math out the thickness of a railgun round in a 425mm railgun based on the volume of the round, its like an inch thick... you're firing a disk:)

Of course artillery are an even more egregious offender in this but that's another story entirely!
ApolloF117 HUN
The All-Seeing Eye
Seventh Sanctum.
#11 - 2014-08-27 11:23:07 UTC
old 425mm rail model was better :3
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2014-08-27 12:48:02 UTC
Bienator II wrote:

have you seen the sizes of those rounds? im afraid non-american cars are INDEED square, so the shape fits.

Persoanlly, i think EVERY weapon should be redone visually to check what ship its being put on to determine graphics, so a beam laser on amarr ships would lok like and amarr laser, but on say a gallente ship the housing and construction would look different.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#13 - 2014-08-27 16:35:51 UTC
Nariya Kentaya wrote:
Bienator II wrote:

have you seen the sizes of those rounds? im afraid non-american cars are INDEED square, so the shape fits.

Persoanlly, i think EVERY weapon should be redone visually to check what ship its being put on to determine graphics, so a beam laser on amarr ships would lok like and amarr laser, but on say a gallente ship the housing and construction would look different.

Do the rectangular rounds also have wheels to roll out of the barrel?

Regarding the different shapes on different races' ships, that would probably require way too much effort and doesn't really make sense to begin with. A Tachyon Laser from Imperial Armaments is still a Tachyon Laser, regardless whether it's on an Abaddon or a Hyperion. As nice and fancy as the color adaption are, even thy don't really make sense because who can respray hundreds of square meters of surface in different colors in less than a second? Blink

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#14 - 2014-08-27 18:36:32 UTC
Bienator II wrote:

Its for use on Nonamarr
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2014-08-27 19:11:04 UTC
Rivr Luzade wrote:
Nariya Kentaya wrote:
Bienator II wrote:

Do the rectangular rounds also have wheels to roll out of the barrel?

Regarding the different shapes on different races' ships, that would probably require way too much effort and doesn't really make sense to begin with. A Tachyon Laser from Imperial Armaments is still a Tachyon Laser, regardless whether it's on an Abaddon or a Hyperion. As nice and fancy as the color adaption are, even thy don't really make sense because who can respray hundreds of square meters of surface in different colors in less than a second? Blink

to argue for it, would a tachyon laser designed to integrate onto an amarr ship with hardmounts DESIGNED for that weapon system, be expected to be placed on a gallente ship with hardmounts and systems designed for blasters, without modifications? It would make sense in a lore/reality sense that youd swap out the chassis and some integration components between 2 dissimilar techs in order to get them to fit together.

And yeah, it may be alot of work, but it'd still look cool.
Matcha Mosburger
Matsuko Holding
#16 - 2014-08-27 21:40:11 UTC
Sarge Ironside wrote:

- The base is round. Does not match ANY Caldari ship design and actually stick out from the weapon mounts on the Rokh and the Naga.

CCP; There is no excuse. A shameful display! Send someone to the timeout corner at the very least.

A redesign towards a model more akin to the other, high-tech looking, railgun models is very much warranted. At least make the base fit the go-to railgun platforms that you yourselves designed. I mean... how?

I just want to point out that Gallente use Hybrids as well. So changing them just to match caldari is kind of 1 sided.

Since Gallente ships, and Hybrids already have round bases, it's way less work to change the Caldari model to have round turret hardpoints, then change all Gall ships and all modules.
Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#17 - 2014-08-27 23:16:25 UTC
There are blasters that are ugly and squarish.

So take that, OP.
Vincintius Agrippa
Crimson Serpent Syndicate
#18 - 2014-08-28 05:18:57 UTC
Rivr Luzade wrote:
Many turrets don't even make any sense. Take the Projectile artilleries, for example, with their angled barrels. These guns would be destroyed after the first shot in real life. Also, most guns, if not all with the exception for lasers, have no ammo feed., again very apparent on the projectile weapons, but also on launchers and hybrids.

With regards to the actual topic, I think that all hybrids look fine. The placement on the Naga could be pushed down a little bit to not have them project over the ship's hull. And on the Rokh, the weapon mounts could be widened a little bit.

--

Lothras Andastar wrote:

Would you please be so kind and biomass, so that you can go back and play the first Elite?

Actually, rocket launchers, after expending ammo, switch upward into a vertical position and clamp down on the hull. ( yes, I did zoom in on my vengeance :) I can only assume the launchers are being reloaded. After loading, the launchers un clamp and roll over into fire position and tracks (yes the entire launcher spins about an axis horizontally and pitches vertically) its target.
Only YOU can prevent internet bullying!
Luwc
State War Academy
Caldari State
#19 - 2014-08-28 08:08:46 UTC
Gallente is round
Gallente also has hybrids.

this is eve ? : http://www.thetoysavenue.com/gallery/brilliant-basics-babys-first-blocks/brilliant_basics_baby_first_blocks_1.jpg

http://hugelolcdn.com/i/267520.gif

Sarge Ironside
Norwegian Terrorist Organization
#20 - 2014-09-19 19:33:20 UTC
Matcha Mosburger wrote:
Sarge Ironside wrote:

I just want to point out that Gallente use Hybrids as well. So changing them just to match caldari is kind of 1 sided.

Since Gallente ships, and Hybrids already have round bases, it's way less work to change the Caldari model to have round turret hardpoints, then change all Gall ships and all modules.

- If they implement round hardpoints then they'd have to change all rail bases to fit.
- Gallente do use rails, but Caldari do them better and are designed around them.
- Even given that Gallente use rails, the end-of-the-line railgun should fit the boats designed specifically around them.
- I agree that angled blasters make no sense. They're a Gallente trademark by the same reasoning I grant Caldari the rails.
12Next page