These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

In need of inspiration

Author
Kremlyn Aldard
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2014-08-21 19:12:23 UTC
I'm really struggling to log on at the moment.

I've played on and off for almost a year, tried out a few things, lived in high/low/null, joined a few corps, created my own corp so on and so on....

....but i'm beginning to feel Eve's biggest strength - the sandbox principle - is also its biggest weakness. I'm supposed to create my own content - but I keep asking, to what end? I'm not the sort of person who can derive fun by mindlessly killing. It seems rather pointless to kill for isk. Everything I consider - and I've been chewing this over for a few weeks - seems to fly headlong into a cul-de-sac.

I imagine in the early days when there was much space to conquer it was exciting - a little like playing civilisation or similar. But just like the real world, huge power blocs form leading to static cold wars. This was my general impression of living in null. And if you do go and live in null, the sandbox ethos is thrown out of the window - a concentration camp with brutalist commandants seems a better description of nulllife.

But, it is not my intention to slur Eve. It is the most incredible online experience I have ever plugged. Its got under my skin. I only have to see a screenshot - like the one on my desktop - and I'm itching to play. But....I now find myself logging on for half an hour and thinking...hmm, apart from staring at the pretty visuals I really can't think of anything to do...and I log out and do something else.

Exploration used to be my biggest enterprise, but hacking the same sites over and over for a few isk...well, it soon gets you down.

So - forgive the wall of text - how do you vets do it? What keeps you playing? I'm really considering unsubbing at the end of the month; if anyone can inspire me otherwise I'd be grateful.
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#2 - 2014-08-21 19:15:20 UTC
Taking a break from the game for a month or longer works wonders. Everything will (probably) still be here when you get back.

Life > EVE

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Leoric Firesword
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2014-08-21 19:19:12 UTC
Goals and the right group of people.

If it weren't for goals I've made for myself I'd have already quit. If it weren't for the great group of people I fly with, I'd have never reached some of those goals and would have quit.

I create my own content without ever knowing that I've created it until after it's done and over with.
Drago Shouna
Doomheim
#4 - 2014-08-21 19:19:32 UTC
Play a different game running alongside this, I do. That way instead of just thinking about EvE you spread your mind over different things.

This game sucks you in and is hard to shake loose, I appreciate that.

Get a few fb games or something to take your mind in a different direction, it works.

Solecist Project...." They refuse to play by the rules and laws of the game and use it as excuse ..." " They don't care about how you play as long as they get to play how they want."

Welcome to EVE.

Kremlyn Aldard
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2014-08-21 19:34:36 UTC
Yup - I need a goal. Not sure what though.
There was much talk about colonisation in a previous patch. I wouldn't mind building a home somewhere, an asteroid colony or something. Something that takes time to build...and then, of course, to defend. That would keep me hooked. I don't really understand why we have to live in static stations.

But, anyway, enough dreaming. Thanks for your suggestions : )
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#6 - 2014-08-21 20:39:55 UTC
Eve is a lot like real life, which is one of its issues. Eve is not much a game, its more like a second life. Casual and progress in eve don't mesh up well.

Like real life you need to figure out what you enjoy about eve and focus on that.

I'll use me for exsample:

I came to eve in march of 2004 after the announcement that Earth and Beyond was closing. EnB was the only mmo I found that I did not mind the grind. So an old guild mate invided me and my two irl friends, also in his guild, to eve.

I tried it and was bored like crazy after the first week. Missions felt like 'run around kill **** with sticks get xp' types of games and I hated that. My old guild friend went 'well if pve is not your thing, try mining' so I said 'ok if this sucks i'll leave' I tried mining and fell madly in love with it. My focus for most of my first year in eve was mining.

In 04 I made a corp with my buddies that died, then we joined ASCN, I was a huge miner, so that's what my focus was. About 2005, I got into the idea of being a ceo so I made my own corp. This changed my focus and I got my second wind for a few months. Then I got into being an eve radio DJ, that gave me another boost.

in 2006, I was starting to wane a bit, my corp had moved to Derelik and we were part of the then DJTF (Derelik Joint Task Force) it was an anti pirate group trying to clear out PRats in Derelik. This was when I learned bounty hunting.. mm sucks.

Anyway I had a small boost then we talked of making an alliance. So we did. a month after we formed BoS I got married and took a month break from eve (cross country honeymoon)

When I came back alliance was in shamples so I took control and did that for about 2 years.

2008 I was getting tired of eve, after my alliance died, was struggling to want to play, then I heard about Apocarytpo and wormholes and that made me start focusing on working to get the skills to do wormholes.

2009 I was one of the first wormhole corps, and thing were ok. We then made my current alliance, and through a series of randomness, we got an offer from Vanguard. to live in Outter Ring.

2009 (towards the end, might be earily 10) Dominion hit, and one of my directors took space. So I went with it.

I would up running 30 pos' alone, I was stressed and getting annoyed, I was also running an alliance, and my wife was preggers.

End of 2010 I lost my first and only nyx a month after having it, my alliance got scamed for 25b and we got steam rolled. I took a break of a year for the birth of my son.

2011 towards the end, I got a message that an old alliance was reforming, IAC so I get exicited and did that. Then that got mother balled and I came back to net 7.

I've been dicking around since 2012.

My point is, like real life, you need to find what you love in eve and do that. As you do that you will meet new people and get new oppertuities. Which then open new stuff to try. In my 10.5 years here, I have only really had burn out once. I has lull periods where I ide not knowing what to do, but usually i'll see or hear something that will spark me to move.

If you are bored, then you need to take a min and figure out what you like doing, whatever that is, and focus on that.

for me it was:

mining which lead to ceo which lead to alliance leadership which lead to wars for sov which lead to wormholes which lead to rebuilding.

All it takes s oen thing you enjoy, and play the game as a game then you will see that things will come your way and make you go 'huh.. I'd like to try that...' and before you know it you are on year 10 going 'damn I been here a while'

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Altirius Saldiaro
Doomheim
#7 - 2014-08-21 22:26:45 UTC
OP, have you tried wormhole life yet? Thats the most fun I've ever had in EvE, aside from the pre-nerf incursion days when isk/hr made it fun and competitive. W-Space life is fun.
Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
Brave Collective
#8 - 2014-08-21 23:37:45 UTC
Just like RL if i get bored i get into trouble.
Unlike RL trouble in EvE is usually pretty good fun.
Find your place on the slider between boredom and terror.

Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Muce Rayvn
Radical Industries
#9 - 2014-08-22 00:18:22 UTC
I have been away from EVE for many years, I found the main thing keeping me playing was my corp, good bunch of people. I'm back and looking for new adventure and hoping to find a new group of people. As other's have said, people and goals.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#10 - 2014-08-22 01:29:47 UTC
Kremlyn Aldard wrote:
There was much talk about colonisation in a previous patch. I wouldn't mind building a home somewhere, an asteroid colony or something. Something that takes time to build...and then, of course, to defend. That would keep me hooked. I don't really understand why we have to live in static stations.

Wormholes.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Paynus Maiassus
Capital Munitions
#11 - 2014-08-22 01:41:26 UTC
Kremlyn Aldard wrote:
I'm really struggling to log on at the moment.

I've played on and off for almost a year, tried out a few things, lived in high/low/null, joined a few corps, created my own corp so on and so on....

....but i'm beginning to feel Eve's biggest strength - the sandbox principle - is also its biggest weakness. I'm supposed to create my own content - but I keep asking, to what end? I'm not the sort of person who can derive fun by mindlessly killing. It seems rather pointless to kill for isk. Everything I consider - and I've been chewing this over for a few weeks - seems to fly headlong into a cul-de-sac.

I imagine in the early days when there was much space to conquer it was exciting - a little like playing civilisation or similar. But just like the real world, huge power blocs form leading to static cold wars. This was my general impression of living in null. And if you do go and live in null, the sandbox ethos is thrown out of the window - a concentration camp with brutalist commandants seems a better description of nulllife.

But, it is not my intention to slur Eve. It is the most incredible online experience I have ever plugged. Its got under my skin. I only have to see a screenshot - like the one on my desktop - and I'm itching to play. But....I now find myself logging on for half an hour and thinking...hmm, apart from staring at the pretty visuals I really can't think of anything to do...and I log out and do something else.

Exploration used to be my biggest enterprise, but hacking the same sites over and over for a few isk...well, it soon gets you down.

So - forgive the wall of text - how do you vets do it? What keeps you playing? I'm really considering unsubbing at the end of the month; if anyone can inspire me otherwise I'd be grateful.

I recommend making an attempt to join Goonswarm. Their sky is always blue. Then, after they **** you over, you'll have someone to hate. Instant raison d'être. Join N3 or Battlement and slake your bloodlust.
Ocih
Space Mermaids
Somethin Awfull Forums
#12 - 2014-08-22 04:30:11 UTC
You could waste a fair amount of time building a 'back up plan'. Find a backwater system with a level 3 security agent, draw up a list of assets you would always want your character to have access to and begin stocking up. Get the level 3 agent to where you can run missions. A level 3 is light content, you won't need too much to run them. A safe house of sorts. I have a few. They have PvP assets, PvE assets and some industrial. Nest eggs for the day things might fly off the rails all together.
Pok Nibin
Doomheim
#13 - 2014-08-22 07:57:05 UTC
Yeah, we aren't joking when we say it's the game we love to hate...or hate to love...?

The right to free speech doesn't automatically carry with it the right to be taken seriously.

metalravenous
Pyramid Celestial
#14 - 2014-08-22 08:00:04 UTC
i didnt read anything and im just going to suggest you biomass and save yourself anymore pain
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#15 - 2014-08-22 08:42:18 UTC
Was going to say that your struggle to log on most likely were due to the attacks preventing us from logging on...

But really, take a two week break and come back with a refreshed sense of wanting to log on. Does wonders.

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Tao Dolcino
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2014-08-22 10:13:29 UTC
Kremlyn Aldard wrote:

Sounds like Wormspace would be a thing for you : you have a station yes, but your neighbours always change. There's no sovereignty system, so no big blob. The most important will be for you to find the right group : active and motivated but also relaxed and nice people to share the adventure.
In the other hand, Maybe something more concrete would make you more happy, life a real life hobby, something creative maybe, something you could share with people too. Have a check at the associative/cultural life where you live. You could be surprised.
Solecist Project
#17 - 2014-08-22 11:19:15 UTC
Content is reated through interaction with others,
not just by killing people.

Go outside and approach a random person and start talking.

BAM, content created.

The fact that you don't realise this obvious thing tells something about you.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Felicity Love
Doomheim
#18 - 2014-08-22 12:29:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Felicity Love
"Bunnies and Rainbows" answer: My kids... they are always an inspiration.

"Official EVE related answer" : Every drunken, stoned and/or intoxicated idiot in the game that has ever punched in a purchase amount with way too many zeroes, in my favour.

P

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Omar Alharazaad
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#19 - 2014-08-22 12:29:44 UTC
As above. Engage some of the newbros in dialogue, with or without blasterfire... their choice. Sometimes helping out others who are quite a bit more lost than you can help you find your own direction.
Sometimes you can just start up a chat with them and things go from there. Sometimes you have to rattle their cage a bit before they'll respond to you. Either way you may end up discovering new aspects of the game you haven't tried yet that revitalize it for you.
With a universe that has so many options to possibly pursue, it's easy to get overwhelmed by the directions you can take... and find yourself just spinning in circles.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Rayo Atra
Guardians of the Volatile Wine
#20 - 2014-08-22 13:49:14 UTC
Omar Alharazaad wrote:
As above. Engage some of the newbros in dialogue, with or without blasterfire... their choice. Sometimes helping out others who are quite a bit more lost than you can help you find your own direction.
Sometimes you can just start up a chat with them and things go from there. Sometimes you have to rattle their cage a bit before they'll respond to you. Either way you may end up discovering new aspects of the game you haven't tried yet that revitalize it for you.
With a universe that has so many options to possibly pursue, it's easy to get overwhelmed by the directions you can take... and find yourself just spinning in circles.

This works well for me. Find some eager freshys, and lead them down a hole, or run some DED's, or get some frigs and bother FW people. You'll end-up cracking up, and oozing content.

Tell you what I do like though: A killer. A dyed-in-the-wool killer. Cold-blooded, clean, methodical and thorough.

-Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg

12Next page