These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Role-playing racism

First post
Author
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#101 - 2014-08-24 06:12:04 UTC
Sentamon wrote:
HankMurphy wrote:
What do you mean... ' you people ' ??

Easy there Al Sharpton, there's no money to be made race baiting here.

Did you mean Al Sharpton or Robert Downey, Jr.?

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#102 - 2014-08-24 06:27:31 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Jarod Garamonde wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

Yeah I know Caldari and Gallente are whitey McWhitebreads for the most part but then racism is not logical to begin with.

Considering that the Amarr Empire is twice the population of all four of the other main races, combined, white folks are actually a minority.

And, to be fair, Squids are half-Japanese/half-German, so they're not even really white.
And, aren't Gallente a mix of French, English, and all the Mediterranean ethnicities? I guess that's white-ish. But, not really, because Italians, Greeks, Turks, and whatever people from Monaco are called.... not white.
Minmatar are black Vikings. I don't even understand how it's physically possible to hate them... but, since when do Amarrians make any bleedin sense?

As long as I can still call Caldari "fish-eating squirrel bastards", we're in good shape.

Yeah CCP really throws us for loops with the lore behind these races. Every attempt to compare them to a RL race or nation fails too. I have given up on understanding them years ago.

Why try to compare in game anything to RL. I think that's how so many people get butt hurt. Tell someone they're doing something stupid in game and they act as if you hate them in RL... I don't know you in RL... For all I know they could be a nun.

It does bother me when people try to introduce aspects of racism and hate based on past RL events and incorporate it in the game. My biggest dislike of any RL association is if I wanted RL I wouldn't be playing Eve. I'm playing to get a break from the madness.
Derrick Miles
Death Rabbit Ky Oneida
#103 - 2014-08-24 06:33:03 UTC
Ion Kirst wrote:
. . . now on another note, I guess it is allowed to make fun of RL challenged people. I have a daughter who has Downs. When I complained to CCP about some bios, they said they'd "look into it". No other responses, the bios haven't been changed.

So, I guess it's hard to see where CCP's morals/ethics are really at. If they allow that, then anything else is OK.

-Kirst

That's unfortunately something that happens often in gaming communities, probably due to the anonymity and people thinking that a game environment makes it ok to disparage people. It's still a serious concern though, and if I were you I would ask for the ticket to get escalated. The GMs do their best to get to all the tickets sorted but I think they get swamped sometimes.
Grog Aftermath
Doomheim
#104 - 2014-08-24 09:51:31 UTC
Derrick Miles wrote:
Ion Kirst wrote:
. . . now on another note, I guess it is allowed to make fun of RL challenged people. I have a daughter who has Downs. When I complained to CCP about some bios, they said they'd "look into it". No other responses, the bios haven't been changed.

So, I guess it's hard to see where CCP's morals/ethics are really at. If they allow that, then anything else is OK.

-Kirst

That's unfortunately something that happens often in gaming communities, probably due to the anonymity and people thinking that a game environment makes it ok to disparage people. It's still a serious concern though, and if I were you I would ask for the ticket to get escalated. The GMs do their best to get to all the tickets sorted but I think they get swamped sometimes.

Yeah, sometimes the line between fantasy and reality becomes blurred for some people. But iirc (without looking) CCP have provided for this in the EULA, along the lines of RP can't be used as an excuse.
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#105 - 2014-08-24 11:20:17 UTC
Grog Aftermath wrote:

Yeah, sometimes the line between fantasy and reality becomes blurred for some people.

People that can't separate game from reality need immediate bans for their safety and that of others.

If we had to worry about offending ever single random idiot on the planet and their pet sensitivity, we quite literally couldn't function.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Robert Sawyer
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#106 - 2014-08-24 11:23:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Robert Sawyer
Amarr - Bible thumpers
Caldari - Corporate goblins
Gallente - Democratic sloths
Minmatar - Bible thumper haters

Robert Sawyer, a racist guide to the races of New Eden

Edit: When one cannot tell the difference between the real world and a game, players can get hurt too, not only the characters.

"And when, at last, the moment is yours, that agony will become your greatest triumph."

Solecist Project
#107 - 2014-08-24 11:29:15 UTC
Robert Sawyer wrote:
Amarr - Bible thumpers
Caldari - Corporate goblins
Gallente - Democratic sloths
Minmatar - Bible thumper haters

Robert Sawyer, a racist guide to the races of New Eden

Edit: When one cannot tell the difference between the real world and a game, players can get hurt too, not only the characters.

You're calling me a sloth?

Just because I love being in bed all day?
Prefferably not alone?

Pffffffffff ............................................

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Celise Katelo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#108 - 2014-08-24 12:01:53 UTC
I "Wiggle" my Gila as you see me cruise past. It's my Boom box of Bling P

EVEBoard ...Just over 60million skill points, each skill was chosen for a reason. I closed my eyes & clicked another skill to train... "BINGO...!!!" ... "This time i got something usefull"

ctx2007
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#109 - 2014-08-24 19:52:53 UTC
Twisted nice to see I hate bible thumbers

You only realise you life has been a waste of time, when you wake up dead.

45thtiger 0109
Pan-Intergalatic Business Community
#110 - 2014-08-24 23:03:22 UTC
Baneken wrote:
♫♪♫ THE HAPPY SONG ~ If You're Happy And You Know It - Pod Amarr If you cannot find Caldari, Pod Amarr The Minnie are too frisky, Gallente is looking shifty - Pod Amarr ♫♪♫

I Lolled Big smile

**You Have to take the good with the bad and the bad with the good.

Welcome to EvE OnLiNe**

Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
#111 - 2014-08-25 06:24:31 UTC
Yang Aurilen wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Abrazzar wrote:
I guess if you restrict yourself to prejudice described in the lore and only apply it to the appropriate in game races, it would be hard to construct a real life case of racism out of it. Just avoid using terms deemed racist in real life.

Pretty much.

How about the gallente and french? I mean if a real life french player is in galmil I'll call him a frog since he's galmil. I'll prolly add in some surrender banter too.

Which is funny because in the last thousand years or so they've won more often than lost. Historical examples of spectacular failures and hubris notwithstanding, the whole spectrum of anti-French stuff you can come up with was made up very recently by people who have barely any history at all and feel bad about that.
But yeah, that would introduce RL sectarian garbage into a place clearer than most.

Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#112 - 2014-08-25 06:37:20 UTC
Chopper Rollins wrote:

Which is funny because in the last thousand years or so they've won more often than lost. Historical examples of spectacular failures and hubris notwithstanding, the whole spectrum of anti-French stuff you can come up with was made up very recently by people who have barely any history at all and feel bad about that.
But yeah, that would introduce RL sectarian garbage into a place clearer than most.

Jeanne d'Arc, the mid- to late 1600s, Napoleon, and the French military support for the American Revolutionary War are all interesting studies in this regard..

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#113 - 2014-08-25 23:23:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Jarod Garamonde
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

Yeah CCP really throws us for loops with the lore behind these races. Every attempt to compare them to a RL race or nation fails too. I have given up on understanding them years ago.

GRRM tried that, too.
I mean, come on..... if it's not plainly obvious that Dothraki = Pre-Islam Arabs, Dorne = Italy/Greece/Turkey, and Braavos = Spain, you're not paying enough attention to any cultures outside the USA, let alone the history behind them.

I tried to explain the EVE races to family, because my mother, a few of my cousins, and one of my brothers asked what the game was all about and what "Gallente" means. Here's what came out of my unhinged brain:

"Cursory Guide to the Different Races in EVE Online:
Gallente: Descended from Italians, Greeks, Portuguese, and French, with a government styled exactly like the one modern-day American Libertarians want. Pretty much laid-back space hedonists, but will jack you up, oldschool if you actually manage to **** them off.

Caldari: The fascist/corporatist result of the Japanese and Germans piling into a spaceship and setting off to a distant solar system. Everyone knows their place and stays in it. Unfeeling and driven by only two things: money and f**king HATING the Gallenteans.

Minmatar: Black Vikings. I'm not even joking. Seriously one of the coolest concepts for a sci-fi race, EVER. Using archaic technology and ships that look like they were pieced together in a junkyard, they still manage to routinely rip the other races' faces off and wear them.... as long as the fight doesn't last TOO long.

Amarr: What would happen if you crossed Catholics and Muslims, let them do all the things they actually want to do with society, and then gave them laser beams? The Amarr. Seriously scary culture. Good thing their ships suck.

Jovians: You can't play as these guys. Genetically modified badasses that could utterly steamroll the other races if they weren't so busy being depressed and reclusive. Originally conceptualized as actual aliens, but later toned down to just transhuman walking science labs. The developer employees used to all have characters of the Jovian race, but that inexplicably got tossed out a few years ago. Presumably because some players just will not stop asking "so when do we get to play as Jovians?""

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]