These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How long do you think EvE will last?

First post First post
Author
Grainsalt
Independent'R'Us
#21 - 2014-08-25 12:05:42 UTC
Eve will last until...
Alastair Ormand
Mine all the things
#22 - 2014-08-25 12:11:35 UTC
Alas, the servers will someday shut down and this Universe will come to an end and the cold dead void of New Eden will be no more. Maybe the data will be kept so that one day we can look back and see the destruction that was wrought and the memories that we made.

Man. Got a little nostalgic there. Sorry guys.

I discourage running with scissors.

Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#23 - 2014-08-25 12:18:17 UTC
Derrick Miles wrote:
In 5.5 billion years when the sun expands and the earth gets cooked. Then we celebrate the release of Eve Online 2 in the Andromeda galaxy.

I predict that this will happen. I also predict that Ishtars will still be OP.

Big smile
Jenn aSide
Dreddit
#24 - 2014-08-25 12:32:01 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Marc Durant wrote:

*Snip* Please refrain from discussing other (non-EvE/Dust/Valkyrie) games. ISD Ezwal.That means that CCP will (have to) focus more on PVP related content to keep and enhance its niche; less super safe silliness, reverting changes that have been happening for years to make it more mainstream (or at least stopping the inevitableness of it).

It also makes EVE less of a candidate to be taken over by a "larger entity" (EA). It's win-win really.

*Snip* Removed reply to an edited out part of the quoted post. ISD Ezwal.

You see, our 'carebears' complain loudly about the freedom everyone else has (freedom to screw with their carebearing), they lobby CCP for more safety, they crap up both forum and blog with their cries. Then another MMO comes out that caters EXACTLY to what they say they want (protection from 'griefers', 'good/immersive pve', walking around, 'procedural generation', a less stringent 'death penalty' etc etc etc). They go there and play and are happy for 5 minutes.

Then they realize that they aren't having fun, because now their are no 'griefers' against which they can measure themselves and give themselves a false sense of 'I'm better than those gankers because I'm nice to people in a spaceship game' superiority. Without the people they claim to hate and want to get away from, they are lost and have no reason to post in threadnaughts or blog incessantly about how terrible people are.

Point blank, those carebears need EVE way more than EVE needs their subscription.

So while they will always LOUDLY depart EVE, they will of course come back (much more quietly), not because EVE is a great game (it is), but because EVE exposes something about themselves that they both hate and can't live without.
Velarra
#25 - 2014-08-25 12:58:54 UTC
As it hasn't shown up in the thread:

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility
Vyl Vit
#26 - 2014-08-25 13:00:25 UTC
It'd be foolish to believe there's not a certain amount of inevitability involved. For instance, it was inevitable the original CCP development team would come out of the garage with this game, and that it would flourish...and they'd get grey and less daring...and it would become corporate, though less so than other counterparts - games that is.

It's inevitable this all be passed along to a younger generation coming up that already exhibits signs of lacking any intellectual or imaginative prowess. Even their organizational skills lag far behind their "look at me, ain't I cool?" skills. So, the future does look grim in a lot of respects.

I believe EVE will last as long as there's electricity to run it, and people with money to fund it. I even think it'll last far beyond us in some form - and you'll be able to find it even on a wildly bootlegged, underground internet - should that eventuality occur in more than futuristic tales and movies.

But, right now I'm looking at a volcano that might have something to say about it all in the near term. SURE, the servers are in ENGLAND, but the brains! Where are the brains! *checks his pockets*

I don't have them!

Paradise is like where you are right now, only much, much better.

Jur Tissant
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2014-08-25 13:11:16 UTC
Valkin Mordirc wrote:
Everytime someone says EVE is Dying, a player biomasses. You can do the math from there, Q.Q

Think of the players!

Well with 20,000 of those posts a day you would think the playerbase would be about dry by now.
Adrie Atticus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#28 - 2014-08-25 13:13:37 UTC
A caring player makes lots of noise, developers need to be concerned of those saying nothing.
Owen Levanth
Sagittarius Unlimited Exploration
#29 - 2014-08-25 13:21:29 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Jenn aSide wrote:
Marc Durant wrote:
*Snip* Please refrain from discussing other (non-EvE/Dust/Valkyrie) games. ISD Ezwal.That means that CCP will (have to) focus more on PVP related content to keep and enhance its niche; less super safe silliness, reverting changes that have been happening for years to make it more mainstream (or at least stopping the inevitableness of it).

It also makes EVE less of a candidate to be taken over by a "larger entity" (EA). It's win-win really.

*Snip* Removed reply to an edited out part of the quoted post. ISD Ezwal.

You see, our 'carebears' complain loudly about the freedom everyone else has (freedom to screw with their carebearing), they lobby CCP for more safety, they crap up both forum and blog with their cries. Then another MMO comes out that caters EXACTLY to what they say they want (protection from 'griefers', 'good/immersive pve', walking around, 'procedural generation', a less stringent 'death penalty' etc etc etc). They go there and play and are happy for 5 minutes.

Then they realize that they aren't having fun, because now their are no 'griefers' against which they can measure themselves and give themselves a false sense of 'I'm better than those gankers because I'm nice to people in a spaceship game' superiority. Without the people they claim to hate and want to get away from, they are lost and have no reason to post in threadnaughts or blog incessantly about how terrible people are.

Point blank, those carebears need EVE way more than EVE needs their subscription.

So while they will always LOUDLY depart EVE, they will of course come back (much more quietly), not because EVE is a great game (it is), but because EVE exposes something about themselves that they both hate and can't live without.

To summarize this wall of text, Eve players are essentially junkies.

An Eve player actually giving up on Eve is like a heroin junkie giving up his drugs:It can happen, but isn't really a chance you should bet on.

Edit:

What the hell? Names of drugs are censored? What kind of censorship is this, the stupid kind?
Tarpedo
Incursionista
#30 - 2014-08-25 13:35:55 UTC
Without gameplay and territorial updates EVE is pretty much over for me since last November (I got these updates playing other spaceship MMO games).
Charax Bouclier
Silvershield Universal
#31 - 2014-08-25 13:43:35 UTC
On the WoW forums, players would always pontificate about whether the game was dying, and whether the next MMO would be the WoW-Killer. These type of threads would go on for years, while the game kept moving on, distributing content.

If a game get stale to you, the problem is with you. A game cannot maintain its freshness for players that have been subscribed for a number of years. It's time for those players to take a break (temporary or extended).

As a new player, EVE is incredibly fresh and exciting and I can see myself subscribing for an extended period as I explore things that many of you have already done countless times.

EVE has a proven track record and eventually people will try it out (it only took me 10 years despite always wondering about it). The game won't die out if you keep attracting and funnelling new players into the machine, and support them during their initial month. From my experience, the tutorial/career missions were solid, rookie and forum help has been top notch, and supplementary information (E-Uni does a great job) has been readily available. The only improvement that needs to happen to retain new pilots is from veteran players to provide viable corporate membership/support to get players involved with the community right away.

In summary, games don't die because long-time vets get bored and jaded provided you keep attracting/supporting new players to enjoy your niche game.
Prince Kobol
#32 - 2014-08-25 13:45:02 UTC
Only CCP can cause the death of Eve.

Marc Durant
#33 - 2014-08-25 14:00:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Marc Durant
Vyl Vit wrote:
It's inevitable this all be passed along to a younger generation coming up that already exhibits signs of lacking any intellectual or imaginative prowess.

This is a very important part. The original crew was amazing (showcased by how they made something amazing; EVE), for a long time now the newer guys have adopted the "that'll do" strategy rather than "make it amazing", they lack the talent, drive and insight.

On top of that the initial devs (and subsequently the game itself) for purely PVP focused where PVE was an afterthought, the new ones seem to lack the pvpers mindset and thus the game becomes more carebear heaven (apart from the obvious "the game becomes more corporate now that it's successful").

Yes, yes I am. Thanks for noticing.

Jenn aSide
Dreddit
#34 - 2014-08-25 14:11:08 UTC
Charax Bouclier wrote:
On the WoW forums, players would always pontificate about whether the game was dying, and whether the next MMO would be the WoW-Killer. These type of threads would go on for years, while the game kept moving on, distributing content.

What you mention here is an example of anxiety mixed with a little loss aversion. In general people try to decide if it's a good idea to invest their time in something, and part of that calculation is whether or not that thing will survive for as long as they want to be a part of it.

The speculation about when a game is going to 'die' is no different than people listening to some doomsday preacher about the end of the world, people don't like uncertainty so they seek out people with the answers, or speculate themselves.

Personally i don't worry about EVE ending any more than I worry about dying, it'll happen when it happens, in the mean time it's all hookers and blow for me (in-game, damn random drug tests and a wife with 'Whore-Radar' IRL).

Quote:

If a game get stale to you, the problem is with you. A game cannot maintain its freshness for players that have been subscribed for a number of years. It's time for those players to take a break (temporary or extended).

i've been palying EVE for 7+ years and most days I can't wait to get home from work to play. The people who think the game gets stale after a while are the people for whom a game like this CAN get stale lol. Usually those people get stuck in a rut and don't know how to get themselves out.

LUMINOUS SPIRIT
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#35 - 2014-08-25 14:14:17 UTC
Probably another 2 years it will last, somehow. But given the trends, absent a radical rethink or a EVE 2.0 announcement, it will fade.
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2014-08-25 14:16:41 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Derrick Miles wrote:
Marc Durant wrote:
*Snip* Please refrain from discussing other (non-EvE/Dust/Valkyrie) games. ISD Ezwal. That means that CCP will (have to) focus more on PVP related content to keep and enhance its niche; less super safe silliness, reverting changes that have been happening for years to make it more mainstream (or at least stopping the inevitableness of it).

Let me guess, you're a pvper.

are you not?

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

ChironV
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#37 - 2014-08-25 14:21:32 UTC
As long as they make the game engaging, complex, brutal, and addictive, I would say another 5 to 10 years. This is all dependent on CCP management not dragging the company into bankruptcy.

CCP's track record with developing other IP's has been less than stellar. Then again they are human and office politics and hubris don't make a good mix.
Syssa Binchiette
#38 - 2014-08-25 16:00:10 UTC
3 years, 7 months, 25 days, 4 hours, 36 minutes, 29 seconds.

or not.

It's only water, in a stranger's tear. Looks are deceptive, but distinctions are clear. A foreign body and foreign mind; never welcome in the land of the blind.

Decian Cor
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#39 - 2014-08-25 16:48:20 UTC
Mark my words.....next tuesday.

[u]Unfiltered for the masses.[/u]

http://imgur.com/mzSl1Ie

Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#40 - 2014-08-25 18:20:11 UTC
apparently it lasts longer then interest to this thread.