These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

I learned something about the community tonight.

First post
Author
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#21 - 2014-08-23 03:17:03 UTC
Bohneik Itohn wrote:
I've seen bios on Eve characters filled with incest erotica. That was laughably pathetic compared to Archeage tonight. And I do believe I've seen TEST thrusting their neckbeards about a time or two. No big deal there either.

Sourpuss all you want about your experience with Local chat, after tonight I'm giving it a 10/10.

*sigh*

PM chat log pics, please.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#22 - 2014-08-23 03:32:00 UTC
I think there are a few things that help contribute to the EVE community being a tad more civil than others. One of them is the fact that the target audience tends to be a bit older than most other MMO's.
Another is the potential for real consequences in game for what transpires over channels and on the forums....
Whenever I see Cannibal Kane post with "Why hello there future war target." I can't help but feel a perverse mixture of delight and pity for the fate of the poor soul in question.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Pix Severus
Empty You
#23 - 2014-08-23 03:37:24 UTC
There are a large amount of gamers out there who join every new MMO as they are released. Like locusts, they swarm to these new MMOs and suck them dry of any content before moving onto the next latest MMO, leaving the previous one a barren wasteland which eventually gets shut down/made free to play.

MTU Hunter: Latest Entry - June 12 2017 - Vocal Local 5

MTU Hunting 101: Comprehensive Guide

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#24 - 2014-08-23 04:30:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Well, certain games just have a broader appeal for that age group that thinks its cool to make a fool of yourself to get noticed. They haven't figured out yet that getting noticed for the wrong reasons can have the opposite effect, especially in EVE.

We've recently had an excellent example of a group that thought doing something really stupid and rude would get them the attention they craved, and instead made them the laughing stocks of EVE.

Not the rage filled, tear provoking reaction they were looking for.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#25 - 2014-08-23 04:30:37 UTC
That's because we can chat with autocannons. Those other MMOs limit your methods of resolving the dilemma of who is the bigger doodyhead.

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#26 - 2014-08-23 04:58:17 UTC
Charles Muffins wrote:
Ya, EVE has one of the worst communities out there, half of them are just jerks.

While I don't personally agree with your view, even in your view, surely that means half the community are not jerks?

That's a lot of cool people playing this game.
Harrison Tato
Yamato Holdings
#27 - 2014-08-23 05:05:08 UTC
Omar Alharazaad wrote:
I think there are a few things that help contribute to the EVE community being a tad more civil than others. One of them is the fact that the target audience tends to be a bit older than most other MMO's.
Another is the potential for real consequences in game for what transpires over channels and on the forums....
Whenever I see Cannibal Kane post with "Why hello there future war target." I can't help but feel a perverse mixture of delight and pity for the fate of the poor soul in question.

He chickened out on our corp
Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#28 - 2014-08-23 05:19:14 UTC
Super. You may claim your cookie at Jita 4-4.
My point was more in reference to the overall eve community at large, with an example given.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#29 - 2014-08-23 05:19:40 UTC
Bohneik Itohn wrote:
So I managed to get into the Archeage closed beta and I logged in tonight. I usually try to get in the betas for most MMO's even if I don't intend to play them, just to get a feel for them and an overall feel for where the industry is heading.

Anyone who has played a couple MMO's can tell you that their general/global chat is the worst out of all the varieties of games that have large chat channels. The best MMO general chat is a filthy cesspit of depravity, bigotry and sexism at the best of times in comparison to pretty much any other variety of community at the worst of times.

I generally can ignore the worst of it. Tonight I blocked all of the global chat channels in Archeage in less than 5 minutes.

I haven't blocked anyone except for spammers in Eve, and no one on the forums. Thanks Eve community for keeping it classy. Blink

Go back to... wait what?

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Don Purple
Snuggle Society
Pandemic Horde
#30 - 2014-08-23 07:49:49 UTC
I never look at the chat chanels in alpha, i do have a trials channel though for lols

I am just here to snuggle and do spy stuff.

Erufen Rito
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#31 - 2014-08-23 08:19:13 UTC
Ssabat Thraxx wrote:
Chat channels in Eve appear "classier" to you because they're actually moderated a lot more heavily than most people realize. There's a certain "chilling effect" this has on some people who would otherwise be perhaps a little more irreverent or non-respectful of the "sacred cows" that exist even in the "rough and tumble" world of Eve. No examples can be given, because rules.

This is so far off the mark. You have never been buttfished before, have you? Or run incursions for that matter. TVP has a few secret channels where some of the better stuff happens. Hell, I have a channel where only certain people gather, and all the stuff we post and share is a few levels above "inappropriate". Here i am still.

This is as nice as I get. Best quote ever https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4137165#post4137165

Vyl Vit
#32 - 2014-08-23 10:36:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Vyl Vit
I beta test a lot, too. Have done for going on twenty years now. Yes, the global chat channels are being over run by an ilk these days that defies the continuance of Western Civilization. If I saw the lot of them walking up the side of a street, it'd be hard to keep from TURNING that wheel...kwim?

People talk bad about us. We talk bad about ourselves and each other, but I have to agree with you. This is an intelligent, cogent and witty bunch of people here. The insults are witty, and even the arch-evil entity we call our own (Goonwaffles, you know who you are) are loveable in a weird kind of way! We're lucky we've found each other.

This bunch from Iceland? Yeah, we yank their chains now and then,
but they've put the best thing in gaming together here.

I guess a little arrogance can't be helped. Now, if we could just get a bridle on these ISDs.
Mua ha ha ha ha.

Paradise is like where you are right now, only much, much better.

Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2014-08-23 10:55:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Barton Breau
We also have significantly less people dancing on mailboxes, thanks community.

Enable atleast region wide public chat and you will arrive at a similar result as general, if you dont believe me, make a trial account and read the rookie channel for a few hours (without the pvp drama ofc).
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#34 - 2014-08-23 10:58:39 UTC
Harrison Tato wrote:
Omar Alharazaad wrote:

I would like just like to point out, You all left corp when I wardecced it.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#35 - 2014-08-23 11:05:42 UTC
Cannibal Kane wrote:
Harrison Tato wrote:
Omar Alharazaad wrote:

*Offers medical treatment to Harrison Tato for the burn he just suffered.*

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#36 - 2014-08-23 12:45:59 UTC
In general I would say the EVE community is a bit more mature than other communities as long as the topic does not involve women, then it usually becomes a complete kindergarten, which is a shame.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#37 - 2014-08-23 12:51:15 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
In general I would say the EVE community is a bit more mature than other communities as long as the topic does not involve women, then it usually becomes a complete kindergarten, which is a shame.

Id say that has a lot to do with the fact that those of us that live with women know better than to speak about them here and just laugh at the rest of ye (not you specificallyBlink)
stoicfaux
#38 - 2014-08-23 12:58:30 UTC
Posting in a stealth criticism-of-CCP's-inability-to-implement-a-global-across-all-nodes-chat-channel thread.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

BrundleMeth
State War Academy
Caldari State
#39 - 2014-08-23 13:01:59 UTC
Ive seen over the years many Corps and Chat channels COMPLETELY ruined by one new big mouth jerk that joins the group driving people away...
Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#40 - 2014-08-23 13:10:32 UTC
Cannibal Kane wrote:
Harrison Tato wrote:
Omar Alharazaad wrote:

Oh snap. Well then, my whole point about accountability does need to be clarified in the sense that those who are willing to stand by their words can be held accountable, assuming they don't spout drivel while utilizing craven methods such as wardec evasion or employing npc forum alts. Better? Hope so.
Ultimately the rest of us have what's left of our reputations and credibility on the line whenever we open our mouths, and as such tend not to act like an eight year old on a public minecraft server. Usually.